Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2015, 12:02   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: GoldStar Silencer

The old TB's had a different exhaust muffler construction.
Wide mouth and exit and multiple chambers stuffed with filter pipes, cut down a lot of sound. Add to that the old AVL engines mechanical sounds, and all one could hear was a sewing machine sound.

On the TB, there is a whole lot of changes. The mechanical noise on the UCE is different from that of the AVL, catalytic converters present in the pipe, glasswool stuffed in the muffler and a small exit pipe and it leads to more of a bassy note which changes as the engine does more running.

Adding to the above;
Thunderbirds being cruisers were meant to have silent exhausts. The Lightening 535,the grandad of the present day TB, was the most silent Enfields back when it was sold, and the quickest.
I still stop and gape at a Lightening when I see one, which is so rare.

Probably the same reason why only the TB mufflers have glasswool stuffed in them.

Last edited by tharian : 12th February 2015 at 12:20.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 22:46   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
Exactly my experience. I too prefer the silent OEM exhaust. I tried the RRP exhaust it was too loud on the highway. In the city the RRP did activate the car alarms in my neighbourhood. I switched back to OEM immediately.
Are RRP exhausts that loud? Though I've never ridden one with an RRP exhaust I've seen 350s and 500s with RRP. But I never found those exhausts loud. It might be because most with RRPs I've seen where going between 50 and 60. Does it have a removable baffle?
Old 16th February 2015, 00:31   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
Are RRP exhausts that loud?
Has the best exhaust note IMO, not overtly loud like all those megaphones or free flow short bottles. They're okish loud.

I prefer using the oem mufflers, and I've got a free flow with glass wool for when I feel bored

Last edited by B O V : 16th February 2015 at 00:32.
Old 16th February 2015, 09:06   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
Are RRP exhausts that loud? Though I've never ridden one with an RRP exhaust I've seen 350s and 500s with RRP. But I never found those exhausts loud. It might be because most with RRPs I've seen where going between 50 and 60. Does it have a removable baffle?
There are no baffles, it is a free flow. At low throttle it sounds very nice. Open up and it is loud. In addition I was worried about the combustion running lean and damaging the valves. I chickened out and reverted back to oem.
Old 16th February 2015, 09:53   #320
BHPian

Glass wooled long bottle exhaust, Wild Boar exhaust makes good "thump" in a UCE. But still they are loud. RRP exhaust IMO is the most advanced exhaust available in the market today. Short bottle free flows are annoyingly loud and lacks "thump" (I use a short bottle free flow ). It just makes a lot of noise.

Does RRP make exhaust specific to 500 and 350? They are slip on exhausts, right? Or full system?
Old 7th February 2016, 20:25   #321
BHPian

A few photographs of goldstar and other silencers and other mods from the respective owners would definitely enhance the knowledge of would be RE owners like me...... Waiting for April and classic 350 black to arrive..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks