Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2013, 14:31   #2971
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

What is average life of a C5 battery with 95% ES?
Old 15th February 2013, 22:55   #2972
BHPian

My OEM battery lasted 33 months. However I doubt if the replacement will last that long. Both are Exide's top models in 14 amps.
Old 16th February 2013, 14:00   #2973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My OEM battery lasted 33 months. However I doubt if the replacement will last that long. Both are Exide's top models in 14 amps.
Mine is march 2010 model. Still running on OEM battery, but now it feels weak. Guess its done its job well.

Are there any other replacement options apart from the excide, which is a direct fit. Something in maintenance free type?
Old 26th February 2013, 10:18   #2974
Senior - BHPian

My friend is looking to change the seat of his Desert Storm. He want to have a cycle type \ saddle type unsprung seat.
He checked out the 'Perfect' seat at Art of Motorcycles, but he was not impressed with it. Since he is not really tall, he is looking at reducing the seat height also.

Can gurus here let me know which is the best place to go for custom made seats in Bangalore?
Old 26th February 2013, 10:38   #2975
BHPian

Hi theexperthand,

What are your friend's reason for modifying the seat? Is it only to reduce the saddle height? Is he planning to replace the stock seat OR modify the stock seat - by means of removing some foam?

I have gor the seat modified for my STD UCE 350; will try posting pictures over the weekend.

Few tips (in case he wants to go for seat modification) -
1. Ensure that you do not remove too much foam. There will be a thin layer of foam added. Make sure that this new foam is not too hard neither too soft.
2. The reduction is saddle height will affect the overall geometry and riding position as well. You need to probably either adjust the position of the handle bar OR replace the handlebar.
In my case I tried the RD350 bar, but went back to stock bar (with slightly lowered). Reason - Back pain.
3. Advantage of the lowered saddle - The center of gravity will be a tad lower. It is difficult to quantify on this part, but I feel the riding position has improved.

Cheers and happy thumping!
bulletboy76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 14:42   #2976

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletboy76 View Post

I have gor the seat modified for my STD UCE 350; will try posting pictures over the weekend.
====================
Thanks for the useful information bulletboy!

I am planning to do something similar to my DS as well for 2 reasons.

1. I am on the shorter side at just about 5 5" and would love to have a lower seat for the obvious advantages.
2. My wife feels that the rear seat is very uncomfortable with very little back support. Also she feels the thigh support is not adequate and gets unmanageable on long rides.

However i have a few concerns on the lines that you have touched upon already. Modification of seat height will alter the CG of the bike. So this needs to be done by an expert ensuring that the CG is only lowered and not moved sideways, else balance will be adversely effected.

And the handle reach will be affected too as you mentioned!

Pics of your modified seat please!

Do you (or other knowledgeable people on this forum) know where i can get this done in Hyderabad?

Cheers,
Aditya
Old 26th February 2013, 16:08   #2977
BHPian

Hi Motofreak,

Here are couple of snaps of my Bullet. I hope you can see the modified seat clearly in this. I will try uploading a few more snaps later.

I think with the modification, the saddle height is reduced at least by 1 - 1.5 inches.

Regarding your doubts on change of center of gravity - I think that is not too much to be worried about as long as a uniform layer of the foam is removed.

One more recommendation (based on personal experience) - for the handlebar - If you are not too tall, do not opt for the wider ones like RD350 types.

Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_3956.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_3968.jpg  

bulletboy76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 17:41   #2978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi theexperthand,

What are your friend's reason for modifying the seat? Is it only to reduce the saddle height? Is he planning to replace the stock seat OR modify the stock seat - by means of removing some foam?

Few tips (in case he wants to go for seat modification) -
1. Ensure that you do not remove too much foam. There will be a thin layer of foam added. Make sure that this new foam is not too hard neither too soft.
2. The reduction is saddle height will affect the overall geometry and riding position as well. You need to probably either adjust the position of the handle bar OR replace the handlebar.
In my case I tried the RD350 bar, but went back to stock bar (with slightly lowered). Reason - Back pain.
3. Advantage of the lowered saddle - The center of gravity will be a tad lower. It is difficult to quantify on this part, but I feel the riding position has improved.

Thank you for the pointers and the snaps.

He wants to remove the OE seats and put new, custom made seats which do not have the springs. He is about 5'5, and he is not really comfortable on the OE seat, that is why we plan to fit a lowered custom made seat.
HE does not want a single seat, he want to have the cycle seat kind seat, but without springs (almost like the REZ – 535 model in this page http://www.royalenfieldzone.com/seats.asp)
We will go for a modified handle bar once he gets the seat done. But the million dollar question is – where to get this done at Bangalore.
Old 27th February 2013, 15:51   #2979

Quote:
Hi Motofreak,

Here are couple of snaps of my Bullet. I hope you can see the modified seat clearly in this. I will try uploading a few more snaps later.

I think with the modification, the saddle height is reduced at least by 1 - 1.5 inches.

Regarding your doubts on change of center of gravity - I think that is not too much to be worried about as long as a uniform layer of the foam is removed.

One more recommendation (based on personal experience) - for the handlebar - If you are not too tall, do not opt for the wider ones like RD350 types.

Looks majestic! The new seat with the metal buttons adds to the retro look. Thanks for sharing man!

Do you know where i can get such a modification (height reduction with harder foam) done in Hyderabad?
Old 4th March 2013, 17:42   #2980
BHPian

My battery woes seem to know no end. The bike behaved perfectly on a ride from Bangalore to Goa and then onward to Bombay (a distance of 1200kms approximately), but now it seems to be having the usual discharge problems I have been facing all this while.

One of the mechanics I met here in Bangalore told me I could solve the problem by installing a 'Dynamo' to generate the required initial spark at a cost of Rs.12000. This would then solve all my woes as the battery wouldn't be needed to get the bike started (albeit only the kick starter will work). He said he has done this modification for other Classic 500 owners and the only downside is that the right side engine cover comes out a bit more as the dynamo sits next/over the alternator.

Has anyone else seen or performed this modification on their bike?
Old 4th March 2013, 21:34   #2981
BHPian

@adises, dynamo setup? what ever it is, is really interesting. i for never knew of any thing which could do away with battery for ignition on Tci fired models, without changing the system altogether. Could you please check with the mech himself for details, who knows he may be having some pics to show too i hope
Old 4th March 2013, 21:51   #2982
BHPian

Well the word 'Dynamo' was actually from my own understanding since I don't speak Kannada and he didn't speak English/Hindi. The gist of the conversation was that the modification provides the initial electricity required for the plugs to spark and start the bike. I assure you I am equally skeptical, since the Classic also needs power for the fuel pump to start - I'm hoping that someone else here has heard of this solution and could shed some light.

I'll try and get a better explanation from him when I next pass by his garage, since my bike is now in Bombay I didn't bother going back for more details.

Last edited by adises : 4th March 2013 at 21:52.
Old 5th March 2013, 02:51   #2983
Distinguished - BHPian

Do ask for more details, but the only device I know of that would not need any electrical power beyond itself for making a spark is a magneto.

Magneto's were one of the earliest forms of creating a spark and most of them were considered obsolete back in the 1950's having been replaced by the more reliable battery/points/ignition coil.

As you mentioned needing a battery for the fuel pump, I assume your RE is fuel injected. If so, you are absolutely correct. Without a battery, your fuel injector and the computer that controls it will not work.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 15:28   #2984
Senior - BHPian

RE seems working on new versions/ variants of the C500, as Motoroids have spied these bikes being tested by ARAI in Pune. Any guess of what the change (s) could be? it could the O2 sensor for the FI (akin to export models) in the Indian models.

Link to their report:

http://motoroids.com/news/royal-enfi...e-the-changes/

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-royalenfieldclassic500spypic1024x771.jpg

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-royalenfieldclassic500spypic21024x771.jpg

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-royalenfieldclassic500spypic31024x771.jpg

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-royalenfieldclassic500spypic41024x771.jpg

Unfortunately these government officials don't mind being little safe (no safety gear used while riding the steeds ).

Last edited by CARDEEP : 9th March 2013 at 15:31.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 12:31   #2985
Senior - BHPian

Coming from a Zma,i have found the instrumentation in the CL5 extremely lacking,not even a trip meter or a clock,installed this today,working good for now,just need a DIY to properly secure the sensors.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-417689_341770825923385_666673713_n.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks