Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2011, 21:52   #1591
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator_47 View Post
On a recent ride,even my C5's air filter box blew open so badly that even the lock had broken.
I wonder how cheap products have been brought to use while building C5.
Luckily had one string at that hour of night,to tie the filter box cover.
Wonder whats the reason for the cover being blown up.
Yep...On further inspection, I noticed that the lock has been damaged very badly. Is this due to back pressure? I've always warmed up the engine before a ride, and I've not ridden hard so far. What I'm worried about is that the air filter box cover blowing out could be just a minor symptom to a much bigger problem. Any opinions? I'm yet to take her to the RE service centre..
Old 26th April 2011, 06:27   #1592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran View Post
Something weird happened today. I was on a usual inside-the-city ride, riding on a light throttle, not hard at all. At an intersection, I slowed down and shifted down. When I opened the throttle, there was a pop and the air filter box blew open. I stopped and tried to close the box, but the key would simply not fit into the lock. Anybody experienced something like this on their C5?

BTW, my C5 run just about 800 kms.
It happened to me 3 or 4 times the air filter box comes out due to the vibrations caused in the body,I have noticed it popping right out of the lock on high revs.. I tried a simple step to fix it for now,once you lock the box I pull the box outwards so that its firm and stuck tight,It leaves a little gap as-well if you noticed,I haven't had the problem since 300+ kms,this may be a temp work around but surely is not a permanent fix.I'm always paranoid about it sticking back out if sometimes you want to rev it up.
Old 26th April 2011, 09:29   #1593
BHPian

^ If unlocking by vibration, rotate the lock assy to have the tab inside facing downwards when locked. Or is it popping open? tool box pressurized to blow open- like old Avl's spit out carbs.
Old 26th April 2011, 11:06   #1594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
^ If unlocking by vibration, rotate the lock assy to have the tab inside facing downwards when locked. Or is it popping open? tool box pressurized to blow open- like old Avl's spit out carbs.
It popped open, with a loud pop sound. The lock assy is damaged. Will be taking her to the SC tomorrow.
Old 27th April 2011, 13:22   #1595
BHPian

Is there any way i can get a toe-only shifter[as in the pic] for my C5 in India?
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-2010_royal_enfield_bullet_c5_military_olive_green.jpg  

Old 27th April 2011, 14:13   #1596
BHPian

Buy Online. get its brake pedal as well. both are neat unlike cheapo stuff here.
Old 27th April 2011, 18:30   #1597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Buy Online. get its brake pedal as well. both are neat unlike cheapo stuff here.
Please share link of the source if you know it. Thanks.
Old 28th April 2011, 13:36   #1598
BHPian

Hi, This a pic of a fellow bhpian's RE, just deadly. Iam planning to buy CL 500 { Getting delayed cause some EC has not come due to Tsunami in Japan and production is delayed according to Southern motors } by next week hopefully. I want it to be mod like this deadly Machine, especially the handlebar/ rear mudguard. Any ideas how to go about it and changes needed is welcome. Anybody, any idea about the place these mods can be carried out in Chennai ? Thanks.
Dr.Jones
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-gold.jpg  

Old 28th April 2011, 19:10   #1599
Senior - BHPian

According to reliable sources in RE's Bangalore Brand Store, a Carbed UCE500 Classic is due shortly.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 28th April 2011, 20:56   #1600
BHPian

How short Jay? should I wait for it ? or go for this present classic, cause hearing soo many probs with the fuel injection.
Dr.Jones
Old 28th April 2011, 22:09   #1601
BHPian

i suggest that you wait bro, cos the kind of horror stories i hear with regards to the fuel injection it may not be worth it. why dont you consider the c350 in case the carb c500 is delayed? i hear that its a very very reliable and great machine to own and ride.

you can always have the c350 head ported a bit to give you that extra bit or punch am sure.
Old 29th April 2011, 09:34   #1602
BHPian

Thanks bro for your advice. The point is I have a P200, I wanna upgrade to a more powerful naked bike, certainly not any sports set up with fairings, this side of 2 lacs, any suggestions for that? Or should I go in for a Electra twin spark ?
Dr.Jones

Last edited by drjones : 29th April 2011 at 09:36.
Old 29th April 2011, 11:41   #1603
BHPian

Guys, I have a problem with my UCE 350 Electra. One of the twin spark plugs is not firing properly (the left hand side one). This results in the engine spluttering and sometimes going dead, especially in the first two gears. Also, I am unable to start the bike without using the Choke. My authorised RE service centre is around 200 kms away, in Mysore.

However, after cleaning and fitting the spark plug back, the bike runs fine (this does not help the staring problem) or a day and again the same thing happens.

The plug seems ok, the local mechanic says so.

I called the SE and he says that it might be due to the following:

1. The metal shield around the spark plug cap might in touch with ground
Checked it, its OK

2. The carburetor jet is blocked
Had got it cleaned

By the way, are the spark plugs on the CL5 the same as on a UCE350?
Plug details are not mentioned in the manual.

Any suggestions, friends? I need your help.
Old 29th April 2011, 11:45   #1604
Senior - BHPian

hmnn. EFI V/S CARB.

Wonder why instead of moving ahead, we are bent on going backwards.

A carburetor is now an almost obsolete technology, and EFI is the way forward. RE instead of fixing the niggles with EFI ,are taking the easier route, going a step backwards to carburetors.

Having owned a carbed machismo 350, and a EFI C5, Both have their on positives and niggles, but i still feel that EFI has an edge over the carb. RE should try and improve on the EFI system, rather then giving customers outdated technology. Most of the problems associated with the C5 EFI are a result of lack of support system for the EFI like the missing oxygen sensor. (lembda).

a carb can never match the throttle response of an EFI. A carbed bike will have issues of cold start, excessive choke usage, overflows, etc. A carbed bike will have trouble breathing depending on the altitude, and will never be self adjusting. 1% of us may be well equipped to deal with upgradation of Jets in a carb in suck situations, but what about the 99%? A carburetor is a mechanical system hence prone to cloggin, faulty float, mis-adjustments of needle, petrol leakage, etc. A proper EFI may also give better fuel average over long distances. Like up-jetting of carbs, even the EFI mapping can be tweaked to play around with the power outputs.

A carb is definitely a tried and tested technology, and most of the mechanics have figured-out how to tweak/repair is, but EFI is the future. Lets ask RE for better EFI systems rather then obsolete technology.

How many of the general RE users are in to tracks anyways??

Last edited by nasirkaka : 29th April 2011 at 11:48.
Old 29th April 2011, 12:14   #1605
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
Any suggestions, friends? I need your help.
Start from changing the spark plug to a new one first.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks