Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2014, 12:23   #46
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Re: Help required: Electra or TBTS or Classic 350 or classic 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
But what is so special about the Lean Burn (I presume you are referring to the AVLs)?
It (the LB500) is widely considered to be the Bullet with the best performance. Some tuned 535s are faster, but few are as reliable, or can be run hard consistently for as long. The only issue (for me personally) with the LB was that once the big end grenaded, repairing it was not as simple and straightforward as that on the CI bullets. The company did not supply the component parts. You had to buy the entire assembly. So you had to source an oversized pin and cage roller bearing and have the machining done on your own. I don't know whether it was a matter of workmanship or inherent to the design, but I never got the feel of the bike again after rebuilding the big end. My close friend always wanted my LB, so I sold her to him. He too never gelled with her, and sadly eventually he sold her too. Latest I hear she is somewhere in Gujarat, with the 60KPH gang. I called her Figgy. My youngest daughter still hasn't forgiven me for selling her.

Help required: Electra or TBTS or Classic 350 or classic 500-dscn0068.jpg

Last edited by ebonho : 13th November 2014 at 12:44.
Old 13th November 2014, 13:20   #47
Senior - BHPian

The other thing that made the LB500 just that much better than the CI 500 in sprints and in the twisties was that really nice 5 speed gearbox. Yes, the shift was on the wrong side, yes it did not come with a neutral finder, but simply just as a gearbox, its ratios were so much better than those on the traditional 4 speed Albion box. Notice the way I've modified the shift lever by cutting the heel off. That simple mod made the shifts so much better and riding the bike hard in the twisties so much sportier. Lots of guys would also shift the shifter back to the correct side (a simple enough mod). For nearly 4 years I rode two Bullet interchangeably, one with a right shift, and the other with a left, with opposite patterns. It takes a few seconds, couple of kms, to make the adjustment each time. No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Doc, it is actually the Royal silver ash corresponding to the Bullet 500.

Arun thank you for the parts catlog. I owe you one bro!

But sadly, the royal silver ash for which you gave the part number is for silver powder coating of engine parts. There is no mention of any paint can for Athena Grey. :(

The actual Athena Grey shade would have a matching shade card code number. Don't even know which paint manufacturer they use - may not even be Dupont.

Last edited by ebonho : 13th November 2014 at 13:33.
Old 13th November 2014, 14:14   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

But sadly, the royal silver ash for which you gave the part number is for silver powder coating of engine parts. There is no mention of any paint can for Athena Grey. :(

The actual Athena Grey shade would have a matching shade card code number. Don't even know which paint manufacturer they use - may not even be Dupont.
Doc, I am sorry (really didn't read that thing in the remarks column). In the website of the Hitchcocks Motorcycles, aerosol can 400ml (Athena Grey)touch up paint is seen mentioned.
http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com...y-tools-paints
Help required: Electra or TBTS or Classic 350 or classic 500-hitch.jpg
Old 13th November 2014, 14:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I can understand the 'nostalgia' factor for the CI Bulls and hence the prices rising to heavens.

But what is so special about the Lean Burn (I presume you are referring to the AVLs)? It neither has the starting torque of the CI engine, nor the thump.
Nor did it come with gears on right side with neutral lever.
The only advantage I see is the CDI ignition - which can work without battery. But this was also replaced by TCI from the AVLs later in their lives (2004-05 onwards).

Disclosure: I own TB350 AVL CDI
From what I know, the LB500 was the next step in modernizing the Bullet by RE.
They needed the adhere to the norms , improve efficiency , performance and they already had the A350 which had been there since 2000. They needed a 500 since the CI500 was out by 2004 or so.
The next obvious step would be a A500. For me, it felt like a stop gap by RE by introducing the A500 before the UCE 500 and they sold just for a couple of years until the C500 was launched.
I think, there was quite a gap when RE did not have a 500 model at all after the CI.

But it was a bike that was fast for RE standards back in the day. I remember riding a A350 around ten years ago and remember how much quicker it was compared to my Electra and the A500 was that much more faster than the CI500.
The A500 always had a TCI.

I remember an auto magazine writing about the A500 when it was launched that RE wanted to build a model that a rider could push to the limits and pop a wheelie too and the LB500 was it.

It is one of the rarest RE to be seen now. I know of just one and that too in my friends circle.
Old 13th November 2014, 14:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
They needed a 500 since the CI500 was out by 2004 or so.
2006-2007.

Quote:
I think, there was quite a gap when RE did not have a 500 model at all after the CI.
I don't recall any point in time when RE did not offer a 500 post 1995.
Old 16th November 2014, 23:32   #51

Help out an amateur biker

Hello lovely people of TBHP

I've been following TBHP since a lot of years now and am grateful for all the ideas/experiences shared here. I was always into cars since college days, however, recently i was shooting with Yamaha India for a show called Mission 10000km where we traveled across the length of India on 11 Yamaha FZ FIs !

Cutting the long story short .. This experience made me realise that i would love to get into biking/touring. That is where i would need help.

Badly confused, due to the lack of biking experience, between :
1. RE TB350
2. RE TB500
3. RE Desert Storm

I read all the ownership threads here and realised that the new TB is really comfortable and is one of the improved bikes from RE.

1. I am confused about the engine power. Do i really need a 500cc ? Daily commuting and lots of inter city touring ( With a lot of film making equipment ) are to be kept in mind.

2. Comfort level ( TB vs DS )

3. Luggage compartments/carrier availability ? I know and have seen "Ladakh carriers" on standard models and the older TB. Is the same available for the new TB ? These storage racks are to be used on a daily basis to carry equipment for shoots, and are therefore to be a permanent feature.

4. Does it make sense to look for a pre owned model ? TBs and DS are available here in Chandigarh ( Pre owned ones )

Have saved up the money. Just need to make a decision.

Intend to convert this thread into a ownership thread once the decision is made.

Thanks a ton
Rishabh
Old 17th November 2014, 01:03   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

If you just ride at slow speeds in city/metro traffic the 350cc engine will be adequate for your needs.

As you mentioned touring and assuming your touring will be for long distances using higher speed highways , either of the 500cc models you listed would be a much more capable machine.
These 500cc RE's can easily cruise at 105 km/hr all day long without really exerting themselves. Their top speed is close to 133 kmph.

As for riding any of the models you listed in traffic,they all actually weighs about the same.. Actually, a more noticeable difference between them will be the handlebars and riding position. I suggest you test ride both the TB and the DS and decide which fits you best.

The 500's higher horsepower and faster acceleration is there if you need it but if you don't it will be very happy just putting along.
An advantage of the 500cc engine over the 350 is it is always running with less stress at all speeds. This will reduce the wear and tear on the engine, adding to its lifespan.

I do recommend the fuel injected models over the carburetored ones.
Yes, the local mechanic won't be able to adjust the fuel/air mixture but with the FI models there is no need to. It is programmed to adjust itself and it does a very good job of it IMO.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 01:11   #53
BHPian

Re: Help out an amateur biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnagpal89 View Post
Have saved up the money. Just need to make a decision.

Intend to convert this thread into a ownership thread once the decision is made.

Thanks a ton
Rishabh
If you are looking for a bike for touring purposes, I'm in the TB500 camp. Has more in hand than the 350, and I find it more comfy than the Desert Storm.

You can find several luggage options for it from Dirtsack, Viaterra, Cramster et al.

I'd always recommend buying it new. There's no way to guarantee how well the previous owner has run the engine and gearbox in if you buy it used.

Whichever way you go, good luck with your bike, and ride safe!
Silverflash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 11:56   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post

You can find several luggage options for it from Dirtsack, Viaterra, Cramster et al.

I'd always recommend buying it new. There's no way to guarantee how well the previous owner has run the engine and gearbox in if you buy it used.
I agree 100%. Shall buy a new one only.

The luggage - I've seen saddlebags on TB's. But are carriers available for the new TBs ?
( By carriers i mean the metal frames on which one can mount their own bags )

TIA
I think i'll buy one today
Old 17th November 2014, 12:52   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnagpal89 View Post
I agree 100%. Shall buy a new one only.

The luggage - I've seen saddlebags on TB's. But are carriers available for the new TBs ?
( By carriers i mean the metal frames on which one can mount their own bags )

TIA
I think i'll buy one today
The Ladakh carriers are pretty poorly welded. They rarely last beyond one Ladakh ride, even then with few welds giving way, being tied temporarily with GI wire or rope (sometimes duct tape, I kid you not). You can get a Ladakh carrier re-welded trussed with support struts at load bearing / fail prone areas, or you can get a similar pipe cage welded afresh by a good fabricator, custome made for the needs of your equipment.

I love seeing working bikes. My friend recently bought a Bajaj Chetak with a Cosy sidecar from Mumbai, and we've been having a ball riding around Pune in it. Now all the sidecar needs is a hole in the windscreen through which we can fit a machine gun WWII style ......
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 23:32   #56

Thank you everyone.
Got a TB 350 ( Stone Black ) delivered today.
Absolutely in love with the riding position & comfort. Did the 1st 50kms today with Chandigarh fixing up the leg guard & front visors

Would love to start a ownership thread now with lots of photographs from today and days to come !

Looks like a good decision
Old 9th December 2014, 21:09   #57
BHPian

Congrats on the great purchase rnagpal89. I am expecting my thunderbird 350 stone to be delivered sometime next week.
Old 19th December 2014, 09:47   #58
BHPian

My itch for getting a bullet seems to increase day by day. Which one would be the most comfortable ride for heavy metro traffic? I am about 5.10 and weigh around 75 kgs. My main concern is whether I can tame the bull in heavy traffic.

I am only looking at 350s and this is going to be my first bull. From what I can understand the Electra will be good for people with good height but the Classic and the TBTS offer more balance because of the low center of gravity (?) .

Bullet gurus, help
Old 19th December 2014, 10:57   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
It (the LB500) is widely considered to be the Bullet with the best performance. Some tuned 535s are faster, but few are as reliable, or can be run hard consistently for as long.

My close friend always wanted my LB, so I sold her to him. He too never gelled with her, and sadly eventually he sold her too. Latest I hear she is somewhere in Gujarat, with the 60KPH gang. I called her Figgy. My youngest daughter still hasn't forgiven me for selling her.

Attachment 1308249
That's so true I have also owned one and I sold mine last year because I wasn't able to maintain it. I had a TB 350 2005 model which is still with me and is also pretty reliable, but I am always going to miss mine. I am till date regretting my decision to sell it without thinking too much, it was a 2008 had run only 15000 and i sold it for 80k. Now I see these retailing for over a lakh everywhere.
Am not sure which new RE would prove to be an ideal replacement. It had the best stance too, I am 6feet 2 and I was so comfortable on it.
Till I zero in on another, I am still riding my TB350 around in Pune but badly miss the Torque and feeling of riding the LB500. I miss it. :(
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 12:52   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
My itch for getting a bullet seems to increase day by day. Which one would be the most comfortable ride for heavy metro traffic? I am about 5.10 and weigh around 75 kgs. My main concern is whether I can tame the bull in heavy traffic.

I am only looking at 350s and this is going to be my first bull. From what I can understand the Electra will be good for people with good height but the Classic and the TBTS offer more balance because of the low center of gravity (?) .

Bullet gurus, help
eyesice I got that itch about 5 years back and I bought my fifth RE this year. I am can imagine that itch you are having. I am about your same height and weight and have ridden almost all motorcycles from RE stable. You can check out my thread titled "Undying Hunger My Fifth RE Thunderbird 500".

Over the years of my riding in both city and different highways I have found that RE Thunderbird (I own both the Thunderbird AVL 350 2004 model as well as the Thunderbird Twinspark UCE 500 EFI) is more of a dual purpose motorcycle that is good for both even better for the highway cruising. The Standard CI's are a pleasure to ride but RE unfortunately manufactures it no more. But the new UCE are a delight to ride due to their user friendly and reliable nature(read EFI). Coming to city riding both the Thunderbirds have good riding dynamics and are surprisingly light when on the move. The new Thunderbird 500 is even better handler due to shorter wheelbase, beefier forks and an all new box swingarm. I have ridden the Thunderbird 350 (2014) model too and it is nimble in the city traffic. As I mentioned it feels heavy only when you have to maneuver it while it is standstill but once the engine fires up it becomes surprisingly light. It is a very well balanced motorcyle and gives you a lot confidence while riding sedately or speeds above 90 KMPH.

I have been using both my Thunderbirds in Mumbai city traffic without any issues. I would suggest you the new Thunderbird 350 as you are looking at 350's only. If you do a comparison the Thunderbird gives you so much more than the Classic, Standard and Electra models (not that these motorcylcles are not good but the VFM that Thunderbird gives cannot be beaten). It has Projector headlamp, LED tail lights, Digital MID Instrument Cluster, Comfortable Seating Position(subjective), rear disc brake, 20 litre fuel tank, fatter tyre at the rear, all new swing arm, and many more.

Happy Choosing.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks