Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2009, 14:36   #1
BHPian

Need Help before i Bite the Bullet - TBTS - EDIT- now delivered

Just back from Test ride of TB . Pretty ok with ride,much better than Machsimo which i tried some 4 yrs before however the engine noise is too much . I have been lusting this machine for last 6 year and plan to keep this bike for eternity.Current ride HH Splendor +'05 with 21000 on ODO.

There are couple of niggling issue i would like clear & understand before bitting the bullet
a) Is the noise a feature of RE ( which i have to live with )or some alignment issue on the test bike.

b) Also is it possible to fit a chrome tank similar to 500cc .

c) Shud i shift to Bottle type silencer immdeiately after reg .,if i can what wud be +ve's and -Ve's.

d) My useage would be around 500 kms every month mainly within city, in such case what should be the maintenance schedule .am willing to spend time & effort to keep the bull in prime condition.

Pls help with your sugestions. planning to book within a 2-3 weeks.
Old 30th August 2009, 09:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Replies in line

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post

a) Is the noise a feature of RE ( which i have to live with )or some alignment issue on the test bike.

TBTS doesn't make too much of a racket while compared to the LBs. But, if you compare it to the STD, it is a little noisier.

b) Also is it possible to fit a chrome tank similar to 500cc .

But why? A chrome tank costs 6500INR. And after that simply too much maintenance.

c) Shud i shift to Bottle type silencer immdeiately after reg .,if i can what wud be +ve's and -Ve's.

Better to shift to bottle muffler after run-in.

Positives: Thump

Negatives: You might need a carb rejet.

d) My useage would be around 500 kms every month mainly within city, in such case what should be the maintenance schedule .am willing to spend time & effort to keep the bull in prime condition.

The TBTS won't require too much TLC, unlike the pre-unit engined bulls. So, don't worry too much. Just stick to the recommended service schedules.
Go for it.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 31st August 2009, 12:19   #3
BHPian

Also there is a shorter silencer available for the TBTS which you can get fitted right from the start. Engine noise is a bit irritating, I would rather have more from the exhaust :-)
Old 31st August 2009, 12:46   #4
BHPian

I doubt whether a chrome tank will fit in the first place and if it does it will spoil the look of a TB. Better with the stock.
Old 1st September 2009, 11:17   #5
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs & reassuring words - Jay,Abhay & Wandernomad . will keep updated on booking & delivery.
Old 3rd September 2009, 20:28   #6
BHPian

Guys, am i bit of dilemma , had meet couple of friends over last 2 days and now throughly confused between TB & 500 after various discussions . This is my first bull and plan to keep for long long time to come . Pls suggest which should i buy .
Old 3rd September 2009, 20:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, am i bit of dilemma , had meet couple of friends over last 2 days and now throughly confused between TB & 500 after various discussions . This is my first bull and plan to keep for long long time to come . Pls suggest which should i buy .
Buy the 500 and along with it start accumulating spares slowly. Why? The 500 would probably go out of production in a year or so.

On the other hand, the TBTS is the one to go for if you don't need that "bullet" character. You probably won't have to worry for spares.

For me, the 500, just because it is pretty exclusive.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 3rd September 2009, 20:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have another googly for you. The best bull to keep forever would be the STD350. Make no mistake about this. You won't have to worry for spares and that motorcycle is a true classic. Sorry, but if you want a bull for life, it is the STD350.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 4th September 2009, 11:25   #9
BHPian

i agree with you Jay .. it has to be the STD350 if it has to be classic and typical Bullet feel . However the STD is pretty heavy compared to TB and am only 5'5" will not be able to rest my foot on the ground properly and average built . Anyways will take a Test ride again to chk on comfort levels .
Old 4th September 2009, 11:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

I too would recommend the 500 especially the current favorite LB500, man just look at the specs, The TB isnt cheap by any means(Plus the AVL clatters so much) so if you are spending that much money then atleast buy something you wont feel like changing for years to come. I know some guys who bought a 350 & then regretted not buying the 500 & eventually keep finding various ways to upgrade to a 500.
Old 4th September 2009, 11:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i agree with you Jay .. it has to be the STD350 if it has to be classic and typical Bullet feel . However the STD is pretty heavy compared to TB and am only 5'5" will not be able to rest my foot on the ground properly and average built . Anyways will take a Test ride again to chk on comfort levels .
rm_arjuna,

The TBTS definitely is more cumbersome to handle in the city rush hour traffic. Trust me, the STD350 is a much nimbler machine which can actually be ridden pretty well on the twisties if you get the hang of it. Meanwhile, don't worry about your height. If you test ride a TBTS and a STD350, in all probability you will like the TBTS better. Simply because, you will be used to it and also the fact that the refinement would be better. Reiterating what I said before, you want a motorcycle to pass on to your kids, STD350 is what you should be looking at.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 26th September 2009, 13:29   #12
BHPian

Am booking my Thunderbird today(black) and will get deliver on monday on dussera pooja day . pls help with PDI checklist and also instructions for running-in .
Old 27th September 2009, 13:34   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Weight and height is never a problem with a bullet, as long as you know what you are doing with it. Couple of months back, I saw a girl probably a 5'3"/4", very slim, driving a very old army bull, near Vikrampuri, Secunderabad. It was the most beautiful thing I ever saw, I never got to see her face, as i was busy admiring the way she was driving the bull, just about 30kmph, probably on 3rd gear, in a mad traffic with buffoons honking sitting in their 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers. She just maintained her left, and skimmed through the traffic, just like silk. I wish my daughter (don't have yet) someday would ride my bull, I'd be really proud of her.

Cheers.
Old 27th September 2009, 16:46   #14
BHPian

Its a nice bike man. Congrats. Im in love with my bird. It has its own noise issues though as mine is an AVL
Old 27th September 2009, 18:38   #15
BHPian

And the Tbts seems more easier to get your knee down in corners, just wish it had more torque. I guess with the news that the 500LB is gonna be axed as well as the CI350 next yr, RE is plannin to go forward solely with UCE.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks