Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2013, 14:13   #3061
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
It may not be a sprag failure. I reported a similar sound when attempting to start my bike quite a few pages back. It was suggested there was an issue with my sprag. At the end, it was just a weak battery.
I called the service manager of my RE workshop this morning. I explained to him the Kharrr ( grating noise) when i was thumbing the ES button.

He immediately said its the battery which could have lost charge. He told me, get it charged and see if bike starts. In the event, battery is busted for good, a new one will cost Rs.2600

Seems like a problem similar to yours. What did you do to correct the weak battery? Charge or Replace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Karthik confirms that the RD ECU does retard the timing at startup. Makes starting easier, reduces load on the starting system.
Yes, I noted and reported too that after the RD ECU installation, the bike starts a bit slower than usual.

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd May 2013 at 14:14.
Old 2nd May 2013, 14:48   #3062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Seems like a problem similar to yours. What did you do to correct the weak battery? Charge or Replace?
I just charged it with my Battery Tender and it came back to normal (although the battery's charge dropping in the first place was an indication of an issue with my charging system)

Regarding your starting issues, my recommendation would be this sequence:
1. Attempt charge.
2. If the charge doesn't work: Attempt start with another person's battery (can probably get this done in the service station where there will be many batteries of the correct rating). If this works, then your own battery is defective. Replace battery.
3. If the other person's battery doesn't work either, then go down the sprag clutch route.
GreaseMonk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 18:13   #3063
Distinguished - BHPian

I asked my friendly neighbourhood mechanic to take the bike from my home, get the battery charged and see if it works

He took the bike at 10am and returned at 4pm. It works now like a charm. Thank god its not a sprag clutch issue

They charged for 4 hours or so and mentioned replaced a spark plug too.

Since i was busy i didnt check the bike except for starting the bike a few times and paid the Rs.200 they asked

Can they recharge a battery and replace the spark plug in 200 bucks?
Old 4th May 2013, 01:53   #3064
BHPian

Quote:
I asked my friendly neighbourhood mechanic to take the bike from my home, get the battery charged and see if it works

He took the bike at 10am and returned at 4pm. It works now like a charm. Thank god its not a sprag clutch issue

They charged for 4 hours or so and mentioned replaced a spark plug too.

Since i was busy i didnt check the bike except for starting the bike a few times and paid the Rs.200 they asked

Can they recharge a battery and replace the spark plug in 200 bucks?
Primary Plug is Bosch Platinum Plus WR8DP and retails more than Rs 200 and is not very easily available in the market, Secondary plug is UR6DC and falls below price of Rs 100. Plugs failing so early is also unlikely. Please check the plugs that are installed in your bike and get them replaced with right ones if some different plug has been used as replacement by your mechanic.

Make sure that you dont break either of the plugs by over-tightening them when putting them back. You can also check the primary plug without removing it by looking into the plug cavity and checking if you can see "platinum/platinum plus" written over it, but it would be better to remove both the plugs to check them.

Also, these plugs(specially platinum plugs) don't require any cleaning or adjustment, so it is a good idea to avoid getting them removed and reinstalled again and again just for cleaning purpose.

Chances that any plug was replaced is slim but you can check anyways. I prefer to get all work on my bike carried in front of my eyes and even RE workshops in my city don't stop me from doing the same. Cheers!

Last edited by iron.head : 4th May 2013 at 01:54.
iron.head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 08:41   #3065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
Chances that any plug was replaced is slim but you can check anyways. I prefer to get all work on my bike carried in front of my eyes and even RE workshops in my city don't stop me from doing the same. Cheers!
Thanks, When I made a cursory glance towards the spark plug cavity could see the spark plug was white in color with some dark smudges which made a bit suspicious that after all it may not really be a new one

Anyways, will get it checked by the RE folks and replace if necessary
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 09:51   #3066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
For one, an EFI Bullet does not fire or feel like a Bullet. My Classic 500 could most charitably be described as a bigger more powerful slightly more vibratory Karizma.
1) What you probably mean is that it does not feel like the CI engine. Converting from EFI to carb would usually make the bike less responsive and a bit sluggish.
2) Have you tried aftermarket ECUs like the one from Race Dynamics. It has different settings and understand the idle speed is much lower than the stock.
3) I agree the mapping on the stock ECU is far from satisfactory at high altitudes.

I do not think RE has acknowledged carb to be better than EFI by launching the Bullet 500 carb version. Their view must have been to lower the cost and keep it technically a bit closer to the original Bullet (though not much closer).
Old 7th May 2013, 11:34   #3067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkenkare View Post
1) What you probably mean is that it does not feel like the CI engine. Converting from EFI to carb would usually make the bike less responsive and a bit sluggish.
My LB500 with a VM28, UNI filter, and megaphone, can and did outsprint all the newer FI Bullets. There was nothing less responsive or sluggish about her, as there is nothing less responsive or sluggish about my even older standard 500, though she is now a bit down on compression and takes some time to start growling.

If I wanted to ride a bike with all these do-da's and buzzy idles, I would simply buy a better more modern bike (which I have).

But when I want to ride a Bullet, which I always do and always will want to, because its something that gets into your blood, then I want to be riding a real Bullet.

Not just one that looks like one and made by the same company.
Old 7th May 2013, 16:27   #3068
Distinguished - BHPian

My sob story continues......

That day when the mechanic delivered my bullet after charging the battery and changing the sparkplug ( supposedly). I had tested the bike by starting and switching it off a few times and gave him the money.

Now I didnt get a chance to ride the bike for a day or two

I tried starting the bike yesterday. It's back to same situation.

When I thumb the start button. Same Khatt or grrr noise and wont fire up

Since iam terribly busy at work and not having the patience to push the bike to nearest mechanic. It's still lying unattended at home

Reckon will have to take it to RE service center to check the issue. I plan to do this first :-

1. Replace RD ECU with stock ECU. See if this works

2. If that doesnt work. Then check the battery again. Most probably the battery has conked off for good. But, my question can a battery conk off this early? ( 6500kms and 16 months?)

3. Have no clue, what other things may have gone wrong. Hope its not that dreaded Sprag clutch issue

Whatever, Iam looking at wasting a whole day and spending 2.5K-3K at getting it back in original order
Old 7th May 2013, 18:15   #3069
BHPian

Quote:
My sob story continues......

That day when the mechanic delivered my bullet after charging the battery and changing the sparkplug ( supposedly). I had tested the bike by starting and switching it off a few times and gave him the money.

Now I didnt get a chance to ride the bike for a day or two

I tried starting the bike yesterday. It's back to same situation.

When I thumb the start button. Same Khatt or grrr noise and wont fire up
Your issue i suppose is with battery. sprag clutch failure will give u loud thud sound when using ES or kick start. the grrrrrrr sound and nothing happens symptoms are of battery not giving enough power to start the bike. i had faced the similar situation. so chill its not sprag failure.

You are talking about battery conking off at 16k kms and 16 months. mine first one died at 7k kms or 6 months. second one died at 12 k kms or 5 months. first time it was replaced under warranty and second time i had to pay. they we not ready to accept. it was around 3.4 k cost. and its some speical battery by name fihamm

Now with new battery my bike is running just fine. but i have a strange problem. around battery cover there is a white deposits formed over period of time. and my battery metal cover has started rusting. this is rusting so badly rusting has started from the front now. nothing can be done. with RE i have learnt not to take it to service center but live with the bike and the problem. i'm fed up taking my bike multiple times over 18 months of ownership and finally problem not getting solved.

I even thought of contacting lawyer and suing RE. but i feel its just waste of time.

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th May 2013 at 08:31. Reason: Please dont quote a large post. Also do avoid quoting emoticons. Thanks
Endofdayz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 21:42   #3070
BHPian

I have a 2012 DS run just over 11k kms needed a brand new battery, a new Dyno, several idling resets, several drum-brake pads, drum-brake springs, inside drum lathe work and several trips to the Brand Store Service center who frown on seeing me....i am talking about a bike which never crossed 90kmph, never revved unnecessarily and had the best run-in procedure; this bike never ever tasted anything other than Shell Normal and Shell Super, Motul Chain cleaners / lubricants, 3M Petrol additive and what not!!

I had a break-down recently in Bangalore, the motorcycle refused to start in the middle of the busy road; have called up 24X7 support and Manjunatha Bullet Garage have responded to my call and have towed by bike to their garage.

They have taken 3 full days to diagnose the problem, drained my fully synthetic motul oil, they have re-filled the bike with Motul semi-synthetic oil stating that is the only recommended oil grade as per RE, replaced my battery, Dyno unit, labour, etc; finally i had to pay 7.5k to get my motorcycle back. The most irritating thing was, they have even stolen my petrol and when asked they told me that they used us to washing my bike parts; 6 liters of petrol to fumigate my bike!!

With this experience, i sometimes feel I made the wrong choice.

Cheers
Old 8th May 2013, 00:59   #3071
Distinguished - BHPian

mobike: Your battery needs to be replaced.
Yes, a battery can develop internal problems which will cause it not to hold a charge. This can happen at any time but it is more likely to happen after the battery is a year or more old.

Endofdayz: Your batterys caustic battery acid is attack your bikes metal parts.
This can be due to a leak or from a loose battery cap or defective battery cap gasket.

You need to obtain some "baking soda" (Sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3), ( not baking powder ).
Mix a spoonful of the baking soda with some water and brush it onto the battery terminals and all areas around the battery. If you have the correct powder it will cause a lot of bubbling as it neutralizes the acid. The gas being released is carbon dioxide so it is harmless.
Several applications is recommended. If, after several applications no bubbling occurs, all of the acid is neutralized.
Wash off the mix with plain water after it stops bubbling and allow it to dry.

The steel parts will need to be coated with a light coating of oil to stop further rusting.

I don't know if "corn syrup" is available in India but if it is it can seal the joint where the terminals go thru the battery case into the inside.
Corn syrup is used as a sweetning for baking cakes, cookies, fruit pies and making candy in the US. It is available in "light" (which is water colored) or dark (which is very dark brown). Dark works best for this.
If a small amount is applied to the joint between the metal terminals and the battery case it will become very thick and tar-like sealing the joint.
Do not get it on the area of the metal terminals where the wires attach.

A coating of a RTV Silicone rubber can also be used to seal the leak.

Invader: I can't say for sure but my gut feeling is that you've "been tooken".
There is no way a motorcycle of any brand could have worn out drum (or disk) brake pads in 11k kms unless it was being raced and unless one of the brake springs broke there is absolutely no reason to replace them.

As for changing your oil, there is no way they could have known you were using full synthetic unless you told them.
As for the semi-synthetic oil, there is nothing it has or can do that the fully synthetic oil doesn't also have and can do better.

If they are doing these changes for free I suppose you can't complain but if they are charging you for it, it's time to look for a new RE dealers shop.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 08:41   #3072
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
You are talking about battery conking off at 16k kms and 16 months.
You misread my previous post. I did only 6500kms on my bullet till now in last 16 months.

Anyways, why cant they make better components like other manafacturer is what beats me. I also own a Pulsar 150 which is 8 years old and has done only 27000kms and battery is still running fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader View Post
I have a 2012 DS run just over 11k kms needed a brand new battery, a new Dyno, several idling resets, several drum-brake pads, drum-brake springs, inside drum lathe work and several trips to the Brand Store Service center who frown on seeing me
That's one hell of an experience. I would have sold my bike immediately if i had gone through such hellish experience. I too agree with Arizona Jim, you may have been passed on a lemon.

Only issue i have faced with my bullet is around 4 punctures in last 6500kms and 2 tubes replaced

Each time it got punctured, I thought of selling off the bike but, when I get the bike in good order all those ordeals simply vanish as the pleasure of riding a bullet supercedes these issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
mobike: Your battery needs to be replaced.
Yes, a battery can develop internal problems which will cause it not to hold a charge. This can happen at any time but it is more likely to happen after the battery is a year or more old.
Thanks AJ, I reckon this is most probably the issue.

I spoke to Purshuttom ( My Friendly RE Service Manager), he asked me to call today morning and if will see if he can arrange someone to come home for service. If that happens, it will be a miracle and will treat him larger than god
Old 8th May 2013, 09:24   #3073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader View Post
I had a break-down recently in Bangalore, the motorcycle refused to start in the middle of the busy road; have called up 24X7 support and Manjunatha Bullet Garage have responded to my call and have towed by bike to their garage.

They have taken 3 full days to diagnose the problem, drained my fully synthetic motul oil, they have re-filled the bike with Motul semi-synthetic oil stating that is the only recommended oil grade as per RE, replaced my battery,
With this experience, i sometimes feel I made the wrong choice.

Cheers
Invader,

Even i have DS and had hell of a experience. my 18 months of experience. 30 to 40 visits to service center. and the problem reported from Day 1 still exist. sometimes i have a feeling maintaining my DS is costly affair then my swift. service charges average is 2.5 to 3k. every 3k kms i change the engine oil.

I want suggestion from forum.
if i want to go legal route, is it possible? here are list of components changed which i remember:

1. Meter replaced 3 times.
2. throttle replaced 2 times
3. EFI replaced.
4. timing gear replaced.
5. engine had crank rod noise. replaced with all those lathe work.
6. Meter cable, meter wheel worm etc replaced - Dont remember how many times.

i dont remember others.

few scratches - complimentary from RE.

Problems solved - not at all.
Old 8th May 2013, 12:39   #3074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
My LB500 with a VM28, UNI filter, and megaphone, can and did outsprint all the newer FI Bullets. There was nothing less responsive or sluggish about her, as there is nothing less responsive or sluggish about my even older standard 500, though she is now a bit down on compression and takes some time to start growling.
With similar filter and exhaust mods and an aftermarket ECU to match would give even better pickup on an EFI.
Old 8th May 2013, 12:55   #3075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkenkare View Post
With similar filter and exhaust mods and an aftermarket ECU to match would give even better pickup on an EFI.
With half the money you spend on an ECU upgrade, I would put a 32-34 mm TM series flatslide and leave your EFI bike gasping in the distance.

What's more, from what I hear and recall, you can't even sprocket the new Bullets because of the casing clearances.

Cast iron engined Bullets on CB point ignitions have been modded to go up to and beyond 100 mph on the speed gun. Not just the 500s, but the 350s as well. And decades ago at that.

Last edited by GTO : 9th May 2013 at 18:09. Reason: Please avoid posting any content about illegal speeds on public roads. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks