Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2013, 19:39   #3211
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mate,
Thought that the new age Enfields come with O-Ring chain? Am i wrong?
Always thought the 3M Chain Cleaner in conjunction with Motul Chain Lube is more than sufficient. Doing it once in 800-1000 kms based on the terrain should take care of it.
No you are not wrong. They do come with o-ring chains. But if you clean them wrong or don't take care of it then to start from fresh you got to remove and clean it throughly. Due to our dusty environment they do get lot of dust and sand so you got to take extra care.
Old 19th August 2013, 00:51   #3212
BHPian

Hi Everyone!

My 2012 Classic 500 Desert Storm's been giving me a bit of a starting problem. This was always a minor issue for me, but of late its become even worse.
I've suspected the battery was the culprit but was never able to convince the RE service folk at my local dealership.

6 months out of the warranty period and the Battery just ran out of juice. I know I could simply get it charged again, but does anybody recommend an upgrade.
Maybe a higher capacity model? Something that could be done without a lot of modifications being made.
Old 19th August 2013, 10:55   #3213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviouravenger View Post
Hi Everyone!

Maybe a higher capacity model? Something that could be done without a lot of modifications being made.
you can try service free 16 Ah battery for your bull. I am using Tektronic 12V 16Ah for about a year now and till now there is no problem at all.
adroit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 10:57   #3214
BHPian

My TBTS makes a tick-tick sound from the chain. Sound reduces with lubrication but rarely goes away completely. I observed it sometime in the last 5000km. I have not been able to find what is the source of the noise. Some of the links are a bit hard though. Examined the locking link in the chain as a potential source of noise and found it to be all right. I do lubrication at 500km intervals with chain-spray and have never washed with water or wd 40. Reading the last few posts in this thread got me thinking whether it is an issue with my chain. Should i replace it?
Old 19th August 2013, 14:53   #3215
BHPian

Hi Randhawa,

sir need advice. the new TBTS 500 is riding fine, however when I ride pillion it seems the chain is loose or hitting someplace it seems, there seems a tak tak sound , need to visit the service center to figure it out.

any recommendations ?
Old 19th August 2013, 17:08   #3216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit View Post
you can try service free 16 Ah battery for your bull. I am using Tektronic 12V 16Ah for about a year now and till now there is no problem at all.
I googled but couldn't locate this brand in India. I may be wrong but any pointers to this brand and model will help. How much does it cost?

Is the C500's dyno efficient enough to charge if
1) an additional fog lamp is mounted?
2) change headlamp to 90/100?
Old 20th August 2013, 03:36   #3217
Distinguished - BHPian

@ chotu_r
If any of the drive chain links seem to be stiff, replace the chain.
The rear sprocket is not very robust and its teeth can rapidly be damaged if a bad chain is used. If the sprocket becomes damaged with bent or missing teeth, it must be changed too so it is better to spend a little now for a new chain than it is to spend a lot for a new chain and sprocket later.

@ sgmitr13

The electrical power output of the UCE engines, unless RE has done some improvement since 2011, leaves a lot to be desired.
Currently I'm using a 40w/50w headlight bulb on my G5. I have also installed a led voltage indicator to keep tabs on the available power as I ride.

Even with this headlight on low beam (40w), at an idle the system voltage is at or slightly below 12 volts. At a riding speed of 50mph (81 kmph) the voltage rises to 14 volts, which is enough to charge the battery.

With the headlight on high beam (50w) the voltage at an idle is below 12 volts. The battery is supplying the power. At 50 mph the voltage rises to 12 volts but does not reach 14 volts (the next glowing led).
This leads me to believe it is somewhere in the 13 volt range which will barely charge the battery.

For what it's worth, I've tested the voltage at the battery with a volt/ohm meter and the voltages I mentioned seem to be very close to agreeing.
With the headlight turned off, the voltage at the battery is 13v at idle and 14.8v with the engine reved up to a speed that would be close to riding at 50 mph.

All that said, IMO, if you change the headlight to anything much higher than 50 watts, plan on recharging your battery each night after you've ridden any distance.
If you don't, the battery will soon be dead.
ArizonaJim is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 09:35   #3218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
All that said, IMO, if you change the headlight to anything much higher than 50 watts, plan on recharging your battery each night after you've ridden any distance.
If you don't, the battery will soon be dead.
Just last week I came across a fellow TBhpian, he has this old CI RE350 and he re-winded his dyno soon after he bought (new) so he could install a more powerful headlamp directly from the dyno. This must be back in late 90s.
Old 20th August 2013, 11:30   #3219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Hi Randhawa,

sir need advice. the new TBTS 500 is riding fine, however when I ride pillion it seems the chain is loose or hitting someplace it seems, there seems a tak tak sound , need to visit the service center to figure it out.

any recommendations ?
It's a loose chain and that's all to it. Get it checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
I googled but couldn't locate this brand in India. I may be wrong but any pointers to this brand and model will help. How much does it cost?

Is the C500's dyno efficient enough to charge if
1) an additional fog lamp is mounted?
2) change headlamp to 90/100?
UCE alternator is powerful enough to support three lamps unless your battery is not charging up or there is a fault with the charging system. Just keep the speed above 70 and switch off the extra lights if going slow in city traffic.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 14:42   #3220
BHPian

Issue with paint job

my RE DS500 had some kind of paint bubbling on the left hand side of the petrol tank and this was pointed out to the sales guys, these guys tell that the company will be doing a re-paint job on the same rather than getting a replacement tank. Should i escalate the issue with the higher officials at RE or should go ahead with the re-paint job. Need your suggestions on the same, and if i have to escalate it to the higher officials can some one provide me the point of contact too.
Old 21st August 2013, 16:54   #3221
J.Ravi

Re: Issue with paint job

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmenon View Post
can some one provide me the point of contact too.
Shoot a mail with photographs to customerservice@royalenfield.com. They took prompt action in case of my complaints.
  (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 20:44   #3222
BHPian

Trouble engaging 2nd gear - upshift or downshift

Suddenly experiencing difficulty engaging 2nd gear while up-shifting or down-shifting. Getting krrrr krrr sound. Hope the situation is not bad.
Any thoughts?

Taking it to service center (in Coimbatore) tomorrow.
Old 23rd August 2013, 12:37   #3223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmenon View Post
my RE DS500 had some kind of paint bubbling on the left hand side of the petrol tank and this was pointed out to the sales guys, these guys tell that the company will be doing a re-paint job on the same rather than getting a replacement tank. Should i escalate the issue with the higher officials at RE or should go ahead with the re-paint job. Need your suggestions on the same, and if i have to escalate it to the higher officials can some one provide me the point of contact too.
Hi PS, DO NOT settle for the repaint drama. If your DS is under warranty, I do not see any issue in getting it replaced. I had mine polished (the paint is supposed to be matte) by the guys at service centre at the time of delivery, did a bit of wiggle and got it replaced.

Regards
Bugs.,
Old 24th August 2013, 23:51   #3224

Re: Trouble engaging 2nd gear - upshift or downshift

Having a similar issue while shifting gears from neutral to first.
Old 26th August 2013, 10:26   #3225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathmp View Post
Hi PS, DO NOT settle for the repaint drama. If your DS is under warranty, I do not see any issue in getting it replaced. I had mine polished (the paint is supposed to be matte) by the guys at service centre at the time of delivery, did a bit of wiggle and got it replaced.

Regards
Bugs.,
sure, the service guys at St Mary's cochin seems to be understanding and helpful but for this issue they seems to be taking a "we will see it later" kind of an attitude. was busy with a few things last week, need to drop a mail to the CSS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks