Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2015, 11:24   #271
BHPian

re: Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle

Going by this thread I decided to try and upgrade the headlight on my year old TVS Jupiter which claims to have a very good headlight. My dad is the one who primarily uses this scooter especially at night since he takes it to work, the other day he was complaining that the headlight is not bright enough, I had on previous occasions thought of swapping the stock 35/35w bulb with a 55/60w bulb but didn't go through with it since I wasn't sure it will be able to take the load.

After reading through this thread where one person has done the same to his TVS Wego, I went ahead the swapped the bulbs, it was a mere 10 minute DIY and I also had a couple of spare 55/60w bulbs lying around since I have upgraded my car headlight to 90/100w bulbs.

Did the swap in the afternoon so wasn't able to test it then, so asked my dad if he felt any difference since he was the one complaining about it, he said the light is much better and the width of the throw is much wider and brighter, all in all the swap was successful.

BTW the the H4 bulb fit perfectly in the stock dome and even the connector did not need any replacement. I will try and put up pics of the same comparing it with my neighbor who also owns a Jupiter with stock headlight setup.
Old 30th November 2015, 21:11   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Connect the headlight direct to Battery, and use HID 35W 4300k. I used it for 4 years. GS150R has a wonderful HID throw, and in 2.5k, this will be the best upgrade you can do to your bike. Go for it!
Hi,

What do you thing about this listing?

Similar to something you got albeit much cheaper?
Old 1st December 2015, 14:13   #273
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, I have been using a 55/60W setup on my HH Hunk for over three years now.

The problem is, the lighting is woefully inadequate during the rains.

I was thinking a HID setup may help the situation? I do not want the local makes since they end up blinding oncoming traffic.

That is when I found this: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...headlight.html

It is a more expensive proposition, but is an effective one.

Question is, effective enough to justify the price? Rs. 10000 is a lot to pay for a headlight upgrade.

But if I am sure that it will be useful in the rains and in all conditions, I will consider it a reasonable price to pay.

Also, I have upgraded the electricals to take the load of a 55/60W halogen, will a 55W HID be overkill?
Old 1st December 2015, 15:36   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Hey guys, I have been using a 55/60W setup on my HH Hunk for over three years now.
Question is, effective enough to justify the price? Rs. 10000 is a lot to pay for a headlight upgrade.

But if I am sure that it will be useful in the rains and in all conditions, I will consider it a reasonable price to pay.

Also, I have upgraded the electricals to take the load of a 55/60W halogen, will a 55W HID be overkill?
I'm running HIDs from TRS on my car and I'm satisfied with the lights,its better than using halogens in similar conditions.

The kit you looked up seems good and yes 50w should give you more light so I'd suggest you get the 50w ballast.

How do you plan on fitting this ? Useful light for you and not blinding oncoming traffic all depends on the quality of installation.
Old 1st December 2015, 15:45   #275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The problem is, the lighting is woefully inadequate during the rains.

I was thinking a HID setup may help the situation? I do not want the local makes since they end up blinding oncoming traffic.

That is when I found this: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...headlight.html

It is a more expensive proposition, but is an effective one.

I've been using the same Mini D2S projector with the 3" lens on my car headlamps but with Osram's bulbs (not Morimoto). There is a remarkable difference in the performance but 150 USD (+ shipping charges) is a lot to spend on a bike headlamp upgrade IMO. Have you checked Aliexpress if they have a cheaper lens, xenon bulb and ballast kit? If a 35W kit can be had for under 100 USD, it may be worthwhile. Do check.

Quote:
will a 55W HID be overkill?
If you ask me, yes. A pair of 35 W xenon bulbs in a projector puts out a very bright light compared to halogens.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st December 2015 at 15:46.
Old 1st December 2015, 16:12   #276
BHPian

Quote:

The power rating of 55W of a HID system may be a nominal value. The actual value and, importantly, the current draw may be higher than expected. This is typical in many cheap(read Chinese) systems.

Whatever system you eventually upgrade to, do ensure that the electrical system is capable of accepting the additional load comfortably. Also keep in mind that at low speeds (typical city traffic conditions) the alternator output is significantly lower than the rated output. This will put a lot of load on the battery and you risk having a discharged battery.

You might be better off using auxiliary lamps (fog or driving) for bad weather. Good luck with the upgrade!
Old 11th February 2016, 13:37   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelnelly View Post
Going by this thread I decided to try and upgrade the headlight on my year old TVS Jupiter which claims to have a very good headlight. My dad is the one who primarily uses this scooter especially at night since he takes it to work, the other day he was complaining that the headlight is not bright enough, I had on previous occasions thought of swapping the stock 35/35w bulb with a 55/60w bulb but didn't go through with it since I wasn't sure it will be able to take the load.

After reading through this thread where one person has done the same to his TVS Wego, I went ahead the swapped the bulbs, it was a mere 10 minute DIY and I also had a couple of spare 55/60w bulbs lying around since I have upgraded my car headlight to 90/100w bulbs.

Did the swap in the afternoon so wasn't able to test it then, so asked my dad if he felt any difference since he was the one complaining about it, he said the light is much better and the width of the throw is much wider and brighter, all in all the swap was successful.

BTW the the H4 bulb fit perfectly in the stock dome and even the connector did not need any replacement. I will try and put up pics of the same comparing it with my neighbor who also owns a Jupiter with stock headlight setup.

I had done exactly the same on my Jupiter last year. I put in a Philips 55/60W H4 and it was a simple swap and the light improvement was really good. I had even swapped all other lights (pilots - 3W*2, instrument panel - 3W*1, rear num plate - 4W) to LEDs to minimize the extra power draw. I must have saved about 8-10W from these swaps to LEDs so the net extra power due to the headlight change is 10-12W.

However after a couple of weeks the battery started showing signs of fatigue (not enough juice left for an electric start in the morning) and gradually it died completely. I could only do a kick start. The service center had to do a full recharge to get it back to working condition. I reverted to stock 35W HS1 and things have been normal since.

The mechanic was unable to explain this behavior properly but here is my theory: The headlight is pulling more power from the alternator than it is designed to, which means lesser juice going to the battery, hence discharges faster than it is replenished. Over time (a couple of weeks) the voltage goes down below the critical limit below which normal charging is not possible by the alternator input. It needs a special charger available at the service center. This explains why the battery wasn't getting charged even if I drive for two hours in the day (without headlight usage).

If anyone has any solution for this problem please please do let me know.

Thanks,
Uday
Old 11th February 2016, 13:41   #278
BHPian

I just got my Cyclops 3800 lumen H4 LED bulb. Paid $110 overall, including International Priority Shipping. It retails for $64. Rest were shipping charges. Took exactly 30 days to arrive in my hands.
Old 11th February 2016, 13:49   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaykhan View Post
The mechanic was unable to explain this behavior properly but here is my theory: The headlight is pulling more power from the alternator than it is designed to, which means lesser juice going to the battery, hence discharges faster than it is replenished. Over time (a couple of weeks) the voltage goes down below the critical limit below which normal charging is not possible by the alternator input. It needs a special charger available at the service center. This explains why the battery wasn't getting charged even if I drive for two hours in the day (without headlight usage).

If anyone has any solution for this problem please please do let me know.

Thanks,
Uday
I don't think that the headlight can pull more power from the alternator. The poles in the alternator are divided into supplying power to the battery and the headlights. A fixed no. of poles supply power to the headlight while the remaining power the battery. They do no eat into each others quota of power supply.

In my GS150R, plonking in a 60/55W improved the light but the power from alternator was still nowhere near enough to fully enable the bulb.
Old 10th February 2017, 12:51   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjpillai View Post
In my GS150R, plonking in a 60/55W improved the light but the power from alternator was still nowhere near enough to fully enable the bulb.
Yes. I too faced the same issue on my bike (Yamaha Gladiator). So went back to 35/35W (swapped OE Halonix for Philips). Couldn't find 'Rally' bulb which has higher wattage (40/40W).

The other day I had to get some repairs done - and I found this :

Name:  Philips Rally 40W.png
Views: 5641
Size:  141.6 KB

It was exactly what I was looking for!

This bulb does have better illumination than the 35W one and throw is much better. No dazzle / blinding effect on high beam either.

It is available with Monarch Motors, Rasta Peth, Pune. Cost Rs. 199/-.
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 19:47   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post
Gurus got a query here. Please help.

Low beam of my 1992 Royal Enfield STD's head lamp died about a month back, high beam was working fine till today night. But today when I kick-started the bike with the head on, it conked off (high beam also died). I have not opened the casing yet, but I guess it is a 35/35W bulb.

Which replacement bulb do you suggest ? Can I go for higher wattage viz.55/60W. Are any additional modifications required ?

My bike has a 12V battery.
I had earlier posted the above query in Royal Enfield queries thread. Mundane, it must have been for the hard core bikers out there . I had opened the casing and I it was a Halonix 35/35W. Replaced it with a Comet 35/35W which was the only brand available at a reputed store in my home town. The bulb is is doing its duty fine, though. Now what options do I have for upgrading, while retaining the existing electrical setup.

1) Presently using a LUCAS 700 head light assembly. Can I go for a bigger reflector ? What are the options available for the standard 350 ?

2)What other bulbs are available in 35/35W power rating, but with better light output ?

3) What effect will fitting a higher wattage bulb on to the same holder have? Will the alternator be able to support ?

Posting pictures of the head lamp assembly, holder and the bulb here.

Happy and safe driving ! Thanks !!
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-img_20170203_212831.jpg  

Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-img_20170203_212551.jpg  

Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-img_20170203_212404.jpg  

Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-img_20170208_073527.jpg  

Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle-img_20170203_212312.jpg  

Old 10th February 2017, 23:08   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post
1) Presently using a LUCAS 700 head light assembly. Can I go for a bigger reflector ? What are the options available for the standard 350 ?

2)What other bulbs are available in 35/35W power rating, but with better light output ?

3) What effect will fitting a higher wattage bulb on to the same holder have? Will the alternator be able to support ?
1) Bigger reflector? How can that be fixed inside the HL ring / dome? Options available are the reflectors from TATA Ace or HM Ambassador. We used Ace reflector (From Autopal) on a 1990 Bullet and that's a perfect fit. That is designed for a H4 hulb, but a regular 12V 35/35W HS1 can be used with matching socket.

2) A few posts back, 40/40W option was mentioned (that's a news to me)

3) 35W to 40W is manageable IMO. If you are looking to upgrade further 55/60W is the next option. But I doubt if the stock coil could manage to suppor this excess need. You may end up draining the battery soon.

PS:
1) To use TATA Ace reflector, you may have to make some modifications to the socket, else that will be fouling with the speedo cable. Instead of socket assembly, we used insulated terminals only
3) My mechanic has a custom made coil (along with RR unit) to support 55/60W bulb and the output is simply superb.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 15:28   #283
BANNED

Guys, have any of you ever converted a BA20D bulb setup to a H4 setup? Some of the old motorcycles and even the CD/HF Dawn comes with BA20D bulb setup from factory.

If yes, please guide me. My CT100B came with BA20D, and the stock bulb has recently blown out and I wish to utilize the opportunity to go for a H4 conversion.
Old 27th March 2018, 16:12   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post

Guys, have any of you ever converted a BA20D bulb setup to a H4 setup? Some of the old motorcycles and even the CD/HF Dawn comes with BA20D bulb setup from factory.

If yes, please guide me. My CT100B came with BA20D, and the stock bulb has recently blown out and I wish to utilize the opportunity to go for a H4 conversion.

An old post but maybe it may help someone. I recently replaced the BA20D bulbs on my Bajaj Boxer CT 100 Deluxe, to a cool white BA20D LED ones from Aliexpress and the light output I can say is 100% better than the halogens. I went with the same wattage on bulbs so as to avoid any additional work with rewiring/battery etc. It was plug and play.
Link
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-...311.0.0.hYHQFv

Now for my dilemma on the honda Unicorn. It currently has a Philips HS1 35/35W bulb and it is average. But I want to upgrade to LED's and got a 36W H4 (with HS1 adapter) and same plug type. My issues are as follows:

1. the rubber dust cover/seal had to be cut on the inner side to make way for the fan on the LED bulb.
2. When I install the bulb and turn it on, the Low beam/High beam doesn't work. The bulb lights up only when the dipper is used.
And what a fantastic throw of light I must say. but it is unusable unless the low/highbeam works.

I highly doubt that the 1W increase in bulb capacity being the cause. Could anyone shed some light on what could be the issue. There are no workshops who specifically deal with electricals. Honda won't even touch on the wiring part for installing anything extra. I initially planned to install auxillary lights and made a DIY mount using a steel plate a pipe clamp. However, if I get this LED bulb to work I may not need the aux lights at all.
Old 27th March 2018, 16:26   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
.... upgrade to LED's and got a 36W H4 (with HS1 adapter) and same plug type.

2. When I install the bulb and turn it on, the Low beam/High beam doesn't work. The bulb lights up only when the dipper is used.
Wild guess - problem could be with the adapter.

Can you explain what exactly you wish to convey in '2' above?

BTW, is this legal?

Nowadays, I am seeing a lot of two wheelers (mostly the small capacity bikes) with a strip of LEDs fixed where the front number plate ought to be - highly irritating for the oncoming traffic, because the throw from the LEDs travels straight, rather than incline and focus on the road in front of the driver.

Most Viewed