Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2011, 09:18   #2251
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I should have mentioned that the letter I and J are not used.
This makes K = Sep., L= Oct., M=Nov., N= Dec..
Thanks, that clears my doubt, i will also look into my VIN of DS before buying
Old 21st December 2011, 19:22   #2252
BHPian

hello all the RE gurus
i am an RE enthusiast and am in the process of acquiring (my 1st ever) a new RE 500 classic chrome or Desert Storm.
since, the waiting period is over 8months; i have come across a dealer who is offering me the option of getting the bullet in 10-12days by paying an "ON" amount.
my query is-
1) can it be old stock lying around, that he is clearing off.
2) is there a VIN check that can be done?
3) is this a legitimate buy with respect to guarantee, warranty, etc.
your help will be much appreciated.
cheers
Old 21st December 2011, 22:38   #2253
Senior - BHPian

I have gone for test drive of DS500 today and they told me that RE can increase 5% of ex showroom in january for all the bikes, can somebody confirm the same, wont it be better to buy the bike now
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:32   #2254
BHPian

Got my first service done today.
Services carried out
1. Normal service. ( oil change etc )
2. Rear wheel aligment. now the bike is not twitching at 80.
3. Changed the handle bars to electra's ones. The stock were not giving me upright posture in any position. Now very happy with chest open stance while riding.
4. Got teflon coating on my DS. the color came out very nice.Will wait to see how time affects this.
5. Got a couple of chrome bookings changed to DS one.

Changes in bike after service
1. the thump is now muted. sounds like a jap 1000 cc when idle. Other classic owners suggested changing of silencer to get that back.
2. The pick up is breeze now. butter smooth

3. with changed handlebars I sit upright , chest open true bulleteer style.

The mechaninc GINNI, at ESS AAR workshop was friendly. Satisfied with the service.

Will post more updates on further running.
Old 23rd December 2011, 09:53   #2255
Senior - BHPian

can somebody suggest which is a better engine in terms of performance and life: the UCE Classic 500 or the Old 2005 Thunderbird model engine?
i am asking this question since i have set my Thunderbird 2005 model for sale and has booked DS500,

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupkrverma View Post
Changed the handle bars to electra's ones. The stock were not giving me upright posture in any position. Now very happy with chest open stance while riding.
Can you post some snaps and quote price as well, while doing the test ride of DS even i felt a urge of bit higher handle bars, i am 6'2" and currently riding TB so riding DS felt too low

Quote:
Got teflon coating on my DS. the color came out very nice.Will wait to see how time affects this.
how much did it cost you and again request for some snaps if possible

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 23rd December 2011 at 10:20. Reason: add
Old 23rd December 2011, 16:30   #2256
BHPian

Just got back from a 95 km ride. Karolbagh, Delhi to Gurgaoun golf club.
80 km on Expressway with heavy traffic.
Observations
1. While I was with pillion. The bike pulled nicely from 60-100kmph. acceleration was quite impressive as I managed to whizz past them without any stain on the engine.
2. The bike was stable till 100 km. No vibrations or shakiness till 100 kmph. Did not try to go past 100 kmph due to fear of own life and the notorious driving skills of delhi schumachers, webbers, vettels.
3. Since its cold here there was no evidence of heating up.
4. tyre pressure was 30ps front 35 ps rear.
5. The electra handles proved to be worthy. There was no fatigue or muscle strain or back pain. I could adjust my position at will during the ride.

While coming back I was solo. So the observations now
1. Great acceleration from 60-100 kmph. nothing coming close when I decide to open the throttle.
2. The bike's rear twitches when going around 100 kmph. Now, the conditions were windy with wind direction across. So the wind pressure was great and the twitchiness could be attributed to the above. The real culprit ( whether it is rear wheel alignment or wind direction and speed ) can not be decided till march now. As the winters in Delhi are either foggy or windy. So no point in going above 80-90 kmph.
3. The thump is back which I thought to be lost after 1st service. This time it is more toned down and is pleasing
to ears.

4. No shakes or disturbing vibrations till 80 kmph. Whatever vibrations you get can be negotiated with appropriate gears. I mean the power band of gears is not consistent with bike speed. So I think it will be an art to drive without vibrations.

5. Could not go above 100 kmph due to above stated reasons of fear and......

@RUCHIR :: The teflon cost me 800 bucks for three sittings. Each on services due. A bit costlier from retail market but I chose to pay the extra bucks. I hope u notice the glaze in the pic.

The electra handles cost me 325 handles and 110 labour at workshop.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-imag0281.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-imag0282.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-imag0283.jpg  

anupkrverma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 22:58   #2257
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 25th December 2011 at 16:49.
aruncheloor is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th December 2011, 10:57   #2258
Senior - BHPian

@anupam, thanks for the snaps, seems even you are above 6", DS looks bit small on you just like it looks on me
teflon has given the bike a normal paint finish and surface is looking glossy and shiny like standard RE finish

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 24th December 2011 at 10:59.
Old 24th December 2011, 19:45   #2259
BHPian

Hello Randhawa and ArizonaJim!

This is my first post on Team-BHP and I am really thankful to Randhawa and everyone else for such an amazing and informative thread! To gather some knowledge about the C5, I have read this thread(and few others). In one of the posts, Randhawa described about the dirt that gets collected inside the throttle body and about cleaning it. Now, I want to know, if there are other things in the C5 that need to be serviced which are not taken care/ignored by the service center people and need to be done by us at home. Please be as comprehensive as possible. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Throttle Body Maintenance at 10K

Apart from cleaning, I wanted to do something on my bike and apart from cleaning plugs there is hardly anything else you can on do C5 in respect of tuning. So thought of taking apart the Throttle body and giving it some TLC. Odo is 10K plus and I thought cleaning it might help a bit towards the performance side

Attachment 352918

Its a fiddly business to take it apart due to the Throttle cables which are a bit tricky to undo as well as the by-starter cable so without dismantling the throttle cable and by-starter cable I removed the throttle body. I wasn't surprised to see it dirty from inside.

All it needed was some brake fluid and a used tooth brush to clean it from end to end.

Few pictures of before and after cleaning up.
Throttle Body- engine side-BEFORE
Attachment 352914
Old 24th December 2011, 19:58   #2260
BHPian

Re: Assist Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
i am too looking for getting the saree guard removed on my booked desert storm, even if i do not put left stay to it, will it make any difference, since nobody will be sitting back (i will get the pillion seat removed)
Not qualified enough to speculate whether this will have any impact on the rear suspension setup, structural integrity and handling of the bike.

But I would hazard an opinion that the Bull will not look complete without the left stay if the saree guard is removed, especially since it comes with the right stay already installed.
Old 24th December 2011, 21:50   #2261
BHPian

hi ruuchir, i am not a 6 feeter. only 5'9". but my torso is proportionately bigger than legs so it appears so.
Old 25th December 2011, 15:10   #2262
BHPian

Hi to all bull owners
Can anything be done on our bullet like this bonneville custom.
Look what a beauty has been customized out of the stock one.
Will love to have tyres like that.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-triumphbonnevillecustom.jpg  

Old 25th December 2011, 19:47   #2263
BHPian

Just noticed a bit of upholstery hanging down under the seat. It turns out to be RE manufacturing at work again. All other brands staple the vinyl to the base underneath but RE has glued it possibly with contact glue which can fail with heat. I suggest you all check it because if left loose the vinyl seat covering may pull out of shape with use and leave a permanent distortion topside.
Old 26th December 2011, 08:37   #2264
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

RE guru's and owner's: Can somebody tell me what are the service intervals for the CL500 Desert Storm? I heard that the first service is due at 500kms, but thereafter I have no knowledge. I am planning to book a DS soon and it will be my first Enfield so my knowledge about the Bullet's are limited. Thanks in advance.
Old 26th December 2011, 08:49   #2265
BHPian

Quote:
4. tyre pressure was 30ps front 35 ps rear.

2. The bike's rear twitches when going around 100 kmph. Now, the conditions were windy with wind direction across. So the wind pressure was great and the twitchiness could be attributed to the above. The real culprit ( whether it is rear wheel alignment or wind direction and speed ) can not be decided till march now.
the tyre pressure you are running at front is quite high. Try reducing tyre pressures and see if the situation improves.

the manual recommends only Fr.20 and Rr30 for solo riding.
the_trooper is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks