Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2011, 19:45   #796
BHPian

Re: Honda's 250cc Bike : CBR250R!

Most of the sports bikes don’t carry full chain cover. I had the same apprehension as yours, in the eventuality of an accident or fall will the ‘chain’ cause additional damage to the passenger? Most likely not. I had an opportunity to speak to the Honda team in Hyderabad and they mentioned that the engine is automatically killed stopping the wheels to spin further and on top of this the flaring and the handle knobs provide additional cover as they hit the ground first preventing the rare passenger getting in contact with the chain. Having said this, accidents are accidents and there is a reason why they are called that way… nothing can be ruled out.
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:27   #797
Senior - BHPian

Got my CBR yesterday, thats so cool driving it. Ride quality was very good. Seems in slow moving traffic we need to keep shifting between the gears in which karizma R was very easy, may be i will get used to it.

1.Was wondering what is the Runin period for this bike and top speed in the runin period ?

It was so pleasant that i made 51 kms on the first ride to home.

Its so true, an eye catching bike. people stop and stare.

-Mohan
Old 2nd August 2011, 12:24   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Got my CBR yesterday, thats so cool driving it. Ride quality was very good. Seems in slow moving traffic we need to keep shifting between the gears in which karizma R was very easy, may be i will get used to it.

1.Was wondering what is the Runin period for this bike and top speed in the runin period ?

-Mohan
Congrats Mohan.
Yeah, you are right, slow moving traffic, you need to constantly use the gears.

My personal opinion,
Keep the bike below 5k for atleast 500-600 kms and then gradually increase it.
Get the oil and filter changed around 500 - 600 kms.
Do not worry about the top speed as of now. Do the running in first.
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:27   #799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans
Congrats Mohan.
Yeah, you are right, slow moving traffic, you need to constantly use the gears.

My personal opinion,
Keep the bike below 5k for atleast 500-600 kms and then gradually increase it.
Get the oil and filter changed around 500 - 600 kms.
Do not worry about the top speed as of now. Do the running in first.
Thanks rk_sans.

Yeah I was trying to hold @3.5k rpm.

-Mohan
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:49   #800
BHPian

Mohan 3.5K RPM is very less. You will never be able to reach 6th gear at these rpms. It is important that you exploit as much as you can while keeping your bike under 5K rpm. You will notice some lugging if you dont maintain right rpms and this is not good for the engine. At around 5K rpm you should be doing around 75-80 Kmph. Don run them like the other 100cc or 150 cc bikes.

Enjoy your biking!
Old 2nd August 2011, 23:01   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilReddy
Mohan 3.5K RPM is very less. You will never be able to reach 6th gear at these rpms. It is important that you exploit as much as you can while keeping your bike under 5K rpm. You will notice some lugging if you dont maintain right rpms and this is not good for the engine. At around 5K rpm you should be doing around 75-80 Kmph. Don run them like the other 100cc or 150 cc bikes.

Enjoy your biking!
You said that right. With 3.5k rpm I could do only 50 ~ 60 kmph and there was lugging if I drive in 6th gear. Probably 5k would keep the bike smoother.

Was actually thinking , how do I express that noise when I was doing higher gear with lower speed. Thanks for getting my issue explained.

-Mohan
Old 3rd August 2011, 07:47   #802
Senior - BHPian

And don't be afraid to open up the throttle once in a while. For an alternative running in, check out the Motoman method.
Old 12th August 2011, 08:04   #803
BHPian

Called up the A.S.C for my first service. It seems Honda has a rule that they will not entertain free service coupons if its even a day beyond the servicing time table mentioned in the booklet.

The "Date of Purchase" on the booklet is considered as the day1 for the bike, and not the day you take delivery/do registration (in my case - a difference of 9-10 days).

Will update the rest post my service experience tomorrow.
Old 12th August 2011, 08:13   #804

Quote:

-Mohan
Congratulations Mohan.

The reason to keep on changing gears is that the CBR comes with a powerband which is above 3500 rpm. Means, you essentially need to keep it close to that in slow moving traffic to get a start. This helps the bike go close to 11k rpm (my max) (post 6k, the engine grunt is simply music), where as you can see the Karizma tapering down close to 10k rpm

Keep it below 5k rpm for atleast 600 kms. Make sure you change the oil and the oil filter then. If you cant hold on to your horses and begin ripping much before that (motoman breakin), make sure you change you oil within 200 kms

People have reported top speeds of 156 kmph (true speed 145 kmph)
sasikiran_bs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 22:42   #805

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Customer 3: Will walk past the CBR 250R and buy a Ninja because he 'knows' the difference between 2-pot and single-pot motors.
Is the 'knows' sarcastic?

Because AFAIK, the CBR ABS is a $4.5k bike selling in India for $4k while the Ninja is a $4k bike selling for $6.5k.

2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Specifications and Price - Motorcycle USA
2011 Honda CBR250R Specifications and Price - Motorcycle USA

Am I missing something?
Is the Ninja in India fuel injected or something?
Old 4th December 2011, 10:40   #806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
they will not entertain free service coupons if its even a day beyond the servicing time table mentioned in the booklet
Crap!!! That's is 200% crap!!! Who's the dealer? Anyway, this post is too late to find your bike at ASC. # days are always flexible, but not the ODO. Even with ODO, there's a slight +/- perfectly accepted; atleast, here in Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
Will update the rest post my service experience tomorrow.
Just wait for a chance to give back to the ASC & make a ruckus!!! Here're some usual mistakes at ASC...
- Radiator fins get bent due to high pressure water wash; if ASC says, this is normal, call the C250R trained mechanic & ask if this is what they were taught in the training on washing & cleaning C250R
- Check if the chain is lubed
- You'll not know for sure, but still, ask/check if they've replaced the engine oil filter. If they've changed the engine oil + engine oil filter, the oil consumption is about 1.7-1.8 lts, if not its just 1.5 lts.

And here're some more points, if you want to sit on their heads...
- Ask if they've done wheel balancing for both wheels & how much weight was added
- Ask if they've done valve clearances & ask for the report (they're supposed to give you a matrix showing the clearance level in mm's). Use this weapon only if you don't mind leaving the bike at ASC or if you've to leave the bike at ASC as this task is bound to take atleast half a day
Old 4th December 2011, 11:57   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaurya View Post

Because AFAIK, the CBR ABS is a $4.5k bike selling in India for $4k while the Ninja is a $4k bike selling for $6.5k.

Am I missing something?
Yes the US version is not FI, AFAIK. In India we get the UK version.
Old 4th December 2011, 12:00   #808
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaurya View Post

Am I missing something?
Not sarcastic, really. But an informed person will know that a two-pot motor is any day better than a single-pot motor. More grunt. More power. Better refinement. It's as simple as that.

That said, I'm not going to take anything away from the CBR. It's a great looking bike with loads of technology and at a pretty good price too. The CBR is undoubtedly more VFM than the Ninja. Power or not.

But I've got a problem. I see plenty of people comparing the prices of vehicles in India to the prices of the same vehicle sold in other markets. The Indian market is different. In fact, every market is different in some way or another. We can't compare the prices of the same vehicles from different countries. That's not right. We stay in India and what matters is how they're priced here and that's the bottom line.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th December 2011 at 12:21.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 13:01   #809

Quote:
But an informed person will know that a two-pot motor is any day better than a single-pot motor.
I agree with you on that (I have to now if I don't want to be labeled uninformed).
But like you said, it's not VFM; or more accurately, the price difference is just too large for that minor advantage.

Quote:
More grunt. More power. It's as simple as that.
What about less torque?
Low end torque is half the fun in a bike.

That little excess power is felt only at far higher revs.
Shouldn't we consider that too for an objective assessment?

In the end, it's the same sized engine, just designed to run faster - with more frictional and less inertial loss.

Quote:
I see plenty of people comparing the prices of vehicles in India to the prices of the same vehicle sold in other markets. The Indian market is different.
True but the biggest difference is that there's a ~40% excess tax on the Ninja in India because it's a CKD which the CBR saves you.
AFAIK, in an open/free market, the 2 bikes cost about the same (not counting the ABS in the CBR or injection in the Ninja).

I don't deny the Ninja's a great bike!
But just paying more for it doesn't make it better than the CBR.

In most open shootouts, the consensus has been that the CBR and Ninja are both unbeatable in their respective areas, which are city and track respectively.
Let's not deny the CBR it's due credit for being a great bike that's also selling at a great price, shall we?
Old 5th December 2011, 07:42   #810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Noticed your message late, but still; just follow the owner's manual blindly; this is a modern engine & there's no real reason to keep below certain RPM level. All this 5K, 6K etc have been copied from some other owner's manual that is no way related to C250R at all.

Certainly avoid sudden/immediate hard acceleration & never do an engine braking for the first 1000 Kms. As a thumb rule, ride upto 75-80% RPM under the redline (which will be about 7.5-8K RPM).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks