Senior - BHPian

Re: The "Used Bike Price Thread"

How much can I expect for a
2009 RE Electra
CI engine
Single owner
15k genuine kms
Location - Pune
Runs perfectly fine. Its daily duty is a 5 km round trip Home-Office-Home.

I am in two minds on this.
On one hand, it has never been used the way a bullet should have been. It has never been taken on a ride outstation.
On the other hand, it has its own charm and I somehow never liked anything else to drive.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 27th April 2016 at 19:47.
Old 27th April 2016, 22:01   #662
BHPian

Thank you for affirming my thoughts. I've decided to give this deal a pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Will help us all in better understanding the human psyche

Not sure of the psyche of the buyer, but I've started to understand the psyche of some of the sellers from buyer's perspective. I had very similar experience earlier this year when I went to check a 2010 Linea T-Jet+. Here is how it goes.

Scenario :
For whatever reasons, vehicle's average running is low. Vehicle very well-maintained and well-cared. One fine day, seller decides to take a tap on how much it can fetch for him if sold. He puts up an advt quoting astronomical selling price (because he loves the vehicle so much). The reason given is the low running and lovingly followed maintenance schedule. Seller is ready for “slight negotiation” but insists that buyer checks the vehicle first. Buyer adjusts his schedule, goes to meet the seller, thoroughly checks the vehicle and finds that the vehicle indeed is in good shape. Buyer quotes a reasonably better price than the market rate. However that price is much lower than the seller’s expectation (which is way too high).

Now, since there is no pressing need to sell the vehicle to begin with, seller doesn’t agree to the quoted price and backs off. The buyer is left with nothing but a surge of hope of getting a fair deal and precious time wasted in the end .

Lessons learnt :
- Confirm from the seller the reason to sell the vehicle over phone prior to meeting. Reasons like 'too many vehicles', 'no time to ride', 'mom/dad suggesting me to sell' etc are potential alarms for relapse. Probe further.
- Tap the response to make absolutely sure that seller is really keen on getting the vehicle sold.
- I always thought it unethical/unprofessional to quote a price over phone even before checking the vehicle in-person. Maybe I wasn’t right. So give the seller an idea of prevailing market rate and the premium you’re willing to pay if vehicle indeed is found to be good. If seller is showing interest, good; else save your time n walk away.
- Go via the route of used vehicle dealers. Here buyer is absolutely sure that the vehicle is up for sale and can negotiate to an agreeable price for a good vehicle.
- Nothing beats the situation where the seller is from a known circle.

I apologize for the big rant but I thought it relevant to pen down the buyer's perspective. Hopefully this will be useful for prospective buyers here (and sellers as well)!

Mods - please remove this post if found inappropriate.

Peace!
Old 10th June 2016, 10:53   #663
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Want to buy a weekend rider. Here are my requirements, request you to please let me know if I can expect a good bike in this
> Budget upto 100000 (I park my bike in a Public Parking, dont want the heartache of a new scratch every day on a new machine)
> 250 cc Above
> Non- Enfield
> Less than 40000 kms running
> Rear Disk Break

I have ridden my Unicorn and First Gen CBZ for more than 150000 Kms, need an upgrade.
Old 10th June 2016, 12:29   #664
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks,

I sold my 2009 hero Honda Hunk 150cc few days back for Rs 13000.

Kms run: 55000

Issues:
1. Front forks leaking
2. Disk calipers jamming
3. Engine smoking, bore & pistons worn out and as a result top speed reduced to 60kmph only
4. Crank bearing etc worn out
5. Electric starter kaput
6. Chain and sprocket worn out
7. Wide rear tyre (110/90) is rubbing against the chain cover
8. Rear suspension leaking oil
9. Exhaust pipe started rusting near the cylinder

In summary, the greatest question is, Did I get more or less price for the bike?

Note: the buyer was made aware of the faults above.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 10th June 2016 at 12:30. Reason: spelling
Old 10th June 2016, 12:39   #665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Hi Guys,

Want to buy a weekend rider. Here are my requirements, request you to please let me know if I can expect a good bike in this
> Budget upto 100000 (I park my bike in a Public Parking, dont want the heartache of a new scratch every day on a new machine)
> 250 cc Above
> Non- Enfield
> Less than 40000 kms running
> Rear Disk Break

I have ridden my Unicorn and First Gen CBZ for more than 150000 Kms, need an upgrade.
Given your requirement and budget one such model that comes to my mind is the Honda CBR 250. It is a beautiful motorcycle and has enough oomph for your weekend getaways. It comes with a ever reliable 250cc single cylinder mill from Honda coupled with good riding ergonomics, rear disc brake along with having adequate power for weekend runs. It would be even better if you opt for the model which came with ABS. I believe you will have to raise your budget a wee bit to find a good deal.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 15:14   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
I am looking to pick up a used Duke 390 either in Kerala or in Bangalore where I currently work. In the short term, I have planned a two week road trip to the North East for which the D390 should be prepped up for. Otherwise, it's a strictly a city bike with some short weekend rides when I have the time.
Initially I had made up my mind for a D200 but looking at the (poor) resale prices the 390 commands, it definitely is a much much bang for the buck with the ABS, suspension and oodles of power.
My budget currently is 1.4L tops including all the expenses associated with the bike.
Would I be able to get a decent low mileage late 2014/early 2015 piece within my limited budget.
A more relaxing ride as a tourer, relaxed posture, pillion comfort, and reliability has led me to the CBR250 now. The baby ceeber in the hand-me-down market seems a good VFM considering my requirements primarily as a no issues tourer. I really cannot be running behind a FNG on my trip and I feel Honda with its bullet proof reliability is thebest bet.
What do you guys think is a good price for a 2012/13/14 ABS model with <20K clicks?
I feel 1- 1.2 tops is all I should pay.
Old 15th June 2016, 20:34   #667
BHPian

Quote:
A more relaxing ride as a tourer, relaxed posture, pillion comfort, and reliability has led me to the CBR250 now. The baby ceeber in the hand-me-down market seems a good VFM considering my requirements primarily as a no issues tourer. I really cannot be running behind a FNG on my trip and I feel Honda with its bullet proof reliability is thebest bet.
What do you guys think is a good price for a 2012/13/14 ABS model with <20K clicks?
I feel 1- 1.2 tops is all I should pay.
2012 CBR250R ABS
80-90k if you're lucky. Less than 1L for sure even for a well maintained bike.

2014 CBR250R ABS
1.1-1.2L

To give some idea about used prices of 250ABS,

170km/30 days old @ 1.6L (I actually bought it)
2500km/1.5 years old @ 1.4L
hgps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 06:54   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgps View Post
2012 CBR250R ABS
80-90k if you're lucky. Less than 1L for sure even for a well maintained bike.

2014 CBR250R ABS
1.1-1.2L
Considering the higher prices in Bangalore, I feel 1.1L INR is a pretty reasonable price for a 2012 model. Having a look at a couple of them over the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgps View Post

170km/30 days old @ 1.6L (I actually bought it)
That's one pretty sweet deal, why was the owner parting with it ?
We have on our classifieds for a similar rate, but the catch is it's a 2013 model!
Roomy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 08:44   #669
BHPian

Quote:
That's one pretty sweet deal, why was the owner parting with it ?
We have on our classifieds for a similar rate, but the catch is it's a 2013 model!
He wanted something more powerful. CBR250R ABS wasn't much of an upgrade for him.
Old 17th June 2016, 20:51   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Considering the higher prices in Bangalore, I feel 1.1L INR is a pretty reasonable price for a 2012 model. Having a look at a couple of them over the weekend.
I looked at a 2012 ABS model, 16K run, Uduppi regd, single owner. Pretty decent condition but still needs some work related to coneset and front fork oil seal. Total 3k to be spent for this as confirmed via the service centre. Plus an additional 2K for the lapsed insurance.
I am looking at replacing the rear tyre within a couple of thousand KM's too.
What do you guys feel is the best price for this in Bangalore? I have quote 95K as of now.

Last edited by Roomy : 17th June 2016 at 20:56.
Old 17th June 2016, 22:00   #671
BHPian

what would be market price of CBZ Xtreme Dual Disc 2012 Model run only 22000kms.
Will it be wise decision to keep it. Planning to buy Jupiter for normal office-home usage.
Old 8th August 2016, 17:25   #672
Senior - BHPian

Sold my 30,000 KMs run; 2004 Enfield Thunderbird for 38K this weekend. The bike was perfect mechanically and had brand new tires. Bodywork could use some paint but no other issues. Sold coz I was not riding it as much
Old 8th August 2016, 19:54   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Sold my 30,000 KMs run; 2004 Enfield Thunderbird for 38K this weekend. The bike was perfect mechanically and had brand new tires. Bodywork could use some paint but no other issues. Sold coz I was not riding it as much
2004 means that your thunderbird came with the CI engine. As far as I hear, CI engined bulls command a better resale in the market.
Couldn't you have extracted more for it?
Old 8th August 2016, 20:29   #674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
2004 means that your thunderbird came with the CI engine. As far as I hear, CI engined bulls command a better resale in the market.
Couldn't you have extracted more for it?
Nope - Thunderbird never came with a CI engine. It was launched with a 350 AVL engine
Old 22nd August 2016, 22:47   #675
BHPian

I'm going for a second hand Honda Shine.
Year: 2013
Running:23,000
Price asked: 43,000

But have one concern.
Refer to attached image , the engine head has sealant applied to it.
What possibly could be this?

Anything suspicious?
Attached Thumbnails
The "Used Bike Price Thread"-1471885886207.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks