Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2011, 11:00   #451
BHPian

Re: Honda's 250cc Bike : CBR250R!

My 2p bit: what I can gather from reviews and personal opinions (and from sitting on a stationary CBR for, oh, a minute) it feels like a Karizma, only much better. It's the way Honda said it would be - easy to ride both out on the highway and in the city.
I took a good look at the Ninja after I saw the CBR, and as far as India is concerned, they're markedly different motorcycles. There's the obvious - the price point. There's also the seating position, like you've already pointed out. Look closer and you'll see more - the plastic quality on the CBR is not very good; the saree guard is better designed on the Ninja. The CBR's guard doesn't make sense to me because there isn't a footrest on it anyway, so it isn't really practical - why make it ugly, then? Look at other small things like the feeler bolts for the footpegs. The Ninja has proper sportbike ones like the R15 does, while the CBR has grown-up Karizma lookalikes. Even the pillion footpegs are crafted so much better on the Ninja and R15. The CBR has a grabrail and a suitably big pillion seat, the Ninja has an afterthought; but the 2011 models have bungee hooks underneath. You'll get vibes and torque from the CBR, you'll get the 14000rpm rev limit and smoothness from the Ninja.

For me, in our country at least, there isn't a dilemma any more. Do you want a small sportbike or a large multi-purpose ride? The Ninja will be exclusive because of its lack of practicality (purchase and service cost, availability of spares) and that will make it desirable. The CBR will sell in droves because it's good - and more importantly, practical - but ultimately the choice is up to the customer, and I don't think the price will have much to do with it if you're an enthusiast.
Old 20th April 2011, 13:58   #452
BHPian

@ navpreet318

As you say it is an open forum and when you post a comment it is open to criticism and counter argument. It would be more mature to not get offended when people counterman your statement.

Being associated with a magazine, you will appreciate the prudence of taking with a pinch of salt the statistics that company's throw at you .

Saying that 95% of people buying a 1L bike, are hardly out of their teens, is a little absurd.

I would any-day take the word of someone who reviews hundreds of bikes for a living than go by the experience of one person with a single super-bike .

BTW it is not because i don't like a comment that i bother to reply but because i have a different opinion to yours.

It wouldn't be an open forum if the only reply to any comment was -

@isodope

you have summed up the CBR 250r perfectly . A hybrid commuter/sportbike with a few compromises to make it affordable is what i think of it as.As far as the saree gaurd goes from what i see on the road the first mod a young buyer does to a bike is to remove the saree gaurd and the fact that it is ugly will encourage you to do it sooner .

Shows that honda has researched the market well but doesnt excuse them for going about it in a half **** manner about it. Yes the plastic quality is a bit less and was mentioned in a couple of reviews but that is a cost cutting measure for sure.

I would rather buy the cheaper CBR250 now and then when i have the skill to manage a superbike i would go for a 400-600cc one which should be available in plenty in coming years.

Last edited by .anshuman : 21st April 2011 at 23:07. Reason: Please refrain from personal comments on fellow members.
Old 20th April 2011, 14:38   #453
Senior - BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Team-BHP is a collaborative community and each member is a valuable part of the Team-BHP family. Any discriminating or derogatory comment is uncalled for, and only upsets the balance. Please do not personally attack another BHPian.

Thanks!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 20th April 2011 at 16:06.
navpreet318 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th April 2011, 15:34   #454
Senior - BHPian

^^Easy guys!

Anyone in TBHP got their CBR?
Old 20th April 2011, 15:38   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
^^Easy guys!

Anyone in TBHP got their CBR?
Deliveries to start only by first week of may in chennai. That too only non-ABS bikes in the first lot . Some in pune and delhi might get it sooner .

We haven't even got the display bikes here yet.

Last edited by -NUT-case : 20th April 2011 at 15:39.
Old 20th April 2011, 17:35   #456
Senior - BHPian

Showroom Visited

Got a call from the showroom here in Agra saying they have got a few CBR's and if I was free I could visit them and see the bike.

I had originally called them in January interested in booking the bike BUT later on the whole excitement fizzled out and I dropped the idea because I am a married guy with a 2 year old son who already has 2 cars. But being only 29 and there is that bit of a biker still left in me from those college days - I thought what the hell - you only live once, let me just get one, it's not costing me an arm & a leg. It's cheap actually.

So I left the decision there.

Today when visiting the showroom I was in a dilemma - should I take the plunge or not.

The showroom here in Agra is a dirty one as tens of villagers hanging out in the main area - it's not a fancy place. I felt out of place here.

When I saw the black & red bikes parked in a corner I was surprised - no one was even bothering looking at them. They looked nice at first BUT nothing spectacular. No looker this one is OR maybe I am wrong. The pictures definitely look better.

The rear tyre and front tyre are good and fat and look great. The discs look good and so does the silencer.

The plastics are BAD !! I am surprised why Honda is compromising on the poor quality switches and plastic side bits. The side stand looks horrible - why Honda why ?

I am not impressed and I just told them I will come back.

I have the money to spend on this bike BUT not sure now. I will read more comments here.

By the way they have booked 12 bikes already in that showroom and there is 1 more in Agra. OTR price for Black STD ( NON ABS ) is 1.59 Lacs. And if I book one right now they will take 1 month to deliver it.

VERDICT - Good Price BUT BAD quality of plastics and side stand - overall finish and refinement leave a lot to be desired.

Did not bother TD it as I am not buying it to really drive it - just maybe twice a week for 30 - 40 km's - so am not bothered on what it feels like, sure should feel like a 250cc. Will TD it when I have time.

PS - The bike I have owned in my college years was a CBZ ( I loved it and it was fun to drive )

Last edited by vkochar : 20th April 2011 at 17:37.
Old 20th April 2011, 21:07   #457
BHPian

Re: Showroom Visited

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

The showroom here in Agra is a dirty one as tens of villagers hanging out in the main area - it's not a fancy place. I felt out of place here.

When I saw the black & red bikes parked in a corner I was surprised - no one was even bothering looking at them.
From what you say about the people at the showroom , they would probably not look even if a Ducati or an Aprilla was on display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

The plastics are BAD !! I am surprised why Honda is compromising on the poor quality switches and plastic side bits. The side stand looks horrible - why Honda why ?
How bad is the quality. Is it worse than the quality of a R15 or FZ 15 ? I wish they would display a bike here in chennai soon.

Last edited by -NUT-case : 20th April 2011 at 21:10.
Old 21st April 2011, 13:03   #458
Senior - BHPian

Saying 95% of people buying a 1L bike, are hardly out of their teens would mean that most of the 5% are on this forum.

Since the original statement did not make much sense... I could not make much sense of my own comment

How many on the Forum have placed an order?

Where in Bangalore can one see a display piece?
Old 21st April 2011, 15:00   #459
Senior - BHPian

Autocar test drove the bike in Mumbai & came out impressed. Overdrive have also test driven the bike... &, same opinion.

Nowhere they have mentioned the bad plastics that our mate (vkochar) is referring to, & the photos that they have uploaded do not indicate any such thing. I hope these plastic parts are as good as the ZMA's in real.

The link to the report -
ACI - Honda CBR 250R first India Ride | Autocar India
OD - http://www.overdrive.in/story-first_...r-41022-0.html

Last edited by CARDEEP : 21st April 2011 at 15:03.
Old 21st April 2011, 22:00   #460
BHPian

A nice pic of the CBR 250

'Expect around a 9-second run to 100 kph' - Sounds cool!

HONDA CBR250R REVIEWED!
Attached Thumbnails
Honda's 250cc Bike : CBR250R!-1303386991b3465.jpg  

Cayman360 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 22:21   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post

Nowhere they have mentioned the bad plastics that our mate (vkochar) is referring to, & the photos that they have uploaded do not indicate any such thing. I hope these plastic parts are as good as the ZMA's in real.
Checked out the bike at local dealer. It was Yet to be assembled (fairing and mirrors were not on the bike). From what i could make out, the plastic bits on the bike looked okay, the switchgear quality and the triple clamp quality did seem a bit lacking.

Display on the shopfloor in a day or two and deliveries in a month and half!

Last edited by sids911 : 21st April 2011 at 22:25.
Old 21st April 2011, 22:27   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Checked out the bike at local dealer. It was Yet to be assembled (fairing and mirrors were not on the bike). From what i could make out, the plastic bits on the bike looked okay, the switchgear quality and the triple clamp quality did seem a bit lacking.
Some part are localized .They will localize 100 % in coming days . We don't get all the bits and pieces from thigh land .The switches are from Honda unicorn and front caliper is from bybre or local brembo replica and not NISSIN .
Old 21st April 2011, 22:57   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Some part are localized .They will localize 100 % in coming days . We don't get all the bits and pieces from thigh land .The switches are from Honda unicorn and front caliper is from bybre or local brembo replica and not NISSIN .
Well, Nissins come on ABS versions and Bybre is a product from Brembo for motorcycles under 600 cc.

That said, Honda should have had stricter QC on parts going on their flagship motorcycle. I am really hoping that at least the cycle parts are not compromised with. My local mechanic would probably fabricate a better clamp than the one found on CBR. It just looked unfinished!
Old 22nd April 2011, 07:12   #464
BHPian

I wish Honda comes out with a nakes version of the same without the faring, I kind of like bikes where I can see the engine, and minimal flair, also a more upright stance for riding.
Old 23rd April 2011, 13:46   #465
Senior - BHPian

Let's ignore the quality of plastic parts, as I expect them to fairly good.
I live in Faridabad, Haryana & one of the dealer had not received the display & test drive bikes till yesterday.
I am planning a bigger bike over the one I (my brother) have at present & have owned in the past (HH Splendor, TVS Fiero, P150 & RETB).
At present I own a P150 & am a really satisfied owner of the Pulsar. So, naturally I considered P220 & test drive it yesterday. I found it good in terms of power & refinement over my existing bike, & I know how to maintain Indian manufacturers' bikes (except HH... sorry but I could be the biggest critic/ vigorous opponent for the HH). To cut short I liked the bike in general, but the riding position was too sporty for my liking, till I test drive the CBR250 & CL500 (other contenders... please do not suggest any more other than a Yamaha 250, which is yet to be confirmed).
I also know how to own & maintain a Royal Enfield bike.
Well my budget could easily extend to Rs.2 Lacs, so naturally the most talked about bike CBR250 comes into picture. Please advice on effectiveness of ABS on stopping distance vis-a-vis the non-ABS version, as I have heard that the ABS may prevent me from falling, but, the stopping distance increases. If possible provide weblinks as well.
Thank you in advance

Most Viewed