Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2009, 12:35   #1
BANNED

Rubber seal in petrol tank

While refilling my Honda CBX, the fuel tank cap rubber seal fell in tank accidentally. How does rubber react with petrol? will it be dissolved in petrol or will it block passage of petrol? Since CBX is a four carb bike, I am worried it may foul up with carbs. Any suggestions please? Should I flush the tank and carbs?
Old 11th October 2009, 13:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Since the seal was for the fuel tank cap, the material of construction would be compatible for petrol and vapours etc, so it should not dissolve readily. However since it was not designed to be always immersed in petrol over a period of time it might start breaking up.

Suggest you fish out the seal if possible but the baffles may not allow that. So flush out the tank first and look at the condition of the seal. If you find any portions of the rubber missing well then you may want to clean out the fuel pipe and carb etc.
Old 11th October 2009, 13:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

The seal will not dissolve but will certainly absorb petrol and swell up. It also might release some oils in the petrol tank, although that is in minisicule amounts.

Get the seal out asap.
Old 12th October 2009, 22:56   #4
BANNED

thanks guys! drained the tank and took that seal out. also got all four carbs opened and cleaned. there was a tonne of dirt and wonder how the bike was still running. but now with the carbs cleaned, the bike has become even more formidable than before. the link mechanism of all four carbs is ingenious. a single cable operates all four carbs. i was apprehensive of the job but my mech who worked on twin carb RDs, did the job with ease.

Last edited by pgsagar : 12th October 2009 at 22:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks