Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2012, 02:50   #2521
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by si1ver0ne View Post
Hi Everyone,

I was a the RE Brand Store last Saturday enquiring about Saddle Bags and other RE accessories for my C500. Even though they didn't have any, they mentioned about RE launching their Custom Branded accessories like Jackets, Caps, T-shirts, Saddle Bags, etc., either in June or July 2012. Great News!

Do any of you already some some first hand info on this launch and what are the products that will be made available?

Please do share if you have any info.

Cheers,
Si1ver0ne
If I am not mistaken, the merchandise launch has already taken place at the Auto Expo. They might be distributing the same to the dealers over the period as and when available.
Old 16th April 2012, 09:45   #2522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
I have failed to lock the handle on my bull any suggestions how to lock it?
Just behind the front right indicator, you'll see a place to put in the key. That's the lock!

Quote:
Another small query that I had was, on a cold start should I let the engine idle for some time before I set off and if yes what duration should I idle for and if the same holds true should I idle before shutting down the engine?
I'd usually let it idle for 40-45 seconds before taking off. I don't think there's any reason to idle when shutting it down!

Quote:
A very very special thanks to fellow TBHPian - "StreetAddict" for helping me out with the PDI and his suggestions.
Anytime bro.. When are we heading for a drive?
Old 17th April 2012, 11:20   #2523
BHPian

Desert Storm Goes Mute.......

Hey Guys,

I took delivery of my Desert Storm on 18 Feb 2012 and have been thumping with joy ever since. I've come across a few minor niggles but have dealt with them armed with the knowledge gained by following this thread. A big Thank You to all who made this thread what it is.

My DS 500 recently threw a challenge at me that has left my goose truly cooked. Hope one of you can shed some light on the solution.

I've done about 2.5K on the odo so far and am due to take it in for the 2nd service shortly. Most of my riding is done at night with speeds averaging 60 - 80 kmph. I switch onto the high beam only whilst overtaking or when required to signal oncoming vehicles. I have not tampered with or made any adjustments to the DS 500.

I've started noticing that the horn starts going dull. These are the new improved double horns that are coming standard on the CLASSIC. Whilst the headlight is ON, if used frequently, the horn is loosing it loud sound and goes "peep" "peep". My observations are this mostly happens whilst the headlight is turned ON and the throttle is at minimum. But it is erratic and sometimes even happens when the headlight is not being used. When this happens, if I increase the throttle, the horn goes back to its normal sound for a while.

I'm not having any problems with the other electrical components like the lights, indicators or the self start. But I have recently started noticing that the headlight dims a wee bit when I honk the horn. I'm not sure if this is a recent problem or if it was there from the beginning and I'm just noticing it now.

I've checked with the Head Mechanic at the Brand Store and he assured me that this peculiar behavior of the Horn is quite normal and that there is nothing wrong with the battery or other electrical components as the self start if working fine.

I want to get this sorted out when I take it in for the 2nd service in a few days time. And with the Head Mechanic saying that things are as they should be, I ask for help from my fellow BHPians.
Old 17th April 2012, 13:16   #2524
BHPian

@ SAVIOURAVENGER : You need to add a good quality "relay" to the wiring going out from the horn to the battery. A good electrician will be able to assist you.
Old 17th April 2012, 21:10   #2525
Senior - BHPian

actually, this happened to me when my my battery had begun to lose power. It happened all the three times. The horn sounds nice while driving but loses its strength when the bike is idle.

But it is not necessary that our bikes face the same issue. Mine is a DS500 Feb model as well. :P
Old 17th April 2012, 22:32   #2526
BHPian

Fellow 500 Owners, I had few queries regarding the 500, if you may please help.

1) Will a K&N help in the longer run on the 500 and where can I find one for it and the pricing?

2) Even after close to a week's ownership, I do not find myself well versed with the electric starter, it takes me three to four cranks to start my bull, any suggestions how to use it in a better way?

3) If the bull does not get started on the 1st crank should I wait for a while before I crank it up again, if yes, what should be the time delay between consecutive cranks?

Thanks for all the help guys !!
Old 20th April 2012, 14:03   #2527
Distinguished - BHPian

Maroon Marauder was behaving a bit strangely from last couple of days. With slack in throttle it sputters and dies.

It has happened 3-4 times in last couple of days. To keep the engine alive, need to revv it a bit hard. What could be wrong?

Btw, It's due for its 3 service tomorrow.
Old 20th April 2012, 15:08   #2528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Maroon Marauder was behaving a bit strangely from last couple of days. With slack in throttle it sputters and dies.

It has happened 3-4 times in last couple of days. To keep the engine alive, need to revv it a bit hard. What could be wrong?

Btw, It's due for its 3 service tomorrow.
Does the engine sound coarse? could be time to change the engine oil. Check the oil for viscosity.
Old 27th April 2012, 12:52   #2529
BHPian

First Showers and the Aftermath!

My C500 experienced the first showers here in Bangalore day before yesterday, it was a wonderful experience riding in the initial drizzle n then a slight downpour. Then comes the aftermath, the ride through the city traffic, dirt, mud and slush, has left the bike begging for a clean bath!!!

I'm a little apprehensive about taking it to a local service station to give it a wash, especially coz of the exposed wires and not sure what else might just go wrong.

Can you any you please share some tips? Is it ok to take it for a pressure wash? I remember reading some where in this thread that the exhaust open end has to be covered with a plastic cover during the wash. Are there any other things that I need to be aware off while taking it for a wash.

With all these questions I'm also contemplating whether I should take to a RE service station or probably give it a wash myself!

Your suggestions would surely help.
Old 27th April 2012, 13:56   #2530
BHPian

wash it yourself...this will allow you to check many other things in the process !
bradhey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 14:32   #2531
Senior - BHPian

which tyre?

My michelin M45 rear is done about 20k kms and seems its live its life. The treads are gone, and the grip is not how it use to be. the bike skids more often these days. Monsoons are here and an i am planning for a new rear tyre.
The front is still OEM, and seems to be in decent shape.

What are the tyre options i have with front and rear both 18" (the old model).
Guys, hows the feedback from the new lot of C5 tyres, esp the rear. Was considering Sirac but would like to know if some other economical options are available. My run consists of daily city use and occasional south indian highways (about 65 /35). Any inputs would be helpful.

Quote:
Can you any you please share some tips? Is it ok to take it for a pressure wash? I remember reading some where in this thread that the exhaust open end has to be covered with a plastic cover during the wash. Are there any other things that I need to be aware off while taking it for a wash.

With all these questions I'm also contemplating whether I should take to a RE service station or probably give it a wash myself!
Best is DIY. No one will take care of your bike, like you would.

But for some ppl like myself, availability of water and source of water is an issue at our apartment. so is a dedicated place to wash and time factor. So i usually get is washed about once in a month at a local bike washing joint. Just ask them to be gentle at the engine and other sensitive areas. Have not had any issues resulting out of the pressure wash. But would not recommend it unless there is no alternative.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 27th April 2012 at 14:39.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 19:42   #2532
BHPian

Hi,

I'd be taking delivery of my classic 500 (chrome) this week. A few people have told me that I should not be going beyond 50kmph or so till I do 1000+ kms. Depending on who you talk the speed limit is from 40-60kmph and the slow drive is from 1000-2000kms. Is it true that this bike should not be going more than some X kmph? What are those limits with your experience?

I also intend to take the same on a long drive of about 1200kms (in 3.5days). Is there a minimum number that I need to cover before taking it on the long ride?

Thanks,

Prasad (RamP!)
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:23   #2533
Distinguished - BHPian

prasad14
I own the fuel injected 500cc UCE powered Royal Enfield and my Operators Manual recommends not exceeding 50-60 kmph for the first 500 km.
My dealer said short bursts of speed to 70 would be all right but slowing down to 60 kmph should be done after only a short period of time.

At 500 km there is a service requirement to change the oil, the oil filter and to clean the wire screen that is on the oil pump inlet.

I did this service to my bike and was amazed at the presence of a matting of fiber like material that had collected on the pump screen. Also, there are two magnets, one on the drain plug and one on the pump screen retainer.
These magnets will have collected a LOT of small pieces of steel that resulted from the engines parts rubbing together and "breaking in".

Following this 500 km service you can run the motorcycle up to higher speeds with 90 kmph being the recommended maximum.
This maximum should be the limiting speed until the motorcycle reaches 1000 km. although here again exceeding it to 100 kmph for short periods should not cause a problem.

Although the next oil and oil filter change after the 500km change is not scheduled until the bike reaches 3000 km, I did another oil and filter change at this 1000 km distance to make sure that additional fibrous material had not tried to plug the oil pump screen.
When I did this I didn't find any more of the material but both magnets had collected quite a bit of steel filings.
Changing the oil and filter at this 1000 km distance did give me a good feeling that everything was doing fine and it would be well protected for the next 2000 km.

After 1000 km the break in period is complete and there is no speed limit except for that imposed by the limits of the engines power.
On my bike, that limit has proven to be about 140 kmph.

With all of this said I see no real problem with your 1200 km voyage providing you get the first 500 km service done before venturing out.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:19   #2534
BHPian

Hi All,

I have desert storm which has clocked 6k kms in 5 months. i have a strange problems.

1. Whenever i cross a pothole or speed breaker there is a thud sound coming from fork. i have had other bikes including TBTS before and used to use same roads. dint face problems. I have informed this to service center guys numerous number of times but they are not solving the problem.

2. Also while traveling in 30 to 40 km/hr, the bike behaves as if there is no fuel supply for second or two and gains acceleration. Its as if its dying on me and comes to life again. Are anyone aware of this issue and resolution will be of great help.

I'm getting no help from service center.
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:32   #2535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
Hi All,

I have desert storm which has clocked 6k kms in 5 months. i have a strange problems.

1. Whenever i cross a pothole or speed breaker there is a thud sound coming from fork. i have had other bikes including TBTS before and used to use same roads. dint face problems. I have informed this to service center guys numerous number of times but they are not solving the problem.

2. Also while traveling in 30 to 40 km/hr, the bike behaves as if there is no fuel supply for second or two and gains acceleration. Its as if its dying on me and comes to life again. Are anyone aware of this issue and resolution will be of great help.

I'm getting no help from service center.
It's so shameful of RE that they are not able to address the issue of bike stuttering and stalling even with a new ECU Map...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks