Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2013, 12:43   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Upgrading the Headlight Bulb on a motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post

Assume that your bike is UG4 which is DC lighting. Try with a 55/60W on the stock reflector and observe its supporting without any battery drain and BCU issues for a few days and then go with the upgrade. My 2 cents.
Mate,
Acknowledge your comments and as mentioned before this upgrade would make sense only if there are long term plans to retain the bike. Am sure the entire project would be around 3-5K.

But I do agree with your suggestion though.
Old 31st January 2013, 20:45   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
Finally changed the bulb to Philips xtreme - vision. Got it for Rs.500 from GP road. Changed the pilot lamps to LEDs.
Have to test it tonight. The only issue till now is that when the headlamp is on and the bike is in idle, the battery indicator starts to blink after a couple of minutes. Have to switch it off on signals i guess. Apart from this no issues.
Naveen, can you please let me know a good place in GP road to upgrade my bike's(Honda Shine) headlight?
Old 2nd February 2013, 12:46   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTorque View Post
Naveen, can you please let me know a good place in GP road to upgrade my bike's(Honda Shine) headlight?
Honda Shine does not have DC electricals AFAIK. Your's is the electric start version?. Cause as per Honda's site, the Kick start version comes with a 5AH Battery and the Electric start version comes with 7AH Battery. Not really sure if any of them will support higher wattage lamps. The one on my pulsar is a 9AH Battery.

As the bike is not full DC, you may have to through with rewinding the alternator coils to support the additional load. Unlike pulsar/avenger electricals, which are interchangable with certain editions, i doubt if there is a factory made replacement for the stock electrical systems in Honda Shine.

Let me know if you want to check out any other options. I know a bike electrician in Indra Nagar. PM me i will let you know the contact details.
knaveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2013, 13:02   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
Honda Shine does not have DC electricals AFAIK. Your's is the electric start version?. Cause as per Honda's site, the Kick start version comes with a 5AH Battery and the Electric start version comes with 7AH Battery. Not really sure if any of them will support higher wattage lamps. The one on my pulsar is a 9AH Battery.

As the bike is not full DC, you may have to through with rewinding the alternator coils to support the additional load. Unlike pulsar/avenger electricals, which are interchangable with certain editions, i doubt if there is a factory made replacement for the stock electrical systems in Honda Shine.

Let me know if you want to check out any other options. I know a bike electrician in Indra Nagar. PM me i will let you know the contact details.
Thank you for the details! I think its a lot of work to upgrade the bulb on the self-start H. Shine. I will let it be as it is.
Old 3rd February 2013, 01:32   #170
BHPian

Is it possible to improve the beam and brightness on a 1997 Bajaj Sunny Zip which has a.c. electricals? As per the manual the rating is 35 W,but it is impossible to see anything on the road in the absence of street lights. I have tried an incandescent bulb of some Eeco make but are of no use.Is it possible to fit any halogen or higher wattage bulb?Note:It does not hane any battery.your suggestions please.
Old 21st February 2013, 12:08   #171
Senior - BHPian

I just bought a Karizma R and the headlights are a dud. I have the stock 55W headlights from my esteem and a pair of Philips Diamond Vision lying around. Can I use them on the karizma ? Its has a DC setup from the factory.
Old 20th March 2013, 19:24   #172
BHPian

Somebody broke my bike's headlight glass few days back. Since its a 1996 4S Champion, i am not able to get the parts in the market. Per the wiring diagram posted at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3070657 , the bike appears to be DC.

The headlight does not work on battery and only works when the bike has been started. Although the turn indicators and tail light work on the battery.

Can somebody advice as to what options i have if i am not able to get the original light from the market?
Old 25th April 2013, 16:28   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Guys .
I have a 2008 Pulsar 200, and was thinking about upgrading the headlights .
Wanted to check , if i can put in the 55/60 H4 bulb that i have taken out of my car in-place of the stock 35/35 W bulb.
Also is there any need of separate relay or something, like we do when we upgrade the headlamp of cars .

Looking @ the previous posts, looks like it can be a simple plug and play, but didn't see any post related to Pulsar 200, so wanted to confirm .

Please advise .

Cheers
Quoting an old post but where you able to change the light without any electrical mods ? Just curious to know as i too own a P200 and low lights
are bothering.

Question to ALL : Where do i get LED pilot lights for my bike around Sarjapur/Koramangla ?

Thanks!
Old 25th April 2013, 16:34   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Quoting an old post but where you able to change the light without any electrical mods ? Just curious to know as i too own a P200 and low lights
are bothering.

Question to ALL : Where do i get LED pilot lights for my bike around Sarjapur/Koramangla ?

Thanks!
Yes , i fitted the 55/60 bulbs which i took out from my car to my bike without any mods.
The throw is definitely better than the stock ones .
But don't even try to replace the lights your self , its really tough to replace the headlight of the pulsar .

You can check with Sachin Autoshop, they will surely have led lights .

Cheers.
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 17:51   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quoting an old post but where you able to change the light without any electrical mods ? Just curious to know as i too own a P200 and low lights are bothering.
See my earlier post. I installed the Philips bulb in 55/60W 12v rating which is the same spec as stock bulb ; brightness is significantly better and beam spread too.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 18:51   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

are bothering.

Thanks!
I have been using Osram NB 60/55W for the past 4 months and I am happy with it,both in city and highway. It was just plug and play.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 23:50   #177

Pulsar 150 Headlamp Upgrade Issue

Hi all,

For better brightness, installed Avenger 180 coil (Part No: DV111005) in my pulsar 150 dtsi ug1. I put one TVS 55w/60 H4 bulb with stock wiring and holder. Within one month, the holder meleted. Mechanic told that it was due to heavy load and the bulb was chinese one. So I repaced thicker wires and H4 holder used in cars. Also gave the spare bulb of my Santro Xing (Halonix). Was working fine for 3 moths. Then suddenly, the low beam stopped working, then high beam also stopped working within few days. The Mechanic told it was problem with the wiring and he replaced the wires.The same bulb was used. But within a week, the problem resurfaced, the low beam stopped working and high beam was flickering. Last saturday, when i started the bike, there was burning smell and smoke started coming out from near the battery. I belive something shorted. So Disconnected the battery and later, smoke subsided. but burnt smell is still there. Mechanic suspects that rats might be the culprit. There were similar instances before in the flat where I live. He asked me to take it to Bajaj ASS and get it checked and replace wiring Harness completely. Any other options in Cochin ? What else could be done ?

One thing I noticed after disconnecting the battery is that High Beam and Low Beam are working perfectly. Self start, Indicators and Horn are not working, but I am able to ride the bike. The horn is an aftermarket one(pair for Roots Windtone) connected to battery.

Please help.
Old 24th May 2013, 00:42   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeri View Post

Hi all,

For better brightness, installed Avenger 180 coil (Part No: DV111005) in my pulsar 150 dtsi ug1.
You have installed the avenger 180 coil without installing the up-rated Avenger's Rectifier/Regulator assembly(RR).
Probably the RR has gone kaput due to additional load and needs a replacement.(Bulbs fusing indicates that voltage was not being regulated properly)
Does the RR get very hot after some time ? (It gets warm if the load is normal)

Now that your wiring harness is beyond repair. Get a "Minda"/ OE wiring harness along with avenger's RR.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 10:22   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeri View Post

Hi all,

For better brightness, installed Avenger 180 coil (Part No: ...

One thing I noticed after disconnecting the battery is that High Beam and Low Beam are working perfectly. Self start, Indicators and Horn are not working, but I am able to ride the bike. The horn is an aftermarket one(pair for Roots Windtone) connected to battery.

Please help.
Hi,

I was using the same setup for more than 3 years without any issues even with a 100/90W halogen on my Pulsar UG1. The only Issue was reflctor gets melted due to the excess heat. I never replaced the OE RR even after I rewinded the stator coil to run the 100/90W. Just replace your RR with Pulsar OE, you are good to go with that.

Its better to change the wiring harness than fidling with damaged one which will set you back for approx. 2K.
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 23:49   #180

Hey Guys,

I have seen couple of Dukes with the projector set up and it looks really cool. I want to get it done too.

I have few questions though -

1. Will my warranty be void? I have heard even a minute change in electrical system on Duke is sure to void your warranty .
2. What would be the approximate cost for getting it done?
3. Is it ok to fiddle around with a brand new bike or should I have some patience and wait till the warranty period is done ?
4. Can someone guide me to a tried and tested place who do a neat job of this in Bangalore?

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks