Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:32   #2851
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
RE recommends to change oil and oil filter first at 500 and then every 6k kms. The thing is, that RE still uses age-old manufacturing techniques and the engines are not as finished as those of other modern bikes. I got my C5 in January this year and found the engine and gear-shifts to be very coarse until I got oil changed at 350. Metallic abrasive particles help to polish the engine but multiple oil changes will ensure that any harmful metallic particles do not wear the engine. This way it might take a little longer to run-in but will result in a smoother engine in the end. The oil filter is cheap enough so get it changed too with every oil change.
Iron, cool, thanks for details. I have downloaded USE 500 service manual and started reading it as I want to be prepared to own it. now I am really excited for delivery.

Any inputs on silencer thing?

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:35   #2852
BHPian

Hello, I had posted this a few days back on the thread about RE Mufflers.. Am re-posting this here-This is my experience regarding the Bent, short bottle silencer in the UCE 500-

After having owned two UCE 500s (The teal Green one before and now the Chrome-black one) and installing the Company provided upswept silencer both times, I've reverted back to the long Bazooka silencer that came as o.e.

Now I'm convinced without a doubt that apart from the exhaust thump sounding muffled, for the Fuel Injected 500 models, the long o.e silencer is the Best when it comes to pulling power, acceleration and smoothness.

There's a world of difference in the performance of the bike, which you only notice when U are really going fast or are in mountain roads where the torque comes into play big time... The Upswept silencer is much louder sounding, thereby fooling a lot of owners into thinking that the bike's going faster.. It does sound much better but the actual performance goes down quite a bit and it's much harsher at higher rpms. Top speeds and pulling power in each gear also comes down quite a bit.... i think it's coz the F.I is tuned with the Long Bazooka in mind.

Also the upswept silencer makes the bike really misfire (Loud Farts!) when the throttle is closed on downhills....

All these issues manifest itself more in the hills and higher altitudes..

The 350s with the carburettor shouldn't have these problems, but I'm not sure.

Cheers.
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:50   #2853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
There's a world of difference in the performance of the bike, which you only notice when U are really going fast or are in mountain roads where the torque comes into play big time... The Upswept silencer is much louder sounding, thereby fooling a lot of owners into thinking that the bike's going faster.. It does sound much better but the actual performance goes down quite a bit and it's much harsher at higher rpms. Top speeds and pulling power in each gear also comes down quite a bit.... i think it's coz the F.I is tuned with the Long Bazooka in mind.
Agree with you to a large extent in terms of drop in performance which I too have been noticing ever since i changed the exhaust from the stock to a short bottle type on my 500cc Chrome.

Also agree that due to the loud THUMP it makes you feel your going very fast and when you glance down your at 90kmph but, the feeling you get is way above 100kmph. That is also the reason, I feel scared to go beyond 100kmph these days as it becomes too noisy and also feel that bike cannot go beyond 100kmph

Also, experience misfires whenever I let go of the throttle and sometimes it even scares me and scared my pillion quite a few times as the sound is as you said. Like a real loud FART

But, havent experienced any slowdown in pulling power in any gear. It still pulls like a locomotive train and leaves the 100cc-200cc toys way behind in a jiffy
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:50   #2854
BHPian

Quote:
... i think it's coz the F.I is tuned with the Long Bazooka in mind.

The 350s with the carburettor shouldn't have these problems, but I'm not sure.
A 350's carburettor can be tuned to enrich the mixture as the free-flow exhaust can cause lean running. But has anyone re-tuned the ECU on a 500 with the same intent? I'm pretty sure it isn't rocket science, especially since its essentially an RE anyway

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:20   #2855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There's a world of difference in the performance of the bike, which you only notice when U are really going fast or are in mountain roads where the torque comes into play big time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
But, havent experienced any slowdown in pulling power in any gear. It still pulls like a locomotive train and leaves the 100cc-200cc toys way behind in a jiffy
i have also not noticed any power pulling issue with megaphone on Cl 500
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:42   #2856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
i have also not noticed any power pulling issue with megaphone on Cl 500
Are you sure about CI or UCE because this discussion is about UCE 500 which has fuel injector and ECU?

Thanks,
Vishal.
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:45   #2857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Are you sure about CI or UCE because this discussion is about UCE 500 which has fuel injector and ECU?
Ruchir meant CL-500 and mistakenly typed CI....He rides a 500cc Desert Storm which is an UCE500
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:45   #2858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks,
Vishal.
I have a UCE 500 that is Classic Desert storm model
ruchirtnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:52   #2859
BHPian

Quote:
Ruchir meant CL-500 and mistakenly typed CI....He rides a 500cc Desert Storm which is an UCE500
Quote:
I have a UCE 500 that is Classic Desert storm model
Ok cool, so I am confused now about silencer as the up swept looks beautiful on classic, short bottle gives nice thump but it may hamper performance.

Anyone have idea if warranty will lapse or not after fitting one of the about exhaust?

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:55   #2860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok cool, so I am confused now about silencer as the up swept looks beautiful on classic, short bottle gives nice thump but it may hamper performance.

Anyone have idea if warranty will lapse or not after fitting one of the about exhaust?

Thanks,
Vishal
Vishal, It is already answered in this forum.
There is no issue with the warranty part however i took the precaution of installing the same after first service

thanks Avinash for clarifying my stance
ruchirtnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:59   #2861
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I rode my Chrome for 3000kms on stock silencer before deciding to change it. You can decide the same, use the stock silencer for a period of time and then change it either to upswept or short bottle.

Quote:
If you get a lemon, you will anyways know it in a few 1000kms so dont worry about warranty etc as even the RE service center guys approve of changing the silencer ( in an unofficially way)
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:05   #2862
BHPian

Quote:
Vishal, It is already answered in this forum.
There is no issue with the warranty part however i took the precaution of installing the same after first service

thanks Avinash for clarifying my stance
Oh ok missed that somewhere in 191 pages :P

Quote:
I rode my Chrome for 3000kms on stock silencer before deciding to change it. You can decide the same, use the stock silencer for a period of time and then change it either to upswept or short bottle.

If you get a lemon, you will anyways know it in a few 1000kms so dont worry about warranty etc as even the RE service center guys approve of changing the silencer ( in an unofficially way)
True I know that as I have went through your thread 4/5 time in last week .

Yeh I owned STD 350 (RHS) for 3 yrs and know about ASSs and guys over there, did lots of things on it but I just want be more careful about UCE 500 because of cost and hi-tech things which I still need to learn.

Thanks,
Vishal.
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:28   #2863
BHPian

@Thar4x4 @mobike008

I too like the stock exhaust on the C5 but several times I have found it hitting tarmac/stones while riding on the not so good roads in India.

I like things OEM which made me go for the upswept exhaust which comes with better sound, but like others I have also observed a loss in my C5's pulling prowess which is a significant disadvantage. Also, IMO the stock exhaust looks a bit out-of-place because of it's extended length.

Is there any other exhaust sold by RE for C5 which gives us the best of all worlds (good pulling power(means restrictive enough), ground clearance, sound and looks)???

BTW, upswpet exhaust does not come with the free flow bend pipe anymore, so it's not as free flow as it once used to be, but still robs some pulling power from the C5.

Last edited by iron.head : 22nd November 2012 at 19:31.
iron.head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 08:45   #2864
BHPian

So, im guessing the indore silencer would also rob the bike of some performance, right?
Does anyone have any experience with the indore silencer?--is it better than the upswept? how does it compare with other after-market exhausts? etc.

Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:22   #2865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield_500 View Post
So, im guessing the indore silencer would also rob the bike of some performance, right?
Does anyone have any experience with the indore silencer?--is it better than the upswept? how does it compare with other after-market exhausts? etc.

Thanks
I have no experience but it will surely rob the performance as it is full (90%) free flow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks