Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2009, 21:03   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda Activa niggles, issues and remedies

My 2003 Honda Activa is sparingly used, and during the six and a half years it has run about 10000 kms. Since a few months it has started to misfire at idle speed while on the move. To illustrate what I mean, say the scooter is moving at about 60 kmph and decelerates to about 10 kmph, with the throttle at the minimum. Thats the apt time for its engine to misfire. The fellow road users sometimes get a shock of their lives, feeling it may be some cracker blast or whatever.
I took it to my trusted mechanic sometime back, who said the engine will have to be opened and the whole thing may need a day of repairs and about Rs 600 from my purse. He said some Activas are reporting such a problem. I said nothing doing- no opening of a new engine just to experiment.
Then I opened the engine cover, had a look inside. Sometime spark plug gaps cause misfiring. The gap was OK and as recommended by Honda. Ended up cleaning the plug.
Just today I again pondered over what it could be? Since I use more of my SUV and car, I had rarely thought about doing something to reactivate the Activa.
The minimum idle speed on the scooter I found was set at a point, below the recommended level. This would stop the engine at red signals since months. The throttle screws below the accelerator control on the handlebar were tightened and the scooter had a run today. The misfiring has reduced a wee bit now. I hope it will be under control soon.
Meanwhile would like to hear from any member who has experience in such misfires from 100cc Honda four stroke engines.
Honda Activa niggles, issues and remedies-activa.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 6th August 2009 at 21:06.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2009, 20:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

I am not an expert, but I can surely say that this is not the time to experiment by opening the engine.

Check the two points, ignition and carb. Ignition coil is the one to be looked into. Generally these two things will solve the problem. There is either something wrong with fuel delivery or the ignition.
I have seen an Activa whose coil failed at around 6K kms. In your case its not perfectly gone, but check this.
Old 6th October 2009, 22:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Had the tuning done in a better way today.The misfiring has almost stopped. The ignition timing is a bit advanced, whereas it was found to be a bit ill tuned.
Old 21st October 2009, 18:17   #4
BHPian

anjan_c2007

My activa too had this same issue, but couldn't get this fixed for about an year. I got the carburetor cleaned for 2 times, this issue was not seen for about a week after the cleaning; but again misfiring didn't stop permanently. This wasn't the long term solution.

On intimating this issue to my friend who was working in TVS Motors, he told me to clean / change the Air Filter and replace spark plugs.
As soon as i got these changes done, misfiring disappeared.

So I suggest to change these parts and check.
Old 21st October 2009, 22:28   #5
BANNED

Check the magneto coil ..CDI unit ,ignition coil .

This sounds more of a magneto coil problem .
Old 23rd October 2009, 22:36   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosTHEjackal View Post
anjan_c2007

My activa too had this same issue, but couldn't get this fixed for about an year. I got the carburetor cleaned for 2 times, this issue was not seen for about a week after the cleaning; but again misfiring didn't stop permanently. This wasn't the long term solution.

On intimating this issue to my friend who was working in TVS Motors, he told me to clean / change the Air Filter and replace spark plugs.
As soon as i got these changes done, misfiring disappeared.

So I suggest to change these parts and check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Check the magneto coil ..CDI unit ,ignition coil .

This sounds more of a magneto coil problem .
Thanks friends for the suggestions. The misfiring is now gone after the engine timing was reset.
Old 18th April 2013, 17:00   #7
BHPian

3 Month Old Honda Activa Engine Problems

Hi

I don't know if we are allowed to post problems related to Two Wheelers here, but I will try anyways.

I am writing this on behalf of my Friend and the most knowledgeable Car Electrician Harvinder Singh. He was always a fan of Japnese Vehicles, specially Toyota and Honda. On his recommendation I bought a Toyota Camry and Honda Accord.

He bought a Honda Activa in Dec 2012 from Absolute Honda, Mahipalpur, New Delhi for his personal use. He has been having a nightmare with this vehicle which he bought after saving money for 2 years.

Since the first week the Honda Activa has had a lot of Vibration and there is a noise coming from the engine. He has taken the Activa to Absolute Honda at least 8 times in the last 4 months and reported the problem.

Every time they seem to just clean the clutch and give him the vehicle. The same noise and high vibration levels come back.

I am really sad to see Harvinder, who was such a big fan and mechanic of Honda Cars in such a miserable situation with no help from Honda or the dealership. He tells me that he is shocked by the pathetic service of the authorized dealer Absolute Honda. He has tried to get in touch with seniors at Honda, but he is unable to even get the numbers of senior people from the dealership. I am reporting this here.

If anybody can give me the numbers of senior Honda support managers in India, I would be greatful. I hope the ordeal for Harvinder is resoved soon. If he has got a Activa with a manufacturing defect, the least Honda can do is to replace his engine.

I have posted this on what seems like the official page of Honda India. Can anybody confirm that this is the official Honda India Two Wheeler Page ? If not can somebody refer me to the correct Honda India Two Wheeler page.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.ph...f&notif_t=like

Styler
Old 18th April 2013, 17:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: 3 Month Old Honda Activa Engine Problems

To cut a long story short, the engine of our Aviator seized and the vehicle was at Marikkar Honda for more than 45 days. We managed to get it through only after Honda intervened; we sold the scooter the very same week.

This is the email ID that I used, the one that worked:
Prashant Soni, Customer Relations
E-mail:- customercare@honda2wheelersindia.com

Hope it helps.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 18:52   #9
BANNED

Little OT. Recently we have acquired Honda Activa HET version. During booking procedure, we were told about long waiting periods for Activa. We then had dropeed a query on official website of Honda2Wheelers. To our surprise, we got a call from their Gurgaon office very next day. They assured us that they would take this matter with HMSI india and would coordinate with dealer.

Why don't your friend try that channel? Who knows it might be effective for your friend to raise query with Honda.
F1amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 20:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
To cut a long story short, the engine of our Aviator seized and the vehicle was at Marikkar Honda for more than 45 days. We managed to get it through only after Honda intervened; we sold the scooter the very same week.

This is the email ID that I used, the one that worked:
Prashant Soni, Customer Relations
E-mail:- customercare@honda2wheelersindia.com

Hope it helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1amit View Post
Little OT. Recently we have acquired Honda Activa HET version. During booking procedure, we were told about long waiting periods for Activa. We then had dropeed a query on official website of Honda2Wheelers. To our surprise, we got a call from their Gurgaon office very next day. They assured us that they would take this matter with HMSI india and would coordinate with dealer.

Why don't your friend try that channel? Who knows it might be effective for your friend to raise query with Honda.

I have sent them a mail already.
Let's see what happens.

Styler
Old 19th April 2013, 10:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1amit View Post
There is absolutely no waiting period for the Activa atleast here in Chennai. Only if you wanted a specific colour (mostly white) which was not in stock, you would have for wait for 7-10 days.

Last edited by GTO : 19th April 2013 at 13:35. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 21:31   #12
BHPian

re: Honda Activa niggles, issues and remedies

Hi

This is a follow up on the problem I reported here with a Honda Activa Scooter that my friend Harvinder was having.

I had reported the problem on the Honda Website http://www.honda2wheelersindia.com/contact.aspx . I also sent a mail to customercare@honda2wheelersindia.com keita.muramatsu@honda2wheelersindia.com

Honda people contacted Harvinder and called the Scooter to Bhasin Honda for a check-up.

The scooter is less than 6 months old and it is having the following problems from the beginning.
1. There is lot of vibration
2. There is an unusual sound from the engine
3. The engine oil level goes down within a week of topping up. It seems the engine is burning up engine oil.

Now the Honda people are still not willing to do anything about it, and are washing their hands off the problem. They wrote me a mail telling me that since the scooter has been driven for 10,000 kms and this implies that it is of outstanding quality and they feel the scooter is normal.

Now any technical person will agree that it is not normal for the oil level constantly go down in a six month old engine.

The sad part is that even after the president of Honda Two Wheelers India is informed, still they are not willing to fix the problem with a scooter under warranty.

We are shocked by Honda's response and the complete disregard for after sales service and warranty. I am going to take it up to the end.

Here is a copy of the email with my response to Honda...

Hi,

If you say that the following problems, specially the engine oil level going down is normal, all I can say that you are a company with no ethics and no regards for the customers.
The scooter has the following problems and these are not normal.
3. The engine oil level goes down within a week of topping up. It seems the engine is burning up engine oil.

Further, the vehicle has been used for around 10000 kms and the its performance has remained stable with regard to engine sound/vibration which itself is an indication of outstanding product quality.

With this statement you are trying to imply that 10,000 kms is sufficient life for a Honda Scooter, and 10,000 kms of running denotes outstanding product quality. If problems happen with the engine at 10,000 kms your company will wash your hands of any warranty.

Anyways now that you have refused to resolve the problem of a 6 month scooter under warranty be ready for what we can do about it.
I work for the media, and you will soon see the story about this customer experience and harassment on all consumer protection programs on television including fightback, in the next few weeks.
Moreover I will be highlighting this entire episode in all social media including facebook, and all of Honda Pages on Facebook.
We have already appointed a lawyer and will be taking legal action in the consumer court for harassment and damages.

The day is not far when you will be writing a mail of an apology to me

Amit Kalra (On behalf of Harvinder Singh)

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd May 2013 at 22:37. Reason: Removing formatting tags
Styler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 17:02   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi

This is a follow up on the problem I reported here with a Honda Activa...

We have already appointed a lawyer and will be taking legal action in the consumer court for harassment and damages.

The day is not far when you will be writing a mail of an apology to me

Amit Kalra (On behalf of Harvinder Singh)
What was the result?
Old 23rd March 2020, 23:18   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi

This is a follow up on the problem I reported here with a Honda Activa Scooter that my friend Harvinder was having.

Honda people contacted Harvinder and called the Scooter to Bhasin Honda for a check-up.

The scooter is less than 6 months old and it is having the following problems from the beginning.

Now the Honda people are still not willing to do anything about it, and are washing their hands off the problem. They wrote me a mail telling me that since the scooter has been driven for 10,000 kms and this implies that it is of outstanding quality and they feel the scooter is normal.

Now any technical person will agree that it is not normal for the oil level constantly go down in a six month old engine.

The sad part is that even after the president of Honda Two Wheelers India is informed, still they are not willing to fix the problem with a scooter under warranty.

We are shocked by Honda's response and the complete disregard for after sales service and warranty. I am going to take it up to the end.

Here is a copy of the email with my response to Honda.
Quite arrogant, hide bound and thick skinned people there at the helm. If a scooter has already run 10,000 kms, does it mean it's tested and proved and the customer is assured of a fault free performance thereafter ?

And moreover, fault rectification at the company's cost would have meant a small sum for them. The consumer court is an apt forum to show them their proper place.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 23rd March 2020 at 23:21.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 10:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
What was the result?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Quite arrogant, hide bound and thick skinned people there at the helm. If a scooter has already run 10,000 kms, does it mean it's tested and proved and the customer is assured of a fault free performance thereafter ?

And moreover, fault rectification at the company's cost would have meant a small sum for them. The consumer court is an apt forum to show them their proper place.

Hi Guys

That post was from 2013 and I had almost forgotten about it after 7 years.
What happened eventually was the Honda Dealer offered to give a New Honda Activa in exchange of the old problematic one at a good discount and a good exchange value.

Harvinder took that offer and closed the matter then.

Styler
Styler is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks