Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2015, 20:22   #3811
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

RE is going to launch this beast in india finally. They will change the name from "Battle Green" to "Forest Ranger" for production version bike. i think one of the main reason to launch this color is how fast the limited edition camouflage bikes sold on their website. The indian army has Olive Green shades for their vehicles and they have slightly different shade compare to this forest ranger. So there is no question of permission. By the way enjoy the pics. these are from Manmohan Autostores, Chandigarh.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-12248237_535405309970874_2208357529887051573_o.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-12273814_535405143304224_2817311610604177317_o.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-12291018_535405276637544_7933513134558948921_o.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-12291034_535405189970886_300439262400763834_o.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-12304278_535405216637550_3301827137776717435_o.jpg  

Nilay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 15:25   #3812
BHPian

^^^ Probably I should have waited and got this one. Love the color. Also they should have given an option to make the engines and other chrome components also powder coated in matte...
Old 31st December 2015, 18:12   #3813
BHPian

Guys, need a bit of help.

A few days back I checked the engine oil and it was a bit below normal and today to my horror, the engine oil window is showing nothing at all. I've been monitoring if the oil was leaking from somewhere, but no there's no oil leak.

Can somebody help me troubleshoot this? It's been 2k since the bike was serviced and I ride it daily for about 30 kms.

Thanks!
Old 31st December 2015, 18:17   #3814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Guys, need a bit of help.

A few days back I checked the engine oil and it was a bit below normal and today to my horror, the engine oil window is showing nothing at all. I've been monitoring if the oil was leaking from somewhere, but no there's no oil leak.

Can somebody help me troubleshoot this? It's been 2k since the bike was serviced and I ride it daily for about 30 kms.

Thanks!
Did you check the oil level when the bike was cold? or warmed up?
Considering, you are sure that there are no leaks you should check the oil level again after warming up the bike for a minute or so. Still if you don't see any oil visit the RE dealer. Happens with my Bullet 500 all the time. Warm her up and I see oil in the window That's the standard procedure too apparently.
Siddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 20:18   #3815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
Did you check the oil level when the bike was cold? or warmed up.
I check the oil level only after warming up the bike. The oil level didn't rise up even after warming up the bike for 5 mins.

I'm going to top up the oil and see if this happens again.
Old 1st January 2016, 04:34   #3816
Distinguished - BHPian

cataclysm:
As you know, if the engine is not leaking or burning the oil, it must be in the engine somewhere.

If the motorcycle was resting on the side stand, it will never show an accurate oil level.

The proper way to check the engine oil is to first find a very level area to park the motorcycle on. This is very important because just a slightly off level surface can have a marked influence on the oil level that shows in the sight guage.

With the motorcycle resting on the centerstand, start the engine. Let it run for at least 30 seconds and then turn it off.

Give it 30 or more seconds for the oil to drain down from the upper cylinder and then look at the sight guage.

Although the manual says the oil level should be at the half way mark, if the actual level appearing in the sight glass is above the bottom of the sight window and below the top, everything is fine.

If, after doing the above process the oil level is below the bottom of the sight window, remove the oil filler plug on the top of the engine case, just above the sight window. (Do not damage the wires that run just behind the plug.)

Add a small quantity of oil, giving it at least 10 seconds to level itself out and then recheck the level in the sight window.
Continue to do this until the level is at the middle of the window.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 09:08   #3817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
cataclysm:
As you know, if the engine is not leaking or burning the oil, it must be in the engine somewhere...
That's exactly how I check the oil level. On level ground, centre stand. But now the oil window is not showing anything.

Is it possible that the engine burnt the oil? Are there any tell-tale signs for this?

I went for a 300 km ride a few days back. During the 1st half of the ride I noticed that the oil level was slightly below normal. When I started the bike, the exhaust was blowing black smoke but that lasted about 3 secs. I didn't think much of it.

After the returning I checked the oil level yesterday and it's absolutely empty!
Old 1st January 2016, 23:59   #3818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilay View Post
RE is going to launch this beast in india finally. They will change the name from "Battle Green" to "Forest Ranger" for production version bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
^^^ Probably I should have waited and got this one. Love the color. Also they should have given an option to make the engines and other chrome components also powder coated in matte...
Has this colour now been confirmed? Haven't seen any official announcement, as yet. Neither has there been any news of this colour anywhere else.
Is this one of those local paint jobs?
Old 2nd January 2016, 06:44   #3819
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
That's exactly how I check the oil level. On level ground, centre stand. But now the oil window is not showing anything.

Is it possible that the engine burnt the oil? Are there any tell-tale signs for this?

I went for a 300 km ride a few days back. During the 1st half of the ride I noticed that the oil level was slightly below normal. When I started the bike, the exhaust was blowing black smoke but that lasted about 3 secs. I didn't think much of it.

After the returning I checked the oil level yesterday and it's absolutely empty!
As you know, black smoke is usually associated with a rich air/fuel condition and a little of it following a cold start isn't unusual.
Oil smoke is usually a blue/gray color that smells like burning oil.

It is possible the engine is burning oil and a 300 km ride at high speeds could result in some oil burning off.

If you have some of the same kind of oil the motorcycle was filled wit on the last change, add a little bit to bring up the level in the sight glass.

It may only take a 10th of a liter so so to bring it up.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 09:32   #3820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Has this colour now been confirmed? Haven't seen any official announcement, as yet. Neither has there been any news of this colour anywhere else.
Is this one of those local paint jobs?
It is a color sold by RE itself. You will need to check with the showroom for availability. Apparently, this color is registered on another name with the RTO since the color is reserved for defense vehicles only.

Also, there are few new colors being released this month for the Std 500 and Classic range.
Old 3rd January 2016, 20:19   #3821
BHPian

I just saw some facebook posts about some really interesting colours being launched for the entire lineup.

The Bullet 500 will get a "Marsh grey"
The classic 500 chrome will get "Anthracite" and "Forest green" (of the bullet 500)
The classic 350 is getting a nice "burgandy/chestnut" and a "mint green"
The thunderbird is rumoured to be getting an "Asphalt" which is a shade of blue
The electra will get a new "royal blue".

can anyone confirm this news? it hasn't come up on any of the auto websites yet, but these colours sure do look fresh and amazing!
Old 4th January 2016, 18:28   #3822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee_bat View Post
I just saw some facebook posts about some really interesting colours being launched for the entire lineup.
Nevermind, guess some other fan confirmed it as well, article now on Team Bhp and IAB

links- http://indianautosblog.com/2016/01/r...-update-209850

http://www.team-bhp.com/news/scoop-r...colour-options
Old 9th January 2016, 15:49   #3823

Hi, guys
A huge fan of this thread even before my membership existed.
I own a DS500 with 44786 KMS.
Few questions in my mind for the EFI to CARB conversion :
1. I want to change from efi to carb and confused as usual as will there will be any power loss.
2. This conversion will be planned on a 22ltr tank and want to keep my oem tank intact.
3. Is it possible on this modified version of tank to fix a carb ??
4. Any other suggestions ??

Regards,
Old 9th January 2016, 16:04   #3824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightrr View Post
Hi, guys

A huge fan of this thread even before my membership existed.

I own a DS500 with 44786 KMS.

Few questions in my mind for the EFI to CARB conversion :

1. I want to change from efi to carb and confused as usual as will there will be any power loss.

2. This conversion will be planned on a 22ltr tank and want to keep my oem tank intact.

3. Is it possible on this modified version of tank to fix a carb ??

4. Any other suggestions ??

Regards,

Hi there, there will probably be a power loss since my mechanic has done this conversion on a few bullets till date. But he swears by the reliability of the conversion. The efi gets a lot of exposure to dust on Indian roads and can get choked. Enfield does not have cleaning equipment and getting the efi cleaned was another cumbersome task when I got it done a year after purchase.

The 22ltr tanks available in Delhi come in two versions, one for efi and one for carb as per my knowledge. I got the info from Karol Bagh Delhi at Chawla's.
zee_bat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 16:25   #3825
BHPian

I recently switched from RE's Liquid Gun Engine oil to fully synthetic (Motul 300V 15w50). The Service Head at the RE's A.S.S. in Bhandup suggested to not go with it as many owners who use Motul 300V have had issues with their crank. Is this possible? Although I have noticed improved performance and lesser vibrations, can it be really damaging the engine in anyway?

I don't really think that a lubricating agent would harm the engine.

Also, I changed the oil after a mileage of 25,000 km.

On another note, I would suggest all members who are in Mumbai & get their bikes serviced at Soniya Motors in Bhandup to ensure that the mechanic doesn't switch on the engine to drain the oil. He switched on the kill switch to start the bike which resulted in him being on the receiving end of few choice words.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks