Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2010, 13:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

i think the scooty is good for older people especially older women.
Old 27th January 2010, 17:10   #17
BHPian

This one is really hilarious.

On a more serious note I tend to agree that this is a seriously 'bad' idea.

Training wheels on a bike is not recommended since it beats the whole purpose of being able to balance oneself.

It is like walking , if you learnt to run first , when you fall you will fall harder. Walking and learining to balance oneself is important even as a child , so dont know how this changes when a person grows up.
Old 27th January 2010, 17:33   #18
BHPian

I have actually seen a scooty on road with these training wheels. I and my dad had a laugh at it thinking that it was an innovative idea by the male family members of the lady driving the scooty. Never realised that its an innovative idea from the company itself.

Cheers,
Old 27th January 2010, 17:40   #19
BANNED

Nice but what about potholes.

I think its more dangerous if they start taking the bike to the main roads. To learn in a closed road is fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Scooty with training wheels !-sc1.jpg  

Old 28th January 2010, 11:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

And how does this scooty make a turn with these training wheels being present ?

Rohan
Old 28th January 2010, 11:43   #21
BANNED

The same way an autorickshaw driver turns his vehicle. What would hamper turning with the trainer wheels? I used to have them on my BSA Champ when I was knee high to a grasshopper.
Old 22nd July 2010, 21:17   #22
BHPian

I need to teach my wife to ride a two wheeler. What would be the easiest route? Teach her to ride a bicycle or buy one of these peppy things with balancing wheels?
The bicycle thing looks almost impossible right now
And oh... I intend to remain the better half
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:02   #23
BHPian

I had these training wheels on my Hero cycle when I was a kid.
The only advantage that these wheels have is that they do not let you fall over to a side.

Believe me, these wheels do nothing to train you to balance a Two-wheeler.

I learnt the art of balancing only after the wheels were removed.
Old 23rd July 2010, 19:32   #24
BHPian

one need to know how to ride a cycle well before going to any two wheeler imo .braking ,balance ,road riding sense are easy to learn on cycle as speed it does not allow you to go fast .i hate those husbands who buy scooty for wives but wives have never ever ridden a cycle so their sense of balance is nil and they also dont know any traffic rules like which lane to ride , when to turn etc .
Old 14th September 2010, 09:41   #25
BHPian

We did the same with my mom. While I was able to handle an Activa the first time I laid lands on it, the same was not the case with my mom. She just could not balance one. That's when we taught her cycling. She was an avid cyclist in her days, so despite being out of practice for some 20 years, it just took her 5 minutes to start circling on the open ground. Transition to the Activa was smoother and easier then.

I'm not really sure that the small wheels are a good idea. They have their own sense of direction and making a cycle turn properly with those wheels on is very difficult. While it poses no danger at speeds < 10km/h, give a new rider something that can run fast without costing you any effort, and add something that disturbs the handling of the vehicle....

And newer drivers are far more prone to reckless overspeeding than experienced ones [learnt that the hard way ].

The tricks you learn by years of cycling just cannot be substituted by these 'jugaads'.

EDIT : Whoops, never saw that this was an old thread. Just popped up in recommendations. Apologies.

Last edited by anku94 : 14th September 2010 at 09:43.
Old 14th September 2010, 11:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
I need to teach my wife to ride a two wheeler. What would be the easiest route? Teach her to ride a bicycle or buy one of these peppy things with balancing wheels?...
I know this is a late reply, but here goes ...

The easier route would be to use with balancing wheels.
BUT, the BETTER route would be to teach her to ride a bicycle first.

When a person learns to ride a bicycle, I think one gets to understand the nuances of balancing oneself on a 2-wheeler better, than one would do in a powered 2-wheeler, and also at a lesser risk of bodily harm.
Old 14th September 2010, 11:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
The easier route would be to use with balancing wheels.
BUT, the BETTER route would be to teach her to ride a bicycle first.
Well, isn't the BETTER route far in terms of practical? How long does it take to learn a bicycle? Well say about 3-6 months? Getting injured & wounds healing up are another obstacles I see in addition to difficulty especially in today's "fast" & "no time" world. And as age progresses, it becomes even difficult. One word - easier said, than done.

How about non driving school "L" board cars? They're as nothing less in danger compared to this. Like Spitfire says, one can always learn in a closed route.

If a lady wants to learn riding at a later stage in life, why shouldn't they be allowed when necessary safety measures are taken? How could someone judge simply that the traffic rules are not known? If proper education is provided, why wouldn't they learn?
Old 14th January 2013, 23:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scooty with training wheels !

This looks to be a closed thread, yet trying my luck.

My wife doesnt know how to ride a bicycle and hence doesnt know how to ride a two wheeler too. I tried with an old scooty and she was getting comfortable riding it at low speeds on roads with no traffic. However, thats about two years agao and now we have an access and I tried teaching her this one, but she seems to have forgotten everything that she had learnt. I wanted to chek, is it possible to get this balancing wheels instaled on an access? If so, would any of you know where to get it done in Bangalore?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks