Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2013, 15:50   #3181
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishw View Post
Thanks ebonho for the post. Nice to actually see the military green classics (are they classics with the single long seat?). And the yellow ones for the police are a r[COLOR=black][FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']evelation[/FONT][/COLOR]!

Cheers,
Manish
This photograph is from circa 2004. The bikes are all Standard 350 Bullets - with the original British vintage CI engines and 4 speed gear boxes.

As you know, sadly, these have now been discontinued. Like the telegraph, all we have now are those that are already on the road.

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd July 2013 at 15:53.
Old 23rd July 2013, 19:42   #3182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
This photograph is from circa 2004. The bikes are all Standard 350 Bullets - with the original British vintage CI engines and 4 speed gear boxes.

As you know, sadly, these have now been discontinued. Like the telegraph, all we have now are those that are already on the road.
Thanks for the info ebonho! Did have the inkling that they must be Standard ones looking at the seats and the other bikes in the background.

Agree about the loss of the old CI engines, but the excitement that the classic series has brought is welcome CI or non-CI :-)

Cheers,
Manish
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:56   #3183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader View Post
Can anybody throw some light on exhaust heat wraps on a RE 500 Classic (EFI); i did some reading and i heard issues like engine overheating, mis-balanced fuel/air mixture, EFI issues, rust etc.

Would experts in this forum advise a heat wrap on these motorcycles? not till the end though; but from the engine outlet point till the silencer. Pros and Cons would be helpful.

I am planning on installing a heat protective sticker under the gas tank as well; just to bring down a few degrees lower. I even have some wild ideas of heat wrapping the entire gas tank and the air box

But I fear that i might screw-up the looks of my Desert Storm.

Cheers
i don't think you should worry much about the heat in CL500 and as far as the heat wrap is concerned, its just an cosmetic addition to your bike which in my opinion is not worth its price.. rest you can decide.
Old 5th August 2013, 09:14   #3184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
My sob story continues......

That day when the mechanic delivered my bullet after charging the battery and changing the sparkplug ( supposedly). I had tested the bike by starting and switching it off a few times and gave him the money.
hi there, just my two cents since my bike was behaving in the same manner. my suggestion is to check the battery -starter relay - plugs in this manner . generally if you dont use it much in the same manner that i dont you would end up having this problem. i got the battery charged and the plugs replaced and now its working like new

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th August 2013 at 10:37. Reason: Please dont quote entire post for short reply. Btw, thanks my problem is resolved
Old 5th August 2013, 10:04   #3185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijit 2284 View Post
hi there, just my two cents since my bike was behaving in the same manner. my suggestion is to check the battery -starter relay - plugs in this manner . generally if you dont use it much in the same manner that i dont you would end up having this problem. i got the battery charged and the plugs replaced and now its working like new
I believe Mobike's issue was long resolved.
Either case, even my new DS had the same issue just 2 weeks back and was also due for 1st service. Service guys diagnosed that the battery voltage was low (<10v) for the starter motor and hence gave me an interim temp battery. The headlamp and horn works fine with low voltage but not the starter motor.

I am yet to get the original battery after a full recharge and I hope it has resolved the issue. But the original suspect was the relay.

My new problem is there are quite a few misfires and engine turns off when decelerating. Nothing was noticed during the ECU analysis.
Old 5th August 2013, 10:14   #3186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
I believe Mobike's issue was long resolved.
==========
My new problem is there are quite a few misfires and engine turns off when decelerating. Nothing was noticed during the ECU analysis.
Try cleaning the Fuel Injector, there may be a problem with that. I too had the same problem and once the injector was cleaned, by bike is back to normal.
Old 5th August 2013, 10:15   #3187
BHPian

with regards to ECU analysis same here. they did not notice any problems at all . does anyone have a idea whether RE uses the same battery for 350/500 or is this just a case of bad QA for relays?
Old 5th August 2013, 10:23   #3188
BHPian

Quote:
with regards to ECU analysis same here. they did not notice any problems at all . does anyone have a idea whether RE uses the same battery for 350/500 or is this just a case of bad QA for relays?

350 / 500 both have same battery 12v 14 Ah
Old 5th August 2013, 10:32   #3189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit View Post
350 / 500 both have same battery 12v 14 Ah
shoudnt the 500 have more amperage to deal with a bigger engine cranking need ? or is RE being generous and giving 350 owners a better deal . i feel its a case of too less battery power especially for guys like me who dont use the bike on a day to day basis
Old 5th August 2013, 11:04   #3190
BHPian

Quote:
shoudnt the 500 have more amperage to deal with a bigger engine cranking need ? or is RE being generous and giving 350 owners a better deal . i feel its a case of too less battery power especially for guys like me who dont use the bike on a day to day basis
i recently got my bike's battery changed to tektronix service free 16 Ah battery and its far better to RE's stock Exide batteries.
Old 8th August 2013, 15:33   #3191
BHPian

Full length seat for CL500

Hi,
I am planning to switch to a full length seat on CL500 (like that of Electra model). From my observation, I need to have the mudguard stays changed to ones that have clamps at the back. Other than this, is there any other modification required? Also, would the stays be avaialble as a RE spare?

Primary reason for this modification is that with the currrent seat, it hurts when on long rides and I have heard that the full length seat is more comfortable. Of course, I also have the option of looking at the "perfect" seat modification on the current arrangement.

It would be great if someone who has tried the full length seat option share their experiences.

Regards,
Girish.
Old 8th August 2013, 17:08   #3192
BHPian

I have a strange and to me, baffling problem. 2 weeks back, I had an accident with a car against my TB500. The bike and luck saved me.

Got the front wheel spokes tightened at the service centre. But the bike was pulling to the right slightly and a constant wobbling past 40kph gave ache to my right elbow. Also the vibrations were a lot more than before.

The accident repairs and second servicing coincided on the same day.

To rectify the same, the dealer service centre did a tyre "palti" today. I understood that the tyres were mounted in the wrong directions. well.

Took a test ride and from 60 to zero, tyres squealing, arrow straight stopping. Vibes gone, all seemed perfect.

At my office parking, I noticed that they mounted the rear tyre in the wrong direction. Called the Service Manager and he says MRF has suggested this. If wobbling or instability is reported and all else is fine, remount the rear tyre in the wrong direction.

It seems to work, but I am terrified about aqua planing and also worried about the angled seam being stressed in the weaker direction while accelerating.

Short life is also nag.

Please advise. Does MRF really give such suggestions? It looks like a case for a recall then.
Old 8th August 2013, 17:47   #3193
Senior - BHPian

Are your tyres marked with an arrow? if not they are not directional tyres and they will not impact wear, tear or any performance

Even the directional tyres impact snow or aquaplaning. More so on reducing mildly the chances of aqua planing. Even aquaplaning has too many variables to work and you to be extremely lucky or foolish to get yourself in such a situation.

Having said that the tyre direction should not be a problem for it will not impact the life of the tyre by any means and the chances is comparatively only reduced(minimal that as well) and reduced as in impacting the complete performance.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 18:26   #3194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Are your tyres marked with an arrow? if not they are not directional tyres and they will not impact wear, tear or any performance

Even the directional tyres impact snow or aquaplaning. More so on reducing mildly the chances of aqua planing. Even aquaplaning has too many variables to work and you to be extremely lucky or foolish to get yourself in such a situation.

Having said that the tyre direction should not be a problem for it will not impact the life of the tyre by any means and the chances is comparatively only reduced(minimal that as well) and reduced as in impacting the complete performance.
Many thanks for the note friend. Yes there are directional arrows on the side walls. But since you say it is not the deciding factor for any of my fears, I would prefer the smoother and steadier ride quality as against the tyre orientation.

Still I would like to hear from MRF on this one. Why in the world should such an advise be need to be given, beats me.

Next change would be Michelin
Old 10th August 2013, 18:58   #3195
BHPian

Hi guys, I need some experts' advice. Planning to buy a bullet next month. Cannot decide between Electra and Classic 350. Both will be available for delivery in mid Sept in Nagpur. Earlier choice was 500 Chrome, but it will be available by end Nov or early Dec. Cant wait till then. The bull will be used only occasionally, mainly during week-end. Sort of long cherished dream of the past 20 years which could not be fulfilled due to various issues. Please advice which one will be better from maintenance point of view. Be it car or bike, I am averse to go to service station frequently. Price, FE, cost of ownership are not factors. Also, please advise on the process of PDI. Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks