Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 18:20   #1756

Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Alert:
Service camp by RE engineers at Teknic motors in Bangalore. Apparently, they are addressing the issue of jerking, soothing etc. I was told they are going to remap the bikes as well.
Only between 22 - 23 Aug'11
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:12   #1757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by +rex View Post
Alert:
Service camp by RE engineers at Teknic motors in Bangalore. Apparently, they are addressing the issue of jerking, soothing etc. I was told they are going to remap the bikes as well.
Only between 22 - 23 Aug'11
Yup. Got a call from the RE brand store service center on 20-Aug about a camp, specially to address jerking. Took my bike for a check and the following were carried out (free of cost):

a. Fix a rubber cover/insulation tape over almost all the wires/connectors inside the RHS box (which should have come factory default).
b. Remap of the EC. I was told that the remap would address the jerking.
c. Spark plugs changed to WR8DP
d. Air filter cover fixed (mine was originally without the fibre fitment)

As for the results, the jerking has decreased significantly, but I still managed to come across it a couple of times in stop-and-go traffic.
All in all, a welcome move by RE per me. However, I could spot only about 5-6 vehicles in the afternoon and that tells me that not all owners have been intimated. Strange, given that these issues are faced by many C5 owners!
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:13   #1758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Hello to you all. I am a new member living in Phoenix, Arizona in the United States of America. Allow me to say that I am pleased to be a part of your forum.

Happy riding to you.
@ arizona jim.. & C500 owners
what are technical difference between your 2011 G5 Royal Enfield Deluxe and the Indian C500.
What are the tyres that are used on 2011 G5 Royal Enfield Deluxe ?
do you have other options apart from the ones that the company provides ?

I went through the accessories website and u guys have a lot of option for after market accessory add ons.
Old 24th August 2011, 11:37   #1759
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
@ arizona jim.. & C500 owners
what are technical difference between your 2011 G5 Royal Enfield Deluxe and the Indian C500.
I am not that familiar with the Indian version of the G5 UCE powered bike.

I believe the biggest difference is due to the emission requirements we have.
The computer uses a oxygen sensor and the computer uses this in a closed loop system to set the proper fuel/air ratio.
There is also the silencer which we've nicknamed the "Torpedo" because of its great size and length. This has a catalytic converter built into it and I understand it is made in Germany. I have heard it is VERY expensive to replace.
It is rather quiet when just cruising but there is definitely a nice big bore sound when one is accelerating.

The headlight and parking switch does not work because there is a DOT (Department of Transportation) requirement for all motorcycles to have their headlight on at all times. This must be met in order to import the machines.
(This bypass of the switch is accomplished by use of a jumper wire which some, like myself remove so we can control our lights.)
I should mention here that each individual State controls what must exist on a vehicle and many States (such as mine) do not require the headlight to be on all of the time.

Another DOT requirement is that the headlight must be adjustable. This, along with finding a DOT approved light bulb forced Royal Enfield to install a 5 3/4" (146mm) sealed beam headlight with aiming adjustment screws.

As I mentioned, the various States have their own requirements for vehicles and California has some regulations dealing with emissions that forced the use of a charcoal canister thru which the fuel tank vents/breaths. In addition to this a air tight screw on fuel cap and a fueling orifice just large enough to permit a unleaded fuel nozzle (which is smaller in diameter than the old leaded fuel nozzle was) is installed.
These features do not exist on the Royal Enfields sold in the other 49 States and they cost an extra $200 (9,000 rupees) which must be paid by the buyer.

Quote:
What are the tyres that are used on 2011 G5 Royal Enfield Deluxe ?
The front tyre is a 3.25-19 AVON Speedmaster MK II. This is an old style tyre with multiple circumferential grooves.
The rear tyre is a 3.5-19 AVON SM (Speedmaster?) MK II. This tyre has multiple zig-zag grooves.
Both tyres were made in England and are U.S. DOT approved.

I don't know if the Indian versions come with these but my U.S. Royal Enfield motorcycle came with a spare inner tube, clutch cable, throttle cable, speedometer drive cable and throttle enrichment (choke) cable.

I'm not sure if the importer (Keven Mahoney) does this with all of the Royal Enfields they sell or if the dealer decided on his own to include these items.

In addition to these items Mr. Mahoney, in a show of faith in the Royal Enfield motorcycles and to help his company compete with the other motorcycles sold in this country includes a 2 year unconditional parts and labor warranty to the original buyer.
It was this faith and warranty plus the great appearance and big 500 cc single cylinder that sold me on the bike.

Quote:
do you have other options apart from the ones that the company provides ?
Not really. As you mentioned there are a host of other accessories that can be bought ranging from "crash bars" to 7" (178mm) headlights, luggage attachments, seats, windscreens, etc. that can be bought and installed by the owner or, if he/she doesn't feel up to it, by the dealer.

I undoubtedly forgot some things but I hope this answers your questions.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 21:28   #1760
BHPian

Tire upgrade?

Finally couldn't find Sirac 120/90 -18,spoke to many Michelin stores.
They aren't even sure of its availability in near future.
So finally got rid of the MRF zappers,though they appeared a little better lately after 10K on ODO.
Went for the following from Karol Bagh:
Front:Michelin sirac 3.00 ~ 90/90 - 18 same as stock in Classic 500.
Rear: Michelin Sirac 100/90 -18 (couldn't find 120/90)Stock was 110/90-18
Rs 3500 for both the Tires.
So the rear tire is a little thinner but trust me Sirac has an unmatchable grip,though it seems to have some side effects:

I feel that,since the front is also Sirac & its having a lot of grip in comparison to Zappers,Motorcycle seems to be a little heavy,
handling is not at all that butter smooth as it was with zappers,on curves,the handle seems to throw it self in the groove & seems
a little reluctant to come back straight.
Now I think that very quickly I will get used to these tires and their handling with time ,or did I made a wrong choice for front tire....?
Suggestions awaited.

Also on close inspection,following was engraved on the front tire-"Rear wheel"
So is it supposed to be used only for rear only?
BTW had a word with the Michelin dealer,he said if I am having issues related to handling,he recommends to downgrade to 2.75/18 Michelin(some model,I don't remember),as the 3.00 might be a little larger to my front Rim.

Kindly suggest me the right front combination with rear Sirac 100/90-18
Old 25th August 2011, 12:46   #1761
BHPian

Re: Tire upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator_47 View Post
Also on close inspection,following was engraved on the front tire-"Rear wheel"
So is it supposed to be used only for rear only?
BTW had a word with the Michelin dealer,he said if I am having issues related to handling,he recommends to downgrade to 2.75/18 Michelin(some model,I don't remember),as the 3.00 might be a little larger to my front Rim.

Kindly suggest me the right front combination with rear Sirac 100/90-18
Michelin Sirac is a rear tire and the bull's misbehavior is nothing but protest.

For the front tire, you can choose from M45 3.00 or M62 Gazelle 3.00. 3.00 is equivalent to 90/90 size. And do not go in for change in size as your speedo/odo readings may get affected.
Both are designed for front & rear wheel operation. The direction of rotation changes and is marked clearly on the side wall. Make sure you get it right while installing.

M45 has better wet road grip while M62 is preferred over M45 in rough terrain because of reinforced side walls.
M45 4.00 x 18 would have looked better on the bull but sirac is a better tire on any given day.

Last edited by sharanvenu : 25th August 2011 at 13:02. Reason: Updated Data regarding tire size in the query.
Old 25th August 2011, 14:56   #1762
BHPian

@sharanvenu:Thanks for the reply mate,since the stock zapper was 90/90/18,should I go exactly for the same size as I believe there would always be lack of surety with 3.00 or 2.75.

So I deduce that I shall be looking for M45 or M62 in 2.75 since they don't come in 90/90 and experience with 3.00 hasn't been good at all.

Any other suggestion for a light tire to match the rear Sirac 100/90/18 would be welcome
Old 25th August 2011, 15:02   #1763
Senior - BHPian

Guys, in less than 4 months, I see lot of traces of rust and chrome peeling off. I am unsure how to take this up. Do I ask for replacement or ask them to re-chrome? I park it generally inside the garage and very less exposed to environment generally.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_5638.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_5641.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_5643.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_5645.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_5653.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_5654.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_5658.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_5659.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_5669.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_5670.jpg  

Old 25th August 2011, 15:18   #1764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Guys, in less than 4 months, I see lot of traces of rust and chrome peeling off. I am unsure how to take this up. Do I ask for replacement or ask them to re-chrome? I park it generally inside the garage and very less exposed to environment generally.

Sad to see new bull catching rust so soon. but since the crash guard is after market product, you can do nothing about it. apart from it all the parts needs a replacement. go and show it to showroom and get it replaced.

I had similar issues with thunderbird i owned few months back. when pointed out all the parts were replaced with new ones. also writing to customer care helps.they promptly reply.

OT: the last pic do not look like classic. did you want to show the chrome holding onto old bike or what.

This is one thing i'm not keen on chrome 500 if it is released. really cant gauge the quality of chrome gone in. And this bike has lot of them.
Old 25th August 2011, 15:21   #1765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator_47 View Post
experience with 3.00 hasn't been good at all.
Does the 3.00 look bigger than a 90/90 tire? You have seen both.
What are the issues bugging you most with the 3.00 tire up front?
What I mean to say is the trouble may have been caused by the rear tire installed as a front tire.
M62 Gazelle should go well with Sirac. Its also available in 2.75-18 Config if you are particular about it.
Old 25th August 2011, 17:57   #1766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu View Post
M62 Gazelle should go well with Sirac. Its also available in 2.75-18 Config if you are particular about it.
Sorry for that. My bad. Just checked with michelin dealerships in hyderabad. They dont have M45s or M62s in stock. So I think that Michelin finally has stopped importing them and they are going ahead with the plan to cover the entire range with pilot sporty and sirac street range.
So that leaves you with Sirac Street (Which is the only one in stock) as the only option. I'm also in search of a 2.75 - 18 tyre (not for a C5 though). Sirac Street seems to be the only option left for me also.
sharanvenu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 01:02   #1767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu View Post
Sorry for that. My bad. Just checked with michelin dealerships in hyderabad. They dont have M45s or M62s in stock. So I think that Michelin finally has stopped importing them and they are going ahead with the plan to cover the entire range with pilot sporty and sirac street range.
So that leaves you with Sirac Street (Which is the only one in stock) as the only option. I'm also in search of a 2.75 - 18 tyre (not for a C5 though). Sirac Street seems to be the only option left for me also.

Basically after installing Sirac on C5,I can feel that the handling,smoothness and power of the Bull has gone for a toss,perhaps of the following reasons:

1>Sirac being quite heavier than Zappers,pickup and power seem to have reduced.

2>Having front Tire as Sirac may not be the best choice as it makes the the whole thing for off roads,hence performance on Tarmac is compromised.
Thats why the handle seems a little heavy,guess dont need to have that much of grip in front.

3>Front being 3.00 must be an oversize coupled by the fact of it being a rear tire.

Thats why I must change the front Tire to something more suitable,would pay a visit to the same Tire shop this Sat to explore the options.
Need something light which does provide equally good grip on wet and dry
Old 26th August 2011, 01:07   #1768
Distinguished - BHPian

funkykar

Sorry to see your chrome rusting that way.
As was mentioned you can talk to RE about the factory parts but your probably on your own with the aftermarket parts.

You can check around to see what the cost of replating the parts would be but it may be as expensive as the original cost of the parts. On the other hand, if you do have it replated I'm sure they would provide much thicker plating than the original part(s) so it would have the rust protection it originally should have had.

There must be some rust removing polishes available which would allow you to polish off the rust. I know of several that are available in the U.S. so I would expect some of these to be available in India.
If not, a bronze or steel wool could be used gently if you can find it.

Because the chrome plating (and some painting) is so thin I strongly recommend using several coats of a good paste wax on the parts.
This includes your wheel rims and spokes.

Waxes will not tolerate the heat of an exhaust pipe or silencer but it works very well on any other painted or chrome plated parts. It also works well on the polished aluminum parts on the engine.

Having wax on all exposed parts also makes it much easier to wash off the grime and dirt on a motorcycle.
If soap is used for washing the bike don't forget to apply a new coating of wax after your done.
(I often wax all of the chrome, polished aluminum and painted parts on my bike just to make sure it is fully protected. Wax is something that breaks down with time even in dry weather and having many coats just improves it.)
Old 26th August 2011, 02:22   #1769
BHPian

Ola Jim,

Que Pasa? Ok, thats all the Spanish I know. I lived in the states for a few years, and I never saw an Enfield, though I was always looked out for one. Has any Indian ever spotted you and walked up to compliment you on your fine bike:-) ?
Old 26th August 2011, 17:20   #1770
BHPian

I have been following this thread for almost two months now... A huge applaud and thanks to Randhawa for sharing your experience and starting off this thread. Also would like to appreciate all the other Team-BHPians for sharing their inputs, it definitely did help me take a concrete decision of booking my CL500

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks