Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 15:07   #1276
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Yes 4 clutch plates in 350 AVL-LB-Machismo-TB and 5 clutch plates in 500 AVL-LB-TB-Machismo. Same goes for UCE 350 has 6 clutch plates and UCE 500 has 7 clutch plates.

Pressure plates will be same and secondly you might not get the original pressure plates so stick with your original ones if they are not worn out.

Not sure but as far as I know, later models of CI 350 and CI500 had only 4 plates. Only when LB-AVL-MAchismo was launched with 5 speed then the 500 got 5 plates.

Difference between the CI500 and LB 500 clutch plates is the No of plates 4 to 5. Secondly the CI plates were thicker and on LB 500 plates are thinner but more in No.

Once you get it done then do let me know how big your smile is You will love it.
Old 8th February 2011, 16:32   #1277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Yes 4 clutch plates in 350 AVL-LB-Machismo-TB and 5 clutch plates in 500 AVL-LB-TB-Machismo. Same goes for UCE 350 has 6 clutch plates and UCE 500 has 7 clutch plates.

Pressure plates will be same and secondly you might not get the original pressure plates so stick with your original ones if they are not worn out.

Not sure but as far as I know, later models of CI 350 and CI500 had only 4 plates. Only when LB-AVL-MAchismo was launched with 5 speed then the 500 got 5 plates.

Difference between the CI500 and LB 500 clutch plates is the No of plates 4 to 5. Secondly the CI plates were thicker and on LB 500 plates are thinner but more in No.

Once you get it done then do let me know how big your smile is You will love it.
Sure. Thanks a lot

Please guys don't mind that i am discussing my thunderbird in a CL500 thread. Its just that i feel this thread is very lively and full of knowledgeable bhpians.

Here comes my second query, a few days back i had a puncture in the front tyre. The puncture guy was facing some problem fitting the tyre back because of the disc brake (they were not stuck but the gap was reduced). So while fitting the tyre back a brake pad came out and i got pissed at the guy, that if he does not know how to fit it then just leave it i will call someone else but he tried and finally fitted the tyre back by increasing the gap between the pads with a long screw driver. After riding for 2 days that pad came out, luckily i got to know on time and picked it up but it broke into two pieces. Now my disc is making some noise as if the brake is pressed and is running slightly heavy. Do i need to change pads? Any other thing to be changed?
Old 8th February 2011, 17:30   #1278
Senior - BHPian

Change the pads ASAP. To risky to ride with just one pad.You could damage the brake piston. Get it done at RE workshop, chances are that he fitted the wrong spacer of the wheel hub meaning he interchanged the spacer from left to right causing misalignment of the wheel.
Forgot to add that pad can not come out by itself as the pads are secured by two pins. Get it checked properly.

Last edited by Randhawa : 8th February 2011 at 17:34.
Old 8th February 2011, 18:00   #1279
BHPian

awesome review
makes mortals like us who drive Unicorns feel like lilliputans
the only reason I did not go for one is the long waiting time quoted by the local dealer
but will make sure that my next one is the CL500

thump the road
Old 8th February 2011, 18:08   #1280
BHPian

tHIS one is for the GURU JI i.e. Randhawa : on the Classsic 500 you have mentioned in one of your posts that the oil filler plug on the front forks "opens by turning it clockwise" which nut or plug are you talking about........can you suggest with an image..... thanks
Old 8th February 2011, 19:40   #1281
Senior - BHPian

@San2- By the time you get your C5 and if it's in 2013 then probably you will have a choice of 500 single or 1000 twin. Very exciting times ahead with our own Indian Harley.

@Bradhey- In the picture its the part no 1(Bolt cap) although as in the picture the bolt cap has a flat top which does not seem to go inside the fork tube whereas on our C5 it goes inside the fork and levels out to the fork tube edges completely. In short when you remove the forks and what you see on the top of the fork is the bolt you need to undo. The one chrome bolt on the head lamp casing wee see when the forks are completely assembled is just a show piece and its there just to cover up the gap and protect the fork bolt from water.

Also remember that you can not fill the oil from top as compared to CI bullets where they have just a small Bolt to do the job. You need to remove the forks completely as the bolt cap is what holding up the spring inside. Advisable to loosen up the bolt cap when the forks are still attached on the head lamp casing as the bolt cap is really tight in the fork.

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-c.jpg
Old 9th February 2011, 13:36   #1282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@San2- By the time you get your C5 and if it's in 2013 then probably you will have a choice of 500 single or 1000 twin. Very exciting times ahead with our own Indian Harley.
Hey, seriously?? i mean please tell me its from an authentic source and i shall start saving right away.
Old 9th February 2011, 17:28   #1283
Senior - BHPian

You should know me by now that I don't encourage baseless rumours or participate in such things unless I am quite sure about it and vetted the info thoroughly from higher ups But if RE does the same marketing trick as C5 then may be a year more. Still long way to go so anything can happen in between.

New shades in C5 and 500 UCE in other variants to be launched probably by April 2011.

How many will be interested in Changeable Rear Wheel Sprockets Kit?

I have some spare time and thinking to utilise it in favour of all Bullet riders with O-ring chains. It will fit most of the Bullets such as;

Thunderbird
Thunderbird Twin Spark
Electra
All UCE Variants Classic 350/500-Electra-Standard

You will have an option of

42 Teeth sprocket
46 Teeth sprocket
50 Teeth sprocket

Required mods to fit the modified hub with inter-changable sprockets

1.For Classic with new plastic chain guard can accommodate up to 46 teeth may be 50 but not sure on that. For rest you will have to remove the chain guard or increase the height of the chain guard.

2.Add more length to the chain

Benefit of larger sprocket

Note- Stock rear sprocket teeth is 38 for all the bulls and front sprocket on Classic has 18 Teeth. We can not down size on rear or go a bigger sprocket on front as it is at its max limit(no space).

Generally by increasing/decreasing one teeth change in front sprocket results in 3 1/2 teeth change in rear sprocket. So do your maths.

What you will get out of a bigger rear sprocket depends a lot upon your usage. If you do most of the riding in city then its for you but if you do a lot of highway cruising the probably you will not like it or want one.

You will get better acceleration, more power but decreased top end(less speed). You might end up doing willy all over town at will.

If I get enough genuine interest in this then I will make a kit for sale otherwise I'll still make one for me and have some fun with other C5 owners in my city.

Last edited by Randhawa : 9th February 2011 at 17:32.
Old 9th February 2011, 19:51   #1284
Senior - BHPian

Update on front sprocket for UCE bullets except UCE500

A bit good news for all the UCE bullets except the UCE500 as C5 has the biggest sprocket available with no chance to upsize whereas the rest of the UCE siblings have much smaller size and some choices are there for upgrade. But vice versa if you want to downsize as well.

Here is a size list for UCE engine front sprocket.

Classic 500 UCE 18T
Classic 350 UCE 16T

Standard/Electra/TBTS 15T

There is also a 17T sprocket available officially but poor thing does not belong to any UCE engine officially. Does that make sense!. Mechanics at RE workshop tell me that they have seen 17T sprocket fitted as OEM on some TBTS and C3 but officially it does not exist as OEM part for any UCE engine.

Now with these many options for UCE, plenty of options to play around with the ratio to increase top end less pickup or reduced top speed with increased pickup.

With these many options seems like only C5 will benefit the most with bigger size rear sprocket.
Old 10th February 2011, 08:57   #1285
BHPian

Quote:
Update on front sprocket for UCE bullets except UCE500

A bit good news for all the UCE bullets except the UCE500 as C5 has the biggest sprocket available with no chance to upsize whereas the rest of the UCE siblings have much smaller size and some choices are there for upgrade. But vice versa if you want to downsize as well.

Here is a size list for UCE engine front sprocket.

Classic 500 UCE 18T
Classic 350 UCE 16T

Standard/Electra/TBTS 15T

There is also a 17T sprocket available officially but poor thing does not belong to any UCE engine officially. Does that make sense!. Mechanics at RE workshop tell me that they have seen 17T sprocket fitted as OEM on some TBTS and C3 but officially it does not exist as OEM part for any UCE engine.

Now with these many options for UCE, plenty of options to play around with the ratio to increase top end less pickup or reduced top speed with increased pickup.

With these many options seems like only C5 will benefit the most with bigger size rear sprocket.
Thanks for the update. Will think of it on my next chainset change.

My query : Today morning before starting the bike i checked the engine oil level. It was just a little higher than the minimum level (you can say about the same level, the minimum is from the end of dipstick). I got scared because its been only 1600 kms since my last service and yes i have been riding a little hard since the goldie. I have about 500 ml of engine oil at home and i will get time to go to the mechanic only on saturday. Should i top it up?
Sometimes i just press the clutch and give throttle for my friends because they like that sound and i think that is the reason of reduced engine oil level. Is it right? If not what can be the reason?

Thanks
Old 10th February 2011, 10:03   #1286
Senior - BHPian

I think that if you top it up with around 200ml of oil you would be fine.
Old 10th February 2011, 23:06   #1287
Senior - BHPian

I remember Sanjeet telling about how undependable the oil level indicator is, and he was quite right. After a bit of running, where does the level settle?

If it does seem a little less, just top it up. Not something to worry about right now. However, you can keep an eye on it to see if the oil is disappearing abnormaly fast.
Old 11th February 2011, 00:03   #1288
Senior - BHPian

On UCE the level should be in the middle of min and max level. Ricky has Thunderbird and not TBTS so he can not see the oil level through the oil level indicator but with the oil dipstick.

Hey Achint do you want some increase in top end! If you want then go for a bigger sprocket in front. You might cruise over 110 easily.
Old 11th February 2011, 08:41   #1289
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm... this is an interesting turn of events. I will call you up and discuss the details soon.

Why do the Electra, Std. come with a 15T and the Cl350 with a 16T? Has anyone noticed a difference in the top speed?
Old 11th February 2011, 08:57   #1290
BHPian

Quote:
On UCE the level should be in the middle of min and max level. Ricky has Thunderbird and not TBTS so he can not see the oil level through the oil level indicator but with the oil dipstick.

Hey Achint do you want some increase in top end! If you want then go for a bigger sprocket in front. You might cruise over 110 easily.
There is no oil level indicator in my TB and i don't remember if there is one in TBTS also. I checked it from the oil dipstick only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks