Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2011, 21:50   #736
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda's 250cc Bike : CBR250R!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Hey does white exist? There are only three red, silver and black right?
Yep - meant the Red/Silver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
From a RE to a Honda CBR? you are a rarity in these parts.
No - guess there were some other people I'd read of here in Team-BHP. I am also one of them!
Old 1st July 2011, 10:33   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Hey I don't know if this was asked earlier, But I had this question in my mind since a long time:

Does removing the ABS fuse make the bike function like a NON-ABS one?
Yes, it should. Don't know how it will affect the 'Combined' part of it though. You'll also have to put up with a flashing ABS light when you've got the fuse out. Once you put the fuse back you'll have to turn the ignition off and on to get it working again.

Quote:
Patience Wins - Wait for the color you really want.

This bike is a internationally launched bike and from my understanding there are no differences in the specs.

Can you expand more on your first few statements?

Also why would they treat you differently when the demand is more than supply. Try going to them when its the other way around.

Most RE showrooms I have seen have 1 Sales rep around most of the time. Whats the waiting time for those lovely handmade bikes?

RE Sales policy - Take it or leave it policy
International bike it may be, but go ride what's being sold in Thailand and the USA and I think you'll come away surprised. Honda's a very smart manufacturer who has given us what the general public wants.

A standing start on the CBR is a lot easier - it's got gobs of torque from 3000rpm onwards, and though the curve flattens out by the time you get to peak power, at least it doesn't reduce after that until the redline. With the Ninja, it's basically asleep until some 7000rpm, so it'll always fall behind at the start. With average riders, the CBR will stay ahead because of the torque curve. A very good rider will be able to keep the Ninja in the powerband by slipping the clutch for the launch. Which I personally feel is too high a price to pay just to get one-up over the CBR.
Old 1st July 2011, 20:56   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
No - guess there were some other people I'd read of here in Team-BHP. I am also one of them!
Okay you and the other two guys
Also can you comment on how different both the worlds are going to be for riders such as you? I am assuming you keeping the bull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isodope View Post
International bike it may be, but go ride what's being sold in Thailand and the USA and I think you'll come away surprised. Honda's a very smart manufacturer who has given us what the general public wants.
I am not able to find anything on different specs across the globe. And if different would it be significant enough to notice in performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isodope View Post
Which I personally feel is too high a price to pay just to get one-up over the CBR.
I Agree - @ about 0-20% more than the Ninja in terms of cost - there would have been scope for discussion. But in India at almost half the price the CBR will certainly give more bang for buck.

In the US the with the Hyosung 250R, Ninja 250R and the CBR250 all priced at $3999 - discussions are rampant on which is the better quarter liter.

Surprising and strangely I saw one report from a US bike mag where the CBR250 was chosen the leader of the pack.
Old 1st July 2011, 21:09   #739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey I visit the dealer to check out the bike. Apparently they say that the TD is available only for booked customers.

The bike was a beaten up example with loads of scratches and dents.

But what caught my eye was this:

(A rusted chain!)

Is this a serious problem with the Cbr? The Unicorn standing there had no such problem.
Nothing to be worried about,a 10 min exposure to water can do that.

Quote:
Hey I don't know if this was asked earlier, But I had this question in my mind since a long time:

Does removing the ABS fuse make the bike function like a NON-ABS one?
A friend got a CBR250 with ABS,and according to him,yes it will function as a Non-ABS one,but the CABS,where both the brakes work in sync,would still be functional(I am not really sure about this).
Old 1st July 2011, 23:04   #740
BHPian

Quote:
I am not able to find anything on different specs across the globe. And if different would it be significant enough to notice in performance?

I Agree - @ about 0-20% more than the Ninja in terms of cost - there would have been scope for discussion. But in India at almost half the price the CBR will certainly give more bang for buck.

In the US the with the Hyosung 250R, Ninja 250R and the CBR250 all priced at $3999 - discussions are rampant on which is the better quarter liter.

Surprising and strangely I saw one report from a US bike mag where the CBR250 was chosen the leader of the pack.
Would you expect Honda to say "Sorry, Indians, you've got terrible fuel quality and your pollution and noise norms are so tough we've got no choice but to reduce the power of the bike, so here's 2bhp less"? It's a global design, yes. But Honda is building it to a price target for maximum profit. Once you understand that they aren't here to spread the joy of motorcycling to a billion people but to make money, you'll understand why the bolts on CBRs rust and there is tappet noise on most just like the 1970s-design-based Karizma.

I fully agree that this is the perfect motorcycle for 90% of the Indian population; however, that will not stop me from pointing out that Honda have screwed us over in the quest for profit and cost-cutting.

The US mag result has to be looked at from the perspective of the buyer: a 250cc motorcycle there is a learner's/beginner's motorcycle, and in that respect the CBR is the best of the lot because it's the easiest one to ride and live with.

The essential difference in India between the Ninja and CBR is that of marketing strategy: Bajaj has chosen to make its product a premium one with exclusivity and high cost whereas Honda wants to rake in the money via large numbers, so it has no choice but to cut back on quality while it gives us more perceived value.
Old 2nd July 2011, 00:05   #741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
A friend got a CBR250 with ABS,and according to him,yes it will function as a Non-ABS one,but the CABS,where both the brakes work in sync,would still be functional(I am not really sure about this).
Isn't the middle pot of the front caliper only powered by the pump? Might be wrong though.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 2nd July 2011, 09:57   #742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay you and the other two guys
Also can you comment on how different both the worlds are going to be for riders such as you? I am assuming you keeping the bull?

I am planning to sell the bull - cause I don't have space to park it. If I can manage something, I will keep it. For me, I am just looking for a more dependable bike, especially for touring. Of late, have been having too many issues with my RE.
Old 2nd July 2011, 12:19   #743
BANNED

Since we are on rusting on this bike.

Had gone for a TR with a friend, I didnt ride. To Haiku Honda, Airport Road.

The bike had 400+ kilometers on the odo. And this on the rear view mirror bolts.

For a comparison, my CBZ 2001 model has not caught rust till today. It lived a good 5 years in Goa about 200 meters from the shoreline. Now it is in Blore.

Is this acceptable on a Honda? A RE Bullet is understandable. This might not break a deal but it creates doubts.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda's 250cc Bike : CBR250R!-27062011098.jpg  

Honda's 250cc Bike : CBR250R!-27062011096.jpg  

Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 18:10   #744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Patience Wins - Wait for the color you really want.

Patience Wins - dont take the bike. Why compromise on such a big buy? Its not like a fridge where you know that one side is going to be against the corner wall.

Why paint and mess the factory paint job?

Patience Wins so wait for your bike. You will know it when you see it. Dont give even a slightest chance to regret later.
The scratches are very minor. I saw the scratches as I inspected the bike just after unloading. As per the service advisor, scratches are very common as the bikes travel by road for 2800 kms. I think usually customers see it only after the minor buffing and polishing.

I went today and checked the bike again - it is perfect after repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Do not forget the fins on the radiator, I have quite a few of mine damaged/bent and I can't do much about them as I missed spotting them before taking the delivery in sheer excitement.
Thanks for the suggestion. I found that a few fins are bent, they have promised to straighten it.

Is there any way to protect the radiator fins from stones/ pebbles that will be thrown up from the tyre while riding? With the current positioning, I think the fins will be damaged easily.

My bike will be sent for registration on Monday. I will get the bike on Wednesday or Thursday.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 2nd July 2011 at 18:12.
Old 3rd July 2011, 07:17   #745
Senior - BHPian

I saw the bike for the first time at Lodha Honda last evening. It was a used bike but they did not offer a test ride, with the excuse it was almost closing time! But I did sit on it to check out the ergonomics. I had to sit leaning forward to hold the handle bars, and don't know if this posture can be maintained for long. I could plant both feet firmly on the ground. The frame seems to be a sturdy double cradle. I did not notice any rust anywhere. Moving it physically requires some effort. There was no kick-start lever. What does one do if the self start conks out? Can it be push started?

I feel taking sharp U turns in traffic will not be possible.
Old 3rd July 2011, 17:37   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Since we are on rusting on this bike.

The bike had 400+ kilometers on the odo. And this on the rear view mirror bolts.

Is this acceptable on a Honda? A RE Bullet is understandable. This might not break a deal but it creates doubts.
Hello Spitfire, thank you for the pics.

One thing I have noticed in these pics and even on tow other bikes (one mine and other one in my vicinity) is that only the bolt on the RHS RVM (when seated on the bike) is rusted badly. Not the other one. Infact the LHS RVM is just perfect.

Any particular reason behind this kind of rusting? (e.g. Metal used, supplier) Find it strange to say least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Mantri,
Can you post a pic of these clips/Uneven joints you are talking about. Just to ensure that i did not oversee it in my bike.
Hey Rk_sans :- I am so sorry for the delay in replying, I have been out of pocket for a few days and hence will click and post those pics only back home.

Hows your running-in coming along?
Old 3rd July 2011, 20:18   #747
Senior - BHPian

So how much would it cost to replace all the OEM bolts with something classier and better?

Best to buy some nice anodized bolts for the exterior fairings in hex type and do away with allen bolts which will be a nightmare when stuck in the middle of nowhere without a proper toolbox.
Old 3rd July 2011, 20:57   #748
Senior - BHPian

I agree with the last two posts. Strangely its the RVM bolts which is mainly rusting.

Honda if you are reading this please look into the supplier / issue with these bolts.

Till then those who pick up the CBR, please read the above post.
Old 4th July 2011, 10:44   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Spitfire, thank you for the pics.

One thing I have noticed in these pics and even on tow other bikes (one mine and other one in my vicinity) is that only the bolt on the RHS RVM (when seated on the bike) is rusted badly. Not the other one. Infact the LHS RVM is just perfect.

Any particular reason behind this kind of rusting? (e.g. Metal used, supplier) Find it strange to say least.

Hey Rk_sans :- I am so sorry for the delay in replying, I have been out of pocket for a few days and hence will click and post those pics only back home.

Bike is usually on the sidestand - does this make the right bolt upright? Then it will collect more water than the left bolt. I've noticed this on the R15 - some bolts form a particular angle when parked that is ideal for rainwater collection, and therefore have rusted quicker.
isodope is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 10:58   #750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pretty good so far. Keeping it below 5k till 400kms and now after 400kms increased till 6k.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks