Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2013, 18:34   #241
BHPian

Re: Indian Two Wheelers that flopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTLovesNano View Post
I think Bajaj XCD deserves to be on this list. Launched with huge expectations of replacing the Splendor, attempt number 1e100 from Bajaj, they stopped the bread winner CT100 (which replaced the workhorse Boxer) which again is a potential candidate for flop. Let us not get carried away by the sales in first few months. This XCD which came a million problems, the infamous false-gear problem, was hardly a decent bike and it was 4th 125cc bike from Bajaj after KB125, Wind125, and Discover 125. Bajaj wanted to make more profits by replacing CT100 with XCD. I am one of those victims who ended up buying XCD.
XCD is still in production. Bajaj is making it at pantnagar plant. i don't know how much volume they are doing for the particular vehicle currently.
antariksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 19:29   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

The thread heading is "Indian Two Wheelers that flopped". But I am pleased to discuss about these Yo's and its stablemates from China, that were so amusing to look at.
The Yo electric scooter and its stablemates from China, so popular during 2005- 10, have suddenly vanished.Only a few remain presumably under duress from their respective owners to be on the road, come what may ! These were of Chinese origin and nearly all of them did not require registration by transport authorities.
The registration, road taxes and spiralling petrol prices were all of no consequence to the Yo's and its siblings from China. And added to that was the fact that oil change was not needed and so also engine/mechanical maintenance and so on.
Despite all such advantages, these have disappeared evidently due to the poor quality and workmanship of these two wheelers.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th December 2013 at 19:37.
Old 20th December 2013, 19:56   #243
Senior - BHPian

What about the Vijay Super? I dont know much about it But I think it was roughly based on a Lambretta. My uncle had one and I still remember the way he used to take me out for a ride on it with me standing in between the handlebar and seat! I just loved the sound it made and the blue trail of smoke it left behind! I strongly suspect it was running on Kerosine!

One more example I would like to add is the LML Freedom. And in a way we can also say the initial wave of Ducatis that hit the Indian shores was a 'Flop' due to the mistake of the company/dealers. Hope their reentry will be well planned!

Thanks for this amazing thread! Brought back a huge list of forgotten names in the Indian 2 wheeler scene.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 20th December 2013 at 19:59.
Old 20th December 2013, 22:07   #244
Senior - BHPian

There was a scooter named Atlanta, the first Indian two wheeler. This also was never a success.
See this T-Bhp link for more about the scooter. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...r-atlanta.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
these have disappeared evidently due to the poor quality and workmanship of these two wheelers.
A person well known to me, purchased one such electric scooter from Alleppy but it took him two days to take it to his house 55kms away, as the battery got fully discharged twice en-route. The OE chord for charging from the mains was the one usually sold in footpaths. He used it for close to two years before disposing it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
What about the Vijay Super? I dont know much about it
Vijay Super was not a flop at all. In fact the Vijay blotted API's copy book by outselling its Lambretta/Lamby.

Last edited by rajeev k : 20th December 2013 at 22:24.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 23:41   #245
BHPian

Here are a few more: BSA Falcon, Vespa PL170, Vespa NV.
Old 21st December 2013, 19:07   #246
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone please advise that how are we coming to the conclusion of a "flopped" model?

Is it solely on the merit of non-viewability. For example, If I do not know about this model, or have not heard much, so let me consider this as a flop model? If this is the virtue of selection, then please think twice! Please do remember that certain models are more common in certain states than others. Likewise, do consider the market prevelant at that time when a particular model was introduced into the market.

Regards,

Last edited by Majumdarda : 21st December 2013 at 19:10.
Old 23rd December 2013, 16:16   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antariksh View Post
XCD is still in production. Bajaj is making it at pantnagar plant. i don't know how much volume they are doing for the particular vehicle currently.
I am not sure about the Pantnagar plant. However, long back Bajaj had officially declared phasing out of the XCD, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bajaj_XCD, and http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...xcd-125-a.html.

Anyways, Bajaj has been notorious with phasing out products at its whims-and-fancy. I think one can easily put them in Guinness book for world record for launching and phasing out models. Though the Discover100 may appear to be for nearly 4 years, launched first in 2009 I believe, as of now there are three variants Discover 100, 100M, and 100T. One fine day they may be too shocked to find that Platina has been in existence for over 7 years. Rajiv Bajaj may get a heart-attack because of this
PNTLovesNano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 18:58   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTLovesNano View Post
I am not sure about the Pantnagar plant. However, long back Bajaj had officially declared phasing out of the XCD, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bajaj_XCD, and http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...xcd-125-a.html.

Anyways, Bajaj has been notorious with phasing out products at its whims-and-fancy. I think one can easily put them in Guinness book for world record for launching and phasing out models. Though the Discover100 may appear to be for nearly 4 years, launched first in 2009 I believe, as of now there are three variants Discover 100, 100M, and 100T. One fine day they may be too shocked to find that Platina has been in existence for over 7 years. Rajiv Bajaj may get a heart-attack because of this
I am trying to get number of XCD being made currently. Will keep you posted. XCD as per earlier plans, was supposed to replace Platin and other 100cc bikes.
Old 24th December 2013, 12:12   #249
BHPian

I too am an XCD 125 owner and was very disappointed when I was informed by the dealer during a service visit that the bike has been discontinued and it would now be difficult to find spares. I bought a Pulsar 150 later and have been trying to get rid of the XCD for a year now. I must say that the XCD has served me well. I only faced issues with the bad stock wheels and the "hi-tech" digital display (well who doesn't?). The XCD also failed to deliver on the promised fuel efficiency but it still returns a decent 45 kmpl. I found it to be a decent bike overall for the price
Old 24th December 2013, 13:57   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Vijay Super was not a flop at all. In fact the Vijay blotted API's copy book by outselling its Lambretta/Lamby.
I am eager to know the relation between Vijay Super & Allwyn Pushpak. They two resembled each other very much. Allwyn Pushpak had a moveable front bumper, which probably the Lambretta (& Vijay Super?) did not have.

I asked this question because my father owned this scooter from '78-'94. We sold it for 2700 bucks in 1994!
Old 24th December 2013, 14:09   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I am eager to know the relation between Vijay Super & Allwyn Pushpak. They two resembled each other very much. Allwyn Pushpak had a moveable front bumper, which probably the Lambretta (& Vijay Super?) did not have.
I can throw some light on this. Scooters India Ltd, a Central Public Sector Undertaking licensed several companies to assemble Vijay scooters and Andhra Pradesh Scooters Ltd was one among them who named it as Allwyn Pushpak. Allwyn was a State PSU of Andhra Pradesh who formed this company. Earlier Pushpaks came with non movable front mud guards and later if I remember correctly in 1980/81 introduced the moving ones. Vijay Super also followed suit later.

Other siblings were the Kesri of Punjab Scooters and Falcon of Karnataka scooters. Steel Industries Kerala Ltd also assembled these scooters for scooters India Ltd.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 15:06   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you Rajeev for the information. Appreciate your detailed response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Earlier Pushpaks came with non movable front mud guards and later if I remember correctly in 1980/81 introduced the moving ones. Vijay Super also followed suit later.
Since, Dad bought his Allwyn Pushpak in 78-79, & it had a moveable front mudguard, hence, I think that the modification was made before '80-'81 and sometime close to 1978.
Old 24th December 2013, 16:45   #253
Senior - BHPian

Anyone remembers Bajaj Saffire? I got it back in 2001 as I was foolish enough not to be willing to wait for a month by paying the booking amount to buy a Activa. I dont think I have ever been scared of riding a two wheeler as much as I was scared with this one, coz I never knew when it would stop in the middle of the road. The most common reason for it to stop was compression leakage. I have stayed off Bajaj since then.

Dad had a Bajaj 150 and that served well for over 2 decades and i always wonder why did Bajaj stop making scooters which were reliable.
Old 24th December 2013, 17:37   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
Add to list of failures:
Hero winner
Hero Winner was my first personal vehicle (9th Grade)
bought on 15th March, 1998 for Rs 28,500 ( BR16J 9788 black color)
I had a great time with the Vehicle. The under seat was awesome and could carry a full size Ninja Helmet. I used it to carry a helmet( which I never wore back then, strictly not recommended) and stuff I wouldn't carry to home or classroom(hair gel, comb,goggles, toy gun,lighter, magazines, caps, half leather gloves with metal - aamir khan aati kya khandala wala etc etc)

It was eventually passed on to an acquaintance.
It had better pick up than a Scooty(too girlish- first love ad) and I did not want a Kinetic Honda( lot of uncleji's used it). The storage space was the most important reason for the purchase.

It could easily carry 3 school boys.
Only accessory added was a sticker " Its my Style"

It attracted the fairer skin(especially girls in senior classes) those days more than my w124 today. I never gave lift to any of them which I really regret now.
I still remember pampering it with Lakme Sunscreen lotion

I faintly remember the advertisement. Malaika Arora sitting on the Winner wearing a mini skirt and written in bold "Accessories shown are not part of the standard equipment"

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 24th December 2013 at 17:41.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 20:57   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Anyone remembers Bajaj Saffire? I dont think I have ever been scared of riding a two wheeler as much as I was scared with this one, coz I never knew when it would stop in the middle of the road.
I too had one and I can say that the Saffire did flop at the marketplace.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks