Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2013, 21:35   #3376
BHPian

50 days of my Thunderbird 500 with 1000kms on the odo.

Well thats not the story I wish to share.

Bike had a defective fuel pump from the day1. The noise that it was making while switching on the ignition and when the engine was running was too loud to be comfortable. When I pointed this out to the service guys they told that it was a normal sound and every fuel gives away this humming. But to me it was not humming rather a loud buzz. Later when I took the bike for first service, I got the chance to get it compared with that of a DS. And there it was!! Mine was like aE clatter compared to the muted buzz of the DS.
The service guys had to admit that the fuel pump was defective. But they were reluctant to replace it under warranty as it is too expensive (8k) and they had to order it to RE. They spoke to the Area Svc Manager and he preferred to look other way. I mailed the RE customer care about the entire issue keeping the Regional Svc Head in loop. To my surprise they comfortably sat over it for almost a week without caring to even acknowledge the mail.
Then I took the help of Twitter.
After I have tagged RE page I got a call the very next day from Chennai and after two days got the fuel pump changed.
azm@bpl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2013, 09:44   #3377
BHPian

There is definitely quality issues with this bike.
1. A couple of months ago when i started the bike i got a strong smell of petrol. What was happening was as soon as i turn on the ignition a continuous jet of petrol was hitting the engine leaking out of the fuel line where it enters the joint. I think that this is a dangerous issue but was handled very casually at the service center as if this is normal.
2. They have not been able to resolve the electric start issue unable to charge the battery at the service center saying 'battery charger is not working'.
3. RE needs to work on easy customisation of their bikes especially seats. Rider ergonomics are vital, riders being of different heights, wrong riding posture can do lots of damage to the riders back.
4. Bike of this size needs ABS IMO.
Old 11th December 2013, 13:05   #3378

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Hi Guys,
Does anyone know if the rear gas-filled shocker of the Classic 500 is the same as the one on the Electra. The RE parts guys say that they have been using the same for both models. Thanks.
Old 11th December 2013, 14:41   #3379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azm@bpl;3313512[B
]But they were reluctant to replace it under warranty as it is too expensive[/b] (8k) and they had to order it to RE...
To my surprise they comfortably sat over it for almost a week without caring to even acknowledge the mail.
Then I took the help of Twitter.
After I have tagged RE page I got a call the very next day from Chennai and after two days got the fuel pump changed.
Sorry to hear about it bro! I know how it feels.. But I am surprised by their attitude turning down a replacement claim by saying that the part is costly! I mean, I know that they are a bunch of hopeless morons but this took me by surprise! And good work on the twitter stuff. These things definitely needs to be brought into notice of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Objectiveman View Post
Hi Guys,
Does anyone know if the rear gas-filled shocker of the Classic 500 is the same as the one on the Electra. The RE parts guys say that they have been using the same for both models. Thanks.
They are the same, made by Endurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
There is definitely quality issues with this bike.
2. They have not been able to resolve the electric start issue unable to charge the battery at the service center saying 'battery charger is not working'.
Thats the alternator. Make sure you get it replaced under the warranty.
Quote:
4. Bike of this size needs ABS IMO.
Forget about ABS! Atleast they should start by making the brakes better. A bike weighing close to 200kilos needs some serious stopping power to handle the momentum it generates! One of the primary reasons why I sold my TBTS.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 11th December 2013 at 14:48.
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 16:43   #3380
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I am facing two issues with my May 2012 Classic 500 Desert Storm:

1. The rear tyre tread has almost worn out and the Bullet has done just 18000 kms. What is the ideal/approx km running after which one needs to change the tyre? I recently changed the rear tyre of my Pulsar 150 and it had 43000 km on the odo. So isn't 18000 kms is tad too early for a tyre change considering that my Desert Storm has suffered just one puncture in the past 19 months of ownership at about 17200 kms.

2. The rear grab-rail has excessive rusting issues. Shall I replace the grab-rail or get an aftermarket pillion backrest that might be more comfortable. I have seen some Classic's with the previous Thunderbird's backrest, but they do not look good to me. Can't comment about the comfort levels though.

Please advice. Thanks.
Old 13th December 2013, 03:48   #3381
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO, 18000 km isn't bad for a motorcycle with the weight and power of a 500cc Desert Storm.

The Pulsar 150 only weighs about 2/3 as much as the RE and only has about 1/3 the torque.

I've owned some motorcycles with very "sticky" performance tyres that were doing good to get 4000 km on them before they were totally worn out.
I don't ride my bikes hard either so that sort of poor mileage is just the way it is with some tyres on a powerful, heavy motorcycle.

Getting back to your RE, your tyres are all that's between you and disaster so by all means, buy a new tyre.

Ride safe and keep it rubber side down.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 09:24   #3382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I am facing two issues with my May 2012 Classic 500 Desert Storm:

1. The rear tyre tread has almost worn out and the Bullet has done just 18000 kms. What is the ideal/approx km running after which one needs to change the tyre? I recently changed the rear tyre of my Pulsar 150 and it had 43000 km on the odo. So isn't 18000 kms is tad too early for a tyre change considering that my Desert Storm has suffered just one puncture in the past 19 months of ownership at about 17200 kms.

2. The rear grab-rail has excessive rusting issues. Shall I replace the grab-rail or get an aftermarket pillion backrest that might be more comfortable. I have seen some Classic's with the previous Thunderbird's backrest, but they do not look good to me. Can't comment about the comfort levels though.

Please advice. Thanks.

18K is good enough. A lot depends upon the weight of the bike and riding style/road conditions. Mine never lasted more then 10k on the rear so what you got is a good mileage.

Personally I don't like the aftermarket jugadd. Go for the Standard 500 backrest, it's quite slim and adequate for run around the city.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 16:47   #3383
BHPian

Hi All,

I am Tarkesh and I am from Pune. I am a member of T-BHP 4X4 forum since I built an Ex-Army MM550 Jeep from scratch.

I have been a regular reader of this thread for long time now. I could gather a 3-4 xls sheets of info on various aspects of Bullet like PDI, Initial Run in , few niggling issues , Quality, parts and what not...

All thanks to Mr.Randhawa - the Guru of C500. With Randhawa, I am really amazed to see the kind of info shared by Jim, Naren,Nasir,Man of Steel, and others ..Kudos to all.

I am waiting for my DS 500 which is due for delivery in Jan 2014. Actually it was allotted this month only but I deffered it to Jan 2014. This thread has helped me emmensely in preparing myself to enter to RE world . This is my 2nd bike after Pulsar 150(2003) and 4th 2 Wheeler after Bajaj Super(college days) and then Wego for wife(2011).

I am happy that I have this classic thread to help me in whatever ways.

Same like 4X4 forum I would like to interact all of you to share experiences. I would like to join C5 owners from Pune for any long tours/rides as well.

Happy Thmping!!

Regards,

As I read here , is there any matte paint sealants/Laquers/clear coats available for Matte paint of DS in US?
My Sis - in - law is coming from Chicago next week . Can I ask her to carry any such thing if it is really available there? Can anybody help me in this.

If it is available and really helpful then I can aske her to bring it and apply once I get the delivery to protect/improve the paint. I got to know that the Matte paint quality of DS500 is not that good.

Randhawa Sir / Jim any clue here?

Happy Thumping

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th December 2013 at 14:36. Reason: back to back posts
Ricky_3007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 05:53   #3384
Distinguished - BHPian

There are several rattle can matt clear coat paints available in the US.
Krylon 1303 Matte seems to be made more for crafts projects so I would question its life outside where the UV is high. Metal or paint is not mentioned as being a suitable base.

Krylon 53530 Flat Acrylic Clear is an indoor/outdoor paint that is supposed to be more UV resistant.

RustOleum 249087 Ultra Cover matte clear doesn't say if it is suitable for outdoor use but most of its products are.

Duplicolor offers a "HWP106 High Performance Wheel Paint" matte clear coat that is made for use on automobiles so it is suitable for outdoor use.
I used Duplicolor High gloss clear coat on some areas on my Miata to fix some spots where the factory clearcoat was beginning to fail after 10 years.
It lasted about 9 months in the Arizona sunshine and then became a hazy dull translucent ugly coating.

All of these products must be well shaken before use to thoroughly mix up the matting agent into the paint. They must also be sprayed when it is warm. If it is too cool they will create a milky look that is most unappealing.

That said, there may be a serious problem if someone tries to ship these products home to India by air. Many airlines take a dim view of transporting volatile, flammable fluids like these in commercial aircraft. There may also be problems with Customs as some countries have restrictions on various chemicals.

Perhaps your best option would be to apply a suitable wax and then just wipe it off without buffing it?

My time limit has expired so I can't modify my last post with the following important thoughts:

The Krylon and RustOleum paints are not noted for their resistance to petrol.
If they are applied to the fuel tank, that could be a problem.

The lacquer based paints are also known for destroying some decals so, depending on what Royal Enfield used for their stick on labels they may wrinkle and fall off if the paint is applied over them.

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th December 2013 at 14:37. Reason: Merging back to back posts...
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 11:20   #3385
Senior - BHPian

Went to JC road on saturday to the place where one can get all sorts of Royal Enfield accessories. Picked up indicator caps, a brass (made like a gun) plate for the rear mud-guard, Enfield Cycles co Pvt LTD sticker and a Vega helmet (imitation LS 2).
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_3520.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_3521.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_3522.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_3528.jpg  

Old 16th December 2013, 17:39   #3386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkenkare View Post
Can we use a thick oil for lubricating the chain even though the chains being fitted on CL500s are with O-rings ?
Can we use a thick oil for lubricating the chain even though the chains being fitted on CL500s are with O-rings ?
Old 16th December 2013, 18:11   #3387
Senior - BHPian

I am in process of buying another bike and the RE was looked at too. Now I am totally sold on the way the C500 in Battle Green looks and I want to get one. I am wondering if this is a special edition for our Defence forces or its available for us to buy one.

If there is a BHPian who owns this C500 in battle green, can you post some pictures of the thumper in its natural habitat
Old 16th December 2013, 18:20   #3388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkenkare View Post
By thick, did you mean engine oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I am in process of buying another bike and the RE was looked at too. Now I am totally sold on the way the C500 in Battle Green looks and I want to get one. I am wondering if this is a special edition for our Defence forces or its available for us to buy one.
Assuming you are talking about buying one in India, No. The 'battle green' or 'military green' color is reserved only for vehicles of the Indian Army and it is not possible to get that color entered in the RC book of a civilian vehicle. Generally the RTO will not allow that. But I have seen guys repainting the Classic 350/500s with the battle green but all of them I know havent bothered to get the color in the RC book changed, something I would never recommend. But you can get it painted in a slightly different shade of green.

And the battle green color mentioned in the international RE site is for sale only outside India. Also, Ive never heard of RE supplying UCE powered bikes for the Army either!

Last edited by man_of_steel : 16th December 2013 at 18:24.
Old 16th December 2013, 18:27   #3389
BHPian

Quote:

If there is a BHPian who owns this C500 in battle green, can you post some pictures of the thumper in its natural habitat
Hello anachronix,

Welcome to the world of Bulls.

The Battle Green is itself not available in India due to the Military regulations, you have instead the Forest Green color.

One of our members here has bought the Forest Green and below is the thread link for your reference.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...0-amun-ra.html

Regards,
Jimmy
Old 16th December 2013, 18:31   #3390
BHPian

Quote:

Hello anachronix,

Welcome to the world of Bulls.

The Battle Green is itself not available in India due to the Military regulations, you have instead the Forest Green color.

One of our members
Quote:
Majumdarda
here has bought the Forest Green and below is the thread link for your reference.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...0-amun-ra.html

Regards,
Jimmy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks