Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2014, 12:24   #3421

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Folks,

I have trouble with some noise coming from near the front section (engine/front tyre/suspension).

It's really hard to describe the sound (it's not the tik-tik-tik) it's sounds more like "skew-skew-skew"(funny I know, couldn't really describe it better :P) like some fluid is being injected or shot at high pressure or may be the disc rubbing while the tire is in motion.

This sound come only when I am riding the bike and not when the bike is idle. What do you think it could be.
Old 8th January 2014, 13:15   #3422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_artemis View Post
It's really hard to describe the sound (it's not the tik-tik-tik) it's sounds more like "skew-skew-skew"(funny I know, couldn't really describe it better :P) like some fluid is being injected or shot at high pressure or may be the disc rubbing while the tire is in motion.

This sound come only when I am riding the bike and not when the bike is idle. What do you think it could be.
The 'skew-skew' while the bike is running suggests its the dirt in between the disc brake pads. Please get the caliper removed and the pads cleaned with sand paper and check again.
Old 8th January 2014, 14:14   #3423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Although the power/torque figures of the B500 are lesser on paper than the C5, in practical conditions it is negligible. So basically the B500 is an over bored (more powerful) STD350UCE with electric starter and disc brake, which in my book is a good thing!

[EDIT]: Forgot to mention that the forest green color looks super classy!
Hey,

I had back to back Td of Classic 500 and Bullet 500, Bullet 500 felt like a old bullet with good torque and pick up compared to Classic 500 however Bullet 500 have some vibrations around 30/40 kmph. I am not sure if that was on demo pices only or not.

Do you have any inputs on this?
Apart from that I can see the Bullet 500 is VFM for me.

Thanks,
vishal
Old 8th January 2014, 14:28   #3424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
I had back to back Td of Classic 500 and Bullet 500, Bullet 500 felt like a old bullet with good torque and pick up compared to Classic 500 however Bullet 500 have some vibrations around 30/40 kmph. I am not sure if that was on demo pices only or not.
AFAIK, B500 should be having same amount of vibes like that of C5 and it should'nt be more than that. Its true that fueling is different but that should'nt be a cause of notable vibration. May be it is that particular test piece. There is a chance that the TR Bike is ill maintained and the chassis mounting nuts may be loose causing those vibrations. Tightening the chassis nuts should be an important part of the maintenance of REs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
@Majumdarda, can you please confirm on the vibration in 30-40kmph range for the Bullet500?

Thanks.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 8th January 2014 at 14:30.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 19:08   #3425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From the above points the decision is clearly toward Bullet 500 however still wants to know expert advice from here.
You should also consider GT500 of budget is not a big issue. Its got better equipment in terms of better pistons, better frame, better engine internals, better shocks, tyres, etc. seat, riding posture can always be tweaked on a bull to suit oneself.

Quote:
I dont want the silencer to reduce engine power or mileage. Neither do i what it to be so load that it wakes-up dogs 1 mile away.
Then why change the silencer at all and waste money?? most of the silencers will affect the power/ mileage/ engine note to some extent. if you just want a slightly louder note then your OEM, try the upswept or a short bottle. Even just removing cat-con from the OEM will fetch you a better note on the stock pipe.

Quote:
I had back to back Td of Classic 500 and Bullet 500, Bullet 500 felt like a old bullet with good torque and pick up compared to Classic 500
again, the comparison may be just the state of mind. May be you are inclined towards the bullet 500, so your mind is playing games trying to convince you for the same. Cos ideally a EFI will have better throttle response, compared to the carbed bullet 500. Especially as they are using a CV technology carb. There a reason why the bullet 500 scores less in bhp and torque, compared to the EFI C5, so in stock condition, the c5 should feel slightly torquier and quicker compared to the bullet 500.
nasirkaka is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 22:32   #3426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
You should also consider GT500 of budget is not a big issue. Its got better equipment in terms of better pistons, better frame, better engine internals, better shocks, tyres, etc. seat, riding posture can always be tweaked on a bull to suit oneself.

again, the comparison may be just the state of mind. May be you are inclined towards the bullet 500, so your mind is playing games trying to convince you for the same. Cos ideally a EFI will have better throttle response, compared to the carbed bullet 500. Especially as they are using a CV technology carb. There a reason why the bullet 500 scores less in bhp and torque, compared to the EFI C5, so in stock condition, the c5 should feel slightly torquier and quicker compared to the bullet 500.
Man,

I went through this thread several times and found a good information on EFI vs carb from your posts where you said carb is better. However now you are saying EFI is good.

I am not inclined toward Bullet 500 as I like Classic look as well, also from last TD I am bit disappointed as Bullet 500 is showing more vibrations compared to C5.

My friend owns Jan 2013 C5 which I am using for a week. It was miss firing on 40/50 kmps so I changed both spark plug, main plug to NGK and secondary to Bosch. The misfiring at 40/50 kmph is stopped now however bullet still miss fires when throttle is released.

What is your thought on current state of RE EFI system?
If my usage is 90% with in city limit and 10% on long tours whats suites me EFI or Carb?

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 9th January 2014, 11:36   #3427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
AFAIK, B500 should be having same amount of vibes like that of C5 and it should'nt be more than that. Its true that fueling is different but that should'nt be a cause of notable vibration. May be it is that particular test piece. There is a chance that the TR Bike is ill maintained and the chassis mounting nuts may be loose causing those vibrations. Tightening the chassis nuts should be an important part of the maintenance of REs.

@Majumdarda, can you please confirm on the vibration in 30-40kmph range for the Bullet500?

Thanks.

Hello all,

Now that I hear everybody calling about vibes and all, I wonder what you actually mean? Considering the road that Pune has, are you all expecting plush butter smooth rides? If that be the case, then probably MayBach suits us all

Jokes apart, I have been riding AmunRa from October, and with the 3 months of experience that I have had, below are the facts :-
  • If one maintains the proper gear and the proper speed, then there is no knocking. No vibrations felt.
  • Post 85, there is some amount of vibration, but then that depends upon the type of shoes you are wearing. My leather shoes do not indicate anything, whereas the Woodland one, makes me feel the vibes. (very little)
  • Post 90, (I have ridden only a couple of times), there are possible vibes felt, but I am not that confident in that range and it is beyond by comfort level of cruising.
  • Straight line stability at the time of hard brakes from 70 (I have tested this) is superb, feels like the weight is adding to your plus factor.
  • For city rides, which is 100% for me, as off roads and touring has not started that much, motorcycle is extremely maneuverable. Even in bumper to bumper traffic.

But like a fellow BHPian had mentioned earlier, getting the perfect vibe and error free motorcycle is of a bit of luck with RE, and I consider myself lucky in that aspect. Amen.

Best regards,

P.S. :- Please do not consider your decision based on the test ride motorcycles. Please do one thing Vishal, go to SiddhAuto located at Kothrud and take the test ride on the available Bullet 500 over there. Also take one ride from the Kings Auto. Doing that, I think you will have a fair idea. What say, pal ?
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 11:51   #3428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Man,

I went through this thread several times and found a good information on EFI vs carb from your posts where you said carb is better. However now you are saying EFI is good.
I am not saying either is good over the other. both tech have their merits and de-merits esp in context of RE. would depend on what one is expecting from his ride. In response to your thoughts after the Test ride, when u said the carbed bullet 500 felt quicker, all i was saying is that EFI will have better throttle response over the ucal CV BS33 carb which they are using on the bullet 500. If i was to choose between the two today, i would ditch the C5 and go for the carbed bullet 500, as my personal experience with EFI is been unpleasant. on the same note, i am totally satisfied with EFI system of my ktm 390, been running without any hiccups for 2.5k kms now.

Quote:
I am not inclined toward Bullet 500 as I like Classic look as well, also from last TD I am bit disappointed as Bullet 500 is showing more vibrations compared to C5.
All bulls are different, some C5 may vibrate more then bullet 500, some bullet 500 may vibrate more compared to some C5s. the vibes can be reduced to an extent but proper alignment, balancing, and fastners tightened to proper torque, etc. but bullet type long stroke single pots will always have vibrations.

Quote:
My friend owns Jan 2013 C5 which I am using for a week. It was miss firing on 40/50 kmps so I changed both spark plug, main plug to NGK and secondary to Bosch. The misfiring at 40/50 kmph is stopped now however bullet still miss fires when throttle is released.
Is it running on stock silencer? and popping sound from the exhaust while accelerating is different from engine misfiring. which one are you referring to.

Quote:
If my usage is 90% with in city limit and 10% on long tours whats suites me EFI or Carb?
Actually its been more then a year since i got my bike converted to carb. Not really in touch with the current EFI bikes, but the general feel (gathered from these discussion forums) is people have been running fine on the EFI without much issues.
And if 90% of usage is in city, why dont you test ride a KTM as well. Its a sweet bike for city as well as highway, much superior to bulls on technology parameters, very quick, well balanced, good brakes, etc. and the best part is much better service experience compared to the bulls, and also much cheaper to maintain. Else go with your heart, between the bulls, as both the C5 and bullet 500 are reliable enough.
nasirkaka is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 11:58   #3429
BHPian

Quote:

I am bit disappointed as Bullet 500 is showing more vibrations compared to C5.
Honestly, why would you care about vibrations on a bullet? You wouldn't feel like you're riding a bullet if you don't get the tickle to go along with it.

Quote:
Does he have an aftermarket silencer? The exhaust sound when you release the throttle isn't related to a misfire. Its just how the changed exhaust length impacts the flow of gases with the new bikes.

Quote:

Thanks,
Vishal
I don't think your usage pattern really demands one vs the other. Its more of a personal preference on which one you should finally decide on. You'd rarely notice the difference between the efi or carb. The power drop on paper is about 1 bhp but the torque is just 0.4 different, not sure if thats going to make a noticeable difference.

What you may want to consider is factors like resale value between the two since I feel the classic will have more takers than the std500. Or the seating position for that matter is different between the two, this directly impacts comfort on long rides etc. The one thing I didn't like about the std500 was that they have silver trim lines in the tank vs the traditional gold which they've given on the green.

Last edited by amolpol : 9th January 2014 at 12:04.
Old 9th January 2014, 11:58   #3430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post

P.S. :- Please do not consider your decision based on the test ride motorcycles. Please do one thing Vishal, go to SiddhAuto located at Kothrud and take the test ride on the available Bullet 500 over there. Also take one ride from the Kings Auto. Doing that, I think you will have a fair idea. What say, pal ?
Perfect, this weekend is booked for bullet TD with wife so will visit Siddh Auto and Kings as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post

All bulls are different, some C5 may vibrate more then bullet 500, some bullet 500 may vibrate more compared to some C5s. the vibes can be reduced to an extent but proper alignment, balancing, and fastners tightened to proper torque, etc. but bullet type long stroke single pots will always have vibrations.

Is it running on stock silencer? and popping sound from the exhaust while accelerating is different from engine misfiring. which one are you referring to.

Actually its been more then a year since i got my bike converted to carb. Not really in touch with the current EFI bikes, but the general feel (gathered from these discussion forums) is people have been running fine on the EFI without much issues.
And if 90% of usage is in city, why dont you test ride a KTM as well. Its a sweet bike for city as well as highway, much superior to bulls on technology parameters, very quick, well balanced, good brakes, etc. and the best part is much better service experience compared to the bulls, and also much cheaper to maintain. Else go with your heart, between the bulls, as both the C5 and bullet 500 are reliable enough.
Ok thanks for detail view. So now I will take decision from heart and not mind as both the technology have some pulse and minus.

My friend's C5 is running on stock setup, I changed the plugs in last week and the miss fire on high speed is gone however there is still miss fire on throttle release. That is not miss firing from exhaust for sure its from engine itself and it feel like if you have switched off bike for micro seconds.

Duke will be my next bike for sure, this time I am just filling empty space of my old bullet CI 350 which I sold last year while buying Thar CRDe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Honestly, why would you care about vibrations on a bullet? You wouldn't feel like you're riding a bullet if you don't get the tickle to go along with it.

I don't think your usage pattern really demands one vs the other. Its more of a personal preference on which one you should finally decide on. You'd rarely notice the difference between the efi or carb. The power drop on paper is about 1 bhp but the torque is just 0.4 different, not sure if thats going to make a noticeable difference.

What you may want to consider is factors like resale value between the two since I feel the classic will have more takers than the std500. Or the seating position for that matter is different between the two, this directly impacts comfort on long rides etc. The one thing I didn't like about the std500 was that they have silver trim lines in the tank vs the traditional gold which they've given on the green.
True Amol! Vibration is not new for me as I have owned CI 350 for 4 yrs and using Thar for a year now just wanted to clear doubts so that I will choose right technology.

why I explained my usage pattern because I got advice that if EFI runs low or with in city limits then plugs collects carbon and bike shows some issues.

No resale this time. This bullet will be with me for whole life.

Thanks,
Vishal.

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 9th January 2014 at 12:16. Reason: added more quotes.
Old 9th January 2014, 16:07   #3431
BHPian

Quote:
Perfect, this weekend is booked for bullet TD with wife so will visit Siddh Auto and Kings as well.
---
Thanks,
Vishal.
Try Siddh Auto. They have all the models for Test Ride. I have taken test rides of DS /New Bullet 500 and latest GT also.

I have booked DS500 in August 26th with them. It was their Showroom opening day . My bike was allocated in first week of December , only 3 and half months waiting . Due to a medical emergency , I requested them to allocate me a bike in Jan End /Feb. They happily agreed. I am expecting my DS this month end or in Feb.

BTW are you into 4X4 off roading? I had built an Ex Army 550 from scratch . Good to see another Jeeper here in Bullet Section.

Regards,
Ricky_3007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 16:19   #3432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Try Siddh Auto. They have all the models for Test Ride. I have taken test rides of DS /New Bullet 500 and latest GT also.

I have booked DS500 in August 26th with them. It was their Showroom opening day . My bike was allocated in first week of December , only 3 and half months waiting . Due to a medical emergency , I requested them to allocate me a bike in Jan End /Feb. They happily agreed. I am expecting my DS this month end or in Feb.

BTW are you into 4X4 off roading? I had built an Ex Army 550 from scratch . Good to see another Jeeper here in Bullet Section.

Regards,
Yes, I am planning a visit to Siddh Auto on weekend. Today after my above post I went to Kings Auto in lunch break and had TD of Bullet 500 which was in stock condition no silencer change etc. and Classic 500. Now I am leaning more toward Classic 500 may be because I am using one for last one week and got comfortable with seating position and over all look. However I am still evaluating Bullet 500 as my wife like old bullet look much.

When you did TD of Bullet 500 and DS 500, what made you to go for DS 500?

Yes, I am in 4x4 as well I own Thar CRDe Rocky Beige Dec 2012 model. I think I have saw your restoration thread or may be we have talked earlier. Lets meet sometime.

Edit: Man, I use to follow your thread when I was not a member at TBHP.

Thanks,
Vishal.

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 9th January 2014 at 16:23.
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 12:05   #3433
BHPian

Quote:
When you did TD of Bullet 500 and DS 500, what made you to go for DS 500?

Yes, I am in 4x4 as well I own Thar CRDe Rocky Beige Dec 2012 model. I think I have saw your restoration thread or may be we have talked earlier. Lets meet sometime.

Edit: Man, I use to follow your thread when I was not a member at TBHP.

Thanks,
Vishal.
I did TD of DS500 and C5 when I booked it in August. Then I went to see Bullet 500 when it was launched all India . I did TD in Sept. Infact there was an option from Siddh Auto that I can shift my booking from DS500 to Bullet 500 and get the bike in 1.5months i.e. in Nov itself. But I kept my booking for DS only as I am inclined more towards the Army look. I wanted the Battle Green but it is not for India/ only Army men can book the same.
So I went for DS.

I did TD of GT in Dec when I had gone to Siddh auto for post-poning my bike allocation from Dec to Jan / Feb.

Thanks for following my thread. I am disengaged off roader now (Thanks to my friend Dan from 4X4 section for this name to all those who sold their 4X4 Jeeps) . A jeep is ther in mind always. I will surely build a jeep in future again.

I spoke to lot of people when I was very active on Jeep restoration , may be we have talked that time. Sure we will meet again . I have not driven Thar yet so may be I can get a chance. PM me your cell no.

Regards,
Ricky_3007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 12:16   #3434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jundi View Post
Bulleteers, any recommendations for a silencer on the C5?

What are you guys running?
I am running an upswept Goldstar with glasswool made by Sans since about an year on my CL500. The thump is mellow at idle and opens up with the throttle, which is to my liking but, the big problem is the annoying popping noise when you close the throttle, so much that it can scare people around you. Especially pronounced when you have just accelerated hard.
Quality of the silencer is so so only, within a month I started seeing rust and now its almost completely lost the chrome sheen. And now, I've also started hearing a metal 'cling' noise with the thump.
I dont know about the quality of the upswept, but planning to shift to that soon.
cogentr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 12:23   #3435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogentr View Post
I am running an upswept Goldstar with glasswool made by Sans since about an year on my CL500... And now, I've also started hearing a metal 'cling' noise with the thump.
Is it a free flow one? If it is a free flow, check if all the clamps are fastened properly for that metal clinking sound. Especially the nut at the end of the bend pipe where the up-swept is slipped on.

If it is not a freeflow, then there is a chance that the baffles inside it might have gone loose from the weld and hence is vibrating inside the bottle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks