Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2011, 11:42   #1531
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

@Bradhey- I am just waiting for RE to stop going down on quality so in mean time I am just observing the new good and bad improvements they are throwing at us to sum up later in one go. They improve one thing and go down on another. So it's wait and watch situation as I did found another issue with the head and I am just furious about it. Really winds me up so sending an e-mail to RE shortly with drawings of the troubled part and I'll let you all know what they say. High probability of them refuting this issue so I will let you people decide on it later.

I know exactly what kind of jerks you mean and I have explained about it earlier under the Bosch Platinum plus post.

It's due to the ECU response time and rich/lean mixture at times and you can't help much in that case but if at constant speed your bike hiccups then its a plug thing and Bosch PP will sort it out.

Regarding the shifting issue I had again explained about it after doing some R&D on the clutch assembly. No need to change anything just play around with clutch push pad or in worse case replace it with new one. Check the post where I had explained about it earlier.

How often do you ride hard?
Old 27th March 2011, 12:29   #1532
BHPian

Home sweet home..

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-tbhp7.jpg

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-500-fb1.jpg

Plastic Chain cover

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-tbhp5.jpg

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-tbhp2.jpg

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-tbhp3.jpg

Look at the paint quality.. it might peel off any moment..

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-tbhp6.jpg

Missing C stand weld plate?? Or is it there actually? I cant read coz i havent seen the older version. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-tbhp1.jpg  

Last edited by aruncheloor : 27th March 2011 at 12:32.
Old 27th March 2011, 13:13   #1533
Senior - BHPian

You have the extra plates welded onto the frame. Search the thread for older pictures without the plates.
Old 27th March 2011, 18:16   #1534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@Bradhey- I am just waiting for RE to stop going down on quality so in mean time I am just observing the new good and bad improvements they are throwing at us to sum up later in one go. They improve one thing and go down on another. So it's wait and watch situation as I did found another issue with the head and I am just furious about it. Really winds me up so sending an e-mail to RE shortly with drawings of the troubled part and I'll let you all know what they say. High probability of them refuting this issue so I will let you people decide on it later.

I know exactly what kind of jerks you mean and I have explained about it earlier under the Bosch Platinum plus post.

It's due to the ECU response time and rich/lean mixture at times and you can't help much in that case but if at constant speed your bike hiccups then its a plug thing and Bosch PP will sort it out.

Regarding the shifting issue I had again explained about it after doing some R&D on the clutch assembly. No need to change anything just play around with clutch push pad or in worse case replace it with new one. Check the post where I had explained about it earlier.

How often do you ride hard?
If it is due to the ECU response time, its one bad example of advancement in technology. My carbureted Electra is way smooth and will never hiccup until short on fuel. Though at constant speeds, its never the case.

Surprisingly my stock plugs are never sooted and have perfect colour on their porcelain tips.

As for the clutch push pad: If what you say is true, then if I grab the clutch and shift down from 5th to 1st (without releasing the clutch at all) why is it that some gears shift smoothly, while others seem to get stuck.

If the push pad had not slotted correctly into the layshaft, then I should experience notchy shifting in all gears,,,,, isn't it ???? However that is not the case. But, I will certainly check this part out on my next service.

I seldom ride the bike hard, as the higher gearing does not allow me to run her freely in all gears, because of the traffic in my city. Any suggestions.
Old 27th March 2011, 19:20   #1535
Senior - BHPian

Problem with the push pad and lay shaft is that when you engage clutch, the layshaft is rotating and when the push pad goes in at certain points around its outer circumference it gets stuck in the layshaft and does not idle or should I say does not free up the layshaft from the clutch. You need to read the post about it or I should find another way to explain it. But when you will get it opened and then check, you will understand exactly what I meant if that is what creating problem in your bike.

I seldom ride the bike hard, as the higher gearing does not allow me to run her freely in all gears, because of the traffic in my city. Any suggestions.

Get a 17T sprocket and you will have plenty of revs to play with as it will lower the gearing just a tad bit. Check the sprocket ratio chart I had posted earlier[/b]
Old 27th March 2011, 22:59   #1536
BHPian

Quote:
You have the extra plates welded onto the frame. Search the thread for older pictures without the plates.
Oops. My mistake then. Sorry.
Old 28th March 2011, 13:42   #1537

Hi All,
I have been closely following this thread since it started and hats off to all of you, who have taken the time and effort in providing the Bullet C5 community all this knowledge and support.

I have a Maroon C5 which I bought in Aug last year. I have been unfortunate to be a victim of the black smoke from exhaust issue, misfiring issue, instability issue, but did not pay much heed to them until I followed this thread closely.

I have clocked 3000+ kms on the bike till now.

Regarding the black smoke, I thought if the bike was running rich on fuel, providing it with more air would provide releif, so I went in for the K&N stock replacement, but in vain.
I have also got the Bosch Platinum (WR8DP), plug installed (followed step-by-step instruction given by Randhwa. Thanks for that).

As an update, when I went to the service station to get my Spark plug replaced, they gave me a black plastic box to cover the Air filter. Since in the C5 the filter is not mounted directly on the air intake, there was a lot of possbility of dust being sucked directly into the air filter, so the RE folks said that the company was providing this black plastic box to all C5 owners now, free of cost. (This plastic cover is triangular in shape and fits like a glove, covering the airfilter as well as the intake, will post pics later).

I just wanted an opinion on whether this will prove useful or will be counterproductive to the airflow?
Old 28th March 2011, 13:59   #1538
BHPian

@Randhawa : Thanks for sharing the information. The ECU must be really bad on the RE, because none of my ECU cars have this problem..........except one Honda.
Could it be because they both share the ECU from the same company, Keihin
Old 28th March 2011, 14:59   #1539
Senior - BHPian

help: c5 needs repairs.

hey guys,

yesterday, i did a impromptu trip to shirdi and back. mumbai - shirid mumbai around 540 kms.

en-route i met with an accident. now the following needs tobe fixed.
  1. the accelerator has become very hard
  2. the front fork is virbrating as i use the front disc
  3. gear shift not smooth at all

i live in andheri, mumbai, any recommendations to where can i go and get these niggles sorted out.

cheers,
ac
Old 28th March 2011, 16:59   #1540
Senior - BHPian

@Girileo81- You are missing something here with the black smoke issue. If you have honestly gone through the whole thread then you should know what to do about the black smoke

The black filter cover does exactly what it's meant for and it's imperative that you fit it. You really don't want to see the damage done by the dust sucked in without the filter cover.

@Bradhey- Problem is with the mapping and until RE sorts it out the issue will remain. Problem on your honda could be due to some air leak/ bad O2 sensor or something else. As I am sure Honda does not have a black smoke issue.

@Ac- Sorry to hear about the accident. You should take it to your RE workshop to sort it out as parts will be available only at their workshop.
Old 28th March 2011, 23:42   #1541
BHPian

Is there a replacement filter from K&N available for CL500? Or a Universal one? Which number? What are the odds? Thinking of fixing one only after finishing the running-in though.
Old 29th March 2011, 12:05   #1542
BHPian

Nothing comes close to a fine tuned C5, on song on the highway. Had a blast of a ride yesterday. [/b]

A little update on high speed instalbility, I adjusted my tire pressure at 20 psi front and 25 psi rear (no pillion) and the bike was absolutely planted till 120 KPH.
So what I am trying to suggest is that the sharp handling characteristic of the C5 necessitate, that all parameters such as tyre pressure, wheel alignment, shockers, torque on all fastners, are correct. If all the factors are correct then the bike will remain stable. Although I did not have the opportunity to take her upto 140 kph to rule out any possibility of handling problems at even higher speeds.

I really do not think there is any problem with the nylon swing arm bushes, although the CI bushes may make thing even better as experimented by many people I know.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st March 2011 at 18:09. Reason: Use bold only to highlight specific comments/lines
Old 31st March 2011, 14:23   #1543
BHPian

Can any of the very latest owners of C5 such as aruncheloor update a photo (the riders view angle) of the handle bar on their C5. I think RE changed it to a newly designed one. thanks Cheers.
Old 1st April 2011, 00:43   #1544

@ randhawa
im facing a big problem of lot of jerks/misfiring.in my 1st service both plugs r replaced by re svc. They said there r some steps, instruction given by re to change plugs but again second day same prob started.they r not telling wht hav they done step by step, they r saying we cant tell that.
If u hav posted it earlier, plz re-post/copy post. Which r best plugs suitable as of now?
Thanks!

Note from Support. Please take the time to type out full words and sentences. Thanks!
Old 1st April 2011, 11:18   #1545
BHPian

I upgraded from a M800 to a green C5 on wednesday. I am a bullet newbie, and am hoping to keep up with my C5 from the wealth of information posted here.

Quote:
Guess what, my headlight is wired all wrong. the high beam switch activates the low beam and vice versa. How about that for a missing quality check?

PS: Will post pictures over the weekend.
Cheers!
Ram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks