Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2011, 15:54   #1501
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Updates:- Got a reply from the RE customer care in the morning. They gave me the number of the Cochin area Sales manager Mr. Lijin Raj.

I called up this fellow. He was so generous to explain things to me. He told me that only the prototype of the desert variant has been rolled-out from the factory. The mass production dates are yet to be fixed. He told me that we can expect the desert colour by the year-end only.

He told me he could give the number of a higher official who deals this if i need more clarifications. But i didn't want to disturb them more. So, decided not to take down the number.
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:14   #1502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Its down to personal choice.Infact something that the TBTS is comfortable owing to its raised handlebar and smooth looking seat.NOPE.that handlebar is actually not comfortable.The angle at which you hold the grips is all wrong.And the seat-well after about 30kms of riding your tailbone starts to get pressurised by the backplate under that foam.

Oh yes another thing that matters.Whats your own size.I am a large punjabi weighing in well over half of the weight of the bike itself.haha.So it matters if your a thin small guy.You'll be comfy on any and everything.hehehe
Price is not the criteria for him at all (although classic500 is out of question). Just that even I ridden both, TBTS and Electra 500 (Both belongs to my cousin) I like the sitting posture in Electra better than TBTS. But that could just be me as I'm 5'7.

My friend here is about 5"11. Weight is nearing a century (last check was 97 but just had a full Tandoori for lunch + some of my biryani) So what do you suggest for him? Sadly there aren't any new machismos :(

EssYouWe & bradhey....SUPER THANKS FOR YOUR INPUTS!

(We're both sitting here and pressing F5 continuously )
Old 22nd March 2011, 17:25   #1503
Senior - BHPian

I would ideally suggest you take all of them for a test ride.See what suits you on an open road with wind in your hair( although wear a helmet).Thats what RE is all about.Approach every bike with an open mind.and you'll soon have a winner.
Old 22nd March 2011, 17:42   #1504
BHPian

@ navpreet318: Well he saw this and is thanking you deeply. He'll TD all the RE bikes.
Old 22nd March 2011, 19:28   #1505
Senior - BHPian

@Creative- Huh what you saying yarr, if RE had their way I would have been in some detention centre by now for saying/complaining too much as customers of RE are supposed to be very loyal and obedient by there standard.

Now the scene between RE and me is that when I meet a RE official who is known to me, they put up a smiling face but deep inside they hate me now and cringe every time they meet me. It's priceless and I am the most hated customer around who will not stop bothering them until I see something positive coming from their side and I'll keep pointing out to their serious quality issues.

@Adrian- It is not my forum or my thread but a dedicated thread for C5 owners and I hope we keep adding beneficial info on here.

@Navpreet- O2 setup isin't cheap as the sensor alone is around 4k but the more expensive part is the twin cats inside the exhaust although the setup wont cost much to RE. But yes RE is behaving like a stubborn kid with a big EGO.

Most reliable UCE RE bike!

So far the most reliable RE product is TBTS. It had it's share of problems when it was launched 2 years ago. But now I have not seen a single TBTS with serious problems in a years time. Another thing is that for some weird reason their engine is the most smoothest/reliable engine compared to rest of the UCE 350 bikes. Even the mechanics feel the same and all are confused to how or why is that.

Funny incident

My friend was getting his C5 first service done today as I requested him to be there during the whole time. When the mechanic removed the secondary drain plug along with the filter, he found a piece of electric wire 1 inch long with a name etched on it. Thankfully only the outer part of the wire was there and no metal wire inside it.

When he told me about it over the phone, I asked him if he has kept the wire but it got thrown away by the mechanic. I really wanted to post the picture on here and post the wire to RE Quality head for thanksgiving. That shows the ingenuity and frustration of assembly workers.

Last edited by Randhawa : 22nd March 2011 at 19:32.
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:31   #1506
BHPian

Most reliable UCE : Randhawa thanks for seconding me on this one. I am myself as surprised as you are that the TBTS UCE engines are far better in performance than on any other model.........and although this bike also uses the same nylon bushings on the rear swing arm, they hardly ever have reported any problems of "shaking rears" except for one off case in which the bushings got torn apart...........AMAZING CO. is this RE !!!
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:51   #1507
BHPian

I believe the cancellations of the CL500 these days are due to 3 major reasons

1. High price difference between the CL500 and CL350.. 1.46L Vs 1.16L. Both looks the same for the average customer.

2. Most of the major banks are not funding for 2-wheelers. Big players like ICICI are keeping away from the competition. In my city only Indus-Ind Bank provides a 2-wheeler loan for the Bulls. That too only up to 50% of the total cost @ a flat interest rate of 13%

3. The onslaught of the Honda CBR250 in the same price bracket of 1.5L. The bookings are open for a mere 5K advance.
Old 24th March 2011, 02:09   #1508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
Most reliable UCE : Randhawa thanks for seconding me on this one. I am myself as surprised as you are that the TBTS UCE engines are far better in performance than on any other model.........and although this bike also uses the same nylon bushings on the rear swing arm, they hardly ever have reported any problems of "shaking rears" except for one off case in which the bushings got torn apart...........AMAZING CO. is this RE !!!
I have three New (Less than a year old) TBTS in our group and all of them shake there hips like Shakira. They did everything they can do to resolve this but no help.
Old 24th March 2011, 06:51   #1509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
I love the 18 on mine. Yup sure about the difference, measured it myself. For some weird reason the 19 look skinny compared to 18 and I did not like the feel of 19 on C5, felt to light.

No confirmed report or review as yet but a member on here who has the new C5 says he has instability problem.
Yep,I do have the 19" in the front,and I have major instability issues after 85+ on the speedometer.(just tried it once as im still in my run in period)

I have not yet tried to adjust the swing arm to check if its better,but that would be a good bet it what i believe from reading through here.
Old 24th March 2011, 09:59   #1510
BHPian

Hi,
Classic 500 alloted for me in Southern Motors , Chennai. Need simple guidance, Should I go ahead and buy ?
Dr.Jones
Old 24th March 2011, 10:25   #1511
BHPian

^ No. Since you are in doubt, pass the chance to someone who might actually want it & you get some time to think over.
If you buy & repent, you lose sleep & money. If you dont buy & repent, you lose just sleep.
Old 24th March 2011, 10:51   #1512
BHPian

You cannot be alloted a motorcycle until you have booked one....which means that you have already thought about it before putting the money on the table....I suggest that you take a test ride of the bike being given to you, and take along a friend who already owns a C5. Let him ride and take his opinion on the engine, gear shifting etc. and then make up your mind...............!!
Old 24th March 2011, 12:18   #1513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
You cannot be alloted a motorcycle until you have booked one....which means that you have already thought about it before putting the money on the table....I suggest that you take a test ride of the bike being given to you, and take along a friend who already owns a C5. Let him ride and take his opinion on the engine, gear shifting etc. and then make up your mind...............!!
Thanks a lot Mr.Bradhey,
Ofcourse, I thought a lot about it and booked, but, going through the problems of the owners here in this topic made me think twice. Your idea of taking along a ' Friend with C5' is a good idea. Any 'Friend with C5' in Chennai will to give me a hand?
Dr.Jones
Old 24th March 2011, 15:50   #1514
BHPian

Drjones: If you see around you, you will find people the little 100-150 cc bikes in much worst condition without caring whether its got enough engine oil or the rings on the pistons are working fine or not.................!

It is just the mindset, we relate the other bikes as more reliable (from the fill it, shut it and forget it, era) and do not discuss it on the forums. However this is not true, if you go through other threads on this forum, there are owners of Hondas, Yamahas, TVS cribbing about various issues they are facing with their bikes. In case of REs, we are in the habbit of finding fault with every small thing......and discuss it on such forums. At the end of the day, what matters is that if you take out any present day RE bike on 600 kms ride, it will do it reliably.

Yes there may be some issues, such as fishtailing at very high speeds, but these would eventually get soughted out, i am quite sure. So if you want to enjoy the power of the C5 go for it, else stay back with the other bikes, of which there is no shortage today.
Old 24th March 2011, 19:54   #1515
Senior - BHPian

i would suggest you go ahead and buy it.my friend has 7 classic 500s now.he uses them for the tours he organises in tibet, leh, eastern india etc.those bikes have traversed the length and breadth of india without any problems.i have ridden those bikes on 200+ kms in one go and have had no problems at all.there was the plugs getting shot issue earlier but thats now resolved more or less.and that too happened when you start the bike in the morning and let it idle.it has never let down during and ride.about the instability well its a bit personal.i didn't mind it.i'm used to worse bikes.we here are critical of the bike to a very deep level.you don't really mind the issues one it starts rolling.the bike is super fast and awesome to ride.don't deprive yourself of such an awesome bike at the behest of us niggling nuts.we just want RE to get superbike standard.LOL.whatever the bike is we just love it! Look at randhawa.after threatening to burn the bike a lot times he's still with it and loves it to the core.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks