Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 15:44   #1
BHPian

Pulsar 135LS - Initial Ownership Report

"Dad, I need to join CAT classes". That was the dialogue which got me a bike. Strange? Read on.

I am currently in my 3rd year, and decided that I need to get buckled up and start preparing for the plethora of examinations that lie ahead. I had a slight inclination towards the CAT for unknown reasons, and hence, decided to join an institute in the vicinity. After deciding on the batch and other nitty gritties, I told my dad about this.

"All right, but how will you travel all the way?" (It was some 2 kms away)
"I'll take a bus, no problem"
"Hmm... But taking a bus everyday might be troublesome. How about I get you a bike?"
I start grinning, and off we go, bike hunting.

First up, we went inside a Honda showroom. Had a look at the Activa and the Dio. Both looked neat. I, however, had problems turning the steering handle, as I had long legs (I am 6 feet +). The price tag of 45-50k odd ex showroom didn't seem too appealing either. So the scooter category was wiped off the charts.

We then had a look at the Twister. I didn't know that such a bike even existed, because it hadn't been launched in my city yet. (The ad came out 3 days later). The showroom guy says, "This one costs 45k on road. With discs and an electric start, it'll go up to 50k odd on road". The bike looked good, funky, and we made a mental bookmark on the Twister and walked out. The showroom rep didn't seem too keen on making a sale though.

Bikes like the Apache and the Karizma were ruled out as I am quite lean. I wanted something that was reasonably light, something that I should be able to handle with relative ease. There was a Bajaj showroom right opposite to the Honda showroom, and we walked into it.

As soon as we entered, the Pulsar 135 caught my eye. I, again, never new that such a Pulsar existed. Probably because I was too caught up with my record work and failed to read newspapers regularly, leave alone checking out T-BHP.

The 135 looked good. Very good. I fell for it instantly. The weight was just right, in fact, perfect for my build. 13.8 bhp was pretty impressive for a 135cc engine. Features like frontal discs, electric starts, etc were standard. "I want this one", said I. We went ahead with the booking.

Jai Bajaj, the dealer (Adyar, Chennai), was very good. My dad had to go out of station, and hence I had to go through all the formalities, which I knew absolutely nothing of! (I haven't even bought anything worth over 800/- without my parents ). It was a new experience. The rep, Mr Ruban, was very helpful, and everything went on smoothly.

It was D-Day, and my uncle came along to help out with the delivery. I had college on that day, so my mom and my uncle finished off the final day formalities, and brought her to a temple, which was supposed to be our rendezvous point. Did a puja, and went back home.

Now getting to the report.

Looks : The bike's side and rear profiles look very good. All the lights have LED clusters, and look very nice at night. The front, however, looks weird. Bajaj could have done better in this regard. It could have probably included the old Pulsar's headlamps.

Mileage : Haven't done an extensive test on the mileage. I've done only a few hundred kilometers. I expect about 55-59 km/l though. Will do a tank full test later.

Power : This is where the bike really caught me. The power delivery is brilliant, especially in the higher rpms. I couldn't control the urge to raise the accelerator on the ECR, and she touched 104 km/hr without any hiccups. I could have probably pushed her till 115 odd, but decided against it. Bajaj has done well here with their 4 valve engine.

Headlamps & Instrument cluster : As mentioned earlier, the headlamps look brilliant at night (excluding the front headlamp of course). The light throw is brilliant at night, especially on high beam. No voltage fluctuations while idling, probably due to the 12V battery thrown in. The digital console displays all that is needed, Fuel left, Distance covered, trip meter, Speed, and the battery's charge.

The seating comfort is pretty decent. I had slight problems in my... umm... back side, when I went for a 2 hour long ride.

It's a black Pulsar. Red ones were out of stock. I'll upload pictures soon.

Let me know if I missed out on anything.

Cheers

Last edited by FanaticOnWheels : 5th April 2010 at 15:46.
Old 5th April 2010, 16:07   #2
BHPian

Looks are pretty much subjective to each person and i will say the 135LS is not as good looking as other bikes in the Pulsar lineup.

The rear mud guard design looks like an after thought by the designers.

The engine i must admit is brilliant and delivers the goods.

In my opinion the looks doesnt back the great performance the bike delivers.

Its incredible value for money with split seats, clip-on handlebars and the lot.

Just keep posting about the performance regularly and im keen to know how the engine performs after a year or so and how good the engine refinement is then.

No voltage fluctuations while idling, probably due to the 12V battery thrown in.

All bikes since the past decade or so come with 12V batteries if im correct , so i dont think thats the reason why there is no light fluctuations.

Congrats on your purchase and ride safe.
Old 5th April 2010, 16:08   #3
BHPian

Hmm, yes, I agree, looks are subjective. Though I have a problem only with the front profile. The rear and the side profiles look absolutely fine to me.

The engine is great. I'll keep posting from time to time about it's performance.

One more thing, do the clip on handlebars have any specific use? I've seen in many places the presence of clip on handlebars being mentioned as a plus point of the 135, don't see why though.

Last edited by FanaticOnWheels : 5th April 2010 at 16:10.
Old 5th April 2010, 16:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice short review, do post some pics of your bike here. Had almost decided on going in for the Bajaj XCD 135 (over the Discover 135) when this bike was launched, and am now confused. What was the on road price you paid ?
Old 5th April 2010, 16:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
Hmm, yes, I agree, looks are subjective. Though I have a problem only with the front profile. The rear and the side profiles look absolutely fine to me.

The engine is great. I'll keep posting from time to time about it's performance.

One more thing, do the clip on handlebars have any specific use? I've seen in many places the presence of clip on handlebars being mentioned as a plus point of the 135, don't see why though.

Clip-ons are were initially introduced in performance bikes but nowadays come on most 150+CC bikes and in your case the 135LS.
The riding position is sportier than the normal bars and you lean forward as a result. But its a little painful for long distance riding. No other function as far as i know apart form this.

Last edited by Grafin : 5th April 2010 at 16:28.
Old 5th April 2010, 16:45   #6
BHPian

kannan666 - I paid about 60k on road for this (inclusive of everything). I strongly suggest you take a ride of the P-135 before going for the XCD.
Old 5th April 2010, 17:21   #7
Team-BHP Support

Congrats FanaticOnWheels!

How is the power delivery at lower rpms? Heard that the 4 valve unit is a screamer and begs for higher rpms without breaking a sweat!

Why not remove the rear plastic tyre hugger (which ruins the looks somewhat! )? (Rains are not a problem in Chennai anyway!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
No voltage fluctuations while idling, probably due to the 12V battery thrown in.

All bikes since the past decade or so come with 12V batteries if im correct , so i dont think thats the reason why there is no light fluctuations.
I believe P135LS has a full DC set-up, powering the headlamps directly from the battery! That should explain why there is no fluctuation at idle.
Old 5th April 2010, 22:00   #8
BHPian

Yup, you're absolutely right Crazy Driver. The 135 has a maximum rpm of 10750 if my memory serves me right. I have personally taken her to 8.5k odd, which was when I touched 104 km/hr.
Old 5th April 2010, 22:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

@ FOW, congrats on the buy. Happy motoring. Drive safe.

The mileage you are expecting is too optimistic. Take it from another 135cc owner with lower power (I own a XCD 135, and if I am right the max out out put is 10.2 or 10.8 ps @ 5500 rpm). My mileage hovers anywhere between 52-55kmpl with sedate driving. Spirited ones give me just about 50kmpl.

And how is the gear box? Mine sucks, the gears are hard and they get stuck half way. Real pain in the city.

OT: Because of my shoddy gear box, others can't ride my bike. Hence, none bother to borrow my bike. All the good for me

Quote:

Mileage : Haven't done an extensive test on the mileage. I've done only a few hundred kilometers. I expect about 55-59 km/l though.

Cheers

Last edited by sachinj12 : 5th April 2010 at 22:23.
Old 5th April 2010, 22:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
@ FOW, congrats on the buy. Happy motoring. Drive safe.

The mileage you are expecting is too optimistic. Take it from another 135cc owner with lower power (I own a XCD 135, and if I am right the max out out put is 10.2 or 10.8 ps @ 5500 rpm). My mileage hovers anywhere between 52-55kmpl with sedate driving. Spirited ones give me just about 50kmpl.

And how is the gear box? Mine sucks, the gears are hard and they get stuck half way. Real pain in the city.

OT: Because of my shoddy gear box, others can't ride my bike. Hence, none bother to borrow my bike. All the good for me
I had a '02 P180 which only i could ride.
The gear box could give a badly maintained bullet's gear box a run for its money.
Old 5th April 2010, 22:47   #11
BHPian

Bajaj claims a mileage of 68 kmpl from the 135LS, which is practically not possible. 55 should be possible IMO, it's probably due to the 4 valve engine thrown in?

The gear box is very good. Butter smooth to be precise. I love downshifting on this bike, just love that smooth "click" which accompanies every gearshift, it's something I can't put down in words. Upshifting sometimes, I feel, does not go through completely (probably due to my not giving enough force upwards), ie, the "click" doesn't really happen, even though the gear changes without any problem. Nevertheless, I haven't had any problems of the gears getting stuck.

The engine, I reiterate, is an absolute blast. I take it out for long, aimless drives just to experience that acceleration.
Old 5th April 2010, 22:52   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Bajaj claims a mileage of 68 kmpl from the 135LS, which is practically not possible. 55 should be possible IMO, it's probably due to the 4 valve engine thrown in?

The gear box is very good. Butter smooth to be precise. I love downshifting on this bike, just love that smooth "click" which accompanies every gearshift, it's something I can't put down in words. Upshifting sometimes, I feel, does not go through completely (probably due to my not giving enough force upwards), ie, the "click" doesn't really happen, even though the gear changes without any problem. Nevertheless, I haven't had any problems of the gears getting stuck.

The engine, I reiterate, is an absolute blast. I take it out for long, aimless drives just to experience that acceleration.
I like the engine, but because it is a Bajaj product, i dont trust the gear box to remain smooth after sometime.

55kmpl in the city is possible if you ride like a sane human being and maintain your bike well.
Old 6th April 2010, 00:33   #13
Team-BHP Support

@FanaticOnWheels: I get around 45 kmpl for my P180 DTSi in chennai, without trying much for mileage. So 55+ should be easily possible IMO.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-report-3.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
I like the engine, but because it is a Bajaj product, i dont trust the gear box to remain smooth after sometime.
I have a 2006 P180 DTSi, and i havent faced major issues with the gearbox so far. Had the problem of hard shifts recently (Mostly after engines gets heated up), but things changed when i shifted engine oil from SVC crap to Motul!

However, there was/is no 'feel' to the 'box like in Unicorns and newer gen pulsars, even when the bike was new!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th April 2010 at 00:41.
Old 6th April 2010, 00:52   #14
BHPian

I don't know about the gear box present in the Unicorn, cause I haven't ridden one. It probably is better, I do not know. But so far, so good. No problems with the gear shifts and other nitty gritties.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know about the gear box present in the Unicorn, cause I haven't ridden one. It probably is better, I do not know. But so far, so good. No problems with the gear shifts and other nitty gritties.
Hi FanaticOnWheels

Congrats on your new bike.

I own a Pulsar 150 DTSi & get a mileage of ~ 60 kmpl on my North Delhi to Noida run (to my office) & back on peak office hours, that too when I drive at 60 kmph through Azadpur Market, Model Town, Delhi University, ISBT, Rajghat & Mayur Vihar (it takes me 45 mins in morning & around 1 hr in the evening when on bike to cover 33 kms). Hence, do not worry for the mileage as I predict your mileage will be better with the 4 vales & smaller engine.

Coming to gear-shift, please make sure that whenever you change gears always press the clutch lever fully at the time of changing the gears. HH/ Honda type half clutch gear changes will only harm your engine. I have experience of the HH Splendor as my first bike, that is why I can so comment. Otherwise you will have to change the gear shaft (my case), or even the clutch plates in worst case.

Keep a tab on the engine heating as well & use recommended engine oil to avoid overheating & ensure smooth running of the engine.

Hope my suggestions help.

Best wishes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks