Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2010, 17:40   #316
Senior - BHPian

@Straight6 & Raccoon - Is it because the mineral oil gives more smoke to get the carbon deposits to accumulate soon? And then to retain the same state of engine is it adviced to use fully synthetic oil after that? Pls help me understand. Tks.
Old 16th July 2010, 18:35   #317
Senior - BHPian

No, its because synthetic oil kind of does its job too well, preventing the bedding in of newly finished metal surfaces. A li'l wear in running-in period is good for polishing the new surfaces and mating of moving parts...
Old 16th July 2010, 19:47   #318
Senior - BHPian

That's a fantastic piece of information Raccoon; its just 57 Kms clocked & I kinda feel little reluctant to drain the Elf (Rs 230) everything now. I'd Castrol CRB+ running in before that (just 1600 Kms) & I drained that during the engine rebuild and hence the apprehension.

Is there a recommended mineral oil for RX?
Old 19th July 2010, 18:28   #319
Senior - BHPian

I presume you are talking about transmission oil. I believe RX required 20W40. So a good 20W40 bike oil is what you should use. Good and not so good brands have been discussed in earlier posts/threads...
Old 19th July 2010, 19:34   #320
Senior - BHPian

Right, I'm talking about the 20W-40 engine transmission oil. The previous discussion educated me a lot with engine & 2T oils. As of now, I'll continue using Elf until the motorcycle clocks about 1500 Kms. After that, I'll change to mineral oil for next 5K Kms & then switch over to fully synthetic.
Old 19th July 2010, 20:12   #321
Senior - BHPian

Elf 20W40 is a pretty good oil. So is Gulf. Some have reported li'l better results with Gulf.
Old 29th July 2010, 19:44   #322
BHPian

I have been Bringing up an old thread for a small update :

Been using Shell Advance VSX 2T Semi Synthetic 2 stroke oil via injection for the past 2 years and im very happy with it . It is the best within my budget . Rs 112 for 500 ml or 224 for a litre . Pretty cheap for a Semi - Synthetic 2 stroke oil . I am not aware of any other easily available 2t which is semi synthetic available for the same price .

I am on the look out for a affordable Fully Synthetic 2t oil . I believe Shell has a the fully synthetic 2 stroke oil sold by them which is branded as Shell Advance ULTRA 2t . I am trying to get my hands on this. The packaging is similar to that of Shell Advance VSX 2t - green bottle . Will call their Head Retail Office in Blore tommorow .

Also want to know what you guys think about the Fully Synthetic 4 stroke oil - Shell Advance ULTRA 4t . Costs 700 odd bucks for a litre and its fully synthetic . Any user reviews ?

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 29th July 2010 at 19:52. Reason: highlighted certain words so that people can understand the different product codes/ names
Old 30th July 2010, 00:12   #323
Senior - BHPian

^^^Why don't you try the Motul 510 instead? Everyone I know who is using it is VERY happy with it. Plus its significantly cheaper than the Shell oil you have mentioned.
Old 30th July 2010, 01:12   #324
BHPian

^^^ why dont you tell me how much it costs and where i can purchase Motul 510 in bangalore city ? Shell Lubricants can be purchased at any Shell Service Outlet / Petrol Bunk . I pick up mine of Lavelle Road and it cost me only 224 bucks a litre . Where can i source the Motul 510 from and for how much ? Is it cheaper and better ? Also why do u think Motul 510 is better than Shell VSX - both being semi - synthetic 2 stroke oils ? Have u used Shell Advance ?

ps: I go through a litre of 2t oil on my chambered 2 stroke once every 2 weeks

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 30th July 2010 at 01:27.
Old 30th July 2010, 18:41   #325
Senior - BHPian

Yamalube (235/-) and Mak (170/-) are semi synthetic as well. Motul 510 is for 425/-.

Shell does not sell the fully synthetic 2T oil in India.

How many kms do you ride in a month?
Old 30th July 2010, 20:31   #326
BHPian

I have used Yamalube and Castrol Jettx for a few years and Mak for a few months . Didnt have a problem with Yamalube , used to get it easily in Bombay . Hardly see Yamalube here in Bangalore . Mak is crap . Jettx is really expensive and was getting rare and hard to procure when i switched to Shell 2T after which i then "discovered" Shell Advance VSX2 and ive been pretty happy with it since .

Castrol , Mak and Shell are the most popular 2T oils here in Blore . I have not seen Petronas Fully Synth here in Bangalore . Am hoping Shell will launch their fully synth version in India since it will be easily available at any Shell Retail store / Petrol Bunk and it will be relatively cheap compared to the competition .

I also believe Shell would not sell over - priced , sub - standard products like Castrol etc . I am not sure as to how many kms i do in a month but i average around 20 kms a day , 7 days a week , 365 days a year on my beloved RX

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 30th July 2010 at 20:40.
Old 30th July 2010, 21:16   #327
Senior - BHPian

@2StrokeJunkie - I would agree with you on Shell 2T Advance that its a very good oil & I've been using that for over, say 3 months now over 3000+ Kms. But I couldn't notice anything like performance or anything, need to check the piston rings may be after sometime. But one thing for sure, JetX was real good & its hard to find them as Castrol stopped manufacturing. MAK is one crap thing for sure, I agree.

@Straight6 & @Raccoon - I know you guys are experts here, but using Motul 510 for everyday use will sure burn hole in pocket than the oil itself, that too, when guys like me using a premix of about 30%.
Old 30th July 2010, 21:23   #328
BHPian

Well aargee u surely cannot expect an improvement in performance just by changing ur 2T oil . Its not like there is a super 2T oil that will de-carb ur exhaust ports , or port ur cylinder or anything . So do not expect wider powerbands and instant power wheelies by changing ur 2T oil .

The basic purpose of 2t oil is to reduce wear and tear between piston / rings / liner / top end bearings and increase/ sustain engine life as much as possible without gumming up and building up excessive carbon . in my case it must do all of the above as well as meet my budget - which shell vsx2 is doing , but i am in the market for something better ( read fully synthetic ) as long as it is affordable . vsx2 cost (224/- ) and that i can afford . am hoping shell comes out with their fully synth .

It is surprising that with Shell coming out with locally produced , high quality , affordable lubricants , no many people seem to be even aware/ or using them , motor enthusiasts included . When a reputed company comes out with world standard inexpensive products we do not encourage or patronize them , yet we cry when we get shafted over by the likes of other MNCs like Castrol "Lal Ghoda" who sell us sub standard , exorbitantly prices products !! I dont want to sound like a Shell PR agent but they have some nice stuff available at their outlets . The last time i visited on they had Shell Helix Fully Synth 4t oil that is imported for around 1000 + /- . They have a yellow and red brand of Helix 4t that is pretty cheap . They also have a Fully Synth 4t oil branded as Shell Advance Ultra 4t for around 700 odd rupees .

2t line up the best is the Shell Advance VSX2 Semi Synth . Hope they come out with the Ultra 2t fully synth shell oil . If anyone has any contacts with Shell please find out why it is not sold in India . I am sure if it is launched at a competative price it will kill most of the 2t fully synth competition , save Motul 800 factory line for race / drag bikes / rich enthusiasts .

PS : Any user reviews on Shell Ultra 4T Fully Synth ?

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 30th July 2010 at 21:36.
Old 30th July 2010, 22:32   #329
Senior - BHPian

@2stroke - I'm fully aware of the (non) performance of 2T w.r.t to motorcycles & by performance I didn't mean on porting or speeding, I meant the wear & tear on piston, cylinder & rings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie
Hope they come out with the Ultra 2t fully synth shell oil
You mean Shell Helix Ultra? I'm under the impression that this is fully synthetic or are you asking fully synthetic AND 4 stroke engine oil? But I heard there were collection on Motul & Petronas for that isn't it?

Quote:
Hope they come out with the Ultra 2t fully synth shell oil
Never; I only hope that the Govt doesn't ban the production of 2 stroke engine & 2T oil. Somehow Govt like to please UN by banning the 2 strokes in India

Quote:
I am sure if it is launched at a competative price it will kill most of the 2t fully synth competition
It might happen for 4 strokes, but almost no chances on 2 strokes. Its sad to see the pains of 2stroke junkies like us.
Old 30th July 2010, 23:17   #330
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
^^^ why dont you tell me how much it costs and where i can purchase Motul 510 in bangalore city ?
you can Pick Motul 510 from Vineet: 9886045610,he is the main Distributor for Motul Lubricants in Bangalore.

Refer to him as Arvind's Friend when you call him,so that he gives you a Discount on MRP

Last edited by nitin.dangayach : 30th July 2010 at 23:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks