Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2012, 03:45   #2761
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

In my opinion there can be no justification for a leaking battery after less than one month of owning your DS.

Either the battery was defective or they installed it incorrectly before you picked up the bike and they should replace it without charging you.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 04:19   #2762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
In my opinion there can be no justification for a leaking battery after less than one month of owning your DS.

Either the battery was defective or they installed it incorrectly before you picked up the bike and they should replace it without charging you.
Or probably electrolyte was overfilled.
I recently got my battery topped up,and it was overflowing for first few days.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 12:28   #2763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiceye View Post
Hi Guys,
Took delivery of my Desert Storm on 25sep. Done 3090kms now. Yesterday I noticed that the acid from the battery is leaking and damaging the paint on the body. Am taking it for the 2nd service tomorrow. Any pointers? Do i get a replacement battery under warranty? I was not given a warranty card for the battery as they said it is not Exide and they will look after it if any problem.
Thanks,
Deepak
You must get a replacement for the battery for sure, as well as the damaged paint needs to be redone to its original condition, all free of cost. If the dealer shows any disinterest write to customer service at RE. They respond immediately.
bradhey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 12:43   #2764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiceye View Post
Hi Guys,
they said it is not Exide and they will look after it if any problem.

Deepak
If it is not Exide, which brand is it? I am keen to know.
Old 19th October 2012, 14:19   #2765
BHPian

Just back from the service centre. Apparently the pipe that connects the battery to eject the overflow had fallen off due to which the the water/acid from the battery was splashing out every time I went over bumps. Sorted out now. Pipe attached. Thank you all.
Old 20th October 2012, 10:47   #2766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeymist View Post
Thats Awesome!! Congrats on your new machine ..Few points you can take care of..Happy & Safe journey..Source: External

The following are the key points to break in.

Never stress the engine by any mean.

Refer your bike manual and play with in the specific rpm limit

Do not ride on constant speed for a long time (that doesn’t mean your bike should make vroom vroom vroom noise) Vary speed means instead of sticking to 45 kmph try to vary between 40 to 50 kmph.’

If possible try to avoid steep / hilly terrains (our Indian roads are terrains in most places)

Give regular breaks during long drives.

Accelerate and de-accelerate in a slow and smooth way

Try to avoid heavy pillion rider because that will stress the engine.

During break in period engine oil changing duration is shorter, (in other word engine oil life is shorter so as to ensure engine life longer) so check the level, quality and quantity of engine oil regularly.

Use only mineral or semi synthetic oil during the run in period, the reason being is the engine moving parts need to rub and get polished with each other, synthetic oil has high lubricating properties thus it will result in uneven polishing of engine parts.

Careful in Engine oil changing intervals during run in period

First oil change in 200 kilometers, Second oil change during first service or 750 to 850 kilometers which ever comes earlier. Third time oil change at 1500 kilometers.(This is a suggested range)

This frequent oil change will ensure most of the scrapped metal particles get removed along with the oil.

Oil filter change will do well, but it’s not mandatory.
Thank you Smokey and Trooper.. Honestly this being my first post and considering the delay in this post being added here I thought for some reasons the moderator would not post it.. I've booked my DS500 on 1st October 2012 and got it on 11th October 2012 from Vizag. I started my ride on 18th October. Got the first service done in Vijaywada where my odo did 502kms (did some riding in Vizag also). I reached bangalore on 19th Oct 2012. It was a damn interesting solo ride and requires a separate post.
Old 21st October 2012, 10:34   #2767
BHPian

Some suggestions on new Battery please, Exide or something else? Also approx cost.
Old 21st October 2012, 12:37   #2768
BHPian

Hi friends,

I booked a TBTS 500 cc last week and delivery is expected in Jan. I currently own a tb 350cc and when talking to my mechanic about my booking, he says that the current classic 500cc has lot of issues with EFI and advices me to go for 350 instead. I booked the 500cc mainly for EFI apart from the additional power. I felt he was not correct on this, but still would like to check with you guys.
Please let me know your thoughts on this.
Old 21st October 2012, 13:10   #2769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Hi friends,

I booked a TBTS 500 cc last week and delivery is expected in Jan. I currently own a tb 350cc and when talking to my mechanic about my booking, he says that the current classic 500cc has lot of issues with EFI and advices me to go for 350 instead. I booked the 500cc mainly for EFI apart from the additional power. I felt he was not correct on this, but still would like to check with you guys.

HI ventoman...can you let me know which dealer is offering such a quick delivery in Bangalore.

Is it the same amount of time for 350 as well?
Old 21st October 2012, 13:51   #2770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Hi friends,

He's probably saying that because he does not understand EFI. Its very reliable and almost maintenance free.
Old 22nd October 2012, 01:08   #2771
Distinguished - BHPian

ventoman
I think it odd that your mechanic would say the RE EFI has issues that would make a carburated version better.

Except for the initial problem with the computer map that Royal Enfield has corrected I have not heard of any issues with the fuel injection at all.
Royal Enfield will update any older fuel injected models that still have the older map for free and uses the new map on all of their current production fuel injected bikes.

I currently have over 7200 miles (11,500 km) on my fuel injected 500 and after a year and a half of ownership I can say I have had absolutely NO problems with the bike or with the fuel injection.

As anandkenkare says, perhaps it is because your mechanic doesn't understand the fuel injection and computer or, perhaps he only has seen a few of the older fuel injected Royal Enfields that had the computer mapping problem?

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 22nd October 2012 at 01:10.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:12   #2772
BHPian

Thanks guys.

You are right. I haven't seen this mechanic handle any of the newer bullets. So its down to his lack of knowledge on EFI. This is a big relief and I can get back to dreaming of my new TBTS 500's arrival!
Old 26th October 2012, 17:33   #2773
Senior - BHPian

I got a Dec 2011 CL5 Chrome with a upswept exhaust,bike has got only 1870kms on its odo till now,i have been taking it easy on the throttle till now,and have got oil changed 4 times already.Now i have started pushing her a bit,i feel the upswept exhaust robs the bike of some performance,is it?,i dont mind my bike sounding like a honda,so i am thinking of reverting to OEM bazooka.My query is,does the upswept,robs the bike of some performance?
Old 26th October 2012, 21:41   #2774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I got a Dec 2011 CL5 Chrome with a upswept exhaust,bike has got only 1870kms on its odo till now,i have been taking it easy on the throttle till now,and have got oil changed 4 times already.Now i have started pushing her a bit,i feel the upswept exhaust robs the bike of some performance,is it?,i dont mind my bike sounding like a honda,so i am thinking of reverting to OEM bazooka.My query is,does the upswept,robs the bike of some performance?
Yes it does, between mid range to top end.
Randhawa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 16:17   #2775
BHPian

Where and how have you been Randhawa ?
Any reasons why this happens on the C5, when
most bikes respond better to open exhausts pipes ??

Mine used to do 120 kph with ease, two up, and nary a vibe at that.
Top whack of 145 kph would be achieved stooping over the tank,
while 130 could be hit upright on the OEM restricted long exhaust.

However the upswept OEM has changed all this, the bike now vibrates more
when being pulled through the revs, and like you said, the mid range and top end
has got disturbed as well..............

Last edited by bradhey : 27th October 2012 at 16:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks