Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2012, 13:11   #2941
BHPian

Hole in the silencer pipe

Hi,

I just returned from a ride to North and Coastal Karnataka y'day. Half down the ride, about 400kms from Bangalore, I noticed that the sound was on the higher side and took it a mechanic in the next big town. The mechanic noticed a "hole" in the silencer bend (at a place which is almost in front of the engine) and said it needs to be welded, but asked me to take permission from RE folks as the Bull is still under warranty (7months, 5000+ kms at the time of the incident). RE folks first wanted me to bring it to Bangalore or to the next immediate dealership. The nearest one about 70kms away didn't had the
spare and the next one (150kms away) was too far and also I didn't wanted to risk it as I was headed deep inside western ghats. So, the RE folks agreed to get it welded and this morning I got it replaced in Bangalore. I've the following questions:

1. Why does this problem of a "hole" in the silencer pipe happens?

2. The mechanic also noticed a crack in the 2nd half of the silencer pipe (excuse my lack of technical terms. The silencer pipe comes in 2 parts. The first one is right from the engine and is a smaller one. The second one is the one which is horizontal to the ground. I noticed a hole in the first part and a crack in the 2nd one. RE replaced both). My brother and I got our C500s on the same day and we noticed the crack in his bike too. Has anyone noticed this?

3. As much as I love the Bull, I'm getting nervous as I'm a big fan of solo rides and in places in remote and non-touristy places where even a general mechanic would be many hours away. Are there any precautions I need to take before embarking on long drives?

Thanks,

Prasad
Old 31st December 2012, 13:30   #2942
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
My 2011 USA version of the fuel injected 500 came with a Bosch WR7 DDC4 spark plug installed and I found the engine would often misfire, even when just motoring along at a steady speed.

I replaced the Bosch spark plug with a NGK BPR6ES.
All misfires went away and after putting over 8000 miles (12,880 km) on the NGK sparkplug it is still in excellent condition.
But your bike must be having the lamda sensor isnt it ?
Old 31st December 2012, 14:07   #2943
BHPian

Re: Hole in the silencer pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Hi,

I just returned from a ride to North and Coastal Karnataka y'day. Half down the ride, about 400kms from Bangalore, I noticed that the sound was on the higher side and took it a mechanic in the next big town. The mechanic noticed a "hole" in the silencer bend (at a place which is almost in front of the engine) and said it needs to be welded, but asked me to take permission from RE folks as the Bull is still under warranty (7months, 5000+ kms at the time of the incident). RE folks first wanted me to bring it to Bangalore or to the next immediate dealership. The nearest one about 70kms away didn't had the

2. The mechanic also noticed a crack in the 2nd half of the silencer pipe (excuse my lack of technical terms. The silencer pipe comes in 2 parts. The first one is right from the engine and is a smaller one. The second one is the one which is horizontal to the ground. I noticed a hole in the first part and a crack in the 2nd one. RE replaced both). My brother and I got our C500s on the same day and we noticed the crack in his bike too. Has anyone noticed this?
Hi!

Can you please post pics of the locations where you saw the crack?
Old 31st December 2012, 14:09   #2944
BHPian

Re: Hole in the silencer pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
Hi!

Can you please post pics of the locations where you saw the crack?
Ah! I should have taken a snap before getting it replaced. Will do it now in the corrected one and mark it.

Prasad
Old 1st January 2013, 01:15   #2945
Senior - BHPian

Yes anandkenkare.
My RE has the lambda sensor but the original Bosch sparkplug still caused mis-fires which was solved by replacing it with the NGK.

Because of the lambda sensor (oxygen sensor) on my bike I cannot give a personal experience that would be applicable to your motorcycle except to say that as I understand it, the fuel mixture is set by the temperature sensor which is measuring the oil temperature. It is located just under the fuel injector body and screwed into a port in the cylinder.
I believe this is true for both of our machines.

If your curious, when your RE starts mis-firing you might stop and remove your spark plug. If the center insulator is blackened with carbon it indicates a rich air/fuel mixture and may be due to a faulty temperature sensor or a dirty air filter (or both).
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 19:30   #2946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Yes anandkenkare.
My RE has the lambda sensor but the original Bosch sparkplug still caused mis-fires which was solved by replacing it with the NGK.

Because of the lambda sensor (oxygen sensor) on my bike I cannot give a personal experience that would be applicable to your motorcycle except to say that as I understand it, the fuel mixture is set by the temperature sensor which is measuring the oil temperature. It is located just under the fuel injector body and screwed into a port in the cylinder.
I believe this is true for both of our machines.

If your curious, when your RE starts mis-firing you might stop and remove your spark plug. If the center insulator is blackened with carbon it indicates a rich air/fuel mixture and may be due to a faulty temperature sensor or a dirty air filter (or both).
Thanks ArizonaJim. I got the air filter cleaned today with air pressure and it was really dirty. Shall check on performance next time I head towards the mountains.
Old 1st January 2013, 19:31   #2947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
No change of tank required. We need to get an attachment made to fit the regular fuel tap as shown in the pic.

Bike feels like a machismo now. Idles much low. Just got it last night, so yet to test it out properly. felt a slight drop in low end torque, as i am on the 115 main jet. Will have explore with different jet sizes to extract the best of power and mileage. With carb, the entire system is become simple. Feels like there is lots of scope to experiment and explore. lets see how it goes.
I am very eager to hear from you about the bike's performance with the carb. Also did you have to change the entire wiring of the bike ?
Old 2nd January 2013, 20:21   #2948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Every time I ride to places where temperatures are below 10 degrees celcius my bike starts missing a beat and misfiring. Could someone please clarify what is the relation between this behavior and the lack of a lamda sensor. Why does it misfire in cold weather ?
wiki says:

Function of a lambda probe

Lambda probes are used to reduce vehicle emissions by ensuring that engines burn their fuel efficiently and cleanly. Robert Bosch GmbH introduced the first automotive lambda probe in 1976,[1] and it was first used by Volvo and Saab in that year. The sensors were introduced in the US from about 1979, and were required on all models of cars in many countries in Europe in 1993.
By measuring the proportion of oxygen in the remaining exhaust gas, and by knowing the volume and temperature of the air entering the cylinders amongst other things, an ECU can use look-up tables to determine the amount of fuel required to burn at the stoichiometric ratio (14.7:1 air:fuel by mass for gasoline) to ensure complete combustion.

The main aim of the Lembda is to help the engine run as efficiently as possible. Removing it from indian version of C5 make the system one way. Its like you are taking on phone without hearing the person on the other end. Get your bike converted to good old simple carb, and then you are in control of your bike and not the ECU.

Quote:
I am very eager to hear from you about the bike's performance with the carb. Also did you have to change the entire wiring of the bike ?
The bike is been running smooth with the carb, without any hiccups. There is a very minor difference in throttle response, where the EFI scores over. Been running on 115 main jet for a week but going for a bigger jet tomorrow. Shall be able to report the difference in performance, fuel economy in some time.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-efi-diagram.jpg  

Last edited by nasirkaka : 2nd January 2013 at 20:28.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 21:41   #2949
BHPian

Does the TB500 has this O2 ( Lambda ) sensor ?
Old 3rd January 2013, 08:08   #2950
BHPian

Hi shan2129,

No, none of the UCE 500's (including TB500) in India have the lamba sensor.

Cheers and happy thumping!
bulletboy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 19:28   #2951

Just visited Soniya Motors, Bhandup, Mumbai, for the 2nd free servicing. The mechanic actually recommended that I should use Kick starts in the mornings. I am no expert, but I did remember @Randhawa's post advising ES for the first start in the mornings. When he took the bike for a test ride, he tried the Kick start like no bulleteer ever would, let alone a an authorized mechanic.

Does anyone know good places to get the bikes serviced in Mumbai(however far it may be).
Old 7th January 2013, 10:26   #2952
BHPian

Found something interesting this morning.....

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com...tor_Conversion
Old 14th January 2013, 17:13   #2953
Senior - BHPian

Classic 500 uses DIGITAL ELECTRONIC IGNITION

CLassic 350 uses TRANSISTORIZED COIL IGNITION .

What is the difference between two? what are their positives and negatives? Are both the systems prone to adv/retd the ignition timing over a period of usage? Do both the systems allows us to change / set / manipulate the ignition timing?

I was talking to someone knowledgeable regarding the popping/afterfire/misfire sound from the exhaust, and he suggested one of the reasons could be incorrect ignition timing, which may allow unburnt gases to enter the exhaust and ignite there causing the sound. Also, to harness the actual power of the engine, the ignition timing plays an important role. could the timings change in both the type over a period of time to affect performance? what tools/methods are used to check these on the bike?
Old 14th January 2013, 17:56   #2954
BHPian

@nasir,

Sir did you get a chance to use your bike. how does it feel after converting it into carb. Any gain in mileage, pickup. Are the vibrations reduced. please update as even i'm thinking of getting my bike converted into carb. I'm keen on reducing vibrations.
Old 14th January 2013, 18:21   #2955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@nasir,

Sir did you get a chance to use your bike. how does it feel after converting it into carb. Any gain in mileage, pickup. Are the vibrations reduced. please update as even i'm thinking of getting my bike converted into carb. I'm keen on reducing vibrations.
have been using the bike everyday after conversion. Feels Simplified and smooth. idles low and revs without any limiter. Last two weeks have been spent in a bit of fine tuning w.r.t jets etc.

We started with 115 main and 15 pilot for the BS 32 carb. bike felt a bit leaner. then changed to 130 main and 30 pilot. Bike became rich and was doing wheelie on hard acceleration in 1st gear. Then changed the main to 125. Still rich. Then managed to source a 17.5 pilot. Now the bike feels kind of balanced at 125 main and 17.5 pilot.
Performance wise, i feel a significant improvement in low end and mid range, compared to how it felt earlier (which was really sluggish). got a UNI foam filter directly mounted to the carb, and freed the air filter box for storage space. using upswept pipe now with free flow bent pipe. I feel the upswept is a bit restrictive for this setup. a free flow silencer could further boost power.
My speedo had conked off, so got a new one. also, with all the R&D with jets etc, did not make sense to calculate the FE. have filled the tank with the current setup, and shall report the FE once the gas hits reserve.

Aneone wanting to try and feel the carbed C5 is most welcome for a test ride. bikes is always available close to forum mall, near koramangala.

I went for carb for the simplicity it brings to the bike. it also brings options of extracting either performance or mileage from the engine based on individuals needs. I dont think carb is made any difference to the vibrations. My bike feels much smoother as, along with the conversion, i got lots of other parts replaced, like both the wheel bearing, t-cone bearing, new cables, new pads and liner, fresh engine oil, SA bush, etc. All this would have contributed as well.
nasirkaka is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks