Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2011, 10:21   #1126
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
RE bikes do produce a lot of heat specially the 500 ones. As you are still doing your running in and about to cross 2k. I would suggest you to do the running in by the book, which is to start riding at 80-90kmph. During running in, it will produce more heat then usual and specially when it starts to run lean.

Things I say on here are through my personal experience and not from any info gathered from googling around so do few things on my request.

Our C5 gets quite sick during winters and apart from changing to hotter plugs, nothing has been done by RE. According to them(RE officials) is't normal for a EFI bike to emit black smoke on cold startup in the morning during winters. Thats what they have been doing since ages to cover up.

I doubt they are telling you the truth, if the magneto was producing more current then what is the purpose of relay & rectifier unit.

As you are still under warranty so they will have to listen to you. You have to write to customer service and give them a stipulated time frame in which things should be resolved. Do mention the people whom you have contacted and the outcome. Give them a opportunity to resolve and if they still don't then surely send them a notice through your lawyer explaining the facts and further action you will take legally. My experience says they do listen but only when they take you seriously or you take things seriously.

Once your warranty is over then you will be on your own.

From what I have gathered from your explanation about the issue and symptoms seems like rich mixture issue which can lead to two more issues.
1. Leaking intake valve
2. Fouled plugs

Did you had the missing issue in summers or only in winters it has started?

I doubt if there is any trouble with your EFI sensors or else it would have shown up on MIL. The other factors which can contribute to missing and things you could get it checked are

1. Fouled plugs
2. Loose or damaged HT leads/coil, also check if the current to the plugs is sufficient
3. Blocked injector
4. Weak fuel pump or clogged fuel pump filter
5. Wiring problem
6. Clogged air filter.

I remember a same case of missing on a C5 and that problem was a mystery to all. RE tried changing everything and it was there no matter what they did. Eventually it was by mistake traced back to ignition switch, which had a bit of carbon deposit on loose connection.

Apart form what I said above to check, follow even simpler steps by your self.

1.Check the hose from filter box to intake. See if it's loose at intake manifold
2.Clean the plugs and check the electrode gap
3.Remove the headlight and check the ignition switch connector.
4.In the morning don't ride your bike until you see water vapours spitting out from exhaust or just wait for 3-5min and I mean really time it.
5.Try not to ride it under 15km in one go, our C5 does not like short rides and one is bound to suffer if this habit is kept on for long.
6. If you had a leaking intake valve due to excess carbon deposit then either get the head removed and checked for leaking valve and clean the carbon or simply get her filled with speed petrol and go for a long ride (at least 200km). Do a non-stop stretch for min 60km before you even take a break and keep it in speeds 80-100. That might help cleaning up the junk inside.

C5 will make life miserable in winters if you do short rides and not warm it up before you move. Our bikes do need a longer ride to keep running healthy and specially in winters you should take extreme care.

Pinpointing a problem on a C5 isin't easy so you have to let us know when you check few things out but start with the ignition switch.
hi,
after 30kms ride this was the state of spark plugs,i got it cleaned before
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img2011010400022.jpg  

Old 5th January 2011, 12:04   #1127
Senior - BHPian

Now you are on right track my friend. That looks a lot better and if you do some more longer runs, the excess carbon deposited inside the engine will clear up a bit. Then you will see better results but stick to longer rides and ride only when engine nicely warmed up. On your next run if you can do again 30km+ ride then try to keep it between 60-80 and then check the plug.

Can you tell me the no on the plugs? How was the ride, did you felt any change in jerks/misfiring while riding? Do you use choke in the morning to start and if so for how long do you keep it on?

On a general note the problem with cold start on C5 is that the injector spits out so much fuel on first crank that the whole if it does not gets burnt and blackens the plugs straight away which takes more then 20km before it even start cleaning itself.

Last edited by Randhawa : 5th January 2011 at 12:07.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:39   #1128
BHPian

Quote:
The upgrade at present stands with
Front tyre size from 90/90/18 to 90/90/18
Rear tyre from 110/90/18 to 120/80/18

New chain guard to accommodate the bigger tyre
I got a 120 section (Michelin Sirac) on my Dec'09 Classic 500 and it clears the chain cover & everything else with adequate clearance.

BUT the chain cover does rub against the chassis, so maybe the new chain cover design solves that problem.

No mods till date and no problems to report other than rust at various places on the chassis and under the gas tank and a cracking fuel injector supply hose.

Just got rid of the oem muffler and head pipe for the small factory upturned job in preparation of the PC-V and a 535 Egli piston. Anyone here used one yet?
Old 7th January 2011, 17:20   #1129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just got rid of the oem muffler and head pipe for the small factory upturned job in preparation of the PC-V and a 535 Egli piston. Anyone here used one yet?
Whats a PC-V? and are you changing your piston to 535's? what would be the benefits?

Hey guys,
Finally managed to get my TK-2 helmet.

Its made by a chinese company making helmets for fighter pilots. This one is a stripdown version of an aviation helmet, meant for motorcycles. Goes well with the C5, and gives the feel of flying a sukhoi

It features 2 visors, a clear and another tinted. both the visors are protected under an FRP cover, and can be brought down based on the need.

a bit on the heavier side, and am not too sure about the safety aspects, but comfortable for daily commutes.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-dsc_0723.jpg  

Old 7th January 2011, 19:21   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Whats a PC-V? and are you changing your piston to 535's? what would be the benefits?
Power Commander

This is a 535 piston specifically for the 500 efi UCE (not one from the 535 motor), just google 'big bore kits' and you will come across many write-ups.
Old 7th January 2011, 19:57   #1131

I finally got my C5! After what seemed to be ages of waiting, the bike's finally here.
Am sharing some images as a return of favor for all the images posted by others here.
Thank you for all the dreams.

Cheers!
Old 7th January 2011, 21:47   #1132
BHPian

Hmm - this is the only currently active thread on CL500 - so posting my query here: Once in a while, my air filter box bursts open. What could cause this?

If it is a clogged air filter, can someone point me to a post where you describe how to clean it? I manually clean the bike everyday, but for this I don't have the knowledge :(

Sorry - I am a noob in this field, and a quick search didn't yield any results.
Old 7th January 2011, 23:41   #1133
Senior - BHPian

@Roughseas- As far I know there is no 535 big bore kit available for C5 as such except only a forged piston to increase the cc to 535 by reboring from 84mm to 87mm. No one has tried it either in USA or India so far.

@Nasri- PCV- Positive Crankcase Ventilation or pollution control valve. Basically it picks up the unburnt gases from the filter box and feeds back into the exhaust.

What would a bigger piston do? Smooth deliver of increased power/torque.

Have a look at this helmet - Cromwell Spitfire. I am in love with this helmet and I will get this sooner or later but have to save up a bit.

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-areacustomcascocromwellspitfirenegrobrillanteliquidacion_hd_262618.jpg
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-cromwellspitfirerwvisor.jpg
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-cromwellspitfirerwtable.jpg

@Subus- Probably the lock on the filter box is broken/loose or about to break.

@Rex- Hey congratulations! what a way to start a new year hey
Old 8th January 2011, 00:17   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
@Roughseas- As far I know there is no 535 big bore kit available for C5 as such except only a forged piston to increase the cc to 535 by reboring from 84mm to 87mm. No one has tried it either in USA or India so far.
Thats what I meant Randhawa, guess I am going to be a expensive guinea pig then !
Old 8th January 2011, 01:32   #1135
Senior - BHPian

Re-boring wont be expensive, only expensive bit would be the forged piston and all the taxes one would have to pay to get shipped in. Are you getting it from Hitchcocks-UK or from Italy?
Old 8th January 2011, 09:59   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
Re-boring wont be expensive, only expensive bit would be the forged piston and all the taxes one would have to pay to get shipped in. Are you getting it from Hitchcocks-UK or from Italy?
Thats what I meant again . Hitchcocks.
Old 8th January 2011, 10:59   #1137
BHPian

Some pics

I'll check back in two months with the progress with getting more juice out of the motor. Its ultimately going to need bigger valves after the 535 piston and hopefully someone would have started selling them by then. If I manage 30 at the wheel I'll be happy.
Old 8th January 2011, 11:45   #1138
Senior - BHPian

You really wont need bigger valves and to get 30 at rear, you are talking serious money and mods.
Old 8th January 2011, 11:58   #1139
BHPian

My main concern is the suspension, the rest is mostly going to be drop in or wont take much time and effort. Rear is easy enough with the hitchcock bushings and maybe different shocks for my weight. The front is going to be a tough one as I dont want to get rid of the headlight shroud but still am thinking of triples and forks off another bike.
Old 8th January 2011, 12:00   #1140
BHPian

Which motorcycle do I see next to the C5.
Something huge!!! Looks like a dual sport!!!

Last edited by bhasma : 8th January 2011 at 12:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks