Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2011, 07:43   #1876
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
@ adises

First, allow me to thank you.
I went out to see if I could find a similar wire ....
Haha I shall take your advice and go to the workshop. *Goes quickly downstairs to remove said wire from the hole in the frame.*

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd October 2011 at 18:54. Reason: Hi, please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers. Thanks.
Old 2nd October 2011, 10:52   #1877
Senior - BHPian

@Adises-Can you post a picture of the connector at the end of this wire and what colour wire is it. From picture provided, one can hardly see it. Is it plain white or red/white?
Old 2nd October 2011, 11:37   #1878
BHPian

Hi All,

I had been waiting for DS since long when the first pic was updated in NET. i went to brand store to change my booking from Tblue to DS. i quite liked the color.i had kept all the points Randhawa had mentioned. i liked it alot. hence asked them to change my bookings. they informed me that they will cancel the old booking and will create new bookings. change of color is not allowed.

with no other choice i had to cancel my first booking and go ahead with new booking again. now again the wait starts but this time for DS instead of T BLUE.
Old 2nd October 2011, 11:48   #1879
BHPian

So the big question

Can old C500 owners update their ECU Maps with the new ones?
I would love DIY but anything is good.

I was planning to change my stock spark plugs with Bosh Platinum or NGK.
Old 2nd October 2011, 12:41   #1880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
Hi All,

I had been waiting for DS since long when the first pic was updated in NET. i went to brand store to change my booking from Tblue to DS. i quite liked the color.i had kept all the points Randhawa had mentioned. i liked it alot. hence asked them to change my bookings. they informed me that they will cancel the old booking and will create new bookings. change of color is not allowed.

with no other choice i had to cancel my first booking and go ahead with new booking again. now again the wait starts but this time for DS instead of T BLUE.
No this is not true. I suggest you to write on the FB page of Royal Enfield and their twitter page as well, to get a quick response and delivery....!
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:56   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@Adises-Can you post a picture of the connector at the end of this wire and what colour wire is it. From picture provided, one can hardly see it. Is it plain white or red/white?
Sorry the blackberry curve camera has its limitations, getting a better picture would require me to bring out the SLR. Anyways after further investigation it turns out the wire does indeed belong to my rear brake light and was disconnected because the spring mechanism connected to my rear brake pedal was jamming (the light used to be always on for 4 out 5 times that I applied the rear brake)

In my efforts to find out why my bike's battery keep draining I have replaced the battery itself and replaced the right-hand side switches. Despite this today while riding when I pressed the horn the bike jerked and switched off (the engine malfunction/fuel pump light came on too)

Next on my list is the ignition key switch which should be replaced next weekend. After that all that I can think of is getting the electrical wiring completely checked.

One thing that puzzles me is when I use the brakes/headlight I observe the lights of my neutral indicator/speedometer dim. And, if I increase the throttle the lights brighten up. Is this supposed to happen? I vaguely remember reading somewhere how the lights aren't dependent on the bike's engine/throttle.
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:36   #1882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharth_menon
So the big question

I got mine done,it's a 5 min job.
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:39   #1883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharth_menon View Post
So the big question

@Siddharth Which service centre do you take your bike to? I don't get much confidence from the looks of the one in Andheri. I need to get my ECU updated with the new maps too, will call up the brand store tomorrow and ask about the same.
Old 2nd October 2011, 21:33   #1884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adises View Post
bike jerked and switched off (the engine malfunction/fuel pump light came on too)

One thing that puzzles me is when I use the brakes/headlight I observe the lights of my neutral indicator/speedometer dim. And, if I increase the throttle the lights brighten up. Is this supposed to happen? I vaguely remember reading somewhere how the lights aren't dependent on the bike's engine/throttle.

Get your ignition switch checked

A little bit of dimming is normal
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 21:55   #1885
BHPian

First off I would like to thank you all for the prompt replies! As a first time bullet owner and complete bike novice, this thread has been a treasure trove of information and invaluable in my journey of discovery.

I will be getting a new ignition key switch put in this weekend (the store didn't have one in stock). Hopefully it fixes the battery problem once and for all.

An additional query that I almost forgot to mention was how do people get around the speedometer cable getting pressed in a dual-lamp relay setup (I installed a Philips 100/90)? Mine was initially working fine till the headlight casing was removed to check the ignition switch cable, now the needle moves like crazy.

From my search queries one of the solutions seems to be keeping the speedometer cable nut loose so there is a bit of free play for the wire. A solution I am contemplating is to break the holder and fix the wires to the bulb in a manner similar to the original headlight wires. Would this be the best way to go forward?
Old 2nd October 2011, 23:07   #1886
BHPian

Quote:
I got mine done,it's a 5 min job.
Cool, lets hope now this bugger has any idea how to work on ECU.

Hope you got it done at Service Center, if so what socket did they use?
I was planing to make my own kit some day when I find time. Its good news that ECU is not read only.
Quote:
@Siddharth Which service centre do you take your bike to? I don't get much confidence from the looks of the one in Andheri. I need to get my ECU updated with the new maps too, will call up the brand store tomorrow and ask about the same.
Nerul, New Mumbai.
Ashwin runs the service station, sometimes his brother takes charge. He will treat you like a dog! Very rude.

My suggestion, to get a good job done you need to make friends with the mechanics. After you got your job done don't forget to tip them 50-100 bucks depending upon the nature of work.
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:20   #1887
BHPian

Quote:
First off I would like to thank you all for the prompt replies! As a first time bullet owner and complete bike novice, this thread has been a treasure trove of information and invaluable in my journey of discovery.

I will be getting a new ignition key switch put in this weekend (the store didn't have one in stock). Hopefully it fixes the battery problem once and for all.

An additional query that I almost forgot to mention was how do people get around the speedometer cable getting pressed in a dual-lamp relay setup (I installed a Philips 100/90)? Mine was initially working fine till the headlight casing was removed to check the ignition switch cable, now the needle moves like crazy.

From my search queries one of the solutions seems to be keeping the speedometer cable nut loose so there is a bit of free play for the wire. A solution I am contemplating is to break the holder and fix the wires to the bulb in a manner similar to the original headlight wires. Would this be the best way to go forward?
This post seems to indicate an answer to your electrical gremlins - A 100/90 watt headlamp bulb is far above what the bike electrical system is designed for. Putting in a relay saves your switch contacts but the load on the battery has gone up from 5 Amps to 7.5 - 8 Amps. Switch to a 55/60 Watt bulb and your battery will charge and function right. Before a change of the ignition switch , try changing the bulb and also get a can of OKS contact cleaner or Multifunction lubricant sprat and spray a healthy dose into the key slot. That may help reduce contact contamination and improve conductivity. Also get( or do yourself ) the battery terminals cleaned , filed and refitted and apply a generous coating of vaseline on them. A bad connection in the battery terminal can cause weird electrical failures.

Regards
Naren
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:10   #1888
Senior - BHPian

@Naren- He is allright with using 100/90 unless he is not riding in day time enough to keep it charged or riding too slow in the city.
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:14   #1889
BHPian

Quote:
@Naren- He is allright with using 100/90 unless he is not riding in day time enough to keep it charged or riding too slow in the city.
I do actually remove the bike at night more often than day owing to my work hours. I assumed the battery charge rate was greater than the amount consumed.

The reason for the more powerful bulb is the horrible lighting conditions along the roads I take as well as planned future rides down the national highways.

Will try taking the bike out on longer trips during the day if that is the case. Else, downgrade back to the original.
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:55   #1890
BHPian

I am reminded of preparing for exams right outside the exam hall as I am going thru this thread rapidly right now. My bike is being delivered in the next one hour.

Being a complete newbie with two wheelers in general and RE in particular, I am not kidding when I say that I have the exam blues.

Wish me luck guys - hope nothing is damaged in transit (I got it transported), hope the battery is charged, hope there is enough fuel to get me to the nearby petrol pump, hope the petrol pump is open so late at night, hope it has petrol, hope I am able to get it started and rolling the way I have always wanted to.

Now the last one hour of wait...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks