Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2011, 20:35   #766
BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
But if the imported boron-steel panels are the reason, then I wouldn't be completely convinced either! In India, a car made of ordinary steel at about 50-75k lesser would have sold well I feel
Figo was built to a cost.

With the new Fiesta, Ford has been a little extravagant, hoping that customers in this segment may be a little less price-conscious (past examples include the earlier-not-at-all-VFM City and to some extent, the Vento) - they have obviously not built it to a cost. Lets see how the market responds !
Old 15th July 2011, 20:43   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive
As was said above, it brought up the wrong set of eyeballs to their cars. The 7-8L bracket instead of the 10-12L bracket
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
They could have very well get away with this pricing, had they brought in the car before Verna did.
What that meant was that, they had people comfortable with that price point waiting for the NFF launch. And ones looking for a more premium (read higher priced one) deciding for the Fluidic and Vento. Now, some people in the waiting list may shift to the NFF.

Coming in before might have helped, but a lot more people were likely to have waited for the Fluidic, given how impressive it looked on paper and in the pictures.

Quote:
I read recently that Maruti just got their license for the 1.6 MJD. How come then ?
No idea mate! I just read and quoted the tweet.

Quote:
They do make good engines. When they plonk it in their machine, they don't do the tuning well [gear ratios?]. We just saw that a 90 bhp engine was plonked into the Punto and still could not make the car much faster than the 75 bhp. Imagine the same engine in a Swift. I know this is partially because of the weight factor, still !
Ahh! Now I get it. They can't use their engines well enough. I thought you were referring to the amount of air-fuel in the chamber etc. - the ECU settings etc.
Old 15th July 2011, 20:50   #768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
You have mentioned some important plus points there. I will suggest you to follow the standard procedure you have followed – do a TD and see if you like it. I don’t how much of euphoria is there for the VW brand in India. For me both VW and Ford is people’s car in their respective country of origin. And in International markets, their cars in respective segments are always chosen for a comparison – e.g.; Golf v/s Focus, Passat v/s Mondeo. I feel your choice will narrow down to New Fiesta v/s New Jetta
Oh, I shall be test driving it. Apart from the pricing which I thought was on the higher side for a car with Ford's brand value (irrespective of the features it offers, given that competitors can incorporate similar features for a similar price), the rest of the car seems to meet my requirements better than most of the other cars I have driven, save for the current Jetta, which is as over priced as the Ford (5L more for slightly more space, power, and better interiors, 4 additional airbags, though not as well equipped) is also quite high!
Hopefully the new Jetta retains its fun to drive genes, otherwise, it looks like the fiesta.
Old 15th July 2011, 20:56   #769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don’t how much of euphoria is there for the VW brand in India. For me both VW and Ford is people’s car in their respective country of origin. And in International markets, their cars in respective segments are always chosen for a comparison – e.g.; Golf v/s Focus, Passat v/s Mondeo. I feel your choice will narrow down to New Fiesta v/s New Jetta
Volkswagen translates as people's car in german still New Fiesta Vs New Jetta is quite a hardsell , ! You deserve to be the brand ambassador for the Fiesta
When you are comparing Ford vs VW there are certain flaws in your arguement :-
1. We should primarily take into account the positioning of ford in India - can we deny that its positioning is as a price warrior rather than as a premium badge ? Figo , Fiesta , Ikon built up decent volumes at cut throat pricing and none realistically ever had the pricing power ( like Honda City , Toyota Innova, Zen are examples). Its premium offerings such as Mondeo, Endeavour bombed big time in this same market.
2. Even internationally VW enjoys premium pricing as compared to similar cars - whether its justified or not thats open to debate but the fact is that it does enjoy a certain bit of pricing power . Ford has too much baggage in India to get away by charging a premium whatever be the features .

Thats my opinion but I would be happy to be proved wrong . At the end of the day the more the choices for us , the better it is for us . I am all for bigger bang for the buck , would love to afford a top of the line Ferrari before I take to a walking stick

Last edited by souravc : 15th July 2011 at 21:19.
Old 15th July 2011, 21:17   #770
BHPian

I would have still traded my old Corolla for the new Fiesta even at these prices, if it had a turbo charged engine belting out 160bhp, petrol or diesel does not matter, a dual clutch GB and discs at the rear. Then I would have compared it with the Laura, and the pricing would have looked alright.
Old 15th July 2011, 21:23   #771
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry to disagree Xingamazon; Ford should be lauded for not following the norm and provide a stripped down version of an international car. I am not a hardcore Ford fan; but I would like this car to be a success. Reason – Here is a mainstream manufacturer who has provided us with an international model, with no India-specific cost cutting measures whatsoever. Before this, Honda has shown the way with providing us with relevant models and standard safety features across all variants. I personally support these kinds of manufacturers more than the Toyota / VW way.
to you vb-san. I completely agree with what you say. Kudos to Ford for offering safety features standard on even the base variant. There are hardly any manufacturers who bring their almost identical international model to india, ford has done this now. I dislike Toyota's method of cost-cutting. It is evident in the Etios & Liva where even the doors do not have a rubber beading.
Also, the argument that Ford should have used Indian steel instead of Boron steel (used in expensive cars) is ridiculous.
carfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 21:25   #772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
can we deny that its positioning is as a price warrior rather than as a premium badge ? Figo , Fiesta , Ikon built up decent volumes at cut throat pricing and none realistically ever had the pricing power ( like Honda City , Toyota Innova, Zen are examples). Its premium offerings such as Mondeo, Endeavour bombed big time in this same market.
I agree Ford is not in a position to price its cars more than the competition. Be it the Badge value, be it the A.S.S be it reliability. But the fact is if you demand premium pricing you have to put something worth in it.

Lets consider T-Jet for example.
It costs more than the petrols in the segment.
Does Fiat have the authority to price their cars High? No.
So is T-Jet overpriced? No.
Why? It has something worth in it. A turbo, 16" alloys, all disc brakes, excellent engine as well as handling and also some flashy features.

Fiesta?
It has a 1.5L instead of 1.6.
Space is not that great.
Interior part quality has nothing to write home about.
The real styling literally sucks.

All it has got is some fancy features which a normal person can very well do without.
Old 15th July 2011, 21:32   #773
Senior - BHPian

Even I had visited Ford dealership almost 2 weeks back and it was great to see the Salesmen pumped and excited about the Fiesta. I am thinking even they did not have an idea on the pricing them.

Like I mentioned before the way Ford was playing it, let alone the customer even dealers were must have been taken aback by the pricing.

Again I am not saying its wrong or something. But probably had they given some feelers, especially to the dealership guys. They would have made sure that any walk ins would have received the feeler that the price is not in 7L range. This would have helped a lot.

But @VB-SAN I guess you got me wrong on other hand, I really appreciate the fact that Ford is the segment first to get the safety stuff all even in Base model. A real hats off to them, for showing some courage in this front. Atleast for this effort I am wishing the model is a success eventually making sure that these are mandatory in all the cars in India.
Given the fact that the Govt is not mandating them. Its great if the market drives these changes.

Last edited by xingamazon : 15th July 2011 at 21:35.
xingamazon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 21:36   #774
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Volkswagen translates as people's car in german still New Fiesta Vs New Jetta is quite a hardsell , ! You deserve to be the brand ambassador for the Fiesta
Sourav, I accept the sarcasm in your comment. Forget me, even Mr. Boneham will not do a comparison of Fiesta v/s Jetta
My comment was a specific answer to the post from Lamborghini, and he very well understood it and replied accordingly. To get some history, refer to the last page of this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ta-tdci-6.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc
When you are comparing Ford vs VW there are certain flaws in your arguement :-
1. We should primarily take into account the positioning of ford in India - can we deny that its positioning is as a price warrior rather than as a premium badge ? Figo , Fiesta , Ikon built up decent volumes at cut throat pricing and none realistically ever had the pricing power ( like Honda City , Toyota Innova, Zen are examples). Its premium offerings such as Mondeo, Endeavour bombed big time in this same market.
2. Even internationally VW enjoys premium pricing as compared to similar cars - whether its justified or not thats open to debate but the fact is that it does enjoy a certain bit of pricing power . Ford has too much baggage in India to get away by charging a premium whatever be the features .

Thats my opinion but I would be happy to be proved wrong . At the end of the day the more the choices for us , the better it is for us . I am all for bigger bang for the buck , would love to afford a top of the line Ferrari before I take to a walking stick
Not denying your points. But that said, there is no rule that they should not launch a premium product in India. Whether this car is a success or not, I hope other manufacturers will take this path. And my comparison with VW was with specific examples.

On a side note, tomorrow if VW raise the price of Vento by a couple of lakhs, and provide it with Jetta/Passat like quality and features, you possibly will say that I am a brand ambassador for VW
Old 15th July 2011, 21:53   #775
BHPian

I do not think any other thread moved as fast as this thread. Let us see how the opinions will be once people get to test drive the car.

I am only few weeks away from going ahead with my purchase and as of now I am thinking - Chevy Optra Magnum LT. Will wait till I TD the new Fiesta.

One thing that bothers me a lot is - Ford has given so much in the front, the dash is great, features excellent but how could they not have a rear arm rest with concealed hinges? How difficult was that?

Last edited by NoRules : 15th July 2011 at 21:55.
Old 15th July 2011, 22:07   #776
BHPian

Mods : It would have been better if we add a poll here
vvvinod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 22:47   #777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Reason – Here is a mainstream manufacturer who has provided us with an international model, with no India-specific cost cutting measures whatsoever. Before this, Honda has shown the way with providing us with relevant models and standard safety features across all variants. I personally support these kinds of manufacturers more than the Toyota / VW way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
There are hardly any manufacturers who bring their almost identical international model to india, ford has done this now.
Just one minor correction - the base car model might be at par across the globe, but there are differences (and quite a few of them!) between the Fiesta available in India, and (for e.g.) Australia (please do have a look at Ford Australia Fiesta).

Now I wouldn't label it as cost-cutting, but we are yet to reach a point where a car manufacturer offers us the same model as in developed countries.

From a marketing perspective, pricing is as important as the product (4Ps anyone?) However good the Fiesta might be, if the pricing ain't right, it's not going to matter a lot however great the product might be.
Honda did it with the Jazz, now Ford is on the same way with Fiesta.
Old 15th July 2011, 23:30   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
  • Leather upholstery
  • 5 alloy wheels (spare wheel is an alloy unike Fiesta)
  • 16" wheels against 15"
  • All wheel disk brakes (unlike front disk & rear drums)
  • 6 air-bags
  • Cooled glove box,
Did I miss something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Nope, you're spot on, I'd gone into their site after I posted & checked.
The biggest point : reverse camera although this is a 25$ addon on the net (including the gradations) and the Auto ECM which i believe is a big convenience. Manual switching is a pain.

Also i believe that the verna comes with an air ionizer with the climate control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTiger View Post
Figo was built to a cost.
That's where our expectations went wrong! Most of us thought that the same ideology would apply to all launches in different segments. I remember Mustang commenting earlier that the prices were decided much before. Don't know why but I had held back giving the booking cheque for 2 months for the eventuality of a 12.5l price.
Now let's do the test drive and see if we can pay a little more for happiness. I like the effortless power steering although seen at standstill, the headlamps, and the bonnet which i have not seen captured properly on any photograph till now and did the side windows appear to resemble a wide screen monitor? I like it.
Regarding the backside, we will get over it after we get programmed for selective blindness. On the contrary, this might be a blessing as to save the lamp cluster from breaking during a minor rear end with the bumper absorbing the small hits.

Can those who take test drives, confirm if the doors lock after a preset speed limit?

IMHO we must be looking at what the car has to offer rather than what not. Guys did my mindset change from yesterday or the last 24 hours? Yes, at least 25%. Balance will be the financials and the test drive.
Old 15th July 2011, 23:43   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post

Can those who take test drives, confirm if the doors lock after a preset speed limit?
Hi optimist! I have test driven the car and yes the doors do lock after a particular speed(I did not check what the speed was), or I am told you can program it to lock after a particular time interval. You can also program whether you want the ORVM's to close/open everytime you lock/unlock the car (I think this is a huge plus for times when you don't want to drain the battery unnecessarily).
carfreak77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2011, 00:08   #780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
That's where our expectations went wrong! Most of us thought that the same ideology would apply to all launches in different segments.
Well thats really true it was our mistake on taking on wrong expectation.

But if I were Ford and I belive in giving quality in whatever I offer, I would have rather launched Focus at 16L first, than burn my fingers by launching Fiesta at a cost higher than the market expectation.

If Ford was interested in upping the ante in its offering Focus should have come first.
xingamazon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks