Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2011, 11:57   #1651
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
For all RE owners, while the key is inserted in the ignition key hole, it should not have any heavy dangling key chains. Preferrably only a ring with a removable clasp......!!

the irony is that the ignition switch is of so bad quality, that even with just the bike key, it will get loose in sometime.

I has similar experience with my machismo, and after that, i have separated my IGNITION key from the rest of the key bunch, by a thin metal chain. I have made a provision on the bike with a hook, where the rest of key bunch gets secured, and only the ignition key remains in the ignition switch, without any load/stress on that key. Still its become loose. what else but sheer bad quality of part would do that now?

Quote:
However dreams got shattered today when today,a RTR Apache cruised past me on Noida Expressway at around 115 kmph.
What a time to test the new bushes,I opened the throttle,went up-to 110 & just before I could have easily smoked that RTR,Shakira came into play............& heart begun to sank.
Thats sad to hear. Even i was contemplating the STD bushes, but not sure now after your experience. As randhawa and other had pointed out, the shaky rear at high speed is a combined result of a number of paramaters, and may not be rectified by addressing just a single issue. May be you can do some more r&d in that direction to get rid of the shakes, and lets you it works for you.
Old 11th May 2011, 14:46   #1652
BHPian

This issue of fishtailing on C5 has been discussed over various forums all over the world, and the nylon bushes do not seem to be the culprits. Its just that this bike's chassis geometry hangs on a knife's edge, and if it is not set up correctly (even little things like tyre pressure matters), the bike would shake its rear. I have had fairly good results with mantaining 21psi Front and 28 psi Rear tyre pressure. Other things to look into would be correct front and rear wheel alignment, correct tightening of all chassis bolts, rear shockers bolts, rear shocker load settings, wheel tuning so that they are true and do not have any distortions (read "lehek" in Hindi) etc.
Old 12th May 2011, 01:28   #1653
BHPian

@Nasir:
I seriously believe now that trying various things is just a hit & trial method,the real cause of imbalance is still hidden deep under the design of this motorcycle.
Taking care of various things is just like trying to suppress malaria by a Crocin.

There is something seriously wrong,though personally I was quite sure that this modification is certainly going to get the desired results,however it didn't.

Meanwhile the news of Thunderbird 500 has further agitated my thoughts of how timid we C5 owners have to feel in future where you have got a gun but cant fire twice because the barrel tends to burst(read cant ride faster coz you going to screw yourself).

@Bradhey:
Would try a lower pressure in rear tire,though I prefer 22,32.
I hope RE one day comes with the solution
Old 13th May 2011, 08:13   #1654
BHPian

Guys,
Just got myself a CL 500 15 days back and its a joy to ride. I have a peculiar problem with the electric start. Last two long rides ( duration wise) in mumbai start stop traffic the ES refused to operate ( totally dead) when the engine was stopped and an immediate restart was attempted. The bike started with the first kick but the starter was not turning at all?
Any reason this should happen. Have no problems with the ES after that. No EPC light on during the failed ES, both times the engine started with the first kick. The bike has done 380 Kms.
Any thoughts , suggestions?
thanks,

FZ
Old 13th May 2011, 10:22   #1655
BHPian

Looks like I'm victim to the jerk issue as well. . Had a few jerks in choc a block traffic over the last few days. I've done about 1300 kms so far. List of issues encountered:

1. Headlight mis-wiring. Manufacturing defect. Fixed.
2. Paint peeling off around the fuel tank cap. ??
3. Chain guard sound Known issue. To be fixed.
4. Air filter box blowing out ??
5. Jerking Known issue. TO be fixed.

Hope the list stays short!

Ram
Old 13th May 2011, 10:25   #1656
BANNED

@Frank Zappa: Loose battery connections. Start from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran View Post
4. Air filter box blowing out ??
What is that?

Last edited by Spitfire : 13th May 2011 at 10:26.
Old 13th May 2011, 10:57   #1657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
What is that?
Link to my post about that:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2324610
Old 17th May 2011, 14:25   #1658
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I brought myself a Classic 500 very recently and have a few troubles so far.

1. Headlight mis-wiring/Battery was dead : Just after 50 kms of running bike refused to start. Dealer came to my home the next day and took my bike and he told battery was dead and they also confirmed that they checked wiring.
2.Once the first service was done , I started to experience Jerking Issue.
3. After 1000 Kms , Bike stopped and refused to start , Mechanics from the dealership came to my place next day and said both Spark Plugs are gone and they replaced one of them and took the bike to service station.
4. Air filter box blowing out? Even I have this issue , the answer I got from the service guy was it is normal and no need to worry .
5. Jerking Known issue. TO be fixed : I never got any convincing answer for this issue till now.

I am totally frustrated with the pathetic quality and support of Royal Enfield .

I request all you experts to suggest something to get out of this
Old 17th May 2011, 16:44   #1659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
1. Dealer came to my home the next day and took my bike and he told battery was dead and they also confirmed that they checked wiring.
Who's the dealer?

Quote:
3. After 1000 Kms , Bike stopped and refused to start , Mechanics from the dealership came to my place next day and said both Spark Plugs are gone and they replaced one of them and took the bike to service station.
Try using a decarbonising additive once in a while when you tank up.

Quote:
5. Jerking Known issue. TO be fixed : I never got any convincing answer for this issue till now.
Correct warming up after starting up the C5 after a long time does wonders. Start with the choke on when the bike is cool. Release the choke after start, and idle for at least a minute. I've had good results with this method. And on days I don't warm up correctly, I've had jerks.
reswaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 17:19   #1660
BHPian

Saw this post on another forum about "enhanced" swing arm bushes which "solves" the instability.
My new Royal Enfield Classic 500 EFi !! - Page 369 - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring

Any comments?
Old 18th May 2011, 14:33   #1661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Who's the dealer?

Try using a decarbonising additive once in a while when you tank up.

Correct warming up after starting up the C5 after a long time does wonders. Start with the choke on when the bike is cool. Release the choke after start, and idle for at least a minute. I've had good results with this method. And on days I don't warm up correctly, I've had jerks.
Dealer : Teknik Motors Indira Nagar.

They replaced the Spark Plugs again with Imported(According to Service Manager,RE) Bosch Spark Plugs. He assured that it will resolve Jerk issue and these spark plugs will not fail. I have been filling petrol only from trustable Shell bunk.

He also assured if it fails again bike would be sent to Head office , for R&D.

Please suggest what I should do following are some of the options I am looking at,

1.Sell this beast if I get back whatever I have invested.
2.Fight with RE to fix all the issues that I face.

I don’t like to spend too much time on taking care of these problems, I know any RE bike would need some time but if problems are not major one then I can take care of them.
If major failures like Engine failure, Sparkplug failures are out of my bandwidth and such issues reduces my confidence to take it for long rides(I would say any 150cc bike would be morethan sufficient in such situations).

Request all you experts to help me out.

Last edited by funkykar : 18th May 2011 at 14:37.
Old 19th May 2011, 14:13   #1662
BHPian

I had a scary moment today with the rear brake pedal scraping the road while cornering. Has someone here done anything about that?
Old 20th May 2011, 09:08   #1663
BHPian

hi,
for air filter box blowing out company has come with a solution long time ago,don't know if you know about it?This is sort of plastic box shaped covering placed above airfilter and below the box lid.Its free of cost ask for it from your dealer if not got one so.
iam attaching the image of it.

Quote:
Guys,

I brought myself a Classic 500 very recently and have a few troubles so far.

1. Headlight mis-wiring/Battery was dead : Just after 50 kms of running bike refused to start. Dealer came to my home the next day and took my bike and he told battery was dead and they also confirmed that they checked wiring.
2.Once the first service was done , I started to experience Jerking Issue.
4. Air filter box blowing out? Even I have this issue , the answer I got from the service guy was it is normal and no need to worry .

I am totally frustrated with the pathetic quality and support of Royal Enfield .

I request all you experts to suggest something to get out of this
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-new-box.jpg  

Old 20th May 2011, 11:16   #1664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratikjammy87 View Post
hi,
for air filter box blowing out company has come with a solution long time ago,don't know if you know about it?This is sort of plastic box shaped covering placed above airfilter and below the box lid.Its free of cost ask for it from your dealer if not got one so.
iam attaching the image of it.
AFAIK, the plastic box cover is to make up for the filter placement, and keep out excess dust. It has nothing to do with the blow out. I have the filter box you have shown, mine is a "new generation C5". And in spite of that, I faced a blow out.
Old 20th May 2011, 21:00   #1665
BHPian

hi,
as per my talks with RE people for fitting it into my vehicle i was given the reason of air filter box blowing.

Quote:
AFAIK, the plastic box cover is to make up for the filter placement, and keep out excess dust. It has nothing to do with the blow out. I have the filter box you have shown, mine is a "new generation C5". And in spite of that, I faced a blow out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks