Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 01:20   #616
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda's 250cc Bike : CBR250R!

The Malad dealership has started with deliveries for over a week now. They got around 20 bikes in the first lot.
pranavt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 12:10   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
The Malad dealership has started with deliveries for over a week now. They got around 20 bikes in the first lot.
The nagging question on the back of my mind is - whether Honda is sending stocks (of 20) per location or per dealer ? As even one of my friends from Banglore confirmed that only one dealer there had started deliveries.

God knows when will my dealership start with the deliveries, impatiently waiting for the same
Old 16th May 2011, 12:52   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
Just spoke to my dealer (Venetian Honda - Kandivli-Mumbai).

To my utter disbelief, they have not even started the deliveries yet. My waiting number is 167 and my waiting period has suddenly shot up from 45 days at the time of booking to 6 months !

If you ever do plan to buy any Honda two wheeler, I think you should stick to Om Sai Honda or something. Extremely unprofessional staff at Venetian Honda showroom..
Mate, for it was the opposite. The staff at Om Sai was as always unprofessional, simple reason for not booking from any of these Honda idiots here.
Old 18th May 2011, 23:47   #619
BHPian

Advice with Running-In/ Breaking-In

Hello Folks,

I got my ride delivered on Sat, will start an ownership thread as soon as time permits.

In the meanwhile, I seriously need some advice on running and the speeds I need to restrict my self to. The sales guys nor the eng. was sure about what speeds and RPMs I should be maintaining. I have been told to ride below 60 kmph for first 1000kms and then get the 1st service done along with the oil change and then I can start ripping.

Not sure, if this is the right way to go about it. Any inputs/suggestions are appreciated.

Bike has already clocked 250kms and keeping her below 60kmph is too much of a pain.
Old 19th May 2011, 00:01   #620
Senior - BHPian

I am not very sure how the gear ratios are on this bike, and where exactly does 3000 rpm land you in the 6 gear.

But you can use the regular methodology you followed on your Classic. Start off with varying rpms and hitting 3000 rpm, and move up 100 rpm every 50 kms or so. Basically, 5th gear shouldn't be taking you beyond 60 for the first 200 kms.

Overall from what I remember reading on the Motoroids forum was to keep 'er under 4000 rpms.

PS: I might be in Pune soon, any chance you want to ride down?
Old 19th May 2011, 00:02   #621
BHPian

mantri - Congrats & looking forward to your ownership review !

Do read the owners manual, there will be a separate section on the running - in. Do follow the manufacturers recommendation as they are the ones who have designed it & will know whats best for it !

Happy & safe riding
Old 19th May 2011, 00:26   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post

Do read the owners manual, there will be a separate section on the running - in. Do follow the manufacturers recommendation as they are the ones who have designed it & will know whats best for it !

Happy & safe riding
I believe not every owner has received the manual yet.

Check this thread on Motoroids: Arnob's Cbr250R Detailed Long Term Review - Motoroids
EssYouWe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 00:58   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
I am not very sure how the gear ratios are on this bike, and where exactly does 3000 rpm land you in the 6 gear.

But you can use the regular methodology you followed on your Classic. Start off with varying rpms and hitting 3000 rpm, and move up 100 rpm every 50 kms or so. Basically, 5th gear shouldn't be taking you beyond 60 for the first 200 kms.

Overall from what I remember reading on the Motoroids forum was to keep 'er under 4000 rpms.

PS: I might be in Pune soon, any chance you want to ride down?
Hello Achint, Good to hear from you.

I am trying to keep her under 60 as much as possible. At 4000 rpm on 6th gear she hovers around 60 comfortably. I was wondering if that is on the lower side. Have couple of time reached around 65-70 kmph for a couple of seconds in 5th or 6th gear as while riding on the highway it becomes imperative to overtake a vehicle to avoid being run over. Hoping that is not causing much damage.

And yes, I look forward to riding down to Pune while you are going to be around. Let me know in advance and I will certainly ride down if around.

EDIT - I took too long too reply as got onto a call. That is the case, not many have received the manuals yet. Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post

Happy & safe riding
Thanks Nirmal,

I would love to stick with the service manual, however I have not received the books and hence stuck wondering - Which way is the right way.

Will post the pics and a small initial ownership review soon.

Last edited by mantrig : 19th May 2011 at 01:00.
Old 19th May 2011, 07:59   #624
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice with Running-In/ Breaking-In

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Hello Folks,

In the meanwhile, I seriously need some advice on running and the speeds I need to restrict my self to. The sales guys nor the eng. was sure about what speeds and RPMs I should be maintaining. I have been told to ride below 60 kmph for first 1000kms and then get the 1st service done along with the oil change and then I can start ripping.
I am not an expert in this area but saw this post by our Mod Aditya in a different forum amd hope this helps you.

"Just ensure that the bike is not ridden constantly at one rpm. Vary the rpm's. If the manual states to not exceed a particular rpm, say 4k rpm, vary the rpm's between 3k and 4k rpm constantly. Occasionally, once or twice every 50 kms wring the throttle and hit a high band on the revv counter. The trick is to keep the engine cool so stop for a 15 min break every 50 kms of highway riding and more often in the city. City riding would result in realistic break in as engine rpm will be varied constantly. Plus your brakes and tires will also break in well."
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 10:43   #625
BHPian

Here's a different view on breaking in an engine. I'm planning to follow this schedule for the new motorcycle. It's been recommended by quite a few friends who've tried it.

Quote:
Hello Folks,

I got my ride delivered on Sat, will start an ownership thread as soon as time permits.

Not sure, if this is the right way to go about it. Any inputs/suggestions are appreciated.

Bike has already clocked 250kms and keeping her below 60kmph is too much of a pain.
Old 19th May 2011, 11:57   #626
Senior - BHPian

Hehe!

To each his own! I have personally never been comfortable with the Motoman method. Have lost count of the number of times this has been discussed to death in groups, coffee shops, forums et al.
Old 19th May 2011, 14:33   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks,

Congrats Bud, do share your initial ownership report link on this page too. And some pictures as well please.

I am tired waiting for an update on my delivery, neither the company nor the showroom seem to have an answer to this yet
Old 19th May 2011, 14:45   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isodope View Post
Here's a different view on breaking in an engine. I'm planning to follow this schedule for the new motorcycle. It's been recommended by quite a few friends who've tried it.
Thanks Isodope,

The link you shared has been very helpful and have just finished reading the entire page.

Am a little skeptical on how do I switch to the Motoman way considering following factors :-

Engine Oil Change :- I have already clocked around 230kms with the Synthetic oil that came along with the bike. Now do I switch to regular oil to complete remainder of break-in?

What is the right interval for Oil Change:- I had changed the oil on my CL 350 after 500kms and the running in was done till my 2nd service at 2K kms.

If I go the Motoman way now :- Can I still switch from the way I am taking it a bit easy now? Won't it have any adverse effect? I mean do I actually start following the technique suggested while using 2nd, 3rd & 4th gears?

What speeds/rpms should I stick to :- Pre- 1000kms and Post - 1000 kms?

Is 1K kms Enough? :- Last but not the least, are just 1000kms of running-in going to be enough or do I have to keep some restrictions even post the 1st service. The reason behind asking this question is - 2nd service & Oil Change will be directly after 6K kms now.

Let me know your thoughts.

I had a call with the folks at Honda Malad and doesn't seem like the owner/service manual is coming before I clock my 1k kms. In fact, I have kept my bike under covers and decided to let her hibernate for while. The service engineers at Honda just end up telling me, "Maalum Nahi Saar, Company ne bola nahi hai Running Kaisa Karna Hai - Keep it below 60 for now."

@ S-U-V :- I agree with you. We have gone through this discussion even while discussion our bulls last year. But sometimes its just better to understand different point of views for the benefit of our very own T-BHPians.

Last edited by mantrig : 19th May 2011 at 14:47.
Old 19th May 2011, 15:53   #629
BHPian

The basic point Motoman makes is that the maximum breaking in occurs within 100km of you getting onto the motorcycle, beyond which the slivers of metal that come off the cylinder walls and piston rings are circulating and maybe embedding themselves in your engine. So yes, if I was you I'd change the oil and oil filter now, but would stick to synthetic oil because that's what Honda recommends. However, in the instance of a regular motorcycle, another site I found while looking up Motoman's method for this thread (link here) says that you should use synthetic oil with the Motoman method, so that's confusing even for me.
Oil change intervals are enormously subjective. I follow the practice of using mineral oil and changing it very frequently, since our conditions are such that I don't see any sense in sticking to the manufacturer-specified intervals. They're a MAXIMUM interval, so anytime sooner than that is okay.
The Motoman technique says that you've to do the 'under load' running for about 70-80km (preferably with a pillion for maximum load), then oil (and oil filter) change, then continue with the factory-specified breaking in if you wish to follow it. No redlining it during this period, but make runs close to the redline for the 'under load' runs. Make sure you vary engine speeds so that no ridges form on the cylinder walls. With the kind of exact machining we have these days, I think 1000km is more than enough running in.
I've done the factory-specified breaking in for the Karizma and if the people who ride my bike are to be believed, at two years and 14000km it was still running like new. I just want to try out the Motoman method because it makes sense to me - this is a personal opinion; I'm not saying you should do this. All I'm saying is that you can do this.

The regular service intervals are quite impressive for the CBR, aren't they? I think it's due to their usage of synthetic oil.

Quote:
Thanks Isodope,

The link you shared has been very helpful and have just finished reading the entire page.

Am a little skeptical on how do I switch to the Motoman way considering following factors :-

Engine Oil Change :- I have already clocked around 230kms with the Synthetic oil that came along with the bike. Now do I switch to regular oil to complete remainder of break-in?

What is the right interval for Oil Change:- I had changed the oil on my CL 350 after 500kms and the running in was done till my 2nd service at 2K kms.

If I go the Motoman way now :- Can I still switch from the way I am taking it a bit easy now? Won't it have any adverse effect? I mean do I actually start following the technique suggested while using 2nd, 3rd & 4th gears?

What speeds/rpms should I stick to :- Pre- 1000kms and Post - 1000 kms?

Is 1K kms Enough? :- Last but not the least, are just 1000kms of running-in going to be enough or do I have to keep some restrictions even post the 1st service. The reason behind asking this question is - 2nd service & Oil Change will be directly after 6K kms now.

Let me know your thoughts.

I had a call with the folks at Honda Malad and doesn't seem like the owner/service manual is coming before I clock my 1k kms. In fact, I have kept my bike under covers and decided to let her hibernate for while. The service engineers at Honda just end up telling me, "Maalum Nahi Saar, Company ne bola nahi hai Running Kaisa Karna Hai - Keep it below 60 for now."

@ S-U-V :- I agree with you. We have gone through this discussion even while discussion our bulls last year. But sometimes its just better to understand different point of views for the benefit of our very own T-BHPians.

Last edited by isodope : 19th May 2011 at 15:58.
Old 19th May 2011, 16:54   #630
BANNED

Had a quick visit to Haiku Honda to have a look at the bike.

The interesting bit for me were the brake calipers found on the C-ABS and the none ABS bike.

The Front Wheel of the C-ABS:

Honda's 250cc Bike : CBR250R!-19052011004.jpg

The Front Wheel of the non-ABS:

Honda's 250cc Bike : CBR250R!-19052011003.jpg

The Rear Wheel of the C-ABS:

Honda's 250cc Bike : CBR250R!-19052011007.jpg

The Rear Wheel of the non-ABS:

Honda's 250cc Bike : CBR250R!-19052011008.jpg

As can be seen from the pictures the C-ABS equipped bike gets a bigger caliper up front then the non-ABS bike.

Also the braking system manufacturers are different. Nissin for C-ABS and BYBRE for non-ABS.

Purely on a visual front the NISSIN one looked better build.

Most Viewed