Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2014, 12:50   #241
BANNED

re: Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle

I have an access and the headlight is so bad that I constantly put my hand in the front to check if the light is working. What is the alternate solution to this problem and any way in which I can increase the headlight power. I do not want to cut or splice up any wires either.
Old 4th December 2014, 12:55   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
I have an access and the headlight is so bad that I constantly put my hand in the front to check if the light is working. What is the alternate solution to this problem and any way in which I can increase the headlight power. I do not want to cut or splice up any wires either.
Try changing the bulb to a similar one. It can be as easy as a faulty bulb/corroded terminals/faulty grounding at the bulb holder.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 15:18   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Ruby electricals is still there at the same place & Kennedy has moved to Marathally itseems.
I along with my friend have installed Hid with FX-R projectors in my Pulsar.
Rewinding was done at Ruby Electricals & have put APE(3 wheeler) Rectifier and converted the bike to DC.
So you got the DC conversion at Ruby? how much was the cost? Was there an upgrade in battery, currently its 7aH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Try changing the bulb to a similar one. It can be as easy as a faulty bulb/corroded terminals/faulty grounding at the bulb holder.
Yes try to change the bulb. I had the same issue in Scooty, I got it changed to a different make (sorry dont know the name) and the brightness improved drastically. I guess Access has P43T connector, in that case you have a wide range.

Last edited by motomaverick : 4th December 2014 at 15:21.
Old 4th December 2014, 15:24   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
Hi guys!
I have an old Honda Activa which has a stock 35W Halonix headlamp bulb. Because of less visibility, I wish to upgrade it to a 55W bulb. I have a spare 55W Halonix H4 with me but the problem is that the new bulb does not fit in housing of the Activa's assembly. Please help.
Thanks!
I was riding with a 55/55W H4 P43t for some time but after that the reflector assy is not able to withstand the heat of a 55W halogen, so reverted back to 35W H4 HS1 which is offering better low beam spread than the stock one. I have done this mod 3 years back and still running strong without any issues AFAIK, but you need to follow a hell of tinkering work to accomplish this 55W If you have some basic knowledge about the electricals, and in a mood to be a grease monkey for some time, its no big deal.

Here's a simple tip to improve the brightness to a noticeable extent with just two wire swap. Open the seat cover, remove the three bolts inside the storage with 13mm socket and raise the engine cover. Trace the alternator out wires (green, white and black IIRC) coming from the left side of the engine (opposite side of air filter element) which is going to the regulator + rectifier unit located near the battery. There's a cable joint for these wires (below the rider seat front end and close to the running board) and swap the green wire (lighting coil) with white (battery coil). Old version Activa has allotted more charging current to battery (3.5-4A) than the lighting (3A) which is not actually required for a puny 5AH battery.

WARNING:
I've done this long back and am not sure about the colours of wires, two wires are positive and third wire is ground so please make sure the polarity of the three wires with a multimeter before swapping. Beware, a wrong wire connection can burn the entire wiring harness and lead to fire which is extremely dangerous, so do it your own risk. You need to stick to the stock wattage (35/35W) with this mod to notice the change in brightness.

Last edited by sajjt : 4th December 2014 at 15:27.
Old 4th December 2014, 15:45   #245
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
. I guess Access has P43T connector, in that case you have a wide range.
Which are the most popular ones that I can get for these and are they available online? The place where I stay does not have too many automobile shops.
Old 4th December 2014, 16:26   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Ruby electricals is still there at the same place & Kennedy has moved to Marathally itseems.
I along with my friend have installed Hid with FX-R projectors in my Pulsar.
Rewinding was done at Ruby Electricals & have put APE(3 wheeler) Rectifier and converted the bike to DC.
Please post pictures .If possible can you disclose the cost of the whole modification ?From where did you source the FX-R projector? Was the installation a "DIY "?
Old 5th December 2014, 10:07   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you got the DC conversion at Ruby? how much was the cost? Was there an upgrade in battery, currently its 7aH
I got coil winding from Ruby & some modification to rectifier to make it DC.
Cost I've mentioned down.
Battery remains the same, but would be better if you get 9ah battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Please post pictures .If possible can you disclose the cost of the whole modification ?From where did you source the FX-R projector? Was the installation a "DIY "?
Coil rewinding was 750 Rs. APE Rectifier -1200Rs
FX-R Projectors + CN Hid bulb+ Hyluxtek 35W ballasts were sourced from AES Cars China.
Yes, it was a complete DIY, myself along with my friend did it.
Note - FX-r Projector requires the Bike's reflector to be Cut.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 10:13   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Coil rewinding was 750 Rs. APE Rectifier -1200Rs
FX-R Projectors + CN Hid bulb+ Hyluxtek 35W ballasts were sourced from AES Cars China.
Yes, it was a complete DIY, myself along with my friend did it.
Note - FX-r Projector requires the Bike's reflector to be Cut.
Thanks for the breakup, any specific reasons for going with APE rectifier and not from lets say the current Pulsars that have DC lighting? One more question, after coil rewinding do the RPM drops at night when you turn on the headlights, during the day not much current will be used so might not be noticeable.
Old 5th December 2014, 11:06   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the breakup, any specific reasons for going with APE rectifier and not from lets say the current Pulsars that have DC lighting? One more question, after coil rewinding do the RPM drops at night when you turn on the headlights, during the day not much current will be used so might not be noticeable.
When converted to DC, APE rectifier provides enough current than your battery can discharge.
OEM recifier will not provide enough current to the battery for the hid to keep running continously. After sometime hid will switch off as the battery drains faster, to overcome this Piaggio APE rectifier is used.
Checkout the below threads to answer all your queries.
http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/desi-bik...ic-all-dc.html
http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/universa...ke-all-dc.html
Old 8th December 2014, 22:45   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
Is there a way with which I can connect the headlamp directly to the battery instead of the alternator?

Thanks
I see you have already got that answered, but I'll add : you can do connect the headlamp to battery directly, but if the electrical system is wired such that part of the alternator output is directed to headlamp and part to battery charging, i.e, multi-channel output rather than one, then you might face the problem of battery discharging quickly if the headlamp is hungrier for charge than the coil can supply.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 13:12   #251
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a few websites which sell "Made in Germany" bulbs. Looking for Osram Silverstar HS1.

Any leads?
Old 7th January 2015, 17:57   #252
BHPian

Is there any warranty issue if I upgrade to Philips Xtreme Vision on my Enfield CL350? I suppose this would be a plug and play since bulb parameters remain same.
Old 7th January 2015, 18:40   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Is there any warranty issue if I upgrade to Philips Xtreme Vision on my Enfield CL350? I suppose this would be a plug and play since bulb parameters remain same.
Ideally there should not be any issue. However, it is best to check with a "friendly" Enfield service guy during the first service.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 23:14   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I am looking for a few websites which sell "Made in Germany" bulbs. Looking for Osram Silverstar HS1.

Any leads?
Easiest to find are Ebay and Amazon , not the Indian counterparts but the .com ones. Mighty expensive at $30 each though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OSRAM-Silver...-/370932697122
http://www.amazon.com/Osram-64185SVS.../dp/B007UZFXLO
Old 8th January 2015, 00:00   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

Any leads?
Is this what youre looking for?I was actually looking out for Osram night racer bulbs and came across the website

http://www.vicky.in/shopping/osram-h...2v35-35w-px43t

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks