Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 18:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power

tram, yes it's your LC restoration project. I did mention it as LR wrongly.
As your first priority being Disc Brakes 1 and 3 can be in choice. Though 1 looks clean, 3 with some chromium job will also be a better choice, having those macho big mud guards. I am more confused than you now

Last edited by BulZire : 21st February 2011 at 18:35.
Old 21st February 2011, 18:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
tram, yes it's your LC restoration project. I did mention it as LR wrongly.
As your first priority being Disc Brakes 1 and 3 can be in choice. Though 1 looks clean, 3 with some chromium job will also be a better choice, having those macho big mud guards. I am more confused than you now
He he he.. Let me add up your confusion by saying this:

1. The non disc version of 500 shown in the picture had only 10000 on the odo and looked cleaner. If I need to add a disc brake it will going to cost me around Rs.6000

2. If I take the ES, I have enough room for all the repair as the final price negotiated is only Rs.60000

3. The Clean looking disc brake bike is with my friend and what he says can never be wrong. However the bike has run over 20000kms and has over sized bore.

Let me see, what are you guys are going to say now.
Old 21st February 2011, 19:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Clean looking disc brake bike is with my friend and what he says can never be wrong. However the bike has run over 20000kms and has over sized bore.
All the reason to get this one and rip it around town while you find a replacement bore/cylinder. Add some oil in the fuel (i think its 10-40 or something) and just rip the engine as much as possible.

My suggestion for a mod would be getting the 5 plate clutch which makes a huge difference to these power bikes.

Quote:
..5 plate clutch for 4 speed gears? okies I will take a note of this suggestion.
I think the plates are called endurance. Let me check it again.

Last edited by VW2010 : 21st February 2011 at 19:35.
Old 21st February 2011, 19:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
All the reason to get this one and rip it around town while you find a replacement bore/cylinder. Add some oil in the fuel (i think its 10-40 or something) and just rip the engine as much as possible.

My suggestion for a mod would be getting the 5 plate clutch which makes a huge difference to these power bikes.
5 plate clutch for 4 speed gears? okies I will take a note of this suggestion.

Along with this mechanical mod, I will also going for retro old classic std bullet fittings (the bling brass stuffs)
Old 21st February 2011, 21:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
The vehicle getting restored in CBE is my Toyota LandCruiser not Landrover.

Before I reveal about "MY RE 500", Let me post some pictures of three bikes which I was considering to purchase. One among this will surely announced as my bike.

RE 500 CI w/disc brake
Attachment 505773

RE 500 CI
Attachment 505774

RE 500 CI ES w/disc brake
Attachment 505775
The first one is fitted with a Honda Cb 125 mirror & a puny horn, hmm !! looks odd, ask that guy to replace the mirror or remove it!!
Get the Horn replaced with a Roots one !!
Will the exhaust....look like the one in the pic posted herewith
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power-sdc10847.jpg  

Old 21st February 2011, 21:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
The first one is fitted with a Honda Cb 125 mirror & a puny horn, hmm !! looks odd, ask that guy to replace the mirror or remove it!!
Get the Horn replaced with a Roots one !!
Will the exhaust....look like the one in the pic posted herewith

WoW... Looks like the same bike in discussion Welcome to the RE 500 power thread.

Guys,

There you go, the person standing behind the RE 500 w/disc is my friend and he is the one restores my TLC FJ40 too.

Referring to my old post:

Quote:
RE Std 500 CI w/disc brake (2004), around 20000kms on the odo. It was bought by a fellow TBHPian and my close friend and spent around 20K for new modified silencer, cams, valves, tappets &piston(1.5 mm O.S---German stuff), Service and Gabriel shocks
Look at the silencer above, hmmm doesn't the same bike posted by me.
Old 21st February 2011, 22:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:
5 plate clutch for 4 speed gears? okies I will take a note of this suggestion.

Along with this mechanical mod, I will also going for retro old classic std bullet fittings (the bling brass stuffs)
5 plate clutch for 4 speed gears?
to fit a 5 plate clutch ( which comes in latest Bullets), think you need to replace the whole clutch basket, which is too expensive , but doesn't worth, for these stock 500 s.
If going for some performance modifications ..then it may worth that
Old 21st February 2011, 22:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
5 plate clutch for 4 speed gears?
to fit a 5 plate clutch ( which comes in latest Bullets), think you need to replace the whole clutch basket, which is too expensive , but doesn't worth, for these stock 500 s.
If going for some performance modifications ..then it may worth that
UCE 350 comes with 6 plates and 500 comes with 7 plates.
Old 21st February 2011, 23:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
UCE 350 comes with 6 plates and 500 comes with 7 plates.
I don't think the UCE 500s will suite to CI 500, if we try that; it will turn out to be a complete engine swap
Old 22nd February 2011, 00:39   #25

[quote=trammway;2252813]He he he.. Let me add up your confusion by saying this:

1. The non disc version of 500 shown in the picture had only 10000 on the odo and looked cleaner. If I need to add a disc brake it will going to cost me around Rs.6000

2. If I take the ES, I have enough room for all the repair as the final price negotiated is only Rs.60000

3. The Clean looking disc brake bike is with my friend and what he says can never be wrong. However the bike has run over 20000kms and has over sized bore.

Dear Friend,If you are getting an es 500 with an iron block engine, its a magnificent machine for 60k. All you need to do is fix a megaphone silencer that you can get for around 2 grand. You will not believe the thump. The later AVL or the unit construction engines do not have that sound. If you drive the bike within its limits it will last you for a very long time. Just some wee bit of maintainence and some love for the bull. I have the same and i can vouch for it.Go for a bike whose engine has not been opened.

cheers
Openroads71.
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by openroads71 View Post
Dear Friend,If you are getting an es 500 with an iron block engine, its a magnificent machine for 60k. All you need to do is fix a megaphone silencer that you can get for around 2 grand. You will not believe the thump. The later AVL or the unit construction engines do not have that sound. If you drive the bike within its limits it will last you for a very long time. Just some wee bit of maintainence and some love for the bull. I have the same and i can vouch for it.Go for a bike whose engine has not been opened.
cheers
Openroads71.

I agree with you on the iron block engine, but I'm not find it so easy to accept the ES version as not a single person whoever I spoke (owned 500 ES) were positive about their self starter and complained about frequent damage of the bearing.

Anyway as I have mentioned the ES version bull listed here had cam noise and looks like aged and looked repainted previously. If you notice the mudguards were also rusted with lots of holes and bubbles. Adding to that, I don't like chrome on a vehicle driven in sea shore like Chennai as it is prone to rust and needs frequent maintenance. The black painted body is always a plus even if you scratch, just a touch will make not so visible.

so I have decided to make my find the Royal Enfield STD 500 CI w/disc brake, the same bike posted here by PowerTwin.

The news is that I've decided to drive the bull all the way from Coimbatore to Chennai by this Friday. Gonna be fun driving the bull for such a long distance and also the first ride and that too long ride with the new acquisition.
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the bull for such a long distance and also the first ride and that too long ride with the new acquisition
Congrats but please plan the ride. Start early and try to reach before 7 pm. Avoid and if possible completely eliminate the need to drive in the night. Wear your safety gears and take it easy.

If required split the ride for two days and cover 300-400 kms a day.

Its just a personal advice.
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats but please plan the ride. Start early and try to reach before 7 pm. Avoid and if possible completely eliminate the need to drive in the night. Wear your safety gears and take it easy.

If required split the ride for two days and cover 300-400 kms a day.

Its just a personal advice.
Thanks for your message, Sure I take this advice.

I have planned to break my trip in Tiruvannamalai enroute to Chennai at around 380kms. Then proceed to Chennai through Dindivanam(185kms).

The route planned is : Coimbatore -> Salem -> Harur -> Uthangarai -> Chengam -> Tiruvannamali -> Gingee -> Dindivanan -> Chennai

The fact I'm personally not comfortable driving after 7pm in the night, hence I will not be riding a bike after 7pm.
Old 22nd February 2011, 18:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Coimbatore -> Salem -> Harur -> Uthangarai -> Chengam -> Tiruvannamali -> Gingee -> Dindivanan -> Chennai
Salem - Kirshnagiri - Chennai sounds a better faster route if you intend to do this trip in a day.

I still remember the day when we(a group of 4 guys) did a 12 hour trip from Kanya to Chennai. Hope to start riding the bull for longer trips soon
Old 22nd February 2011, 19:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Salem - Kirshnagiri - Chennai sounds a better faster route if you intend to do this trip in a day.

You are right, Krishnagiri -> Vellore -> Chennai is the best route, but I want to break the trip in Chengam/Tiruvannamalai as I have a farm in there and I will have a night stay at my native. It is auspicious for me to visit my native with all the new stuff I acquire.

Most Viewed