Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2011, 17:02   #1486
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

@Arun- Dealers are aware of it but they don't want people cancelling their bookings so it's all hush up till the launch. It's your call, cant advice on something as I am not too sure about the launch date yet.

I am not surprised to see people cancelling their bookings now as the problems are rising day by day due to quality issue. Heard of few cancellations in Chandigarh too and its happening from last few months.

I have found another serious quality issue related to the head which will be effecting lot of UCE bikes sold probably after 10/2010. It's to do with tic-tic noise and low km/L .

Last edited by Randhawa : 21st March 2011 at 17:08.
Old 21st March 2011, 18:41   #1487
BHPian

I had visited the dealership in the eve and had handed him over a colour print-out of that Desert variant pic posted here in TBhp. He admitted that there were hot discussions on this variant during last dealer meeting but no release dates have been given as of now. The dealers were told that the next model to be rolled out is the STD 500UCE.

I have confirmed the booking of my Green C5 though. Should be able to pic her up by the next week after completing the bank-loan paper works.

The visible changes i noticed in the new ones are

1. 90-90-19" Zapper front tyre
2. 120 section wider rear tyre
3. Fiber/plastic chain cover etc
I suspect a change in the handlebar design too. But, im not quite sure about that though.

Last edited by aruncheloor : 21st March 2011 at 18:45.
Old 21st March 2011, 19:04   #1488
Senior - BHPian

People have been saying about the new handle but I wan unable to make out any difference. Yes you are right about the STD 500 but alongwith that two new versions of c5 will also roll out.
Old 21st March 2011, 22:38   #1489
BHPian

I have sent a mail to the RE Customer care asking for the updates on the new colour variants of the Classic 500. I believe its more than one year since they showcased the Crome variant in the Auto Expo. Seems like RE factory guys are short of paint & chrome
Old 21st March 2011, 22:50   #1490
Senior - BHPian

So is the STD 500 UCE a fuel injected version or is it a carb version.If its the carb version i bet this will be the end of all problems faced with the 500 engine.This would truly be the dawn of new era of bullets.The carb will bring more performance,better reliability and less niggling issues with the engine.
Old 22nd March 2011, 00:08   #1491
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately it's EFI but it can be converted to carb under 10k quite easily.
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:57   #1492
BHPian

I guess it may cost even less than 10k if you are able to sell off your old wiring and the ECU on ebay
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:13   #1493
Senior - BHPian

Clever lad, never thought of that . But at least if you keep the stuff then you can revert back to stock anytime you want.

On other hand, who would want to convert their existing carb setup to EFI knowing it's from the troublesome C5 setup with rich mixture issue!
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:02   #1494
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
This would truly be the dawn of new era of bullets.The carb will bring more performance,better reliability and less niggling issues with the engine.
I thought I would never read something like this. Trust RE to muck this up.
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:16   #1495
BHPian

WOAH! Your review is insanely awesome! The level of detailing is amazing. Have they hired you by now?

Anyways, you mentioned there are a lot of problems with this bike, but it's a lovely bike too. A friend is planning to buy one too, but he was horrified at reading the bit where you have to get up and stretch your back.

So he wants to know which of the bikes from the RE stable is suited for the everyday city drive (20 kms daily) and once-in-a-month weekend outstation trip (say about 500-600 kms)? I've suggested him to go for classic 350, just for the looks bit as he can't afford to go for 500. But he's hell-bent on TB. What do you guys think?
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:16   #1496
BHPian

@ Randhawa and other C5 guys : Your forum has hit century ! Any hundredth page celeberations on the way ?
Regards Adrian
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:49   #1497
Senior - BHPian

Lets see what they price the STD 500 EFI at.Yes we can convert the engine to carb easily but a factory setup system is always better then a custom setup.Anyways lets see what they do to the bike.I am actually very very surprised and boggled at them that they know about the issue and they are putting so much research into betting a remap and what not.Why can't they just install the O2 Sensor and make this a closed loop.I bet the overall price rise won't be more than 2-3k for this since this is a large scale production.Also since its already on their export bike it will make the procurement costs cheaper and hence they can earn more profit on the bikes that they sell abroad.

I can't understand why is there this issue with indian companies that they can't think big/large.They just don't look at things in the long term.They just want to make money rightoff and forget the problems later.
Old 22nd March 2011, 14:44   #1498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
WOAH! Your review is insanely awesome! The level of detailing is amazing. Have they hired you by now?

Anyways, you mentioned there are a lot of problems with this bike, but it's a lovely bike too. A friend is planning to buy one too, but he was horrified at reading the bit where you have to get up and stretch your back.

So he wants to know which of the bikes from the RE stable is suited for the everyday city drive (20 kms daily) and once-in-a-month weekend outstation trip (say about 500-600 kms)? I've suggested him to go for classic 350, just for the looks bit as he can't afford to go for 500. But he's hell-bent on TB. What do you guys think?
The TBTS is the best choice for your friend. Don't confuse him. Its the most reliable, comfortable and versatile bike currently from the RE stable....!! My best wishes.
Old 22nd March 2011, 14:52   #1499
Senior - BHPian

^
On what grounds do you label it more reliable, comfortable and versatile when pitched against the Electra or Std.?

There is no difference in the reliability aspect between Classic 350, Electra, Std., and TBTS. Looks and price are the only criteria.
Old 22nd March 2011, 15:14   #1500
Senior - BHPian

I think even the price is more or less the same now.Just a few thousands separate them now.

All UCE engines are reliable if they are built correctly by the company.Example they forgot to install the oil rings on one bike's piston.LOL.

Its down to personal choice.Infact something that the TBTS is comfortable owing to its raised handlebar and smooth looking seat.NOPE.that handlebar is actually not comfortable.The angle at which you hold the grips is all wrong.And the seat-well after about 30kms of riding your tailbone starts to get pressurised by the backplate under that foam.Its engineered Incorrectly.The point of the tail bone has lesser padding than the rest of the seat.Infact i found the classic's spring seat to be super super comfortable.It feels exactly like a tata safari over broken roads.JUst wallows over everything and nothing is felt on your backside.
I find the Machismo seat very comfortable as well as it has loads of padding at the tail bone area.

If you really want to see a well engineered seat try the Harley Davidson Road King.Now thats a seat! Even though i believe that Harley's are as engineered at the Royal Enfield, their seats are one of the best in the whole world.They have attained the nirvana in seating engineering.

Oh yes another thing that matters.Whats your own size.I am a large punjabi weighing in well over half of the weight of the bike itself.haha.So it matters if your a thin small guy.You'll be comfy on any and everything.hehehe

Last edited by navpreet318 : 22nd March 2011 at 15:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks