Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 17:16   #1546
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Hi,

I bought a classic 500 black second hand (6 months old 300kms on the odometer) and would like to put on a good pair of tyres that can perform well in the monsoons (slippery wet concrete being the major problem in mumbai). I heard great things about pirelli tyres and sirac on these forums as well as others?

My problem is I love the classic look of the spoked wheels but I dislike tubed tyres . Do these tuffup tubes work better? I really don't want to stand around on roads looking to fix a puncture.

If I do opt for tubeless tyres does anyone have any specific recommendations in mind?
Old 7th April 2011, 15:23   #1547
Senior - BHPian

@Arun- You can fit an alternative K&N filter(E-0900) but you wont be able to fit the black filter cover then. Till now there is no OEM size replacement filter available from k&N. Search this thread for K&N filter fitment procedure.

@Harish- Look in page 93 post 1391 for clarification.

@reswaran- Welcome abord Yeah quality check is just a metaphor for RE the way they are going.

@Adises- Why do you dislike tube tyre so much! They are not that bad. Even if you have a tube less tyre, you wont carry a puncture repair kit at all times along with a pump.

Don't go for alloys, it will kill the C5 looks and the charm it has with the wired wheels. Plus the downside of alloys is that you cant trust them when off-roading and they can get bend quite easily without much hope of getting it aligned again and you will end up spending again on a new set. One day you will get bored with the alloys and then you will struggle to get a new pair wired wheels and they will cost you a lot.

I have advised people against it but those who have gone for alloys are looking for wired wheels after 6 months.

Re tyres- Go for M Sirac, they will perform quite well in wet but Pirelli Sport demon is also a good choice.
Old 7th April 2011, 17:32   #1548
BHPian

^ wrf post#1391. See the spark plug upgrade procedure steps 4 to 6, I wonder why disconnect battery & test function all electricals for a plug change?
Old 7th April 2011, 17:43   #1549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Re tyres- Go for M Sirac, they will perform quite well in wet but Pirelli Sport demon is also a good choice.
Any good options in 19 inchers? Both the above tyres are available only till 18 inches for rear tyre.
Old 7th April 2011, 18:41   #1550
Senior - BHPian

@Rennjit- BPP is used in Non EFI vehicles and may be there is something to do with any charge left in the electrical system which needs to be discharged for saving the ECU from any kind of E pulse.

@Ricky- Not many options with 19 I guess but could try Dunlop, Avon or if you can import from UK then Continental. Conti has over 17 different tyres in 19 from 90 to 110 in 4-6 patterns. That would be the best bet.
Old 7th April 2011, 19:43   #1551
BHPian

What is the update on the proposed new colours for CL500, any info on when they will be available, anyone.. I've booked for the green and due delivery in May, might change my mind after looking at the chrome/maroon version in flesh..
Old 7th April 2011, 21:53   #1552
Senior - BHPian

I have tried digging up on the new versions release and I could not get any info on it. Feeling is that new variants are going to be delayed till Diwali.
Old 8th April 2011, 05:40   #1553
BHPian

I was wondering if anyone here has fixed an RPM meter and a fuel gauge on the C5,Is it possible to fix one like the one on the Tbird,IF yes what are the costs involved,I would love to have those fixed
Old 8th April 2011, 11:00   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Sanjeet implanted the ammeter on his bull. You can search for his posts on the thread. I know it isn't exactly what you are looking for, but might help get you started in the right direction.
Old 9th April 2011, 10:23   #1555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epvineesh View Post
I was wondering if anyone here has fixed an RPM meter and a fuel gauge on the C5,Is it possible to fix one like the one on the Tbird,IF yes what are the costs involved,I would love to have those fixed
I tried the RPM meter from TBTS once but results were negative as I found out later the reason behind the absurd readings. Fitting the fuel level sensor is the easy part but you can not fix the TBTS F sensor unless you want to chop the tank because of the shape of the sensor which is squared rather then a circular hole as on our C5. There are few F sensor available in India which can be easily fitted.

But if you can live with the big meter(rpm tbts) hanging around the head then it's quit reasonable to do the mod under 2k.

If I ever get the time to make the TBTS RPM meter work then I'll let you know.
Old 10th April 2011, 07:24   #1556
BHPian

@Randhawa I have decided to stick to the spoked wheels

Yesterday a friend of mine showed me how to do minor maintenance on the bike myself..changed the oil filter and oil. Showed how to remove clutch/throttle cables in the event they break and some basic information on the essential parts. He also installed a Philips 100/90 bulb in my headlight with a separate electrical line going to the battery (Has its own step-up and fuses). It was a great feeling working on the bike and learning how do basic tasks. .

Even though the bike is just 6 months old and had done 300 kms the oil was black and sludgy, the bike felt a lot smoother with the new oil (Motul 3000 4T plus 15W50).

It seems to be running a bit fast on idle the friend said he will adjust it next time we meet. Am planning on installing the upswept exhaust.
Old 10th April 2011, 12:21   #1557
Senior - BHPian

An Observation.

To add to the my ONLY trouble of jerks and missing beat, now what i see is whenever i go over an incline from a flat surface, ( an up-hill road/going up from basement of a parking lot/ or even the first half of a steep speed breaker) the bike misses a beat, as if there was no IGNOTION on that particular stroke. This is very prominent and happens almost 95% of the times while going from flat surface to an incline.
Checked the spark plugs and they seem to be the usual. My gut feeling says that when front part of the bike goes up on an incline, there is something physically happening to some part of the fuel injection system which is preventing smooth spray. However, its just a feel and i am not sure how to dig further on it.

This issue is getting on my nerves as a few days back, i almost fell. from my building basement parking i was going out. The ramp is steep and also curves. while going up, the bike missed a beat and felt that the engine would cut-off. i gave a bit of throttle and it continued. But at the time when it missed a beat, i was turning at the ramp incline, and the missed beat gave some breaking effect on the bike cos of which i almost lost balance. somehow managed to accelerate and continue.

Any ideal on where to look for to sort out this issue of missing a beat followed by jerks, especially on an incline??
Old 10th April 2011, 13:19   #1558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
An Observation.

This issue is getting on my nerves as a few days back, i almost fell. from my building basement parking i was going out. The ramp is steep and also curves. while going up, the bike missed a beat and felt that the engine would cut-off.

Any idea on where to look for to sort out this issue of missing a beat followed by jerks, especially on an incline??
I have observed missing on my bike, but only in slow traffic, where one would control speed by rolling on and off the throttle. In such conditions at times when I roll on the throttle, the bike misses slightly (jerks) and then moves on easily. I initially thought it was the clutch problem, but everything seems to be alright there.

So on my next visit (15th April) I am going to have my injector cleaned. If things improve I'll share it with you.
Old 10th April 2011, 19:01   #1559
BHPian

Hi Randhawa: I got my clutch overhauled recently and checked the clutch push pad, which as you said is not round but flat on two sides, however I did not find anything wrong with it. But, I did see that the lever which actuates it (and is installed in the primary cover) sometimes does not pushes it completely, which results in a "sticking gear shift" so to say.

I am of the opinion that the clutch push pad does not go into any lay shaft (as you suggested in one of your posts on page 97 of this thread), but it simply pushes the entire clutch basket inside, so that the clutch disengages from the final drive......pls correct me if I am wrong, but my impression is that it is too short to even reach the lay shaft. Await your comments. Thanks

Last edited by bradhey : 10th April 2011 at 19:04.
Old 10th April 2011, 23:33   #1560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
Any good options in 19 inchers? Both the above tyres are available only till 18 inches for rear tyre.
Try getting a "Pirelli scorpion" ( have it on my brother's L 535 ). Got it in Dehradun for about 3000 Rs. It is a medium agressive offroad capable tyre with excellent performnace in the wet and under braking. I had posted some images of the 18" variant on this forum last May.

Regards
Naren
hexanerax is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks