Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2014, 01:09   #3481
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by compenn View Post
I got delivery of my Desert Storm on 2nd Jan 14 and since 2 weeks its giving me self start trouble. Visited the service center and asked for battery replacement, however it seems they just charged the battery and made me pay INR 150 for it.

Is this a usual problem with RE 500 ?
NO, This is not a usual problem for a 2 week old RE and NO, they should'nt have charged you for a a battery charge.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 01:34   #3482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got delivery of my Desert Storm on 2nd Jan 14 and since 2 weeks its giving me self start trouble. Visited the service center and asked for battery replacement, however it seems they just charged the battery and made me pay INR 150 for it.

I had a similar problem with my Amun-Ra.
He used to start only with choke OR if the motorcycle has been running for long, then the first time it would start with the ES, but then again I would be required to apply the choke.

This was resolved at the dealership after working for more than a couple of hours. The problem what I was told was with the amount of fuel required to start with the ES. As per them, it was not coming properly and therefore they needed to change some settings. Moral of the story being, the issue has been resolved now (though occasionally I have to use the choke as well, but very less as compared to earlier). As per them, there was no issue with the starter or the battery.
Old 11th February 2014, 02:41   #3483
Senior - BHPian

compenn:
Having the battery become run down in less than a 1 month period of time is not normal but it depends partially on how you ride the motorcycle.

The charging system on the DS is not the strongest in the world so, if you are making very short trips at very low speeds and you are needing to use the start motor for long periods of time to get the engine started, that could explain the problem.

At an idle speed, and just slightly faster the charging system is producing just enough power to maintain the battery charge without adding any power back into the battery.

If you are just putting along, this could result in the low battery charge.

If you are shifting gears at slightly higher speeds and riding along in 4th gear instead of 5th gear the battery should recharge and give you no problems.

Battery's, like everything else are not always of the best quality. It is possible that your battery is defective so, if you are normally riding longer distances at higher speeds and letting the engine purr along at a fair clip and the battery fails to take or hold a charge I suggest that you ask your dealer to replace it.
It should be covered under warranty.
Old 11th February 2014, 10:18   #3484
BHPian

Quote:

Well it happened to my DS as well within the month or 2.
As ArizonaJim explained, I got my battery tested for its stable output and the Service guys narrowed down the problem to a faulty battery. It was duly replaced after about 2 weeks (to be sent by the factory).
Old 16th February 2014, 13:30   #3485
BHPian

Quote:

we should not be paying such false charges. please ask them the rationale behind charging money for vehicles/batteries which are within the warranty period and threaten to call the regional/territory service manager and such charges will fly away.
Old 17th February 2014, 22:44   #3486
BHPian

Couldn't find any other appropriate thread for sharing this.
Something for the bullet lovers :-)

http://www.storypick.com/video-bike-...l-enfield-fan/

Some of you may have seen it already.

Ignore the people going overboard with the swearing.

Last edited by Ashkait Kapoor : 17th February 2014 at 22:49.
Old 17th February 2014, 23:11   #3487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkait Kapoor View Post
We all have seen it I am sure, but it has n number of expletives. Not sure if mods will approve the video.
Old 17th February 2014, 23:15   #3488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post

We all have seen it I am sure, but it has n number of expletives. Not sure if mods will approve the video.
Guessed so.
Mods please delete if required.
Old 9th March 2014, 20:21   #3489
BHPian

Hey Everyone,

I am asking a question on TB500 ( I know this is a CL500 thread , but as the engines are same, I thought of asking it in an already opened thread )

A few days back, I went for a Ride to Haridwar. During that ride, for the very first time, I ripped my bull & drove it for a straight 5 kms on about 120 KMPH. My usual riding style caries my speed from 80-100 KMPH.

After that day, a weird sound started coming from my cylinder head area. To inspect that the RE Service station opened my Cam gear section & found everything to be alright there. They also opened the overhead hydraulic tappet adjuster & adjusted my tappets.

Now, at least according to me, the tappets are way too loud & my TB is missing. By missing I mean, when I am driving at a moderate speed & I up or downshift and twist the throttle normally, it missing one beat and then drives on.

Parts checked by the dealership / SC :

1. FI unit
2. Intake manifold
3. Spark plugs ( Cleaned )
4. Petrol Tank for water
5. Battery
6. New Oil filter & engine oil ( Motul )
7. Air filter cleaned

Also, for some reason, now it seems that my bike wont do 100 that easy. Being a 500, it used to zip to 100 or maybe even 110, but now it seems that Something is holding my Bull back.

Any ideas or inputs ?

Thanks a ton in advance.
Old 10th March 2014, 11:48   #3490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
Parts checked by the dealership / SC :

1. FI unit
2. Intake manifold
3. Spark plugs ( Cleaned )
4. Petrol Tank for water
5. Battery
6. New Oil filter & engine oil ( Motul )
7. Air filter cleaned
Is the sound a click-click sound?

Now, since the SVC guys have already checked the above units, there is a rubber manifold connecting the air filter and the FI unit. Please check if that rubber manifolds has developed any cracks on it.
Old 10th March 2014, 12:11   #3491
BHPian

Yes, the sound is a click-click sound. Just like the tappets sounds ( Tappets sound twice the amount the engine sounds right ? ). This sounds is now increased & I also hear a secondary click-click when I release the throttle in idle position.

Yes, there is a rubber manifold, I did take it out and reinstall it, but did not check for cracks. Will do it today & report back

EDIT : Just checked it and found no signs of wear and tear. I did find one thing, the Air pipe ( the one connecting the manifold to the catalytic unit near the head, seems loose ) but there is no sign of increased Idling ? can that be something ?

Last edited by shan2129 : 10th March 2014 at 12:21.
Old 11th March 2014, 02:59   #3492
Senior - BHPian

You might try checking the exhaust area for leakage where the exhaust pipe connects to the cylinder head.

Although a major exhaust leak in this area usually is associated with 'chuffing' sounds, all sorts of unexpected sounds can be created by a leak there.

With the engine idling, hold your hand so that the back of it is towards the joint. I don't need to tell you not to burn yourself while doing this.

If you feel a pulsing blast of hot air on the back of your hand you may have discovered the source of the sound.

Also, while your working in the area, tighten up the loose air pipe you discovered.
If it is what I think it is, it is part of the emissions control intended to inject air into the exhaust. If it is loose, it too could create a strange noise.
Old 11th March 2014, 12:12   #3493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
You might try checking the exhaust area for leakage where the exhaust pipe connects to the cylinder head.

Although a major exhaust leak in this area usually is associated with 'chuffing' sounds, all sorts of unexpected sounds can be created by a leak there.

With the engine idling, hold your hand so that the back of it is towards the joint. I don't need to tell you not to burn yourself while doing this.

If you feel a pulsing blast of hot air on the back of your hand you may have discovered the source of the sound.

Also, while your working in the area, tighten up the loose air pipe you discovered.
If it is what I think it is, it is part of the emissions control intended to inject air into the exhaust. If it is loose, it too could create a strange noise.
Thanks ArizonaJim: I Will check for any leaks. In the meanwhile I upgraded to Iridium spark plug & also replaced the Euro 2 pipe( the one that was loose).

The missing problem has been reduced by 90% and the sound has also considerably reduced.

Something my mechanic suggested

He told me, that he can open up the cam section & the rockers to adjust the noise. Should I let him do it ?

Something I am suspicious about
  • Accelerator cable ( I stuck a flag there on 26th Jan ride and it's giving me a hard response since then )
  • Clutch cable / Plates ( hardly run for 5k kms ) I am suspicious about clutch because sometimes on braking and stopping, i pull the clutch, but I still feel that the bike is pulling me a bit & at that time it shuts down. Though, this is a rare case, but can it be due to clutch problem ?

Last edited by shan2129 : 11th March 2014 at 12:14.
Old 11th March 2014, 12:38   #3494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
Something I am suspicious about
  • Accelerator cable ( I stuck a flag there on 26th Jan ride and it's giving me a hard response since then )
  • Clutch cable / Plates ( hardly run for 5k kms ) I am suspicious about clutch because sometimes on braking and stopping, i pull the clutch, but I still feel that the bike is pulling me a bit & at that time it shuts down. Though, this is a rare case, but can it be due to clutch problem ?
shan2129, there is one thing I forgot to ask. Is the missing present all the time? Or is the bike running fine sometimes and then suddenly the missing happens?

Next time when the missing happens,
Stop the bike. Open the fuel tank lid for a few seconds and put it back. And then check if the bike is running fine.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 18:10   #3495
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Soon I may be listing my Nov 2011 CE500 for sale. Its done only 3500 kms. Due to work, travel and other commitments I have not been able to ride much. Feel bad for it and hence thinking selling it off to some one who would enjoy it more than my drive way

Can someone please hint me what sort price I should be expecting? Its in 100% stock condition. Its well kept and maintained and serviced regularly.

Thanks guys

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks