Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2011, 12:19   #1606
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Start from changing the spark plug to a new one first.
Thank you, but any idea about the plug numbers?
Old 29th April 2011, 13:17   #1607
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
Thank you, but any idea about the plug numbers?
What brand does yours have? I am guessing they should be NGK.

Part No: NGK BPR5ES or CPR7EA-9
Old 29th April 2011, 13:43   #1608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
hmnn. EFI V/S CARB.

Wonder why instead of moving ahead, we are bent on going backwards.

A carburetor is now an almost obsolete technology, and EFI is the way forward. RE instead of fixing the niggles with EFI ,are taking the easier route, going a step backwards to carburetors.

Having owned a carbed machismo 350, and a EFI C5, Both have their on positives and niggles, but i still feel that EFI has an edge over the carb. RE should try and improve on the EFI system, rather then giving customers outdated technology. Most of the problems associated with the C5 EFI are a result of lack of support system for the EFI like the missing oxygen sensor. (lembda).

a carb can never match the throttle response of an EFI. A carbed bike will have issues of cold start, excessive choke usage, overflows, etc. A carbed bike will have trouble breathing depending on the altitude, and will never be self adjusting. 1% of us may be well equipped to deal with upgradation of Jets in a carb in suck situations, but what about the 99%? A carburetor is a mechanical system hence prone to cloggin, faulty float, mis-adjustments of needle, petrol leakage, etc. A proper EFI may also give better fuel average over long distances. Like up-jetting of carbs, even the EFI mapping can be tweaked to play around with the power outputs.

A carb is definitely a tried and tested technology, and most of the mechanics have figured-out how to tweak/repair is, but EFI is the future. Lets ask RE for better EFI systems rather then obsolete technology.

How many of the general RE users are in to tracks anyways??

, how many CL500 owners are facing this trouble with the EFI ?
Old 29th April 2011, 14:31   #1609
BHPian

The trouble of bike jerking and hesitating (some in case of dense traffic, and others at high speed) are all but problems of incorrect fueling. Even though this may involve a sooted spark plug to blame, but we all know when and why spark plugs soot and turn black, don't we ?

If the technology is perfect as in case of Triumph Bonneville and many other motorcycles, I am not against modernization of bikes and the use of EFI, but when my old carbureted Bullet behaves with better manners, in comparision to my EFI which may make me look like a complete "nausikhiya" or someone who does not know how to ride a 1.5 lac motorcycle, I feel elated with such backward integration of carburetors instead of EFIs.
Old 29th April 2011, 14:52   #1610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
What brand does yours have? I am guessing they should be NGK.

Part No: NGK BPR5ES or CPR7EA-9
No, it's Mico. Can I substitute the MICO ones with the above mentioned NGK plugs?
Old 29th April 2011, 15:16   #1611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the technology is perfect as in case of Triumph Bonneville and many other motorcycles, I am not against modernization of bikes and the use of EFI, but when my old carbureted Bullet behaves with better manners, in comparision to my EFI which may make me look like a complete "nausikhiya" or someone who does not know how to ride a 1.5 lac motorcycle, I feel elated with such backward integration of carburetors instead of EFIs.
The issue is indeed debatable. And RE will keep feeding us junk as long as we are happily accepting/showing interest.

RE did not make the UCEs cos they wanted to improve on their half a century old engine designs. They made it cos they were forced to do so by the modern emission norms. What if a norm is issued to slowly wipe-out the carbs with the efi. What then?
I dont think any of the modern cars are running on cabs anymore, including nano. how come they dont jerk and misfire. Eventually EFIs will replace the Carbs in the bikes as well. Right now it may be a little costly affair to integrate in the 100cc bikes, but eventually they all will. Its like how we dont get to see anymore CRT monitors anymore.

Personally, even i am sick of all the jerks, and hesitations on my C5, but there is not much point in blaming FI as technology. The solution is NOT switching back to carbs, but improving the EFI system. We need to blame RE for poor/incomplete integration of EFI on the C5. My point is unless we make noise and demand better products and systems from RE, they will keep feeding us the junk, and we will be happily accepting them.

A well designed EFI system is a blessing, and exmples like bonnie strengthen the fact.
Old 29th April 2011, 17:55   #1612
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
No, it's Mico. Can I substitute the MICO ones with the above mentioned NGK plugs?
Yes you can.

Only if the MICO one is not available.

Can you paste the rating on the plug on your bike.

I saw two plugs both are different for the same bike. Call the SE and ask the part number.

Remember MICO plugs rating are opposite to NGKs.

MICO: Higher Rating - Hotter Plug.
NGK: Higher Rating - Colder Plug.
Old 30th April 2011, 06:23   #1613
BHPian

@ nasirkaka - I totally agree with you when if comes to EFI,I some how feel that although my C5 aswell jerks around here n there,it is the future.I feel is the EFI is backed up with better mapping and tweaked and tuned,there would be nothing like it. A carb will always have to be worked upon and the prone to damages of the the pins,needles and all the parts,And my personal experience yes although it gives hassles its less troublesome than a carb and gives better mileage ,we just need to work toward it.
Im a fairly new to RE,but definitely not new to carb engines, EFI is way to ahead of it in every way.

I see that your in Bangalore,I would love to catch up some time for knowledge sharing and working out the pros and cons..
Old 30th April 2011, 10:55   #1614
BHPian

I still feel that because the Bullet C5 comes from a company have pathetic service centers, dumb "hit and try" mechanics, high failure ratio and very bad and expensive parts availability, the C5 with a "carb" will be more "India Friendly" bike than the EFI, because it will be easier to mantain. And by the way, we are not on race track where little difference in performance would matter too much. When a UCE 350 can cruise along side a C5, I do not see why a carbureted version will fall too far behind the EFI version............................. In short I welcome the Carbureted UCE 500 as much as I would like to see all RE bikes with EFIs in future, when they have a better set up for such machines.
Old 30th April 2011, 18:41   #1615
BHPian

I have been informed production of CL 500 has been stopped over a month due to Tsunami in Japan and will start only after 8 months. Any news reg? I was soo eager in taking delivary this week :-(
Old 30th April 2011, 20:12   #1616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
I still feel that because the Bullet C5 comes from a company have pathetic service centers, dumb "hit and try" mechanics, high failure ratio and very bad and expensive parts availability, the C5 with a "carb" will be more "India Friendly" bike than the EFI, because it will be easier to mantain. And by the way, we are not on race track where little difference in performance would matter too much. When a UCE 350 can cruise along side a C5, I do not see why a carbureted version will fall too far behind the EFI version............................. In short I welcome the Carbureted UCE 500 as much as I would like to see all RE bikes with EFIs in future, when they have a better set up for such machines.
A UCE 350 CANNOT cruise alongside a C5. The UCE 350 offers strictly commuter performance.
Old 2nd May 2011, 02:13   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
hmnn. EFI V/S CARB.

Wonder why instead of moving ahead, we are bent on going backwards.
A well designed EFI system is a blessing, and exmples like bonnie strengthen the fact.
Well said Nasir,I totally agree with your thoughts,RE would be literally make fool of us by showing gems & selling stones(read showing EFI and giving carbs)

We must protest this,someone might be comfortable in maintaining a carb version,many aren't & most importantly are we trying to reinvent wheel.
EFI is way better than Carb & that's an established fact.

I feel pity on RE that they developed such a class of a website just for their flagship model C5 featuring EFI,huh & landing up back to carbs.

500 cc carb version would majorly only have UCE to have an upper hand over Machismo 500 & a grave like pathetic, dancing chassis to differ.
In fact till date If you take my opinion,my biggest issue is this dancing chassis(fatal) rather than any jerks & misfires.

If RE has guts,it should rather source O2 sensor or should remap its sensor chip to eradicate this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
the C5 with a "carb" will be more "India Friendly" bike than the EFI, because it will be easier to mantain.
I do very well understand your point,which is valid in current scenario,however bro think of the way & reasons C5 won our heart in the beginning and back to carb is like some typical jugaad for our darling.

Meanwhile my question still is left unattended,should I get the swing arm bushes changed,have purchased standard ones.

A little apprehensive about the outcome
Some tips pls.....Randhawa,we miss you.
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:51   #1618
Senior - BHPian

can i convert my Fuel Injection to a carborated classic ?

if yes, how much will it cost and what are its pros and cons.

I am not enjoying the Fuel Injection on my bull.

cheers,
ac
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:30   #1619
BHPian

Surprised to see so may people facing issues of Misfiring with the EFI. Mine never gave me those problems. My major gripe was how uneasy the bike felt when it was crossing 110 and while changing lanes. It was like loosing control many a times.
Old 3rd May 2011, 19:34   #1620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
I have been informed production of CL 500 has been stopped over a month due to Tsunami in Japan and will start only after 8 months. Any news reg? I was soo eager in taking delivary this week :-(
i genuinely wish you are wrong on that one. i had booked my second c5 green and its due next week. crossing my fingers here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks