Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2010, 16:45   #1
BANNED

Pics, converted Bajaj for handicaped use

Hi , All here are some pics of Bajaj scooter.
I have done this for a friend of mine ( no profit no loss basis ). His name is Mr. Shailendra Kulkarni, who works at N C L Pune, he had paralisys stroke, & now he cant use his left hand or foot. so I converted controlles for him.
Now the clutch & gear are on right hand side & the acceleter is at right foot ( by side of brake )
Have a look so it can be copied / used for another person ( may be) .
Last picture of Shailendra himself
Attached Thumbnails
Pics, converted Bajaj for handicaped use-scan0011.jpg  

Pics, converted Bajaj for handicaped use-scan0012.jpg  

Pics, converted Bajaj for handicaped use-scan0013.jpg  

Old 12th July 2010, 17:23   #2
kkg
BHPian

I appreciate your work and concern for your friend but still feel that the work done may not be convenient and safe for the use.

Why did you chose the geared Bajaj scooter? You could have modified any auto geared one ( activa, access etc) for him. That would have been much easier to use and maintain. We have so many modified examples of those on the roads.

BTW how does your friend starts the scooter, i mean the bajaj scooters need the kick start and the throttle at the same time.

Last edited by kkg : 12th July 2010 at 17:25.
Old 12th July 2010, 17:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

@Sudarshan - I respect, admire & value your work; great job done. Just few questions as why did you choose a geared scooter for this purpose? Are there any specific reasons?

Next, why a small pipe being as clutch lever? You could've used a better lever from Bajaj isn't it?

How about the front brakes? Where're they located OR have they been combined (like Activa's Combi brake system)?
Old 12th July 2010, 20:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

A very nice and caring thought of you.

In addition to the volley of questions already thrown at you I will add few more. Is it safe to drive in the condition he is? I mean controls is fine but there might be occasions while driving that one needs to use other set of limbs too. Is it legal for him to drive? Is n't there a medical certificate required when you obtain a license?

In any case, great job to help out a needy friend.
Old 12th July 2010, 22:18   #5
BANNED

Hi, All, thanks specially the 3 people for responding & 100+ viewrs.
Now why this thanks , well you are auto enthusiasts & you are going to remember this ' Conversion ' for a long time, & you are going to apply your own mind on this, so next time when you will see some one like my friend Mr. Shailendra , you are going to suggest him something like this.
Now I dont really expect thanks for my work but I would like people like you to see this & advice any needy person in future.
Now answers & explanations
Background
Mr. Shailendra was a normal young guy in his early thirties ( just like you & me ) . But by some medical condition he suffered his first stroke ,from which he recovered in some time. Then followed the second stroke ,this led to permanant damage to his left side . Now his left hand cant work & he can barely walk, so the speech is also affected.
The Project.
As told earlier , when he was a normal guy , he used to drive the same Bajaj scooter ( in the photos). there was no other vehicle nor the money was available with him at that time.
So I had the guy , a Scooter to work with & a very tight budget
Requirement was simple a scooter to be driven by right side of body only.
Thats how it was started. We purchased an old sidecar from a friend on Trial bassis & money to be paid after trials were sussessfull & also in Installments.
It took me about 6/8 months to complete,as I have some other business to do for my Bread & butter, ( I am a Caterer/food industry). I used to find spare time & work on this project.
Now it has been almost 6+ years , he is sussessfully driving this vehicle on very busy roads, ( in the begining I used to ride with him )
Mr. Shailendra is a very cool guy, & has lots & lots of patience , this vehicle has become an enormus morale booster for him, afterall he is driving his Own scooter which he used to drive.
Though he uses a public bus for his daily transport, he routinely enjouys this ride.
For past 6+ years this scooter has prooved reliable
The lever you see (pipe) is the Clutch lever ,Inspired by some very early motorcycles ( Inverted levers)
This project is yet to be finished ( cosmetically) as I find it hard to find time from my other committments.
Thanks again
Yours Sudarshan
P.S. there was no other way but to use inverted clutch lever ,as there was no space to mount it regularly.( I could not alter the original handle , the aluminium casting one ,I had to retain its originality for future re use in case the project had failed )

Last edited by Sudarshan : 12th July 2010 at 22:26.
Sudarshan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2010, 12:19   #6
BHPian

Thats a great work Done Sudarshan. The fact that this cat has helped his morale is all the reward you can hope for.
Old 13th July 2010, 12:33   #7
BHPian

Wonderful work Sudarshan. I really appriciate the help you have done for your friend. This should keep him moving .

And for others this will be a motivating factor to invent /re-invent things.
Old 13th July 2010, 14:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

@Sudarshan - I'm stumbling for words; You've more patience & care to explain things much more than what you've worked upon. Yes, I can vaguely recall the inverted clutch mechanism in older vehicles around 50's or 60's. I'll google to find them as how this is suited in this project. Congrats to you & Mr.Shailendra & ride safe & ride long.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks