Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2010, 21:33   #511
Senior - BHPian

Hi!

This sounds like battery trouble to me. It would be in warranty, so best take it to the service center, riding with the headlamp on.

Cheers
Old 18th November 2010, 12:26   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
@Achint, Adrian, Thanks for consoling me.

I think in a way, ............................................... now freely turning here and there causing Bullu to rev as he likes. How do I set it right?
regards
San
Hello San,
The brake liners are made of asbestos and has got the habit of absorbing moisture. Had this problem in our Ambassador when we take him out after heavy rains. What I do is left foot braking while accelarating to heat up the liners. Always make a habit of taking a pre ride inspection of the vehicle before starting off.
1. Check for oil/ fuel leaks on the floor where the vehicle was parked.
2. Check for loose parts / broken cables and lines etc.
3. Condition of the brakes
4. Check all lights- The most important being the brake lights and blinkers.
On higher speeds the friction produced by the pads on the disk are overcome by the velocity combined with the mass of the bullet and to some extend wont lock under standard pressure exerted on the lever. Vice versa on lower speeds.
The accelarator cable pipe is connected to the handle bars using fibre clamps. Check if the has come off the clamp due to breakage and if not tighten the clamp using allen keys. Get it fixed as early as possible. Ain't safe to ride with the accelarator going automatic !
I will describe the chain cleaning procedure I follow. Dont know the pros and cons; but just had worked fine for me.
1. Clean the chain using toothbrush dipped in kerosene.
2. wipe off kerosene using cloth.
3. Using an oil can lubricate (I use 20W 40 on the chain) the hinges of the chain (need some patience for this !)
4. Wipe off excess oil using cloth.
Mean while Rollin' Thunda has got some excellent links on safe riding on his thread. Check it out friend !
Old 18th November 2010, 12:51   #513
BHPian

Correction !!

Hello San,
The accelarator cable adjuster pipe in the new bull is fixed to the switch housing.
Old 18th November 2010, 14:09   #514
BHPian

@Adrian

Thanks for the information. For cleaning, I was taking the easy way with WD-40. Will be careful in future. The accelerator adjuster pipe goes somewhere inside the right switch housing and didnt see any nut or Hex screws to tighten it. I hope its not broken. So far I am doing DIY on the damages. Threw away the Headlamp Cap, Hammered and straightened the headlamp steel rim and fixed it back. Same goes for the Crash guard and its clamps. Foot peg is bent, I couldnt find the right spanner to remove it. Lucky the headlight glass was not broken. Some paint job on front mud guard and tighten this accelerator nut and I will be back with my Bullu

I browsed through the Safe riding thread by Rollin' Thunda. It seems he has a habit of 'rolling in the mud' too often (Hey Rollin' no offense meant)
Old 18th November 2010, 14:32   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Hi!

This sounds like battery trouble to me. It would be in warranty, so best take it to the service center, riding with the headlamp on.

Cheers
@Vinjosep - Agree to EssYouWe, I to had similar problem with ES. Got it fixed by mechanic, he cleaned the battery terminals, applied gel and did a top-up. It's doing well since then (3 weeks).

Cheers !!!
Old 18th November 2010, 15:42   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
@Vinjosep - Agree to EssYouWe, I to had similar problem with ES. Got it fixed by mechanic, he cleaned the battery terminals, applied gel and did a top-up. It's doing well since then (3 weeks).

Cheers !!!
The leads that go into the battery are soldered. Dry soldering can cause arching inside the battery when it is loaded (especially while using ES). This can also cause improper charging of the battery. I too agree with EssYouWe. Get the Machine to the service centre Pronto !
Old 18th November 2010, 16:37   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
The leads that go into the battery are soldered. Dry soldering can cause arching inside the battery when it is loaded (especially while using ES). This can also cause improper charging of the battery. I too agree with EssYouWe. Get the Machine to the service centre Pronto !
My ignorance, didn’t catch that point exactly. Could you pls elaborate?

Cheers !!!
Old 18th November 2010, 21:04   #518
BHPian

Can anyone please confirm whether the L shaped tube which fits the accelerator cable to the right hand grip is freely turnable or fixed?
Old 18th November 2010, 22:33   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... hand grip is freely turnable or fixed?
It moves to relieve undue stress on cable outer. This is how it is in my 2006 E5s. Have seen similar movement in other brand bikes too.

-BJ
Old 19th November 2010, 11:31   #520
BHPian

Hi Milestone,

Quote:
My ignorance, didn’t catch that point exactly. Could you pls elaborate?
Cheers !!!
Not your ignorance ! It is the communication error. The possitive and negative wires are heat soldered into the cells in a battery. In some batteries due to manufacturing defect the solders in one of the leads won't be intact resulting in improper connection. The ES draws large amount of current while used and the current flowing through an unstable connection causes arcing/flashing at the point of loose contact and this causes heat production and further damaging the point. (You can see this type of arcing in electrical switches). I will try to upload the picture of a battery damaged like this soon. Hope I was successful to get the point over this time !
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-lead_acid_battery_quad_bike_battery_atv_battery_motorcycle_battery.jpg  

Old 19th November 2010, 11:37   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone please confirm whether the L shaped tube which fits the accelerator cable to the right hand grip is freely turnable or fixed?
Hello San,
I checked several bikes. It is fixed. Seems like you will have to open up the switch case to tighten the thing. Better take it to the service.
Regards
Adrian
Old 19th November 2010, 14:08   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Not your ignorance ! It is the communication error. The possitive and negative wires are heat soldered into the cells in a battery. In some batteries due to manufacturing defect the solders in one of the leads won't be intact resulting in improper connection...... Hope I was successful to get the point over this time !
Thanks Adrian for the detailed explanation, I got my understanding correct . In my case it was not soldered, I guess it goes same with all Bull's. Here, they use screws to fix the wire to battery and there was formation of lead at battery terminals.

Cheers !!!
Old 20th November 2010, 21:16   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Hi!

Cheers
Quote:

Cheers !!!
Quote:

Thank you all. Your suggestions well appreciated.

Finally visited the service centre today. Spent 5 hours and the result? Nil!

First a flashback on the week after i started having the ES problem: I have added another 200+ km on the odo. 30% of this was at night. I observed that during the day there are no problems. The bike starts at the first touch even in the morning (this was after 1 day of running during the day, guess the battery was charged). Except when using the headlights the ammeter shows a postive lean. When the bike is doing a moderate speed and i switch on the headlight, the needle stays at the dead centre. Any reduction in speed/ revs, the needle enters the negative territory. So i have judiciously switched the headlights off and on during my night rides so far. Result: ES works at the first crank.

Fast forward to today: I keep aside all my appointments and turn up at the service centre. Inform them of my predictment. The mechanic starts his work on the bike. After the usual checks, the headlight come off for inspection. He takes a look at the bulb, checks with his senior and both of them confront me with with the statement that i have changed the OEM bulb. I try convincing them that this was how it was. Nope! all fell on deaf ears. They took out a broken headlamp assembly from nowhere, and compared the bulb. That was from the a thunderbird i guess and so it didnt match with what i had. I was blessed with a look which said LIAR (yes, in Caps). I retreated to the waiting lounge to vent my anger and despair. To cut the story short, after 5 hours there was nothing to show. All seemed in prefect condition (or so they said).

Light assembly- check
Battery Charging - check (13.8 without the headlight and 12.6 with it on)
ES - check (started at least 3 x 10 consecutive times ).
Battery leads - check (no deposit formation on the leads)

Had to really go begging to get the service team to do so much. Finally i left the place since i could not take it any more.

I tried have a half an hour ride with the headlights on. So far no probs.. hmmm... interesting.
Old 22nd November 2010, 13:48   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Thank you all. Your suggestions well appreciated.
................... tried have a half an hour ride with the headlights on. So far no probs.. hmmm... interesting.
These guys at the service act like they are doing us a great favour May be it is time the whole service station concept change.
If the owner wants he should be permitted to see his Machine getting serviced. (Lots of instances where the first oil change was done only in the bills !) I would like to key in one event which I witnessed in the servicing yard of Marikkar motors. These new Honda bikes were being unloaded from the lorry and the people from the dealer came to take the vehicle to the showroom. Follow the procedure :
1. Cranked the engine. Came to life ; coughed and died
2. Cranked the engine. Came to life ; Still got missing. To get their job easy what the guy did was turn the throttle to the limits !
3.Got the engine right. Did a wheelie and the journey to the showroom begins.
Later :
Some one taking his new bike out vowing to ride his hard earned new bike softly as possible through running in and the rest of that !
In a nutshell ; Some one else's bike ! What do we have to loose ! Let's Jay ride !!
Old 23rd November 2010, 12:03   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone please confirm whether the L shaped tube which fits ..... or fixed?
Quote:
Hello San,
I checked several bikes. It is fixed. Seems like you will have to open up the ......take it to the service.
Regards
Adrian

It's fixed as pointed by adrian, you would need open the RHS switch case to fix it. It might had loosened up during the "unfortunate" fall.

Cheers !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks