Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 14:55   #1
BHPian

Tyre replacement for Bajaj Caliber

I changed the stock tyres (MRF Zappers) on my Caliber after 35 months and 43K on the odo. These were replaced with MRF Nylogrip Plus (2.75 x18) and TVS Jumbo (3.00 x 18) in the rear and they have lasted for 61 months and 60k.

Of late, the tyres have hardened and I intend to change them in a week or so, even though they have enough tread to last another 10-15k. I chatted with the tyre guy while he was fixing a puncture this morning and he recommended the newer MRF Zappers. He quoted a price of 1750 each with tube included in the price. This was a shocker since I remember changing both tyres and tubes for 1400. Have the prices really gone up this much? Or was he trying to dupe me?

Also what tyres do you guys recommend? From my personal experience, MRF had good grip but wore out quickly. TVS has long life but skids with hard braking. Anyone here has used Dunlops or other brands?

I am looking to buy the tyres at the best possible price since the bike is already past 103K kms and I do not intend to spend a lot.
Old 17th March 2011, 14:55   #2
BHPian

Tyre replacement for the Bajaj Caliber

I changed the stock tyres (MRF Zappers) on my Caliber after 35 months and 43K on the odo. These were replaced with MRF Nylogrip Plus (2.75 x18) and TVS Jumbo (3.00 x 18) in the rear and they have lasted for 61 months and 60k.

Of late, the tyres have hardened and I intend to change them in a week or so, even though they have enough tread to last another 10-15k. I chatted with the tyre guy while he was fixing a puncture this morning and he recommended the newer MRF Zappers. He quoted a price of 1750 each with tube included in the price. This was a shocker since I remember changing both tyres and tubes for 1400. Have the prices really gone up this much? Or was he trying to dupe me?

Also what tyres do you guys recommend? From my personal experience, MRF had good grip but wore out quickly. TVS has long life but skids with hard braking. Anyone here has used Dunlops or other brands?

I am looking to buy the tyres at the best possible price since the bike is already past 103K kms and I do not intend to spend a lot.
Old 17th March 2011, 15:39   #3
BHPian

re: Tyre replacement for the Bajaj Caliber

I would highly recommend Dunlop Monster for rear. I have been using them since the last 6 months and find them much better than the stock Zappers in terms of Grip etc.
Old 17th March 2011, 15:39   #4
BHPian

I would highly recommend Dunlop Monster for rear. I have been using them since the last 6 months and find them much better than the stock Zappers in terms of Grip etc.
Old 17th March 2011, 16:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Thanks for your input. Do you remember the price you paid? Also, what do you recommend for the front? How is Dunlop Mystery for the front?

I feel it is better to have unidirectional tyre in the front, since it has less chances of getting stuck in grooves on concrete roads.

Experts, please provide your valuable opinion.
Old 17th March 2011, 16:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Thanks for your input. Do you remember the price you paid? Also, what do you recommend for the front? How is Dunlop Mystery for the front?

I feel it is better to have unidirectional tyre in the front, since it has less chances of getting stuck in grooves on concrete roads.

Old 17th March 2011, 17:08   #7
BHPian

Go for Michelin M45 / M35. Available for both Front and Rear. Best Ride quality you can get. Will cost you in range of Rs. 1300 - 1500 (Tube not included). But they can be short lived due to the soft compund structure.

Else go through the MRF Zapper range.
Old 17th March 2011, 17:08   #8
BHPian

Go for Michelin M45 / M35. Available for both Front and Rear. Best Ride quality you can get. Will cost you in range of Rs. 1300 - 1500 (Tube not included). But they can be short lived due to the soft compund structure.

Else go through the MRF Zapper range.
Old 17th March 2011, 17:15   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post

I guess the price was around 1800 with the tubes. It's been some time so could not recollect the exact price. I am not sure about the Dunlop Mystery for the front, even I need to replace mine. Will check out the tyres and update it here.
Old 17th March 2011, 17:15   #10
BHPian

Quote:

I guess the price was around 1800 with the tubes. It's been some time so could not recollect the exact price. I am not sure about the Dunlop Mystery for the front, even I need to replace mine. Will check out the tyres and update it here.
Old 17th March 2011, 20:00   #11
BHPian

While we are at it, I am also planning to get the wheels re-chromed. Any idea where and how much can this cost?
Old 17th March 2011, 20:00   #12
BHPian

While we are at it, I am also planning to get the wheels re-chromed. Any idea where and how much can this cost?
Old 17th March 2011, 20:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Dear abdriver2000, 2 weeks back I bought Michelin M62 tire 2.75X18 for my brother's RX100. Cost me 1250 bucks only for the tire.

I've given the bike for some maintenance work including changing to new tube, rim and spokes. I'll update you about the cost of these parts once I get the bike from the mechanic.

I remember buying Dunlop Zebra tires (front) for my RX135 3 years back for 700 bucks. If you don't want to spent much, then try this brand. They are really good. I've never skid with this tire even though the Michelin M45 at the rear skids under hard braking.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 17th March 2011, 20:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Dear abdriver2000, 2 weeks back I bought Michelin M62 tire 2.75X18 for my brother's RX100. Cost me 1250 bucks only for the tire.

I've given the bike for some maintenance work including changing to new tube, rim and spokes. I'll update you about the cost of these parts once I get the bike from the mechanic.

I remember buying Dunlop Zebra tires (front) for my RX135 3 years back for 700 bucks. If you don't want to spent much, then try this brand. They are really good. I've never skid with this tire even though the Michelin M45 at the rear skids under hard braking.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 17th March 2011, 20:43   #15
BHPian

I chose MRF when I was deciding between MRF and Michelin last year. Good tires and offer decent grip in normal conditions. For your bike I would not recommend Michelin, reasons being they are too expensive and the rest of the bike really does not do justice to the performance Michelin offers(My opinion only, keeping in mind the bike you and I ride). Keep it cost effective and simple. Have a look at Ceat tires too along with MRF. TVS I guess has come out with a new range of tires. You could check them out too.

Keep us updated.

MaSh

Most Viewed