Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2010, 13:04   #61
BHPian

I fail to understand the discussion and judgments being made on who is a true Biker, a "Poser", or who can be called an enthusiast or a "true biker"!

People who can afford expensive bikes or those who get gifts from their dad's can't be judged as posers by default, at least not everyone of them. If people have money to spend and want to get a bike, they usually go and get the best available in their budget.

Anyone who rides responsibly and loves riding can be a biker.
Old 29th October 2010, 15:20   #62
SMK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
I fail to understand the discussion and judgments being made on who is a true Biker, a "Poser", or who can be called an enthusiast or a "true biker"!

People who can afford expensive bikes or those who get gifts from their dad's can't be judged as posers by default, at least not everyone of them. If people have money to spend and want to get a bike, they usually go and get the best available in their budget.

Anyone who rides responsibly and loves riding can be a biker.
Well said there mate!

Copied the definition of a biker here "[FONT='Times New Roman',Times,Serif,serif]A person who leads a lifestyle that revolves around being part of the brotherhood and sisterhood of all motorcycle riders, and shares traditional attitudes about the code of the road[/FONT]"

I did ride a Luna, Enfield Explorer, Suzuki Samurai, Suzuki Shogun, Pulsar 150, Yamaha RX135, Honda Dio and now Pulsar 180. Does this make me less of a biker compared to people who ride Ninjas, Busas, R1s??
Old 29th October 2010, 16:04   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I am happy for once that the parts aren't localized or manufactured here. One thing that will suffer is quality. I'd rather pay a premium and get parts that are reliable and have passed stringent QC measures. This does not mean that Indian companies have no quality measures. Most parts will be sourced from suppliers etc. to keep costs down and that is a risk on quality
Well said!! That's the point which marks whether the game is over or not.

Last edited by Technocrat : 29th October 2010 at 23:47. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 29th October 2010, 16:45   #64
BHPian

Nice looking bike. Finally got to see the bike and even enjoy the video. Wonder how it will be in flesh and to ride. Waiting for its quick launch in India and our expert reviews on it.

Before all the engine experts can pen down the Pros and cons of the specifications of the CBR250.
In what way will it be lesser than a ninja?
Waiting for all you comments.
All the pros and cons listed out with a good comparison with a Ninja will really help anyone contemplating on getting a bike more than 150cc.
Thanks mates.
Old 29th October 2010, 20:45   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Me thinks it'll kill all the other bikes such as the R15, ZMR/ZMA, P220 and in that order. Ninja killer? Not actually, since its only a single cylinder, redlines at 10500 RPM. The ninja is a twin, revv's till 13000 rpm (revv's even further into the red zone and i have been wondering if there is a revvlimiter. Crossed the 14000 rpm mark a couple of times. ). It is a known fact that the best 250cc bike in the world is the Ninja 250R.

But yes, the ninja sales will take a hit if the pricing is close to what is being speculated right now.

The Rev-limiter should kick in around 13.5K. I know it does on my bike. Th first gear is really short and you will hit the rev-limiter before you can say "rev-limiter".
Old 29th October 2010, 21:11   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Good point. They never brought the CBR150 to India. Emissions may have been the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Honda, Are you watching this tread? Your numbers game will play off if you price this thing right.

Being a Yamaha guy for 13 years.... This part gave me more goosebumps.
IMO - R15 is such a badly positioned confused bike. I always felt that should have just boosted the price by another 20-30k and got a 'R25', which would have made more sense. Looks like Honda got the picture.

Looking at the HMSI's current portfolio, price bands, considering it would be made here I think this is possible. No real logic. Fingers crossed.
Hi,
Just sharing my thoughts. (Because I don't really agree with a lot of views being aired!)

Recently the ASEAN countries framed some common rules for motorcycles. (Something like the K-car norms, or our own small car norms). The lowest class (affordable commuter bikes) have a max displacement of 250cc. If you are going to be a serious player in the ASEAN markets (BAL, TVS, where art thou?) you cannot ignore this class. I think we are going to see "affordable flagship 250s" (my nomenclature) from all serious manufacturers.

Now comes the question of pricing and whether these will be launched in India.

In the first world, bikes are a lifestyle item, and priced accordingly. Even the small displacement bikes are small displacement to cater to regulatory norms (learners have a lot of restrictions in terms of capacity or power), but are supposed to excite these learners into going for "real" bikes. Economy is not one of the goals of these bikes. Converting $$ to Rs. for these bikes does not make sense.

The situation is very different in the ASEAN economies. The smaller bikes are not lifestyle items. Economy (total coo) is important. These bikes can be introduced in the Indian market, but for two things. Our emission norms are different, tougher. And we are not yet at ASEAN levels of affluence. Meeting our emission norms will not be difficult for any major manufacturer, but will require reengineering. And of course market size.

From a manufacturers pov, I don't think there is much difference in bringing out a 100,a 150, or a 250. The question is what makes more sense to them. In the near term Indian market, a 250 will not be introduced for marketshare, but to increase the marketshare of its smaller brothers. (remember the P180 and P150 used to look almost identical. The idea of not differentiating those was to make the 150 buyer feel better, that his bike was essentially a 180 with better FE.) It is a marketing and brand building exercise.

It is because it is a marketing exercise that I expect an energetic response from Yamaha (unless its management has gone catatonic again). It is not going to let its hard re-earned crown of being the "performance bike" be snatched from it. (Of course they tried very hard to erase all traces of it between the RX and R15 days).

Regarding the cost of producing a bike,I would like the views of any production engineer on the relative cost of ANY popular small car vis-a-vis a bike (ASEAN and First world). In my view, the CB250R will be costlier than say the Dazzler because of a) FI, b) Extra camshaft and valves, c) need for a radiator. d) ABS. If compared to a R15, should not really cost much more.

Incidentally, AFAIK, FTA rules do not apply to the Kawasakies (250, ER6) built in Thailand.

Enough rambling

Regards
Sutripta

PS. Why can't Honda manufacture in India and export to Thailand. FTA's work both ways, don't they?

Last edited by Sutripta : 29th October 2010 at 21:24.
Old 29th October 2010, 21:16   #67
BHPian

I was super excited to see the pics of the CBR250 in the Motoroids link!! The bike looks cool and will be an worthy upgrade of from the ton cc bikes.
Old 29th October 2010, 22:15   #68
BHPian

Not a Ninja killer but definitely and R15 killer.
PS: They have written: Motoroids claim price tag under 1.5L, the sentence is self-explanatory. Dont get your hopes too high
Old 29th October 2010, 23:39   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
Not a Ninja killer but definitely and R15 killer.
The CBR is neither in 250R or R15 category
PS: They have written: Motoroids claim price tag under 1.5L, the sentence is self-explanatory. Dont get your hopes too high [/quote]

Honda CBR250R launched | Autocar India

Hope this isn't.

A Motorcycle specifically designed for Asian markets and that the CBR will be manufactured in India. What does it all point to?
Old 30th October 2010, 01:39   #70
BHPian

I little more info. I bit more concrete...

Honda CBR250R - More for less!

Old 30th October 2010, 03:26   #71
BANNED

If all that I am reading comes true -> the Mini VFR will leave the Baby Ninja crying for Mommy. (Mommy as in Kawasaki)
Old 30th October 2010, 11:03   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The CBR is neither in 250R or R15 category
PS: They have written: Motoroids claim price tag under 1.5L, the sentence is self-explanatory. Dont get your hopes too high
Honda CBR250R launched | Autocar India
[/quote]

Fresh styling, and the Honda badge will be enuf for most, while learned bikers might get their two complaints with the R15 addressed by the CBR - More torque, and hopefully better headlights.

For those stretching from a P220 or a RTR, R15 will still be The One. But those who can easily afford an R15, will definately shell out 40k more for the CBR, unless Honda screws up the handling of the bike!
Old 30th October 2010, 11:35   #73
BHPian

So many speculations. When will we find answers for all these. Any idea when we can expect honda to give out the price tag for the Indian market. I am so interested in this bike. Somehow the Ninja did not give me the same feeling as the Honda, but the catch of single cylinder again (wonder what the pros and cons are).
Have been down sizing my options from a 1000+cc to 600cc, 400cc and now 250cc.
Its so difficult living India.
We struggle to earn every penny and to top it spend even more than any other country in terms of getting what we want, yet the company don't bother to give us the customer care
Clean paper and trouble free maintenance what other option do we have?
Such system of struggle - only we Indians are made to endure.
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:38   #74
BANNED

Rs 1.45 lakhs price tag has been confirmed by an auto journo on some other forum and was in thailand for the unveil. According to him the bike touched 140 kmph on the straights easily and given a sixth gear, should do 155 kmph tops.

What I am slightly dissapointed by is the frame. If Yamaha can give a high quality Indian built full blown 150cc for a lakh, a 250cc with the same specs at 1.45 lakhs shouldn't be too difficult. I am waiting for Yamaha's response to this and given an option I will plonk my money on the Yammie.
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:22   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
What I am slightly dissapointed by is the frame. If Yamaha can give a high quality Indian built full blown 150cc for a lakh, a 250cc with the same specs at 1.45 lakhs shouldn't be too difficult. I am waiting for Yamaha's response to this and given an option I will plonk my money on the Yammie.
What frame? Can you be more specific?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks