Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2013, 09:15   #3406
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
I would give a serious thought. I sometime feel my rear tire sliding (kind of punctured tire feeling) fooling myself to pullover and check for flats.

For C500 series, the front is 19" and rear is 18". Any recommendations?

As for the brakes I realized sooner that the rear doesn't hold up at all. Started using both Front and Rear brakes simultaneously.

Also, I want to check if there is a possibility to fit a fuel lock? Someone attempted to steal it when I was out of station. The fuel hose was found loose and noticed only when I started it, the fuel was kind of spraying from the loosely connected hose.
I use a combination of a Michelin SIRAC Rear( 18" rim) and a Pirelli Scorpion front (18" rim) and the tires are amazing on and off road. I picked these tires up in Bangkok since they are no longer available for sale in India. But you are in luck, The Triumph Bonnie uses a 19" front and that tire may be adaptable to the C5. The new Continental GT also comes shod with Pirelli tires that will be very good for on road use on the C5( front rim is 18" on the GT). Michelin makes a tire called the Anakee 2 that is available in 19" size and is a very good tire but you will have to look for this tire in the imported accessories shops.
You cannot put in any lock on the C5 petrol circuit since that pipe you see is a pressurized system( fuel pump in the tank). Get a bike cover and tie it over the bike to reduce the chances of people fiddling with it.

Regards
Naren

Last edited by hexanerax : 30th December 2013 at 09:18. Reason: Added conti GT rim size
hexanerax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 09:40   #3407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azm@bpl View Post
Well since we are discussing tyres here, I want to know what would be the effect on handling and ride quality if the tyre size of Thunderbird is reduced from 18" to 16" or 15" at rear and 19" to 17" at the front? Will it make the bike more stable?
The size of the rim is chosen by the designer to complement the suspension geometry. Tire diameter affects the rake and trail and influences handling, turn in , straight line stability and overall steering geometry. A rim size change may be carried out if

a) The overall dimension of the new rim + tire is very close to the original( within a couple of mm )
b) If the rider understands the effect of the new size on handling and wants that change( maybe for trails use or track days)

Tires become heavier for the larger widths in the bigger rim sizes and affect the suspension as well as acceleration and top speed so generally, weight also needs to be considered while making the choice. This is not simple and has implications on the safety of the rider under varying conditions and cannot be executed without analysis. Check out the page below for some info...
http://sportbike.natkd.com/motorcycle_geometry_101.htm

Regards
Naren
Old 30th December 2013, 16:55   #3408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Hi Vishal,

Sorry to hear about your friends Bull, classic 500 is an extremely good machine.

Regard,
Jimit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Thar4x4

Shortly after buying my FI 500cc RE I noticed similar problems.
I posted my issue on the US Royal Enfield website and it was suggested that the problem was with the twin electrode Bosch spark plug the factory installs in the new bikes.

I changed the sparkplug to the NGK BPR6ES they suggested and never had the problem again.
Guys,

We got the following spark plug options from our forum and our trusted mechanic:

1. NGK Iridium IX Plug set
2. Bosch Platinum - Iridium Fusion
3. Bosch Super 4

Stock is spark plug is manufactured by Bosch.

What is your recommendations on which one to be used?
Old 30th December 2013, 19:00   #3409
BHPian

Hi,

All new C5 models come with a factory fitted Bosch Platinum single electrode plug. The plug was also installed free on the older bikes that had been delivered. This plug was installed in response to carbon fouling complaints on the earlier twin electrode 'Super' plugs. The C5 needs a 'Hot' plug to combat carbon buildup caused by low throttle openings and short duration runs that most riders subject the bike to.
I have been running the Platinum Fusion - 4 Electrode surface gap plug for over 3 Years now with no problems in starting or running at all altitudes from Sea Level to Kardung- La and temperatures from 48 Deg C to -15 Deg C. I do tend to keep the revs up and ride hard and fast most times and the larger throttle openings do help in keeping a relatively leaner A/F mix as opposed to small throttle openings.

Regards
Naren
Old 31st December 2013, 08:23   #3410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexanerax View Post
You cannot put in any lock on the C5 petrol circuit since that pipe you see is a pressurized system( fuel pump in the tank). Get a bike cover and tie it over the bike to reduce the chances of people fiddling with it.

Regards
Naren
If the pump is in the tank, then fuel cannot be drawn out without turning the ignition ON right? If this is true, then the thief just made a vain attempt but plugged the hose loosely back to the nozzle.
Old 31st December 2013, 19:57   #3411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
If the pump is in the tank, then fuel cannot be drawn out without turning the ignition ON right? If this is true, then the thief just made a vain attempt but plugged the hose loosely back to the nozzle.
This query can be disregarded ... found the answer here -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2236469
Old 4th January 2014, 11:21   #3412
BHPian

I'm going to get the battery changed on our C500.Any recommendation for upgrade? Or is the standard spec enough? Thanks!
Old 4th January 2014, 12:16   #3413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
I'm going to get the battery changed on our C500.Any recommendation for upgrade? Or is the standard spec enough? Thanks!
Get a Exide 14Ah from a Exide dealer and not from the RE workshop. Anything above Exide and alike would be expensive anyways so why spend more.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 01:53   #3414
Distinguished - BHPian

If you can find one with the correct 12V 14Ah rating buy a AGM type battery. They are made by a number of different companies.

The advantage of the AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery is it is totally sealed.
There is no need to check the fluid level. It can't spill if the motorcycle gets tipped over, and they are the latest technology available.

If an AGM battery isn't available, a "Sealed" battery would be my second choice.
Being sealed, they also do not need to be checked to make sure the fluid level is full and they are unlikely to spill if they are tipped over.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 23:10   #3415
BHPian

Guys,

I am confused between Bullet 500 and Classic 500, mostly I am going to book one on this weekend however still not sure as both have almost same score points as follows:

Bullet 500

+ Carb so no complexity.
+ Legendary look
+ Best seating position.
+ Cost, VFM and less by 20 K compared to Classic.

-I think I am loosing hi-end technology like EFI.

Classic 500
+ EFI, high-end technology
+ Classy look

- Seats are not comfortable for long rides.
- Can't play with exhause and other things because of EFI.

From the above points the decision is clearly toward Bullet 500 however still wants to know expert advice from here.

Thanks,
Vishal
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 06:53   #3416
BHPian

Friends, would you know if the wait period for Classic 500 or Desert Storme has come down???
I booked mine in August 1st week and there isn't a hint of delivery timeline yet.
I heard Cafe racer has less wait period, and wait period in general for Classic models has reduced after the oragadam plant launch.
Please help

Last edited by harishpr : 7th January 2014 at 07:14.
Old 7th January 2014, 11:04   #3417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
Friends, would you know if the wait period for Classic 500 or Desert Storme has come down???
I booked mine in August 1st week and there isn't a hint of delivery timeline yet.
I heard Cafe racer has less wait period, and wait period in general for Classic models has reduced after the oragadam plant launch.
Please help
Yes the waiting period is came down however it works for particular models and colours only. Desert Storme is hot now days and you have to wait around 7/8 months for it however if you book Classic 500 in sea blue then you can get it in 2/3 months. Forget about Classic 350 as one have to wait for more than 10 months for it.

Also its RE strategy that they send newer models very fast so that it can fetch customer from waiting list.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 7th January 2014, 11:16   #3418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Bullet 500

+ Carb so no complexity.
+ Legendary look
+ Best seating position.
+ Cost, VFM and less by 20 K compared to Classic.

-I think I am loosing hi-end technology like EFI.

Classic 500
+ EFI, high-end technology
+ Classy look
- Seats are not comfortable for long rides.
- Can't play with exhause and other things because of EFI.

From the above points the decision is clearly toward Bullet 500 however still wants to know expert advice from here.

Thanks,
Vishal
Vishal,

You have already posted spot on observations regarding the two.

As you said, if you are a fan of the Bullet 500's looks go for it. As the machine has lesser electronics than the C5. And yes, the legendary comfortable seat is another plus point. My theory of RE's: Lesser the electronics on it, the better it is. I am not saying the EFI unit is unreliable but Carb gives much more peace of mind.

Although the power/torque figures of the B500 are lesser on paper than the C5, in practical conditions it is negligible. So basically the B500 is an over bored (more powerful) STD350UCE with electric starter and disc brake, which in my book is a good thing!

[EDIT]: Forgot to mention that the forest green color looks super classy!

Last edited by man_of_steel : 7th January 2014 at 11:20.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 00:25   #3419

Bulleteers, any recommendations for a silencer on the C5?
1) Goldstar
2) Monster
3) Megaphone
4) Wildboar
5) Torpedo (new heard of it before)
6) RE's on Upswept silencer?

I dont want the silencer to reduce engine power or mileage. Neither do i what it to be so load that it wakes-up dogs 1 mile away.

What are you guys running?
Old 8th January 2014, 10:31   #3420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jundi View Post

I dont want the silencer to reduce engine power or mileage. Neither do i what it to be so load that it wakes-up dogs 1 mile away.

What are you guys running?
If this is your purpose then all options are out as they either very loud or not good for engine health. The only option you have is "RE's Upswept silencer". We tried Goldstar however engine behave bad so removed with in a 100 km. RE's up-swept reduce top-speed bit but that is not very noticeable in practice and gives good old thump as well.

Thanks,
Vishal
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed