Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 08:04   #481
BHPian

Due to Rain I did not ride my bike for couple of days. Since yesterday I am using it for a small ride every morning.
Today I noticed a strange noise. I felt it in my legs, seems it is coming from rear wheel.
When I put 1st gear and accelerate it makes kad-kad noise like something broke (bearing?)
I checked the chain is not loose neither it touches anywhere.
Noise vanishes as soon as I accelerate more. I felt it again when I applied rear break.
I am not sure if its rear break liner or a wheel bearing went kaput. Any idea?

RE mechanics in Pune are useless when it comes to C5, they infact never acknowledge the problem in first place. Yes I am talking about ALL RE AUTHORISED. So trying to figure out on my own.

Don't buy a C5 in Pune.
Old 5th August 2010, 09:05   #482
BHPian

@rageshbhaskar: Thanks for your suggestions on the run-in process.

I took my bike to the service center yesterday for the oil leak issue. Suspecting a damaged seal, they decided to open the drain plug and check. Upon opening there was a surprise (both for me and the mechanics). The drain plug's O-ring was missing!! Got the O-ring put in place and so far no leak.

The service center guys tell me that this was a slip-up from the factory itself. If that is true, it is scary! Hope this is just one stray incident.

I want to fit a front leg guard during my first service. Any idea about the cost for the same? Also, should I get it done at the service center or outside?
Old 5th August 2010, 14:42   #483
Senior - BHPian

@Girishab- Here is a story of RE slip-up. A lawyer who purchased a new Electra UCE came back to the dealer after just few hours of ownership. He was shocked to learn by a passer by who informed him that his new bike was spitting out oil from the exhaust.

At workshop he got shock of his life when he learned about the missing oil ring on the valve guide.

The guards will cost you around Rs400-700 from an RE dealer.

@Hemant- carefully inspect the chain guard, see if the chain has not left any sucffing marks on it and also see if the guard is aligned properly on the chain. Check if chain is not too tight or running dry.

To put you mind to ease, get the bike on centre stand and check for any play in the rim and swing arm by moving it sideways. Rotate the rear wheel and see if it makes any rumbling noise or you feel its jamming up. Check the swing arm bolts where it connects the chassis. Most likely I feel the swing arm is loose.
Old 5th August 2010, 17:37   #484
BHPian

I had my first puncture today.Got it done and on coming back home,I noticed the brake light was glowing continuously.I know some others have faced this issue as well.Whats the cause and solution?

I had been riding in the rain for a couple of hours.
So what brought about the problem,the rain or the rear tyre puncture repair?
Old 5th August 2010, 19:01   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@Hemant- carefully inspect the chain guard, see if the chain has not left any sucffing marks on it and also see if the guard is aligned properly on the chain. Check if chain is not too tight or running dry.

To put you mind to ease, get the bike on centre stand and check for any play in the rim and swing arm by moving it sideways. Rotate the rear wheel and see if it makes any rumbling noise or you feel its jamming up. Check the swing arm bolts where it connects the chassis. Most likely I feel the swing arm is loose.
Thanks Randhawa. I really appreciate the way you are helping to other C5 owners.
I will check and let ya all know. Do you suggest any lube if the chain is running dry?

Honestly my bike has never troubled me (touch wood) but after reading the stories of other owners I am just keeping my fingers crossed. I do actually regret on my decision. I should have gone for M500. Not that this bike ain't good, I am really pissed on RE, they make us beg for answers. Feel like nowhere. I will wait for another year or will just go for my dream bike MT-01.
Old 5th August 2010, 22:02   #486
Senior - BHPian

@Bhasma- Unless your rear hub was removed for taking out the tyre which is highly unlikely then it can not be the case. Rain, yes could be but again ideally it should not cause the issues.

Only thing which could cause the brake light on all the time could be either a earthing problem/short circuit or brake switch gone bad(there are two, front/rear).

Or the springs on the rear switch too tight.

To find out the culprit, have a look at the rear brake light switch and disconnect the wire connection from the connecter. Turn the key to ignition and if the brake light is still on then you need to inspect further and nothing wrong with the rear brake light switch.

Second part is to check the front brake switch. If by removing the rear brake switch connector , light stay on then you need to check the front switch. For that remove the front headlight dome by unscrewing the top screw on the headlight. Trace the wire of the front brake switch to the connector inside the dome and disconnect it. Now again check if the brake light is on, if its off then you know the brake switch is faulty.

Its also possible that the front pin of the front brake switch is stuck, have a look if its not jammed in.

Apart from all of the above there is nothing to it.

@Hemant-I would suggest Motul chain lube which is a lot cheaper to Wurth and more in quantity. Don't spray it on if the chain is all muddy. Clean it first and then spray it on.

My personal opinion on UCE is that if you don't ride it to soft or too hard then it will last for a long time apart from few issues here and there. I agree with you that RE does not implement things fast enough or show reluctance to admit when things do go wrong. The whole RE needs a update on different grounds and a big shuffle between the management. The one main problem I felt in RE top brass is the bigger guy does not listen to his junior and the junior is afraid to speak up or just quiet because his senior does not want him to give his opinion or tell his senior boss about his boss. They are not bothered and play the blame game. Hence we are at the receiving end.

As Mr Lal is on his way to Manali with his friends on C5's , I wish I could catch him en-route and have a chat with him.
Old 5th August 2010, 22:19   #487

This is one the best (and most detailed) reviews of the Classic 500 that I have come across. You seem to be as obsessed with the bike as I am. I have been mulling over upgrading my 2002 Bullet Electra to the CL500. I understand the blackened plug is a common irritant across all kinds of owners of this new Bullet avatar. I really want a powerful and yet hassle-free RE bike, with OUT compromising on the sound and the feel. Your review will go a long way to help me make up my mind. Thanks.
Old 5th August 2010, 23:42   #488
Senior - BHPian

Would expect it to be higher when you raise throttle. Too little as of now, mine goes halfway to + with generous throttle after an ES.
Old 5th August 2010, 23:59   #489
Senior - BHPian

@Sudev-I am more likely to be possessed by my bike C5 is not for you if you cant compromise on sound and adjust to the new feel of single seat with independent suspension. It will be wiser for you to wait and watch, how we cope up with the issues and what RE does for us.

Achint, R&R provides voltage to 13.6 max at 3000RPM if the battery is healthy. Saving it from overcharging. I think I will try draining the battery a bit and go for a run. Till now I tested it only at idle.
Old 6th August 2010, 07:19   #490
Senior - BHPian

That should help, I guess.

Why do you want the ammeter? Kya karoge uska?
Old 6th August 2010, 11:35   #491
Senior - BHPian

Arre bhai, planning a long trip and dont want to get run over by 4wheelers so need some extra lights. So ammeter will help me to determine if the electrical department is strong enough to cope with two 55w aux lights on a longer journey.
Old 6th August 2010, 23:11   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post

Hey Randhwa, Thanks for the help man. I inspected rear wheel and swing arm, couldn't figure any problem. Chain was too dusty and dry so took it to RE mechanic, he cleaned it with a cloth and applied chain lub. The noise seems to be gone and the bike feels smooth.

I am planning to clean chain myself, what should I use? A chain cleasner? Kerosene? or Diesel? I have seem people recommending kerosene and Diesel on lots of forums.

Thanks for help again. I think even a small noise makes me Panin, thanks to RE they are good at that.
Old 7th August 2010, 01:47   #493
BHPian

hello auto gurus, i am currently on a mind spree and cant stop thinking about the classic 500,but i am worried about the part where you have to do a lot to maintain your RE as i had an RE STD 350 3 years back and it demanded more time and maintenance then i expected,now i am all ready to buy classic 500 ..but will it make me beg for my time.
thanks
Old 7th August 2010, 09:55   #494
Senior - BHPian

Hi Japneet

The new breed of REs, the ones running the UCE engines, is quite reliable when compared with the old CIs.
But on the same page, I would advise you not to expect levels comparable to the Jap bikes.
But yes, on the whole things have gotten a lot more easier. The C5s, especially Randhawa's, have had a lot of teething problems. But then, most of them are running on the road quite alright.
My own CL350 has been a breeze to maintain. Does not demand too much time at all! I invariably end up spending more time with it than I need to.

So don't worry too much, go pick one up. Cheers!
Old 7th August 2010, 10:41   #495
Senior - BHPian

@Hemant- So you were running with a dry chain hence getting a tight spot on your chain. Prolonged use of a dry chain would have resulted in the sprocket going skinny on you.

If you are unable to take the chain off yourself then use the chain cleaner by Motul. If you can take the chain off or get it done by a mechanic then I will recommend Kerosene/ Diesel(Doesn't make any difference). I took the chain off and cleaned it with kerosene and took me around 20min, 1Liter of fuel to do the job to my satisfaction. I warn you, its a really messy job

@Japneet- As answered by Achint but if you abuse the UCE then it might want too much of your attention or rather I should say few weeks to get the parts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks