Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2012, 15:42   #2656
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
hi all,

My c500 just abt 2 years old now and around 19 k kms, the fuel pump has given up.

Has anyone faced a similar issue ?

cheers,
ac
maintaining low fuel could have done it. AFAIK fuel pump is a high quality part and costs quite a bit too

Last edited by iron.head : 12th July 2012 at 15:56.
Old 12th July 2012, 16:03   #2657
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
maintaining low fuel could have done it. AFAIK fuel pump is a high quality part and costs quite a bit too
always did a tank full - and as soon as the fuel warning light used to be on - there used to be another tank full..

yeah thts my worry. a high end part goes kaput in just around 19 k Kms.

waiting for the dealership to revert with actual expenses now.

sending it to this dealership called Voyager Motors - Borivali (Mumbai)

cheers,
ac
Old 12th July 2012, 16:07   #2658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
always did a tank full - and as soon as the fuel warning light used to be on - there used to be another tank full..

yeah thts my worry. a high end part goes kaput in just around 19 k Kms.

waiting for the dealership to revert with actual expenses now.

sending it to this dealership called Voyager Motors - Borivali (Mumbai)

cheers,
ac
If it makes you feel any better, I had to rebuild my engine at 15k. The bottom end bearings had worn out causing the piston to go out of alignment and score the barrel.
Old 21st July 2012, 15:53   #2659
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkenkare View Post
Thanks, got your email and shall give you a call next week. By the way are you with RE ?
I am in Goa and checked with the dealer in Panjim. They do no do mapping here. Will be in Kolkata in 2 weeks and shall check with the dealers there.
Old 21st July 2012, 20:52   #2660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkenkare View Post
I am in Goa and checked with the dealer in Panjim. They do no do mapping here. Will be in Kolkata in 2 weeks and shall check with the dealers there.
I got a call from my service engineer yesterday. he had the ECU remapping equipment only for the second time in last 6 months. He highly recommended it and suggested the bike will be smoother after the remap.

It took him all of 15 minutes to run some diagnostics and reflash the ECU with the second map. The diagnostics found one of the important sensor not functioning. And after the remap the sensor got back into business and the bike did run pretty well. Long term test will be shared as well. Cheers.
Old 22nd July 2012, 23:11   #2661
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

My 2 and half months old Classic 500 Desert Storm has started showing signs of rusting in the headlight chrome surround (around the nuts) and some edges near the rear seat. I ride my bike daily, even in heavy rain during the monsoons. How can I avoid the rusting? Please help.
Old 23rd July 2012, 09:17   #2662
BHPian

the 'misfiring' that is being talked about is sometimes misunderstood.

i have heard and read several c500 owners talk about the crackling and popping from the exhaust when off throttle on the overrun slowing from higher speed with the throttle shut, being intepreted as misfire. this is 'not' a misfire. this type of popping noise is noticed more with bikes fitted with short or modified exhausts.

misfire is when the engine misses a firing stroke and there is a slight jerk or shudder when the engine is on throttle.
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:12   #2663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
the 'misfiring' that is being talked about is sometimes misunderstood.

i have heard and read several c500 owners talk about the crackling and popping from the exhaust when off throttle on the overrun slowing from higher speed with the throttle shut, being intepreted as misfire. this is 'not' a misfire. this type of popping noise is noticed more with bikes fitted with short or modified exhausts.

misfire is when the engine misses a firing stroke and there is a slight jerk or shudder when the engine is on throttle.
AFAIK this happens even with the stock exhaust and it is due to the little opening where the bend pipe and exhaust meet. Just put a small sheet of metal(from a coke can) at this opening and popping noise will go away.
Old 23rd July 2012, 22:21   #2664
BHPian

Hey friends.

First time on this thread, I have been using my 2006 Royal Enfield Thunderbird for almost 6 months now (purchased used) and by end of this week will get my Classic 500 home, I was in market for a brand new one but budget problems and super long waiting period made me settle for a used Dec 2010, 5500 kms run model. I have checked the bike properly as per the PDI checklist shared elsewhere in this thread (very helpful, thanks a ton for that). But on a detailed TR of the bull I observed the clutch to be very light when compared to my Thunderbird, which is not tight but definitely feels heavier to operate similar to other pre 2009 bulls I have ridden (never TR'd a classic before) So I hope this is just because of some technical advancements in the new Bullet or is there some expense on its way? Please help guys cos I've read about all those clutch related issues here and am really worried

Also as my C5 arrives I plan to do the following mods immediately,
1: Change both plugs to Iridium ones.
2: Install rear guards.
3: Install a nice branded HID unit (as my TB has one and I find it very useful and very safe for night time highway riding purpose, which I do mostly) Need your advice with the placement of ballast unit as I don't trust those roadside installers with that.
4: Install wind tone type horns (same reason as above, my TB has a switchable unit but on C5 I wish to replace normal ones with those)
5: Replace normal oil with fully synthetic one. Need your advice on brand, grade and whether I should go ahead with it.

Thanks.
Old 23rd July 2012, 23:20   #2665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagar iswalkar View Post
Hey friends.

First time on this thread, I have been using my 2006 Royal Enfield Thunderbird for almost 6 months now (purchased used) and by end of this week will get my Classic 500 home, I was in market for a brand new one but budget problems and super long waiting period made me settle for a used Dec 2010, 5500 kms run model. I have checked the bike properly as per the PDI checklist shared elsewhere in this thread (very helpful, thanks a ton for that). But on a detailed TR of the bull I observed the clutch to be very light when compared to my Thunderbird, which is not tight but definitely feels heavier to operate similar to other pre 2009 bulls I have ridden (never TR'd a classic before) So I hope this is just because of some technical advancements in the new Bullet or is there some expense on its way? Please help guys cos I've read about all those clutch related issues here and am really worried

Also as my C5 arrives I plan to do the following mods immediately,
1: Change both plugs to Iridium ones.
2: Install rear guards.
3: Install a nice branded HID unit (as my TB has one and I find it very useful and very safe for night time highway riding purpose, which I do mostly) Need your advice with the placement of ballast unit as I don't trust those roadside installers with that.
4: Install wind tone type horns (same reason as above, my TB has a switchable unit but on C5 I wish to replace normal ones with those)
5: Replace normal oil with fully synthetic one. Need your advice on brand, grade and whether I should go ahead with it.

Thanks.
get the clutch wire adjusted from RE Workshop(replace if needed), test ride another C5 to compare. Change primary plug to Bosch Platinum Plus WR8DP and secondary to UR6DC. Please do not get any another plug for your bike!

Rear guards? C5 has a good headlight bulb, get a HID only if really necessary. Also, roadside mechanics might not be able to help you with a HID, so always keep a spare bulb with you. Search this thread for detailed info by Randhawa on HID's.

C5's come with 2 horns which are quite powerful. If your C5 has one single horn, you can get new horn/horns. Use a high quality relay+fuse for the second horn.

Replace oil in your C5 every 3000 km's as oil in our C5 gets dirty very fast and in return cleans the engine very nicely. Dirty oil causes the oil rings to wear out early in our C5's. You may use Motul FS 300V 15W50 but unlike conventional thought, it also should be replaced every 3000 kms and is quite expensive(around 900/litre).
iron.head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 00:27   #2666
BHPian

Thanks Iron.Head,

The rear guards I meant to say were these as on my TB.

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-dscn0665.jpg
Old 2nd August 2012, 08:09   #2667
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

My May 2012 Classic 500 Desert Storm has several minor paintjob issues. Prime among them is that the paint bits near the fuel tank cap are falling into the fuel tank. What can be done to avoid this? Also the service people are pushing me to get a teflon coating done. Is it advisable and worth the penny?

Also the fuel economy has suddenly come down to 22-23 kpl from 28-30 kpl. Is it because of the paint bits falling into the fuel tank?
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:49   #2668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
My May 2012 Classic 500 Desert Storm has several minor paintjob issues. Prime among them is that the paint bits near the fuel tank cap are falling into the fuel tank. What can be done to avoid this? Also the service people are pushing me to get a teflon coating done. Is it advisable and worth the penny?

Also the fuel economy has suddenly come down to 22-23 kpl from 28-30 kpl. Is it because of the paint bits falling into the fuel tank?

Hi //M,

even i had same problem with my desert storm. better is to open the fuel cap and peel off the loose paint from the rim of the tank. this way you will avoid it falling inside which can block the fuel pump.

Regarding teflon coating, not much of use. however after the coating the desert storm matte paint might turn glossy. if you like the glossy finish then u can go for this or else avoid. I had read teflon coating not worthy in this very forum. even the advise for only cars, it might apply for even bikes. take your call.

UPDATE on my bike:

Bike has completed 8 months. it had its own niggles. the bike switching off while on move was the major concern. after repaeated calls mails and escalations, they had kept my bike for 8 days and did few replacements. though the switching off has been reduced by not vanished completely.

will give an detailed report in my own thread. as they are waiting for the technical people from factory to get back with the resolution for the switch off problem.

RE was pointing fingers at me saying, since i fill petrol in SHELL, this is an adultered fuel. i need to fill from Indian oil or BP.
Endofdayz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:54   #2669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
no, no!! 10 for exchanging my C5 with a new and improved one. wishful thinking!! I am not going pay more then 500 bucks for remapping of ECU. As it is, i think all of us have spent enough for the C5.

Was at the service center at brand store, bangalore today. Some guys from R&D head office were there holding some meeting and taking pics of spark plug from some C5s. On asking, they said they were doing some research work on the C5 plug sooting. almost 2 yrs since the launch and still they are struggling. They also said that Thunderbird 500 with rear disc brake may hit the market soon. Also 500 with electra and machismo variant are in pipeline. What the point of launching so many new variants if u cant get the basics right??

unless we escalate the issue, how will they know there is a problem?? Lets all make it a point to send regular emails to RE and EICHER customer support, sharing our issues and demanding solutions. I am sure they will do something. As far as my experience goes, the mails to RE does work.

customerservice@royalenfield.com

reach@eicher.co.in
I just came across your post, do not worry the spark Plugs used to foul up big time on the CI 500's too .. The Factory Engineers spent almost a year on my CI500 trying to find out the exact problem.

Abbu the mechanic (Mulund link Rd.) finally fixed the issue for me for a mere 100 Rs.
Old 2nd August 2012, 16:37   #2670
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
Hi //M,

even i had same problem with my desert storm. better is to open the fuel cap and peel off the loose paint from the rim of the tank. this way you will avoid it falling inside which can block the fuel pump.
Is it right to do so? Won't it affect the overall paint quality of the fuel tank if I peel of paint bits? Won't there be any rusting issues?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks